Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,500 members, 7,854,126 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 11:12 AM

Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? (550 Views)

I'm Addicted To Eating Biscuits! / 20 Foods That Are Killing You Slowly / 16 States & FCT May Face Food Crisis In 2018 (List Of The States) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by gard9ner(m): 4:47pm On Mar 02, 2023
I never realised that alcohol can be this enjoyable, all my life I’ve always detested ppl that drink, whenever the topic comes up I always remember a certain wealthy man when I was younger, even with all his wealth he would drink himself to stupor every night and vomit, his driver would have to carry him, it was a very bad experience as neighbours to witness those nights especially as a young boy. So I concluded that drinking is unacceptable and I grew up with that ideology, not until recently I’ve started having a rethink.

For sometime now, especially couple of weeks ago leading to last Saturday’s election, I’ve been having a difficult time, I feel like I’m drowning sometimes, maybe it’s midlife’s crisis I don’t know, I don’t know how that feels but what I know is that I was gifted a bottle of expensive vodka last week and I accepted knowing fully well what I was getting into, I knew I was going to step into another phase in my life, I could have sold the drink but no, I kept it.

Like I said already, it’s been rough with me lately, the current cash crunch in the country isn’t helping, the last strew came when last Saturday’s election was announced by 4am, I was awake watching, it struck me like a bolt of lighting, I felt speechless physically but this deep hurt like my soul was groaning. Fast forward to date, I’ve consumed a couple of bottles like bloody mary, VSOP and other spirits which I mix in chilled soft drinks. I so much enjoy this new habit, I can never drink to stupor, I just lock up myself in my lounge, play some music and sip away or lock myself in my car at night and sip with music, I stop when I start feeling a bit sleepy, I just sleep quietly and peacefully. My wife just smells the stuff on me but hasn’t said anything, as I still talk reasonably and even engage her with more humor in those hours, I’ve also noticed that the house is stress-free, no arguments or hard conversations when I consume too.

Here’s my problem guys, deep inside me I know I’m doing something wrong, which is why I’m posting this anyway, even though I feel peaceful when I consume. I wasn’t raised this way, my father was never an alcohol person. I feel something is wrong and somehow I feel like I’m drowning and need help (laughs). I don’t know if this will get worse overtime or if I might be tempted to do more than this in future. I know I can never do drugs, smoke etc but this highness things is eating me, I just finished the last bottle of Strumbras spirit now which I shared with a visitor, I now think it’s even more pleasurable sharing a drink with someone. I’ve ran out of bottles now and I’m considering restocking but I’m led by the spirit to post this, I don’t want preaching, I just want to read other ppl’s comment and experience and how they navigated this phase of life (midlife crisis), preferably elders in the house if any, if you’re 40 and below and have no useful contribution pls don’t comment. I need this to get to FP. Thanks.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by incandescentena: 4:52pm On Mar 02, 2023
You are doing well

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by jchioma: 5:09pm On Mar 02, 2023
Please STOP. Alcohol never did anybody good. In the end it will only draw you back, financially, spiritually and even physically, You may try to engage yourself with other activities that will take your mind off the need to drink alcohol, but if you must drink, please be moderate. You can do it, I'm talking from life's experience.

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by ResidentSnitch(f): 5:15pm On Mar 02, 2023
Don't be too hard on yourself.
The advantages of relaxing once in a while with a bottle or two of alcohol can far outweigh the disadvantages. Just always try to meet up with your responsibilities; love them, protect and provide for them. Then you're good to go.
90 years is not forever; it's like a blink of the eye.

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by mariahAngel(f): 5:37pm On Mar 02, 2023
Alcohol is not all that bad, but it is too much of it that is bad.
The question is can you control the urge to have a little more?

Your case is almost like that of a child that was never allowed some freedom, who when he/she finally gets it, they overdo (abuse) the freedom to make up for the (lost) years they were not allowed to.

Whatever you do, do consciously with discipline.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Dreadlock69(m): 10:31pm On Mar 02, 2023
Try getting addicted to loud and colorado instead
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by finallybusy: 2:00pm On Aug 28, 2023
gard9ner:
I never realised that alcohol can be this enjoyable, all my life I’ve always detested ppl that drink, whenever the topic comes up I always remember a certain wealthy man when I was younger, even with all his wealth he would drink himself to stupor every night and vomit, his driver would have to carry him, it was a very bad experience as neighbours to witness those nights especially as a young boy. So I concluded that drinking is unacceptable and I grew up with that ideology, not until recently I’ve started having a rethink.

For sometime now, especially couple of weeks ago leading to last Saturday’s election, I’ve been having a difficult time, I feel like I’m drowning sometimes, maybe it’s midlife’s crisis I don’t know, I don’t know how that feels but what I know is that I was gifted a bottle of expensive vodka last week and I accepted knowing fully well what I was getting into, I knew I was going to step into another phase in my life, I could have sold the drink but no, I kept it.

Like I said already, it’s been rough with me lately, the current cash crunch in the country isn’t helping, the last strew came when last Saturday’s election was announced by 4am, I was awake watching, it struck me like a bolt of lighting, I felt speechless physically but this deep hurt like my soul was groaning. Fast forward to date, I’ve consumed a couple of bottles like bloody mary, VSOP and other spirits which I mix in chilled soft drinks. I so much enjoy this new habit, I can never drink to stupor, I just lock up myself in my lounge, play some music and sip away or lock myself in my car at night and sip with music, I stop when I start feeling a bit sleepy, I just sleep quietly and peacefully. My wife just smells the stuff on me but hasn’t said anything, as I still talk reasonably and even engage her with more humor in those hours, I’ve also noticed that the house is stress-free, no arguments or hard conversations when I consume too.

Here’s my problem guys, deep inside me I know I’m doing something wrong, which is why I’m posting this anyway, even though I feel peaceful when I consume. I wasn’t raised this way, my father was never an alcohol person. I feel something is wrong and somehow I feel like I’m drowning and need help (laughs). I don’t know if this will get worse overtime or if I might be tempted to do more than this in future. I know I can never do drugs, smoke etc but this highness things is eating me, I just finished the last bottle of Strumbras spirit now which I shared with a visitor, I now think it’s even more pleasurable sharing a drink with someone. I’ve ran out of bottles now and I’m considering restocking but I’m led by the spirit to post this, I don’t want preaching, I just want to read other ppl’s comment and experience and how they navigated this phase of life (midlife crisis), preferably elders in the house if any, if you’re 40 and below and have no useful contribution pls don’t comment. I need this to get to FP. Thanks.
You are a very foolish human being with nothing to contribute in life. Agbaya oshi looking for respect on an anonymous platform. At best, you’re a bricklayer who birthed a child early in secondary school so believe everyone is at your level in life. Go and search for respect in the real world. Stop typing rubbish, the act will get you nowhere.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by finallybusy: 2:02pm On Aug 28, 2023
Honestly, I don’t blame you. It’s the foolish moderators I blame who have gone low in search of traffic and clicks. Dregs like you are not meant to spew graffiti in such a platform. Then again, Nairaland was a landfill to begin with. Foolish human being.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Bfly: 8:14pm On Aug 28, 2023
I tell people, do what you gon do, pass through what you pass through but in it all don't stay idle and don't get too broke that you start begging to feed your habit. The phase will pass. Life is experiential

(1) (Reply)

Call Me For Original,undiluted,pure Honey From The East / Sultavita New Product Form New Castie Food Technology / What Is Your Favourite Food?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.