Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. (273 Views)

Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? / Religion Has Finished My Mother.. / Daddy Freeze: Religion Has Killed More People In The Last 500 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by Trollronaldo: 9:35pm On Mar 24, 2023
Religion gives people something to believe in, provides a sense of structure and typically offers a group of people to connect with over similar beliefs. These facets can have a large positive impact on mental health — research suggests that religiosity reduces suicide rates, alcoholism and drug use.
Religion, if practiced moderately can help in stabilizing a society. Irrespective of whether it's true or not, religion has some benefits that outweighs the risks if practiced moderately.

Religion becomes an issue when it's practiced fanatically like MaxInDHouse, Elated, righteousness07 and dtruthspeaker. Just like most things, people can abuse religion, so it's important that we check religion in our society and to ensure that it's not abused. Remember, religion is an opium, it works at recommended dosage, it will create complication if this drug is abused.

Although I am irreligious but I know these benefits exist, I still think that most religions are lies but these lies helps in keeping a lot of things in check.
Re: Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by Kobojunkie: 9:48pm On Mar 24, 2023
Trollronaldo:
■ Religion gives people something to believe in, provides a sense of structure and typically offers a group of people to connect with over similar beliefs. These facets can have a large positive impact on mental health — research suggests that religiosity reduces suicide rates, alcoholism and drug use.
1. Religion also tends to hide mental illness, if not create it in some of its adherents. undecided
Re: Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by Dtruthspeaker: 10:09pm On Mar 24, 2023
Trollronaldo:
Religion gives people something to believe in...

Same as denial.

Denial gives people something to believe while they run away from the Truth.

Denial just makes it easier for people to drive around while hoping that there problems will fade away as they have sometimes seen happen while forgetting that there are many many times when after all their driving and running away, the problem rather got worse and worse until they find themselves in BIG TROUBLE!

Then they start running helter skelter looking for who can help them.

So this is you just enjoying your temporary bliss of denial forgetting that the bubble of denial always bursts when you are over the lake if Fire!
Re: Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by Natbrowny: 10:58pm On Mar 24, 2023
Religion has helped put things in check na Scam.

People do those things in private and at worse rate. And it will mess u up if not careful, it can turn you to a fanatic or worse an extremist
Re: Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by LordReed(m): 9:08am On Mar 25, 2023
Trollronaldo:
Religion gives people something to believe in, provides a sense of structure and typically offers a group of people to connect with over similar beliefs. These facets can have a large positive impact on mental health — research suggests that religiosity reduces suicide rates, alcoholism and drug use.
Religion, if practiced moderately can help in stabilizing a society. Irrespective of whether it's true or not, religion has some benefits that outweighs the risks if practiced moderately.

Religion becomes an issue when it's practiced fanatically like MaxInDHouse, Elated, righteousness07 and dtruthspeaker. Just like most things, people can abuse religion, so it's important that we check religion in our society and to ensure that it's not abused. Remember, religion is an opium, it works at recommended dosage, it will create complication if this drug is abused.

Although I am irreligious but I know these benefits exist, I still think that most religions are lies but these lies helps in keeping a lot of things in check.

While I agree that religion can have benefits, I think it's individualised and should be approached as such. If you do not see the positive outcomes or begin to exhibit the negative outcomes then there should be no hindrance to letting go of the religion.

2 Likes

Re: Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by guysbewise: 9:45am On Mar 25, 2023
The only problem is that the recommended dosage is to become fanatical like the guys you have mentioned.

Only God can make someone to know the recommended dosage so that they do not become fanatical.
Re: Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by Trollronaldo: 9:57am On Mar 25, 2023
Natbrowny:
Religion has helped put things in check na Scam.

People do those things in private and at worse rate. And it will mess u up if not careful, it can turn you to a fanatic or worse an extremist
we are saying the same thing unless the part where you said religion don't put people in check. It does
Re: Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by LordReed(m): 10:23am On Mar 25, 2023
Trollronaldo:
we are saying the same thing unless the part where you said religion don't put people in check. It does

When it is used as a tool for social cohesion.
Re: Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by Trollronaldo: 10:55am On Mar 25, 2023
LordReed:

When it is used as a tool for social cohesion.
not always. Religion can imbibe some behavior that helps decorum in a society. Religion can influence the culture of a society positively in some instances.

Also note that overdosed irreligion has side effects.
Re: Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by LordReed(m): 11:02am On Mar 25, 2023
Trollronaldo:
not always. Religion can imbibe some behavior that helps decorum in a society. Religion can influence the culture of a society positively in some instances.

Also note that overdosed irreligion has side effects.

We are saying the same thing.
Re: Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by MrPresident1: 12:03pm On Mar 25, 2023
Trollronaldo:

This is the true religion. Embrace it

James 1:27 KJV
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
Re: Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On Mar 25, 2023
guysbewise:
The only problem is that the recommended dosage is to become fanatical like the guys you have mentioned.

Only God can make someone to know the recommended dosage so that they do not become fanatical.
Which God give you religion? undecided

(1) (Reply)

What Is Heaven? / Jesus Has Never Called God Jehovah, That Is Not The Name Of God - Apostle John / The Satanic Divine Nine Hire Criminals Report From Africa The Homophobic Lie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.