Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,465 members, 7,770,148 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:54 AM

Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' (15246 Views)

New Movie Titled Don Jazzy / 50 Cent Lost A Lot Of Weight For His Upcoming Movie "things Fall Apart"pix / What Song Was Played In The Movie Titled 'A Million Tears'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Rossikk(m): 11:54pm On Sep 14, 2011
Chinua Achebe forces 50 Cent to rename movie

Things fall apart for rapper as Nigerian writer makes him change forthcoming film title to avoid conflict with 1958 novel

50 Cent has been undone by one of Africa's greatest novelists, Chinua Achebe. The rapper's latest movie has been renamed ahead of its release, due to a conflict with Achebe's most famous work.

Things Fall Apart, published by Achebe in 1958, is Nigeria's most famous English-language novel. It has sold more than 8m copies worldwide. Unfortunately, 50 Cent was not aware of this. He spent much of 2010 shooting a film of the same name, the story of an American football player diagnosed with cancer. "It's a project that I wrote, produced and financed myself," he explained last year. Directed by Mario Van Peebles, it premiered at the Miami film festival in March and is expected to be released soon.

Unfortunately for Fiddy, his film will not keep its original title. After being contacted by Achebe's legal team, 50 Cent allegedly offered $1m to hold on to the title. Achebe, 80, took this as an insult. "The novel with the said title was initially produced in 1958 (that is 17 years before [50] was born)," replied his lawyers, according to Naijan. "[It is] listed as the most-read book in modern African literature, and won't be sold for even £1bn." The film has now been renamed to All Things Fall Apart.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/sep/14/chinua-achebe-50-cent
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by ektbear: 12:15am On Sep 15, 2011
hehe
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by freed(m): 1:04am On Sep 15, 2011
Chinua Achebe forces 50 Cent to rename movie

Things fall apart for rapper as Nigerian writer makes him change forthcoming film title to avoid conflict with 1958 novel

50 Cent has been undone by one of Africa's greatest novelists, Chinua Achebe. The rapper's latest movie has been renamed ahead of its release, due to a conflict with Achebe's most famous work.

Things Fall Apart, published by Achebe in 1958, is Nigeria's most famous English-language novel. It has sold more than 8m copies worldwide. Unfortunately, 50 Cent was not aware of this. He spent much of 2010 shooting a film of the same name, the story of an American football player diagnosed with cancer. "It's a project that I wrote, produced and financed myself," he explained last year. Directed by Mario Van Peebles, it premiered at the Miami film festival in March and is expected to be released soon.

Unfortunately for Fiddy, his film will not keep its original title. After being contacted by Achebe's legal team, 50 Cent allegedly offered $1m to hold on to the title. Achebe, 80, took this as an insult. "The novel with the said title was initially produced in 1958 (that is 17 years before [50] was born)," replied his lawyers, according to Naijan. "[It is] listed as the most-read book in modern African literature, and won't be sold for even £1bn." The film has now been renamed to All Things Fall Apart.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by SouthEast1: 1:38am On Sep 15, 2011
$ I M only? Achebe (distinguished prof at Ivy League, Brown Uni) is not that cheap.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by OgidiBoy(m): 2:04am On Sep 15, 2011
Someone need to slap 50 cent for insulting my town's man like that angry
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by onyengbu: 2:25am On Sep 15, 2011
OgidiBoy:

Someone need to slap 50 cent for insulting my town's man like that angry
that makes us . . .
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by cold(m): 2:38am On Sep 15, 2011
What was fiddy thinking?$1 million dollars? shocked angry .For me that's a whole lotta money but not for someone of Achebe's status
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by MMM2(m): 2:40am On Sep 15, 2011
i heard 50 cent is from isiala ngwa angryi heard 50 cent is from isiala ngwa angry
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by semid4lyfe(m): 2:43am On Sep 15, 2011
So that ''agbero'' rapper actually thinks he can act? undecided

I avoid his movies like a plague. . . .
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by dabrake(m): 3:06am On Sep 15, 2011
semid4lyfe:

bros, u wicked die
M M M:

i heard 50 cent is from isiala ngwa angryi heard 50 cent is from isiala ngwa angry
i knw ur high on kunu or zobo
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by PhysicsQED(m): 3:07am On Sep 15, 2011
I'm skeptical about whether there's really a legal basis for an objection, especially considering that the title of the book comes from a line of a poem by Yeats, but apparently there is a real basis seeing as how the legal team was able to stifle him like that. Regardless, it's good to see 50 cent getting screwed over. That guy's an [i]as[/i]s.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Oba234: 3:35am On Sep 15, 2011
I don't blame Achebe because when I first heard of the movie a year ago, I immediately thought of Chinua Achebe's book, but after reading more into it, I realized it has nothing to do with the book. The title of the movie will be misleading to many like me who may be thinking it's a movie based on Chinua Achebe's book.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by ektbear: 4:16am On Sep 15, 2011
I actually like 50. And liked his movie ("get rich or die trying", iirc)

Pretty funny guy imo
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by foreveryou(m): 4:19am On Sep 15, 2011
Insult upon Injury!!!!The fact that he doesnt even know about the book speaks volume. Many of my friends here in the US read the book in junior high school. Upon it all, he offered $1m for the book wey dem do write before them born him papa. Insult!!!!!! So he thinks everyone can be bought abi? He must have said to himself that 'this african dude is gonna make me change my title'. Papa Achebe, more grease, power and 'adiagbon' oil to your soft elbows!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by lagcity(m): 4:20am On Sep 15, 2011
they only added "All" and problem solved. All Things Fall Apart.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Jettage: 5:02am On Sep 15, 2011
Please let us all shut up, while I respect the intellectual prowess of our own Chinua Achebe, “PhysicsQED” of Nairaland made a very strong arguments on the Authority and ownership of the Line in question, Indeed except if Achebe live before William Buttler Yeats William Butler Yeats (1865-1939) then claiming ownership and depriving another user of the right by law can be Justified
Please Read the Poem by Yeats where “things fall apart” was first used

http://akinbami..com/2011/09/things-fall-apart-whose-word-yeats.html

William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)
THE SECOND COMING
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by oldtime(m): 5:11am On Sep 15, 2011
Thank you " Jettage" on that clarrification.

"Yeats was attracted to the spiritual and occult world and fashioned for himself an elaborate mythology to explain human experience. "The Second Coming," written after the catastrophe of World War I and with communism and fascism rising, is a compelling glimpse of an inhuman world about to be born. Yeats believed that history in part moved in two thousand-year cycles. The Christian era, which followed that of the ancient world, was about to give way to an ominous period represented by the rough, pitiless beast in the poem."

"1) Spiral, making the figure of a cone.

(2) Second Coming refers to the promised return of Christ on Doomsday, the end of the world; but in Revelation 13 Doomsday is also marked by the appearance of a monstrous beast.

(3) Spirit of the World.

(4) 2,000 years; the creature has been held back since the birth of Christ. Yeats imagines that the great heritage of Western European civilization is collapsing, and that the world will be swept by a tide of savagery from the "uncivilized" portions of the globe. As you read this novel, try to understand how Achebe's work is in part an answer to this poem."

"Things Fall Apart, published in 1958, is the seminal African novel in English. Although there were earlier examples, notably by Achebe's fellow Nigerian, Amos Tutuola, none has been so influential, not only on African literature, but on literature around the world. Its most striking feature is to create a complex and sympathetic portrait of a traditional village culture in Africa. Achebe is trying not only to inform the outside world about Ibo cultural traditions, but to remind his own people of their past and to assert that it had contained much of value. All too many Africans in his time were ready to accept the European judgment that Africa had no history or culture worth considering.

He also fiercely resents the stereotype of Africa as an undifferentiated "primitive" land, the "heart of darkness," as Conrad calls it. Throughout the novel he shows how African cultures vary among themselves and how they change over time. Look for instances of these variations as you read."
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Nobody: 5:16am On Sep 15, 2011
Jettage:

Please let us all shut up, while I respect the intellectual prowess of our own Chinua Achebe, “PhysicsQED” of Nairaland made a very strong arguments on the Authority and ownership of the Line in question, Indeed except if Achebe live before William Buttler Yeats William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)   then claiming ownership and depriving another user of the right by law can be Justified

THE SECOND COMING

Now this is the most stupid response i have ever seen here, Do you understand anything about copy rights law at all, he wrote a book and named it THINGS FALL APART which was copy write by law meaning no one is allowed to name anything written or virtual by law, we are not talking about a few lines in a poem by the topic of a book, plz always do your home work well before you post angry angry angry angry

Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Ezniteadin(m): 5:19am On Sep 15, 2011
@Jettage,  DO YOU MEAN TO SAY THAT OUR OWN Prof Albert Chinualumgu Achebe is also a thief?

Did he steal the Title of His work from William Butler Yeats ?

grin grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Nobody: 5:25am On Sep 15, 2011
Jettage:

Please let us all shut up, while I respect the intellectual prowess of our own Chinua Achebe, “PhysicsQED” of Nairaland made a very strong arguments on the Authority and ownership of the Line in question, Indeed except if Achebe live before William Buttler Yeats William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)   then claiming ownership and depriving another user of the right by law can be Justified

THE SECOND COMING

now this is so misleading we are not talking about who first use the phrase[b] THINGS FALL APART [/b] but who made it a copy write work which i guess we know the answer to so why bring this up
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by polokor60(m): 5:27am On Sep 15, 2011
Jettage:

THE SECOND COMING

the title of professor chinua achibe's novel is 'things fall apart' not the 'second coming'.dude the title is the identity of a written book not the phrase,sentence or words written on it's various paragraghs. wink
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by Jettage: 5:28am On Sep 15, 2011
@190fan

Pardoning unintelligibility,

Let us apply your copy rights law to the Line and all words of the Poem from the first writer. You goofed, need a Lawyer?
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by moshoodn(m): 6:03am On Sep 15, 2011
[/color]
And what happens when Achebe dies. . . .

Guess someone who never knew him can shoot a movie titled: NO LONGER AT EASE.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by moshoodn(m): 6:04am On Sep 15, 2011

Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by PhysicsQED(m): 6:27am On Sep 15, 2011
Jettage:

Please let us all shut up, while I respect the intellectual prowess of our own Chinua Achebe, “PhysicsQED” of Nairaland made a very strong arguments on the Authority and ownership of the Line in question, Indeed except if Achebe live before William Buttler Yeats William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)   then claiming ownership and depriving another user of the right by law can be Justified

THE SECOND COMING

The fact that Achebe used Yeats' line from that poem for the book title wasn't really the main basis of my skepticism.  I just don't think it's possible to copyright a short phrase or title unless you're a company using that phrase for advertising or something and you want to prevent other companies from ripping off your own phrase/slogan/brand name for commercial gain.

In art (literature, theatre, film, visual art, etc.) or written publications I don't think there is any such rule making any short phrase or title exclusive or copyrighted. I might be wrong, however. Maybe there's a lawyer here who knows something about intellectual property law and can clarify whether this is the case or not. I do know that copyrighted works of art cannot be copied (plagiarized) without serious lawsuits following, but I'm skeptical about whether this applies to titles when there is no similarity between the actual content of the different works.

For example, I could write a nonfiction book called "War and Peace" which is actually about wars and peace throughout history, not about semi-fictional Russians during Napoleonic times, and I'm pretty sure that the estate or descendants of Leo Tolstoy couldn't sue me and get away with it.

I've been thinking about the argument that Achebe's lawyers may have used and I suspect that what they did was argue that since "Things Fall Apart" is hugely associated with Achebe's famous novel, the movie could potentially profit by using a title that would draw in people interested in something related to Achebe's novel (such as a big screen, multimillion dollar adaptation of it), and that these people might give 50 cent's film more attention than it would get otherwise.

They could just say that the title could "draw in" people looking for something related to Achebe's work, or a documentary on him or his writing, or something Achebe related, and this would give the movie more attention than it would receive otherwise without any compensation to Professor Achebe and that the name must therefore be modified or dropped.

I don't really have any confidence that that was what really happened though. Just a conjecture.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by hustla(m): 6:40am On Sep 15, 2011
iss nuit porrible///they r not depicting the same or similar ish, and chinua achebe can like to chop sand abeg, e for like go try am with jay z or johnny depp na, so if i go rename am for spanish with the same title nko?? tongue tongue
moshoodn:

the thing tire me sef ooo

semid4lyfe:

go look for high tension wire, lie down ontop am, mumu
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by walcolm(m): 6:42am On Sep 15, 2011
Folks, dont forget that there's already a "things fall apart" movie based on the book. thats why another movie cannot use the same title
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by teemon: 6:46am On Sep 15, 2011
Imagine what an insult shocked what was 50 thinking that Papa Chinua will just let him have it for common $1m? lipsrsealed *looking for 50cent with AK-47 in hand* nonsense!
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by logica(m): 6:54am On Sep 15, 2011
Really? He didn't know; or he was hoping Achebe wouldn't find out or tell him to change the name? He knew abeg.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by itiswell1(m): 7:12am On Sep 15, 2011
Please let the old man be.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by cryingbaby: 8:15am On Sep 15, 2011
But d novel is 43yr old abeg even if it ur rival u will forgive him after 43yr & even the medatory of nairaland copy some free resource to build the website.
Re: Chinua Achebe Forces 50 Cent To Change Movie Titled 'Things Fall Apart' by KayDee4: 8:27am On Sep 15, 2011
50 Cent no get respect o !!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

African Movie Academy Awards 2017 (Live Thread) / The Figurine 'araromire' (a Film By Kunle Afolayan) / Big Brother Africa Iv Unveils Without Shower Hour, Now People Will Sleep At Nigh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.