Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,054 members, 7,863,742 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 03:11 AM

Exclusive: Prof. Aigbovo Speaks On Election Rigging; To Shun Election Collation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Exclusive: Prof. Aigbovo Speaks On Election Rigging; To Shun Election Collation (227 Views)

11 State Varsities Shun ASUU, FG Threatens Unions / School Resumption: Oyo, Rivers, Sokoto, Four Others Shun Fg’s Directive / Exclusive: Prof Ogundipe Is New UNILAG VC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Exclusive: Prof. Aigbovo Speaks On Election Rigging; To Shun Election Collation by Thepointer: 6:24pm On Mar 15, 2023
Exclusive: Prof. Aigbovo speaks on election rigging; Profs to shun election results collation.

A former Dean of Students, University of Benin, Prof. Osaretin Aigbovo from the Faculty of Law, tells the Journalists about his background, achievements and his opinion on rigging allegations against Professors in Nigeria.

HOW WAS GROWING UP LIKE FOR YOU?
I enjoyed my childhood , It was normal and quite interesting. Things were not so easy, but thank God we scaled through life’s struggle .

CAN YOU TELL US ABOUT YOUR BACKGROUND?
I am from Benin and I am happily married with Children. I had good parents , my Father was a teacher and my mother was a full housewife and she is still alive till now. They took good care of us. I also went through my academic phases at the appropriate time.

I attended Uwa primary school, and former St. Kizito grammar school which is now a campus of Edo University in Eguaholor, was where I completed my secondary education . There after, I proceeded to Obtain my N.C.E from the College of Education in Warri, Delta State and went for youth service , before I came to study Law in the University of Benin.
After I graduated in 1990, I went to the Law school in Lagos, this was in 1991 and after that, I returned to continue my Masters in UNIBEN and I was officially employed as a Lecturer in 1995.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE LECTURING AS A PROFESSION?
Well as I have said earlier my father was a teacher, so I guess it is in the DNA. I loved teaching, while I was in practice and I was with a principal back then after my researching about court cases I had extra time. That was when I decided to begin my masters degree.
Fortunately for me , before I finished my masters, The acting Dean Prof. Guobadia recruited me into the Faculty as an assistant lecturer .

WHAT ARE HE CHALLENGES YOU ENCOUNTERED IN ATTAINING YOUR PROFESSORSHIP?
It was challenging but at the same time enjoyable while it lasted. It is not easy to be a professor, you have to do the grind it is Publish or perish! The system we met did not require a PhD to attain the level. However things took a turn before we were promoted as senior lecturers. Although it was challenging, we got our publications and became Professors.

WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND ASUU AS A RESULT OF ELECTION RIGGING ALLEGATION?
I have no opinion as a professor I have never participated in elections. I only know academics go there as returning officers and collation officers. I heard that they were being treated shabbily by INEC officials.
I applaud the Professors Who refused to read out different results from what they had. It is something I can do but I don’t want to get involved.

WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR YOUR COLLEAGUES?
My opinion is that as long as malpractices exists in the electoral process they not be involved. If it is just for announcing results which were not monitored or validated by the Professors, I do not think we should be involved. They do not treat Professors well, and it is making Professors lose respect in the eyes of the politicians and society.

What were your achievements as Dean of Students UNIBEN?
It was a tough experience, as a student I did not have connections and I understood how it was for students like myself back then, so during my tenure, I made sure people who were not connected were equally attended to. In a bid to do so, we Introduced fastest fingers which enabled both privileged and underprivileged students to accommodation fairly from the comfort of their abodes. This curbed selling of hostel space in the hostel. Also during the National Sports Festival, we were able to get the Edo state government to renovate our school hostels during the National Sports Festival that held in Edo .
Please tell us your current position?
I am a Professor and I am the PG Cordinator, I am also the chairman of a Panel in this great University.

ANY FUTURE PLAN OF BECOMING A VC?
Any Professor should have that aspiration but it is not a do or die affair. Anyone who makes that his major purpose in life, may die of heartache.
The race is not for the swift. It is not a fixation. However, Qualifications varies as some Professors, posses the requirements more than others. Although many contest, in the end, only one Vice Chancellor will be appointed .

(1) (Reply)

10 Good Causes Of Carryover In University / 20 Top Tips To Pass The 2023 UTME And Come Out In Flying Colors. / Scholarship For Africans 2023: A Support To Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.