Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,323 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games (5413 Views)

8 Nigerian Athletes Fail Doping Test As They Tested Positive / Nigeria Finishes Second Position At All African Games / Nigeria Vs Ghana : All African Games - (2 - 0) On 9th September 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games by OAM4J: 4:15am On Sep 17, 2011
[size=13pt]We came, saw, conquered[/size]

After enduring a slow start at the 10th All Africa Games, Maputo 2011, it was indeed a medal rush for Team Nigeria in this last week of the event, as the country’s representatives put up a better performance that shot the country to the second spot of the Games’ medal table. And as the competition comes to an end tomorrow, many of the athletes are proud of their achievements and could not hide their feelings when they spoke to the duo of AKEEM LAWAL and STELLA BAMAWO in Mozambique.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/football-golf-boxing/19760-we-came-saw-conquered.html

Adewale Adewunmi Deborah, 3 gold medallist

Well, the challenges start from the training, if you want to do well, you must train very hard. I’ve been preparing for this competition for the past two years and here it has come and I thank God and give Him all the glory that I made it.

Mary Awase, silver 2 bronze medallist

I’m a sprinter and won bronze in the 100 and 200m Para athletics. I thank God because this is my first competition and I thank Him that I made it and I believe I’m still going to do more than that.

Doreen Amata, gold medallist

I won gold medal in High Jump. It feels good to win again, to defend my title. I was looking forward to doing better which I’ve done this year. This year I’ve done a 1.95 and was 8th in the World Championship final, so next step is to do better. I’m going for the Diamond League in few days time. The Diamond is on the 16th of this month and hopefully I can perform well.
My personal best is 1.95 which is a National record. I’ve equaled it twice this year. This games is 1.80m and I think it’s ok. The most important thing is that I won the gold medal.
Re: Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games by OAM4J: 4:16am On Sep 17, 2011
Uhunoma Osazuwa, silver medallist

I had a silver medal in high jump. I’m happy and it’s great to win a silver medal for my Nigeria and I’m very happy to have represented my country. I’m also happy to have a medal behind my fellow Nigerian. Though I may have loved to win gold also, but she is more experienced and more talented than I am. All the same it’s great to have ended up winning a silver medal at my first appearance of the All Africa Games.

Obinna Metu, gold and bronze madallist

I’m so happy because this year I’ve not really done lots of competition to know my ability in the 100m and 200m, but here, it’s a very good start for me. This is the first major championship I’m running this year, I didn’t compete after our national trials because of certain obstruction.
At least I got two medals and this will motivate me against next year to prepare very well for the Olympic Games, so I’m very happy.
My major goal is to prepare for the Olympics now that I’m done with school. Several years I’ve been suffering, combining education with track, but I’ve graduated and I’m so happy that I’m free from studies so I can concentrate on my track.

Adeola Iwajomo, bronze medalllist

I won bronze for 500m k2 Double. I’m very happy but we do not have the kind of boats used here in our country. Here, we used new ones and to balance it was not easy but later we got used to it, though not comfortable and that was why I came third. Had it been we’ve been using that type of boat before, we would have done much better.

Lilian Jepheth, silver and bronze medallist

I won silver in Slalon and bronze in 200m. I’m very very happy for winning the medals. We were faced with many problems and the first one is the boat we used here which is different from the ones we used back in Nigeria. It was not easy but we had to manage it. I’ll advice the authority to get us the NELO boat so that we can do better later in the future. The athletes we compete with have been training with the boat for so many years, but I just came into the sport in May this year. So I’m very to have won these medals.
Re: Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games by OAM4J: 4:18am On Sep 17, 2011
Jessica Ohanaja, silver medallist

I feel good winning the silver because this is my fourth race and my coach told me to come out here and do the country proud. I did not feel any pressure because I knew it will be between me and my team mate. As long as we won the gold and the silver, we are fine."

Seun Adigun, gold medallist

I won gold in the Women’s 100m hurdles. I feel great and I also want to give God the glory. This is because my spiritual faith is very strong and everything is possible when you have God by your side. Every step and every breath I take, I always thank God, He has been my strength."

Samuel Okon, bronze medallist

I won bronze in the 110m hurdles. I feel good winning the medal. I don’t have any challenge. In games it’s either you win or you lose, such is life. My preparation was okay and I’m satisfied with the bronze medal, compared to others who don’t have anything.

Ogho Oghene Egwero, gold medallist

I won gold in the Men’s 4x100 relay race. It was painful that we couldn’t do well in the 100m but we said to ourselves that we are going to make up for the disappointment. We thank God that we were able to do just that.

Peter Emeloze, gold medallist

I’m part of the Men’s 4x100m relay winning team and it’s a good feeling that we won. As you can see in the 100m, I didn’t do pretty well, but I said I’m going to make it up here in the 4x100m and that is nice. Winning a gold medal in All African Games is a great achievement and we also ran a decent time. So I’m very grateful.
My next target is the Olympics. I’ll go back now and train pretty well and pull myself together probably when the Olympics comes I’ll de very well.

Tobi Ogunmola, silver medallist

I made a promise that I’m going to make my country proud and I did the job by winning silver in the 400m men race. I give glory to the almighty God. My next target is to prepare for the Olympics next year and we believe we are going there for victory and God will help us. The team we have is year is a wonderful team and this is just the beginning. 2012 is going to be a great one for the country. I’ll just advice the sports commission is to continue to support us and put more interest in track and field because we give more medals as you can see.
Re: Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games by Nobody: 4:20am On Sep 17, 2011
Adewale Adewunmi Deborah, [size=28pt]3[/size] gold medallist

shocked

You tried. I'm proud of you sha.
Re: Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games by OAM4J: 4:21am On Sep 17, 2011
Nurudeen Akanji, bronze medallist

I won bronze medal in boxing in 75kg category. I’m happy that at least I could go home with something despite the fact that I was robbed of victory in the semi final. I believe I deserve victory because I beat my opponent, whom was awarded the winner mercilessly to the extent that he could not fight in the final, but such is life. I accept my bronze medal in good faith and I believe I still have lots to offer in this sport.

Ademuyiwa Kehinde, silver medallist

I am boxing silver medalist in the 69kg. I have to give glory to God because if I was told that I will be where I am today, winning a silver medal at the All Africa Games, I will doubt it. But with faith in God and hard work, I was able to win silver.

Lukman Lawal, silver medallist

I fought in the 81kg category and I’m very happy to have won silver in my first appearance at the All Africa Games. This is a great motivation for me that I can achieve greatness in this sport.

Akpose Ifetubo, silver medallist

A Nigerian boxer and I won silver in the 91kg category at the Games. It give me pleasure that I was able to achieve this and I want to thank my coaches for the confidence they have in me. This medal is just the beginning for me.
Re: Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games by Exponental(m): 8:02am On Sep 17, 2011
Poster, tanks 4 d post
could u bring up d medal table.
Re: Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games by Egbagirl(f): 10:19am On Sep 17, 2011
This is really impressive. It's been such a long time since Nigeria has performed like this. I guess they prepping hard for the Olympics next year and hopefully they perform better than this.
Re: Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games by tunyus(m): 11:20am On Sep 17, 2011
pls can somebody post the MEDAL TABLE,
which country came first at the tournament?
Re: Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games by airmark(m): 11:28am On Sep 17, 2011
So my girl, Damola Osayomi, the african fastest lady was not interviewed !.
Re: Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games by Basics007: 3:13am On Sep 18, 2011
If Nigeria actually comes 2nd on the medals table i hope the Sports Ministry wont start patting themselves on the back. It is just a result of perseverence on the athletes' part. Nigeria potential is far far bigger than this is our authorities wake up to their duties
Re: Success Stories of Nigerian Athletes At The All African Games by DisGuy: 11:08pm On Sep 18, 2011
tunyus:

pls can somebody post the MEDAL TABLE,
which country came first at the tournament?

http://196.28.226.22/ENG/ZZ/ZZS100A_@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ENG.htm

South Africa - 156 medals, 61 Gold

Nigeria 98 medals, 31 gold

(1) (Reply)

Merrybet Bet Slip / Super Falcons To Play 10 Games Before World Cup. / Unpopular Arsenal Relegation Of 1913

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.