Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,181 members, 7,815,137 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Match Of The Week: BBC Removed England Football Star Presenter, Gary Lineker - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Match Of The Week: BBC Removed England Football Star Presenter, Gary Lineker (174 Views)

Gary Lineker Said C Ronaldo Refused To Talk To Him Cos He Says Messi Is The GOAT / Gary Lineker Recalls The Moment He Pooed On Himself On The Pitch / Gary Lineker: Player Who Never Received A Yellow Or A Red Card In His Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Match Of The Week: BBC Removed England Football Star Presenter, Gary Lineker by Olori(m): 9:24pm On Mar 10, 2023
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64920557

Gary Lineker has been told to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use, the BBC has said.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
The BBC said it considered Lineker's "recent social media activity to be a breach of our guidelines".
It added he should "keep well away from taking sides on party political issues or political controversies".

The BBC asked Lineker to step back after "extensive discussions with Gary and his team in recent days".

It "decided that he will step back from presenting Match of the Day until we've got an agreed and clear position on his use of social media", the statement said.

It continued: "When it comes to leading our football and sports coverage, Gary is second to none.

"We have never said that Gary should be an opinion free zone, or that he can't have a view on issues that matter to him, but we have said that he should keep well away from taking sides on party political issues or political controversies."

Fellow pundit Ian Wright said he will not appear in "solidarity", tweeting: "Everybody knows what Match of the Day means to me, but I've told the BBC I won't be doing it tomorrow. Solidarity."

Alan Shearer, who also presents on the show, said he had "informed the BBC that I won't be appearing on MOTD tomorrow night".

Lineker has not yet publicly commented but while presenting 5News earlier, former BBC presenter Dan Walker read out a text live on air from the 62-year-old.

(1) (Reply)

Countries Of Teams That Are Still Competing In All European Competitions / Chelsea And Everton Share Points After Simms' Superb Shot / Algeria Vs Niger Prediction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.