Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,550 members, 7,955,050 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:24 PM

The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. (2220 Views)

SOLD!!! Reg Infiniti FX35 Pimped With American Upgrades. *MUSTSEE* / NEED Spare Parts For Your CARs and SUVs? / BUY YOUR CARS,SUVs,BUSES,TRUCKS FRM COTONOU.CALL; 07033100180,Ismail. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by Okejazz(m): 9:13pm On Aug 30, 2007
Fellas, I would like to hear your input on this.

There is the general acceptance of the Toyotas, the Hondas and the rest of the likes of Japanese made vehicles in Nigeria. What about American vehicles and are they any good on Nigerian roads?
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by Jakumo(m): 9:25pm On Aug 30, 2007
American SUVs are generally less reliable but far more powerful than Japanese ones.  Take your pick between more horsepower and more frequent repair bills ( US ), or less power and fewer repairs (Japan)
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by Okejazz(m): 7:35pm On Aug 31, 2007
Unreliable !!! Common dude, there is got to be more to it why these American SUVs are seemingly axiomatic in Nigeria and enamored of in the US, other than their unreliability. I would suppose as a vast majority are bulky 4X4 they would come in good use for traveling in rural areas.

In any case, if made to choose among these vehicles (American SUV) which would you suggest? The Hummers, the Jeeps, Chevys, Fords,GMCs, etc?
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by labiyemmy(m): 7:40pm On Aug 31, 2007
If u know anyone who has any of these jeeps that comes with in -car navigation systems and doesnt work but wants it to work with Nigerian maps - please holla at us or visit:

http://www.ceaser-web.com/pda/default.asp

Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by sultaan(m): 4:42am On Sep 01, 2007
I'm not sure of the type of fuel used in Nigeria, but American trucks are made to run on unleaded. They have sensors all over that will shut down the truck to prevent further damage if it senses malfunction. Most people who buy these truck don't even know you are require to change your oil& filter @ about 7000 miles interval instead of topping it off.
If you don't know what MAP, TPS, IAC, O2, Knock sensors are you are not ready for that newer vehicles. If you want a reliable jeep I'll recommend the cherokee with the I6 engine CHeap made for offroad.Most American trucks are made for highway(100km/hr) and very little offroad, Nigerian roads are 100% offroad in American terms. Japanese do not have a lot of highways so their cars are designed around stop'ngo traffic.

If I have to choose, I choose American anytime powerful and fun to drive.
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by nairamar(m): 2:44pm On Sep 04, 2007
sultaan,

would you recommend the 2001 Grand Cherokee for Lagos?, my reasoning is that the Grand Cherokee is a full time 4X4 and is best suited for Nigeria.

Do you agree? My current 2005 C class kompressor is useless on roads in surulere and the mainland in general.

Potholes have wrecked all my alloy wheels, total useless in Nigeria.
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by sultaan(m): 11:47pm On Sep 04, 2007
A GC will be a wonderful idea because its stronger that a 4runner, less attractive to robbers and uses a timing chain. I don't think its a fulltime 4x4 but selectrac(use 4x4 mode only when needed, using it on road will ruin your system)
.A full time 4x4 is the AWD.GC has some weak points which can be found on carsurvey.org If they were taken in for repair by original owner you are in for a long trouble free ride. No engine nor transmission weakness.
A very low profile version is the Cherokee, or Liberty(diff engine)
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by promise72(m): 5:16am On Sep 05, 2007
Avoid Troubles. Repeat after me: 4-Runner. Hear me now, Believe me later. a word is enough for the wise!
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by sultaan(m): 7:12am On Sep 05, 2007
Okay get the Montero, its way cheaper than others. If you can take 5 bolts off a car for repair by yourself get a jeep, if not 4Runner.
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by promise72(m): 7:23am On Sep 05, 2007
@ Topic poster

Jeep Cherokees are stupid. Guzzles a lot of gas and mountain of electrical problems. Mits Montero is just a tad better than cherokees . 2 much gas.

Read my lips. Stop listening to those who are barely smart enough to tie their shoes in the morning. grin

Theres no subtitute for the best. Go for the king. 4-Runner.
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by nairamar(m): 8:41pm On Sep 05, 2007
You guys are too much!

So the Grand Cherokee is out, so is it the 2001 Toyota 4Runner or 2001 Nissan Pathfinder?
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by sultaan(m): 5:35pm On Sep 06, 2007
@Promise72

Now see what you've done.
The guy was just looking a options and I was trying to debunk the American cars are bad idea.Now you messed it all up.

If you new views from Americans, check MNS.com used auto reviews. There is more on carsurvey.org
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by Panache(m): 8:37pm On Oct 12, 2007
American SUVs are good for their looks and options. However, I will advise you to avod American cars in Naija, go for the Hondas,Toyotas,Isuzus and Mitsubishis. Apart from the fact that they are durable, our mechanics also have an idea of how they work. Experience is the best teacher
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by sultaan(m): 6:47am On Oct 13, 2007
Panache, which American car did you have experience with? I got the manual and I fix most of the service parts myself. I have used Chrysler products and they've been good
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by Ivvie: 5:51pm On Oct 13, 2007
Avoid anything that is Chrysler - that goes to say Jeep whatever unless you are savvy. If you want to go offroad, you need a Wrangler because of its short wheelbase frame. Anything else, you are wasting your time.

American 4 X 4's or 2 X 4's are not reliable in the States, so it wouldn't survive in Nigeria. They are gas guzzlers and use up so much resources and it's efficiency is poor. They roll over and perform like pickup trucks. The best part of it is that they can't off-road.

It doesn't matter how you take care of an american vehicle, it's designed not to last. They are built bad. Anything on a bad foundation will never hold up it's image, no matter how fancy.
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by hbrednic: 11:34pm On Oct 13, 2007
land rover(range rover) is the best suv,has been in nigeria for long.
parts and mechanics for it are readily available.bye it now,u will never regret.
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by sultaan(m): 6:54am On Oct 14, 2007
Ivvie:

Avoid anything that is Chrysler - that goes to say Jeep whatever unless you are savvy. If you want to go offroad, you need a Wrangler because of its short wheelbase frame. Anything else, you are wasting your time.

American 4 X 4's or 2 X 4's are not reliable in the States, so it wouldn't survive in Nigeria. They are gas guzzlers and use up so much resources and it's efficiency is poor. They roll over and perform like pickup trucks. The best part of it is that they can't off-road.

It doesn't matter how you take care of an american vehicle, it's designed not to last. They are built bad. Anything on a bad foundation will never hold up it's image, no matter how fancy.

I like jeeps, apart from the rotor/caliper problems, blend doors (Limited); the engines(I6,V8) are great will last atleast 250k before rebuilt. I hope you know how long you'll have to drive it to hit 200k.
Here is a comparison from MSN on a 4Runner and a Grand Cherokee.
The 4Runner is the gas guzzler, and for $5000 difference in price, I'll upgrade the brakes myself.The jeep is lesslikely to be taken away by robbers,more powerful parts are cheaper.
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by Ivvie: 7:59pm On Oct 14, 2007
There is no Jeep or American vehicle that will last you 250000 without draining your wallet.  They aren't built to last that long.  By 50,000 miles, they are money pits and they don't ride well.  Everything begins to fall apart.

Toyota's are built well, though underpowered. They are designed for 10 years, 200,000 before it gives up on you. Jeeps are gas guzzlers (no doubt smiley )
Re: The Issue With American Suvs In Nigeria. To Do Or Not To Do. by sonety2k(m): 2:26am On Dec 02, 2008
sad

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Cars In Nigeria / 2007 Honda Accord V6 (america Spec) / Less Dan 6 Month Registerd 05 Accord(eod) With Navi Jus 1.150m 08097930879

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.