Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria (1139 Views)

This Picture Will Convince You How Some People Have Completely Given Up On ASUU / My Experience Teaching In Zaria / Instagram Slay Queen Spotted Teaching In A Secondary School In Delta (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by BigCabal: 9:36am On Mar 23, 2023
This week’s #ZikokoWhatSheSaid subject is a 31-year-old Nigerian woman who has seen shege as a teacher trying to make a change. She talks about deciding to pursue the profession NYSC forced on her, being bullied by students in a private school and considering teaching in South Korea instead.

How long have you been a teacher?
Four years and a few months now. Although I studied history and international relations in uni, I thought I’d change the world by teaching the leaders of tomorrow.

What inspired this interest?
NYSC. In 2017, I was posted to a private school in Ogbomoso. To my surprise, it was just as run down as I would’ve expected a government school to be. The whole school had five teachers, and the 100+ children were learning nothing. The management was unserious, the classroom facilities were poor, there were barely any teaching aids or books, and there were no computers. The parents of the students were just getting by. They didn’t know how to hold the management accountable.

The state of the school made me so scared about the quality of people we were pushing out into society as the next generation. I was sad, angry, and I wanted to do something about it.

What did you do?
I decided I’d teach and gain enough skills, experience, and eventually, the funds to either start my own school or an education-focused NGO. At first, I thought I’d enter the civil service so I could help at a more universal level. But I discovered early the amount of politics it took to even get into the system. I also needed to earn enough to actually make a living.

Do private schools pay better?
Well, they’re easier to gain employment with. I got my first job easily because the school management was even surprised I’d want to work for them given my credentials — I graduated with a first class from a top private university. Even my friends and family were shocked; everyone thought I was making a big mistake. But I honestly couldn’t sleep well at night knowing most children were getting poor education even though they were attending school. I just felt so worked up about it; it’s not something I can readily explain.

What was your experience at this first job?
I was given a wake-up call very quickly.

It was a private secondary school in Yaba, and I was a teacher’s assistant — I didn’t have a teaching license or certifications. I also needed to have taught the curriculum for a year before I could be a full teacher. My NYSC experience didn’t count even though I performed the responsibilities of a full teacher during that time.

From the beginning, I was constantly shut down when suggesting ideas to management. I wanted to push for a more empathetic approach to dealing with the students. But in hindsight, I can see how having a newbie act like she knows it all in just over a year of being a teacher could be annoying.

How did they react?
One day, the school administrator sat me down and said, “Look, we like how you’re trying to make everything nice and good-looking, but we didn’t hire you for rebranding work. There’s no room for that here. The parents are barely able to pay school fees, you’re talking of giving their children special treatment.” I was mum.

This was seven months in. I left the next month, but I grew up a little. I wasn’t going to make a change overnight. I’ll probably never even make a change.

Don’t say that. What kept you going then?
Everyone involved was so resistant to change. And the truth is I didn’t know what I was doing. What did I really have to offer? Just good intentions?

But stubbornness was what kept me going. I needed to prove myself and everyone wrong. Also, I truly cared about these students. I wanted them to get the type of education I got in this same Naija. It’s unfair that a greater majority of Nigerians don’t have access to a basic standard of education because of their parents’ financial circumstances.

If you’d like to be my next subject on #WhatSheSaid, click here to tell me why

True. So what happened next?
After staying home for about three months, I got a job at a better quality school. But believe me when I say the parents were paying a lot of money — not as much as popular elite schools, but it was a lot — for just fine wall painting and uniform. Their children were learning nothing. The teachers were nonchalant, using handwritten teaching guides that were at least a decade old.

If most parents knew how ill-prepared their children were to compete in the future world of works, they’d be shocked.

Were you at least able to make a difference there?
Yes and no. I stayed for about two and a half years, and I was able to get through to members of management to some extent. I was moved into administration and operations six months in, only taking special classes in speaking and diction once or twice a week. As deputy administrator, I was able to enforce annual review of the teachers’ notes to make sure they stay relevant. The teachers resented me for this.

To be honest, I didn’t feel like I was making real lasting change because I was sure they’d ignore all my policies as soon as I leave the school, and they filled the role with someone more laid back. However, the changes I may or may not have made weren’t the most memorable thing about my stay in the school.

What was?
The bullying. I’m sure you think I’m referring to student on student, but no. I mean, students bullying teachers. It was rampant.

Read full story here: https://www.zikoko.com/her/what-she-said-ive-given-up-on-teaching-in-nigeria/
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:47am On Mar 23, 2023
Lady as a teacher can be overlooked provided she has a financially capable man but a man as a teacher is a no no no and no.
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by LordIsaac(m): 10:09am On Mar 23, 2023
I gave up on it too. Since then, my life has never remained the same (for good). grin

1 Like

Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by BlackMan6969(m): 2:39pm On Mar 23, 2023
Some of us are born to be teacher. Thats why it pain us when our youngsters are not getting quality education. Personally, i'm a mathematician & i can make d dullest student to become a mathematician & solving both waec & jamb question on his/her own. I love teaching to the core, but the salary structure of literally all schools in Nigeria, can not pay the bills. & getting one with government school is strictly political/connection, thats y our schools reeks of incompetence. I really wish nigeria will work on its education sector.

2 Likes

Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by Woodaz: 11:25pm On Mar 23, 2023
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by FlamingoCityTv: 11:36am On Mar 24, 2023
LordIsaac:
I gave up on it too. Since then, my life has never remained the same (for good). grin
hi I saw your pm
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by LilleG(m): 11:39am On Mar 24, 2023
Teaching is suffering in this part of the world
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by LordIsaac(m): 1:41pm On Mar 24, 2023
FlamingoCityTv:
hi I saw your pm
Oh thanks. Are you walspring?
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by Karlifate: 5:25pm On Mar 24, 2023
Teachers are underrated, underpaid & undervalued in this part of the world. 🌍
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by Walspring: 2:16pm On Apr 13, 2023
LordIsaac:

Oh thanks. Are you walspring?

This is walspring. Any better dey ?
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by LordIsaac(m): 2:34pm On Apr 13, 2023
Walspring:

Ok...we have tidied the better already.
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by ogeoflyf(f): 5:10pm On Apr 18, 2023
Walspring:

please check your mail
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by Walspring: 10:51pm On Apr 19, 2023
ogeoflyf:
please check your mail

I didn’t see any mail from you yet. Check yours please.
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by Ogundare26: 12:38pm On Jun 08, 2023
Good day, I would like to contact you about my interview coming up next week. Thanks
Walspring:

I didn’t see any mail from you yet. Check yours please.
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by Chipinkberry: 2:11am On Aug 23, 2023
Ogundare26:
Good day, I would like to contact you about my interview coming up next week. Thanks

Hello Walspring pls how can I contact you 🙏🏾
Re: I’ve Given Up On Teaching In Nigeria by MrsTwrite(f): 5:20am On Aug 23, 2023
Most teachers are really suffering.

(1) (Reply)

Cheap University Study Abroad / Any Prospective Rivpoly Student Shld Pls Post Their Threads Here. Thanks And Wel / ASUU Question,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.