Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' (15313 Views)

New Movie Titled Don Jazzy / 50 Cent Lost A Lot Of Weight For His Upcoming Movie "things Fall Apart"pix / What Song Was Played In The Movie Titled 'A Million Tears'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by JamesDoe: 8:42am On Sep 15, 2011
Odd that 50cents had to change the title.

Although it is possible that Chinua Achebe had trademarked or secured a copyright for the title (book, play or film?)

In any case, 50cents don't insult our Uncle Chinua,
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Myself2(m): 9:01am On Sep 15, 2011
Fitty,always controversial
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by werepeLeri: 9:03am On Sep 15, 2011
WTF.

So because someone used a Title for a book written since when, then, no one should use the title again? Did he buy the copyright to the title? How many movies out there that bear or even has the same name? Come on. The funniest part is this- you claim the book is famous worldwide and yet the guy havent even heard of the title before - LOL. Famous indeed.

Where are the legal luminaries in the house - how many books worldwide share the same title with movies?

Abeg - what is the team out to achieve? I cant understand .
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by logica(m): 9:08am On Sep 15, 2011
I repeat, 50 Cent is lying if he says he never heard about the book. For some reason that's apparent to me, I know he probably heard about the book in 2002/2003. smiley
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 15, 2011
digression

I think Yeats's poem was beautiful

Achebe is not the sole owner of the sentence.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Myself2(m): 9:17am On Sep 15, 2011
werepeLeri:

WTF.

So because someone used a Title for a book written since when, then, no one should use the title again? Did he buy the copyright to the title? How many movies out there that bear or .

It's called COPYRIGHT dammit
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by logica(m): 9:17am On Sep 15, 2011
I don't know why some people here like to argue. 50 Cent is no fool, and he will not have offered Achebe $1 million if Achebe did not have a valid claim to the title.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Niggmatic: 9:22am On Sep 15, 2011
werepeLeri:

WTF.

So because someone used a Title for a book written since when, then, no one should use the title again? Did he buy the copyright to the title? How many movies out there that bear or even has the same name? Come on. The funniest part is this- you claim the book is famous worldwide and yet the guy havent even heard of the title before - LOL. Famous indeed.

Where are the legal luminaries in the house - how many books worldwide share the same title with movies?

Abeg - what is the team out to achieve? I cant understand .
Are you askingus? Provide the answers or keep shut, dude.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by werepeLeri: 9:38am On Sep 15, 2011
Myself2:

It's called COPYRIGHT dammit

LOL - so the Nigga man has copyright to the statement he used from a previous person? These niggas fool themselves.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by werepeLeri: 9:39am On Sep 15, 2011
Niggmatic:

Are you askingus? Provide the answers or keep shut, dude.

You simply meant - you dont know the answers-

I understand though. You are clueless.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by felifeli: 9:40am On Sep 15, 2011
Actually Achebe plagiarised the title of his book. He should also have acknowledged that it came from Yeats' poem.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by logica(m): 9:49am On Sep 15, 2011
felifeli:

Actually Achebe plagiarised the title of his book. He should also have acknowledged that it came from Yeats' poem.
Let me tell you a little story:

Bafana-Bafana; the name the South African soccer team is endearingly called was coined by a reporter. I doubt if anybody knows the name of the reporter now, but guess what some "sharp" dude went ahead and copyrighted the name. The SA soccer team eventually had to reach a settlement with this dude who probably has no clue what was going through the reporter's mind when he coined the name.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by homiben(m): 9:53am On Sep 15, 2011
Film wey don come out wit d said name, Abi pa achebe don finally act lik a 9jarian, *bribe collector*,  hmmm
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by JamesDoe: 9:58am On Sep 15, 2011
I think a film title could be trademarked. Also the film industry has a self regulating system that allows titles to be protected.

"Things Fall Apart" has been shown on  tv (NTA and ?) and also a very well known book - Top 15 in a New York Times list.

Naija no dey carry last, Chinua or his agents must be sharp people. The rap group Roots has used the title before - in honour of the book. So 50cents and or his agents should have done the right thing.

If 50 had used the title, what effect would that have on Chinua's work (past or planned eg movies/series?)
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by werepeLeri: 9:59am On Sep 15, 2011
At last the movie title gets changed to "All Things Fall Apart" - the old nigga man looses 160million Naira and 50 cents will rake in over $100 million from the film. Who wins at the end?

LOL
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by PhysicsQED(m): 10:12am On Sep 15, 2011
felifeli:

He didn't plagiarize anything.

If you had read the book, you would see that he attributes the phrase to Keats and quotes a few lines of the poem (not just the phrase "things fall apart"wink before the book even starts.

And the book would have been a classic even if he had given it a more mundane or less perfect title.

@ topic, I think it's impossible to copyright short phrases/titles like that in the arts. Maybe in commerce, industry, etc., but not art.

Nevertheless, they must have had some other basis for their argument.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Vacora(m): 10:21am On Sep 15, 2011
Correct me if i am wrong but The Roots had an album called Things Fall Apart released on 23rd February 1999 which is considered a hiphop classsic and won a Grammy i believe in 2000. And they admit borrowing the title from Chinua Achebe's work?
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by logica(m): 10:28am On Sep 15, 2011
Vacora:

Correct me if i am wrong but The Roots had an album called Things Fall Apart released on 23rd February 1999 which is considered a hiphop classsic and won a Grammy i believe in 2000. And they admit borrowing the title from Chinua Achebe's work?
That's one of the reasons why 50 Cent ignorance claim is ridiculous. I don't think Achebe needed or needs his money but the comprehension of that will elude those who only reason in financial terms. All he needed was an acknowledgement (that is if he was OK with being associated with the movie or 50 Cent).
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by chextoni: 10:33am On Sep 15, 2011
So that ''agbero'' rapper actually thinks he can act? Undecided

I avoid his movies like a plague. . . .

SOME FUNNY WRITE UPS!!
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by tosenbaba(m): 10:44am On Sep 15, 2011
If Americans too have been coming to 9ja too due to our Nollywood movie titles too, what will happen.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by werepeLeri: 10:50am On Sep 15, 2011
at the end of the day - the old Nigga man is happy with the addition of the word All -

End of story.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by nagoma(m): 11:01am On Sep 15, 2011
It would have been misleading. I would have ordered for the film "Things fall apart"- and i would have been most disappointed. I do sympathize with all cancer sufferers but I wouldn't waste my time watching that kind of film.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by mallorca(m): 11:17am On Sep 15, 2011
50 Cent shame on you
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by cold(m): 11:39am On Sep 15, 2011
Vacora:

Yes they sought for & got permission to use the title.
Things Fall Apart was also nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Rap Album of the same year, losing to Eminem for his The Slim Shady LP.[4] Rolling Stone called it a "top-flight record",[5] while Allmusic cited it as "one of the cornerstone albums of alternative rap."[6] The album takes its title from Chinua Achebe's novel of the same name[7], which in turn took the phrase from William Butler Yeats's poem "The Second Coming".[8] As of April 5, 1999, Things Fall Apart has been certified gold in sales by the Recording Industry Association of America
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Things_Fall_Apart_(album)

If that isn't convincing enough,you can also try this for size.A little education helps;

Things Fall Apart, whose title was borrowed from Chinua Achebe's novel, ended up being the crew's most successful album at the time, as its critical acclaim was, for the first time ever, matched by record sales of over five hundred thousand units.

http://hiphopisntdead..com/2010/06/roots-things-fall-apart-february-23.html
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Kx: 11:51am On Sep 15, 2011
Even if 50 changes d title of his movie, this is bad publicity for his work
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by tosenbaba(m): 11:51am On Sep 15, 2011
Released : 2011
Genre : Drama | Sport
Starcast : Ray Liotta, 50 Cent and Mario Van Peebles
Desc :
The film centers around a star football running back, played by 50 Cent, who faces a personal tragedy as well as his own mortality while in his senior year in college when is diagnosed with it

Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by atasteve: 1:33pm On Sep 15, 2011
Money is not everything. The old man cherishes his work.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by JamesDoe: 1:41pm On Sep 15, 2011
I wonder how many additional units of "Things Fall Apart" get sold because of this issue.

Chinua Achebe may not need the money, but I'm sure his publishers wouldn't mind.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by dapojaja(m): 1:52pm On Sep 15, 2011
This is really good for 50 cents. If you stab people at their back, especially where it counts, remember you ur back is facing someone else. My ears went dumb when I heard 50 cent sued a radio station for $200,000,000 for playing he's music on the radio. Bu11$hit
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by werepeLeri: 2:02pm On Sep 15, 2011
Kx:

Even if 50 changes d title of his movie, this is bad publicity for his work

LOL - u are joking - right?
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by werepeLeri: 2:03pm On Sep 15, 2011
dapojaja:

This is really good for 50 cents. If you stab people at their back, especially where it counts, remember you your back is facing someone else. My ears went dumb when I heard 50 cent sued a radio station for $200,000,000 for playing he's music on the radio. Bu11$hit

What?
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by rilow212: 4:57pm On Sep 15, 2011
[i][/i][color=#990000][/color]
I really cant wait to see the movie. 50cent did a great work n put so much effort, time, money to make All Things Fall Apart.
He even went as far as losing weight to a breaking point, am so so happy 4 him.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Movie Mistakes / Bella Evicted From The Big Brother House / Big Brother Africa Iv Unveils Without Shower Hour, Now People Will Sleep At Nigh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.