Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,580 members, 7,812,898 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

How Oxford University Exposed Blogger David Hundeyin As An Academic Fraud - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Oxford University Exposed Blogger David Hundeyin As An Academic Fraud (500 Views)

Rufai Oseni Vs Benjamin Hundeyin / Rufai Oseni Confronted By SP Benjamin Hundeyin / Hiny Umoren's Murder: CCCRN Demands Apology From David Hundeyin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Oxford University Exposed Blogger David Hundeyin As An Academic Fraud by OfofoNigeria: 9:15am On Mar 20, 2023
The Oxford University newspaper, Cherwell, exposed Nigerian blogger David Hundeyin as an academic fraud with no institutional affiliation to the University of Cambridge. The Oxford University newspaper, Cherwell, has exposed Nigerian blogger David Hundeyin as an academic fraud with no institutional affiliation to the University of Cambridge. The blogger had recently boasted of his Cambridge affiliations to his Twitter followers in order to give the impression that he genuinely contributes to the body of knowledge and scholarship that the institution represents. This information is available in Hundeyin’s Twitter bio, which describes him as a “2023 Distinguished James Currey Fellow, Centre for African Studies, University of Cambridge.” QUEST TIMES discovered that the James Currey Society, which awarded him the title “James Currey Fellow,” is not funded or endowed by the University of Cambridge or its Centre for African Studies. QUEST TIMES visited the James Currey Society’s website to confirm its affiliations with the University of Cambridge, but nothing on the website suggested this. It was noted that the addition of James Currey, a former academic publisher specializing in African Studies, was made solely to strengthen the Fellowship’s credibility. The Society was said to be founded to honor the work and legacy of British writer, publisher, and editor James Currey. Aside from that, there is no evidence that the Society or its Fellowship has been endowed by the University of Cambridge. Furthermore, the bio in James Currey Fellowship’s Twitter handle (@curreysociety) made no claim of affiliation with Cambridge University, as Hundeyin stated on his. The JCF’s bio stated that it was “the brainchild of the Oxford-based James Currey Society, in collaboration with the African Studies Centre at the University of Oxford.” The handle also mentioned Hundeyin’s interview with the Fellowship about his new book on February 22, 2023. Cherwell‘s investigations have since revealed the James Currey Society as a UK non-profit organization founded by Hundeyin’s associate, Onyeka Nwelue, whose status as an Academic Visitor was terminated by both Oxford and Cambridge for his unauthorized commercial use of their emblems. In an attempt to defend his Cambridge affiliation after Cherwell’s expose, Hundeyin tweeted “My Director at the Cambridge University Centre of African Studies who is aware of El-Rufai’s problem with me and the ensuing shenanigans has stated that there is something ‘deeply suspect’ going on at Oxford, and I am constrained to agree. This is a public lynching.” He made no mention or dropped a clue of the name of the “Director at the Cambridge University Centre of African Studies”. In addition, Hundeyin tweeted, in what appears to be a desperate attempt to undermine the credibility of Cherwell‘s investigations or the Oxford University altogether, saying “During my undergraduate years at the @UniOfHull between 2008 and 2011, I looked up to Oxford as the pinnacle of academia and human refinement. I did not expect Oxford to be just another influence-peddling, image-laundering sweatshop with great PR. I am bitterly disappointed” on March 3, 2023 at his 617,000 followers. The event that led to Nwelue’s dismissal from Oxford University was a book launch he hosted for the blogger Hundeyin in collaboration with the James Currey Society. The investigation revealed that Nwelue claimed to be a professor at Oxford and Cambridge universities but could not provide evidence of an academic PhD. Following an investigation into his behavior, the University of Cambridge confirmed that Nwelue’s affiliation with the institution had also been severed. Speaking with Cherwell, Nwelue denied ever posing as a Professor at the two institutions. Nwelue told Cherwell: “I have never ever posed as a professor at Oxford and Cambridge. My card says I am an Academic Visitor and that is exactly what I tell people. The accusation that I say I am a professor at Oxford is baseless.” “I have the equivalent of master as a filmmaker. I also have an Honorary Doctorate. I have been Visiting / Research Fellow at other universities. Prior to Oxford, I made award-winning films and published a lot of books. [sic]” Cherwell’s investigation calls into question the claims made by populist figures on social media about their affiliations in order to boost their accomplishments and credentials in public.

(1) (Reply)

JUST-IN: Wife, Son Of OSBC Staff Kidnapped In Osogbo / Sergei Aleshkov: The Youngest Soldier In World War II / How Nigerian Police Killed Mohbad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.