Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,275 members, 7,818,934 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Reminiscing About The Best Car I Owned (so Far) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reminiscing About The Best Car I Owned (so Far) (862 Views)

I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car / A Few Weeks After I Bought My First Car, I Went Home Forgetting That I Had A Car / Is This The Best Car For Nigerian Roads? - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reminiscing About The Best Car I Owned (so Far) by laivwire(m): 4:26pm On Mar 13, 2023
Its not about the performance or fuel economy, its the emotional attachment I built with the car while I owned it. I've owned much better cars but my time with this one remains golden. The Ups and downs just sum up a beautiful experience. It was a 1996 BMW 318i and it was the first car I ever owned.

Back in Uni Ibadan, I had some bad influence family friends with who I used to roll grin. Two brothers and they used to bring different rides to school back then. 1st gen Range Rovers, accords and BMWs. They had these cars at home and their dad just left the cars in the compound. He was too old to drive so you can take any car if you want, you just have to gas it and use it as is.

The Range Rovers were gas guzzlers so that was taken on only special occasions grin, the e36 was a bit okay but had its gremlins. It didn't reverse so whenever we took it out, we always had to park on a slope. Other than that, the sound system was badt and the thrill of a rear wheel drive was exhilarating. We used to balst tracks, speed around corners and pick up the girls coming from class (and branch at our hall of residence wink and use it as a hangout spot in dark areas close to the girls' hostels on fridays. iYKYK. I got this special love for BMWs ever since and I always knew my cars will be BMW models right from the 80s models and ending with the Chris bangle era.

Fresh out of school and duly hired, I made up my mind to get a car and as I passed this used BMW 318i by the side of the road, I got down from the taxi and walked back to the stand. It belonged to an army officer who bought another car already. Inline 4 silver coat with tinted windows. Just my type. I snapped it up. AC didn't work though. No bad. The thing about these small engine cars is they pick up revs fast unlike the i6 engines but they don't do so well for top speed. They were also good on fuel.

Every day was a blast, I couldn't wait to drive to work or to close and go home every weekday. Weekends, I threw all my dirty clothes in the trunk and hit the road from Ibadan to Ijebu for the weekend. (God bless momma grin) There were times I'll be chatting with my girlfriend then and I'll just say 'oh, I want to see you now'; by 11pm grin I'd jump into the car and drive from Ire akari estate to Sagbe past Ojoo and return same night for work tomorrow. Car didn't disappoint. Always blasting my gbedu non-stop. I was the sole driver and washer of that car for the time I owned it. Of course it's not all sunny days, there were some bad times too. possibly share in another thread.

As all good things come to an end, my mum gave the car away when I travelled. All in all, it feels good to feel nostalgic once in a while. I miss the good times but not the car though. I'm sure it'll be freaking old by now if not in parts already.

My thoughts link up to the old 180Ks, Toyota crowns, 505s and W114s our old men used to put on stones when they can't drive again. Will you keep your true car love forever?

5 Likes

Re: Reminiscing About The Best Car I Owned (so Far) by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 2:13pm On Aug 30, 2023
Lovely experience

(1) (Reply)

Choose Between Lexus ES300 2004 And Camry Muscle 2009 / Please Help Me Nairaland Car Owners!! - / Toyota Corola Engine Light refuse to off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.