Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,297 members, 7,864,447 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 06:21 PM

Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? (984 Views)

6 Reasons Why Nigeria Is A Better Place To Live Than Foreign Country / My Experience In Germany As A Foreign Student / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by sihamey: 1:08pm On Feb 20, 2023
I'm currently in Nigeria working for a foreign company remotely, my offer came in as full time employment. I earn 2k USD monthly. Can I apply for PR in the country I'm working remotely. ? Or i need to relocate to the counrty before i will be granted a PR
Re: Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by ednut1(m): 4:00pm On Feb 20, 2023
sihamey:
I'm currently in Nigeria working for a foreign company remotely, my offer came in as full time employment. I earn 2k USD monthly. Can I apply for PR in the country I'm working remotely. ? Or i need to relocate to the counrty before i will be granted a PR
you can only get work permit via job offer for most countries if the employer sponsors you. You can then get pr after working in the country for the specified number of year. Some do 3 , some do 5 years .
Re: Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:33pm On Feb 20, 2023
It doesn't guarantee anything except the employer sponsors you on a work visa and even at that it's not immediately. It will still take at least 5 years in a majority of countries to become a PR.

1 Like

Re: Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by sihamey: 4:47pm On Feb 20, 2023
ednut1:
you can only get work permit via job offer for most countries if the employer sponsors you. You can then get pr after working in the country for the specified number of year. Some do 3 , some do 5 years .
Okay. Since I have job offer but work remotely does it mean I must need work permit and work in said country before seeking for PR or working remotely is counting for the number of years of employment with the said company then when I reach number of specific year I seek for PR ?
Re: Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by ednut1(m): 4:49pm On Feb 20, 2023
sihamey:

Okay. Since I have job offer but work remotely does it mean I must need work permit and work in said country before seeking for PR or working remotely is counting for the number of years of employment with the said company then when I reach number of specific year I seek for PR ?
remote does not count , you were not resident in the country
Re: Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by sihamey: 4:55pm On Feb 20, 2023
ednut1:
remote does not count , you were not resident in the country
Okay
Re: Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by Ggetter50: 10:21pm On Feb 20, 2023
sihamey:
Hi there,

I don't know the exact country where you got your remote job from, so I would give a general answer.

You can actually get a residence permit of the country, I think you have to inform your employer about it if they accept to sponsor you to come over, however, they would have to re-evaluate the terms and condition of your job. In this case, your job has to be for onsite rather than remote, with this, you stand a better chance of getting work visa/permit.

You cannot get PR (Permanent Residence) just like that, it has many requirements you need to fulfill before you can be given that, unless if you win a DV lottery to the US, Express Entry to Canada, or the immigration program to Australia/New Zealand... With all these, you can easily become a Permanent Resident. Otherwise, many countries require you to live for 5years legally in their country before you can apply for PR... But I'm guessing you wanted to say RP (Residence Permit).

My advice, it's better to check very well if $2k will be sufficient for you when you move to such country. You know $2k is actually a good salary for someone living in Naija, so try to make your calculation before any move.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by sihamey: 8:33am On Feb 21, 2023
Ggetter50:

Hi there,

I don't know the exact country where you got your remote job from, so I would give a general answer.

You can actually get a residence permit of the country, I think you have to inform your employer about it if they accept to sponsor you to come over, however, they would have to re-evaluate the terms and condition of your job. In this case, your job has to be for onsite rather than remote, with this, you stand a better chance of getting work visa/permit.

You cannot get PR (Permanent Residence) just like that, it has many requirements you need to fulfill before you can be given that, unless if you win a DV lottery to the US, Express Entry to Canada, or the immigration program to Australia/New Zealand... With all these, you can easily become a Permanent Resident. Otherwise, many countries require you to live for 5years legally in their country before you can apply for PR... But I'm guessing you wanted to say RP (Residence Permit).

My advice, it's better to check very well if $2k will be sufficient for you when you move to such country. You know $2k is actually a good salary for someone living in Naija, so try to make your calculation before any move.

All the best.
Thank you for your explanations. Actually i do not want to relocate now to the country, i wanted to see if is possible to get PR using number of years i work remotely then i can easly visit the country anytime i want without huddles but with information i got here, it does not work like that i have to reside there with work permit then after some years i might be given PR.
Re: Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by Ggetter50: 7:05pm On Feb 21, 2023
sihamey:

Thank you for your explanations. Actually i do not want to relocate now to the country, i wanted to see if is possible to get PR using number of years i work remotely then i can easly visit the country anytime i want without huddles but with information i got here, it does not work like that i have to reside there with work permit then after some years i might be given PR.

Great! As many have said, yes, you have to live in the country in order to receive PR. Which field of IT are you in?
Re: Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by marvejmc(m): 2:24pm On Feb 22, 2023
You can’t get a resident permit that way but however there’s the Digital Nomad Visa. This type of visa allows you to travel to another country and still work remotely for the same company. Pls note that this is not a part way to permanent residence and the company you’re working with must not be in the same country you’re moving to. Examples are Estonia, Germany… you can check for others na their requirements. wink
sihamey:
Re: Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by sihamey: 10:40pm On Feb 22, 2023
Ggetter50:

Great! As many have said, yes, you have to live in the country in order to receive PR. Which field of IT are you in?
Okay
I am a Data Scientist

1 Like

Re: Does Working Remotely For A Foreign Country Guarantee Permanent Residents ? by sihamey: 10:43pm On Feb 22, 2023
marvejmc:
You can’t get a resident permit that way but however there’s the Digital Nomad Visa. This type of visa allows you to travel to another country and still work remotely for the same company. Pls note that this is not a part way to permanent residence and the company you’re working with must not be in the same country you’re moving to. Examples are Estonia, Germany… you can check for others na their requirements. wink
Okay I got it . Thanks

(1) (Reply)

USA Welcoming Illegal Immigrants. I Have An Idea / Study In Japan / Usa Which Is Better Invite Or Hotel Reservation: Urgent Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.