Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,604 members, 7,823,619 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? (4640 Views)

The Five Most Expensive Phones In The World / Why Do People Buy & Sell Old Social Media Accounts? / Our Once Most Expensive Phones, Now Pieces Of Scraps. How Time Flies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Nobody: 12:39am On Feb 12, 2023
I can bet anything that the average Nigerian youth now has at least an iPhone worth over 200,000 to 1 million naira, and most of these people don’t have money in their bank account. They have no job, they have no car or house or any tangible source of income but you see them with extremely expensive phones.

First I’m curious how do you people even afford these phones?

Secondly why will you choose to hold a 600k phone in your hand and have less than 50k in your account after?

Do you truly feel happy about that?

I’m not judging sincerely I’m only curious, why is this so common that we have a youth population of people who have less than 100k in their accounts but use phones of half a million naira?

iPhones are damm expensive, the iPhone 14 alone is 1 million, the rest are from 200k to 1 million, you barely see these people with old model iPhones it’s always the latest ones, especially in Lagos.

How is this even possible in a country as poor as Nigeria?

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Teeneyo(m): 12:40am On Feb 12, 2023
All na carding

If u no..u no

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Tpave(m): 12:43am On Feb 12, 2023
They do that just to oppress

6 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by hisgrace090: 4:52am On Feb 12, 2023
And outside Nigeria they make use of lattest phones yearly without even allowing any to get spoilt.
Nigerians are just managing almost everything.
Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by DonroxyII: 5:28am On Feb 12, 2023
We are Egoistic People that loves show-off...

It's bound to happen in a nation of affluence concentrated in the hands of only few ... People would do anything simply to live the Life they see around them !

If you no dey use iPhone in Nigeria of today e be like say U no dey use Phone and God no dey Ya Side grin ... That's the Street Mentality no thanks to Yahoo Boys that Proliferate Most Nigerians Girls with iPhone Craze grin

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by kevoh(m): 5:40am On Feb 12, 2023
Tpave:
I might be getting a bit old to understand such things but how do you oppress with a phone? I can agree using a car or a house to "oppress" others because, out of experience, I know what it takes to maintain them. But a phone? I fail to see the oppression. How does this oppression work?

24 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by MightySparrow: 6:23am On Feb 12, 2023
To flex

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by imagrg(m): 6:29am On Feb 12, 2023
They buy these phones with stolen money. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Rexymania(m): 7:13am On Feb 12, 2023
Hmmmm... Na everybody know wetin them dey pursue. Leave them, some are buying those phones for business, while some are buying it for bragging 😁

5 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by zed7: 7:24am On Feb 12, 2023
Every girl seem to have an iPhone and use Brazilian hair. From the cleaners in the office to the receptionist in the hotels. I keep wondering how people are able to afford these things with their 30k minimum wage.
The answer has to be men. Nigerian men are known to be 'providers ' at their own expense of comfort.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Uncle96(m): 8:01am On Feb 12, 2023
To be honest its crazy, Yestday I saw nothing less than 20 people looking like dey beg to feed daily using Iphone worth nothing less than 250k- 300k.

11 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Makaveli217(m): 9:28am On Feb 12, 2023
An average Nigeria youth is naturally mentally broke with low self esteem, low self confidence, self worth and value, they have nothing to offer, so their self esteem and self worth lies in just a phone, that's why they place so much value on iphone so they can appear valuable to people, because Nigerians worship material things.

A song says "Landlord travel and see", some Nigerians need to travel round the world and see how normal people live, that's when you'll know that your iPhone you worship is nothing to some people, you'll see people buying gadgets worth millions of dollar, and they don't make noise about it, not even their friends or next door neighbor will know, you wouldn't even see them post it on social media, but here is the opposite, that's why people commit crimes to get these things so they can feel among.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Femolacaster(m): 9:30am On Feb 12, 2023
We like show off, fake lifestyles....

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Kobicove(m): 9:36am On Feb 12, 2023
Most people do it just to show off undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by freddie009(m): 9:50am On Feb 12, 2023
It's ultimately up to individuals to decide how they spend their money, but generally speaking, there are many better ways to use money than buying multiple expensive phones. Prioritizing things like saving for emergencies, paying off debts, and investing in education or skills development can provide more long-term benefits than temporary material possessions. Additionally, being mindful of one's spending habits and setting a budget can help prevent financial struggles and promote financial stability.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by falcon01: 10:38am On Feb 12, 2023
Well, The thing is what You lack in life you have to compensate In materials things, maybe you come from poor miserable family, you had a pathetic life, maybe all your life youve been bullied and oppressed by people who are doing well, maybe people have been looking down on you and you feel worthless so what's the easiest way to Prove to people you are worth something? It's by attaching yourself to something of value. The Iphone is a symbol of wealth, Cars like Mercedes benz, BMW and Branded Clothings are seeing as Symbols of wealth you don't have to say hey look I am rich, I have money but these material things will speak for you. In Simple terms people use these expensive products to overcompensate for what they lack in Life, they use it as a mask to cover the fact that deep down they feel small and Insignificant and hate themselves.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Reelmii: 11:08am On Feb 12, 2023
So person no fit use him money....hard earned money ooo...take buy wetin him like without people saying its show off or oppression....... but if person buy expensive phone give u as gift,, u no go reject am....hypocrites

U people should better change ur mentality so that u can enjoy good things of life

5 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by tuclap(m): 11:18am On Feb 12, 2023
Teeneyo:
All na carding

If u no..u no
You get work for me?
Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Sweetvie: 11:40am On Feb 12, 2023
Show off smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by WholeLottaDrip2(m): 1:16pm On Feb 12, 2023
Tpave:
?? U feel oppressed by anoda man's lifestyle, then that's ur problem
Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by WholeLottaDrip2(m): 1:17pm On Feb 12, 2023
Pocket watching ass conversations...
Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 12, 2023
So many inferiority complex, -0 self esteem peeps on here, mostly coming from guys, some even had to make it a female gender thing, envious, sad lots

People use expensive phones because they LOVE to use expensive phones, and since they can afford it, they buy it,

Now why you guys are butt hurt about it beats me, people's lifestyle and what they choose to buy for themselves shouldn't affect your existence, look away if the oppression hurts you, or hustle to be in their shoes so you can afford whatever you crave for, life is not that hard.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by KilimanjaroKING: 1:32pm On Feb 12, 2023
That reminds me of my ex apartment, next to my apartment is rented by an "upcoming yahoo boi" joined by extra 6 of his "friends" in a room sef o 🥴, everyone of them is using the iPhone wit 3 cameras weda nah the attache or the original one ano know but dis boiz can literally borrow your "eye".
i tink say nah only me untill i started hearing complains from other neighbors too which makes me wonder 🤔...

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Greatzeus(m): 1:55pm On Feb 12, 2023
Jovialjune1:
So many inferiority complex, -0 self esteem peeps on here, mostly coming from guys, some even had to make it a female gender thing, envious, sad lots

People use expensive phones because the LOVE to use expensive phones, and since they can afford it, they buy it,

Now why you guys are butt hurt about it beats me, people's lifestyle and what they choose to buy for themselves shouldn't affect your existence, look away if the oppression hurts you, or hustle to be in their shoes so you can afford whatever you crave for, life is not that hard.
The Op wasn't against buying expensive phones you can afford. He was curious and asking why some people use expensive phones and have next to nothing as savings. If you use a phone of N400k or half a million and you eat from hand to mouth,or you have a miserable N50k in your account, you're a loser period.
You can give your opinion now since you now know what the thread is about. You probably jumb to comment without reading the OP's body of content before.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 12, 2023
Greatzeus:

The Op wasn't against buying expensive phones you can afford. He was curious and asking why some people use expensive phones and have next to nothing as savings. If you use a phone of N400k or half a million and you eat from hand to mouth,or you have a miserable N50k in your account, you're a loser period.
You can give your opinion now since you now know what the thread is about. You probably jumb to comment without reading the OP's body of content before.

I read the body of Op opinion and my previous comment still stands

They buy it because they can afford it, what they have in their account before and after the purchase doesn't affect you and Op's existence, just cos they have nothing after buying it doesn't mean they can't have enough later, or you think rich people don't encounter tough times? Common sense should tell you that for them to be able to afford it means they once had more than enough, so look away from people's way of life if the oppression hurts you and face your existence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by copyrites: 2:04pm On Feb 12, 2023
The matter dey shock me to be honest.

Phone - 700k
Salary - 100k

cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by weslay: 2:17pm On Feb 12, 2023
I beta pass You syndrome. Not in all cases though

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by EbenezerTriumph: 2:18pm On Feb 12, 2023
Teeneyo:
All na carding
If u no..u no
giftcards, iTunes?
Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by faceland: 2:18pm On Feb 12, 2023
Braintaf23:
I can bet anything that the average Nigerian youth now has at least an iPhone worth over 200,000 to 1 million naira, and most of these people don’t have money in their bank account. They have no job, they have no car or house or any tangible source of income but you see them with extremely expensive phones.

First I’m curious how do you people even afford these phones?

Secondly why will you choose to hold a 600k phone in your hand and have less than 50k in your account after?

Do you truly feel happy about that?

I’m not judging sincerely I’m only curious, why is this so common that we have a youth population of people who have less than 100k in their accounts but use phones of half a million naira?

iPhones are damm expensive, the iPhone 14 alone is 1 million, the rest are from 200k to 1 million, you barely see these people with old model iPhones it’s always the latest ones, especially in Lagos.

How is this even possible in a country as poor as Nigeria?

My phone can't be more expensive than a laptop or motorcycle. If am very rich and have dollars account filled with money, I might go for an iPhone to make sure no hackers steal my money.

My favorite brand is iTel (it has fractures that save battery and it was made for the Nigerian Jungle). I bought my first one for 19k when I was broke and my phone needed replacement and since patronized the brand for almost 4 years in a role. Even my next phone would be an iTel (last changed my phone around 6am and it is currently 40% by 2pm).

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by chingle5(m): 2:19pm On Feb 12, 2023
Why do i feel like if i should comment i will just swear for some people sad undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by EbenezerTriumph: 2:23pm On Feb 12, 2023
zed7:
Every girl seem to have an iPhone and use Brazilian hair. From the cleaners in the office to the receptionist in the hotels. I keep wondering how people are able to afford these things with their 30k minimum wage.
The answer has to be men. Nigerian men are known to be 'providers ' at their own expense of comfort.
I worked in a hotel during the ASUU strike bro all the waitresses and cleaners are all holding at least an iPhone 12.
their monthly income is nothing more than 25k.
guess what? simps do transfer 50k to these girls as weekly upkeep but when he comes around the hotel he not dey give me shingbai

8 Likes

Re: Why Do You Nigerian People Buy Expensive Phones? by faceland: 2:23pm On Feb 12, 2023
zed7:

I seen cleaner that wore cloth that is her salary.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tecno Phantom F6 Is Out / 31 Reasons You Should Get Rid Of Your Smartphone Immediately / Download D Latest Version Of Gb Whatsapp. Here 9.1.1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.