Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,781 members, 7,855,313 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 06:18 PM

Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons (5285 Views)

Please I Need Someone To Do Cartoons From Pictures For Me / Please Who Knows How To Draw 2d Or 3d Cartoons Please Contact Me / Please What Software Is Used To Make This Wonderful Cartoons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by AdamuW: 9:28am On Sep 20, 2011
[flash=560,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ApuN2MBvf8?version=3&hl=en_GB[/flash]
Ok this isn't an arguement for banning foreign kids educational shows and cartoons. I love them. But come on, in this day and age, Nigeria and other African countries should not be importing 100% of children's cartoons. Then we turn around and complain we're loosing aspects of our culture. As far as I'm concerned, we're the ones to blame. I include myself in that. Nicleodeon and Cartoon Network are just doing what they have to do. Are you trying to tell me it's beyond the mighty power of the 'so called giant of Africa' to produce at least one cartoon series of it's own for it's children and then blast it out to the world?!?

Of course I know things are changing and some hard working people are on the case. And things will change but everyone has to be on board from producers, the audience, advertisers, sponsors etc. But we have to move faster because we keep loosing generations of children every year we waste.

Some people might not see the importance in what I'm saying which is fair. But stop and think, if generations of children and youth from a particular country are not receiving positive representations of themselves and their culture but only foreign ones via media channels what do you think's going to happen? In my opinion you start to value other cultures over yours. That's very dangerous. OK rant over.
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by ugo2u(m): 11:58am On Sep 20, 2011
much easier said than done, the industry for cartoon production is still at an infant stage in this great country. to make a cartoon no be moi moi, you have the animators, the script writers the directors, and also have recording sessions and voice talent and not to mention the final output guys. now that is a staff of close to 50ppl as an average.

over there every cartoon is under a brand and not just anyone dreaming up to make it like walt disney did. and besides who is gonna agree to foot the bill in this country of ours? I am not saying that it is not feasible but there are many that are just interested in making money and cartoons are long time investments

needless to say most tv station will jump at the concept but the issue is are we willing to look beyond ourselves and make it work? Thank God some fearless bobos are on it already.
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by zPixel(m): 1:00am On Sep 21, 2011
ugo_2u:

now that is a staff of close to 50ppl as an average.
what happened to starting small?
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by ugo2u(m): 6:09am On Sep 21, 2011
i am in full support of that as well, I created a thread for us to come together and start a small project
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by AdamuW: 7:54am On Sep 21, 2011
ugo_2u:

much easier said than done, the industry for cartoon production is still at an infant stage in this great country. to make a cartoon no be moi moi, you have the animators, the script writers the directors, and also have recording sessions and voice talent and not to mention the final output guys. now that is a staff of close to 50ppl as an average.

over there every cartoon is under a brand and not just anyone dreaming up to make it like walt disney did. and besides who is gonna agree to foot the bill in this country of ours? I am not saying that it is not feasible but there are many that are just interested in making money and cartoons are long time investments

needless to say most tv station will jump at the concept but the issue is are we willing to look beyond ourselves and make it work? Thank God some fearless bobos are on it already.
Understood. But as @Zpixel said and you agreed on, let’s start small and build from there. We all know Disney didn’t to where it is now in even 10 years. I think the focus should be on creating content that’s good quality and relates to us. The talent is here in Nigeria and so is the money. The connections need to be made and the business/production structures need to be in place. We also have to believe on our own work. The majority of Nigerians find it very easy to laugh at things produced in Nigeria or they believe we shouldn’t even try certain things. It’s our job to prove them wrong. As animation producers/artists we have to be aggressive, focused and smart. Then investors etc will take us seriously. Things are changing. It’s just a matter of time.
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by DisGuy: 4:31pm On Oct 12, 2011
how many universities in Nigeria offer courses animation or multimedia technology

And there's nothing wrong in nigerians laughing at things produced in nigeria, it's only a phase that will be pass, the real value will come out when they take the criticism on board and keep at it, look at the music industry back then there were a lot of baggy jeans wearing homo sapien with yankee accent, look at it now

or hey collabo with musicians to get more coverage!"
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by Nymphnode(m): 4:35pm On Oct 12, 2011
We've all seen what Nollywood churn out daily. I can only pray our animations dont turn out same way. I'll suggest one step at a time
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by Nymphnode(m): 4:40pm On Oct 12, 2011
We've all seen what Nollywood churn out daily. I can only pray our animations dont turn out same way. I'll suggest one step at a time.
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by AjanleKoko: 4:45pm On Oct 12, 2011
Man, I can't help but laugh at this one! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Though, the only thing I'd say is . . . we have to start producing our own cartoons first. Just like when we started producing our own local contemporary music, and movies. Now you hardly got to a club anywhere in Nigeria where the airplay is not 80% local music. Mnet had to even set up channels to exclusively broadcast Nollywood content in Hausa, English, and Yoruba.

There are no local programs for children to speak of at this time, so the point is rather moot. If we start to make and produce programs that our children like, Mnet will create a channel for them grin
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by COMPAQ(m): 5:00pm On Oct 12, 2011
No one is talking about a channel on Mnet for them. How about just a local cartoon programme on NTA?
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by Wizkhalifa2(m): 5:09pm On Oct 12, 2011
@op
i wud rada watch Pinky nd the Brain dan watch Ali nd Simbi, wink
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by stepo707: 5:19pm On Oct 12, 2011
Wiz_khalifa:

@op
i wud rada watch Pinky nd the Brain dan watch Ali nd Simbi, wink

LOL
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by Parisgoodman(m): 5:36pm On Oct 12, 2011
one problem with nigerians is they dont encourage @ all, they only criticize which brings d country down. a little encouragemnt can make a scoundrel turn a hero, evry nigerian is made up of somthing tangible, somthing d world can recognise but we keep on killing each other. thumbs up 4 who eva have dis idea. dnt 4get d person bhind bill gate's wealth is a nigerian. d truth is cartoon business is a nice 1 but w
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by saintneo(m): 6:01pm On Oct 12, 2011
This call for Afro cartoons are totally rubbish to me. If a creative artist in Nigeria or anywhere else in Africa, teams up with a a good story-teller that can lead to educational cartoon to our kids, then they should look into selling it to cartoonnetwork or nickelodeon or whatever. Or go into some business partnership with HiTV or DSTV to air their franchise.

This is business we are talking about not politics.
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by AlabaSlim: 6:03pm On Oct 12, 2011
@parisgoodman
abeg tel mi d nigerian guy bhind bill gatez sukce$$
tank u
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 12, 2011
How about you PARENT and stop letting your kids WATCH cartoons? hmmm ? how about that?

Do you know why Asians test better on average than people everywhere? they have a culture of studying hard. in fact in Korea they now have the govt busting schools after 10pm and making the kids go home.

don't use TV has a babysitter. let your kids go out and play. or read a book.
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by sley4life(m): 6:09pm On Oct 12, 2011
They are very lazy. No 1 wants to build their talent.
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by Parisgoodman(m): 6:22pm On Oct 12, 2011
@ alaba i just gave u somtin new wch u dnt knw. 4 more info y not google or wikipedia ot ? seems u hate home work!!!
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 12, 2011
My Kids dont watch Cartoons, they actually act Cartoons -- Tom and Jerry cheesy
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by kayjegs: 6:40pm On Oct 12, 2011
I love this idea. Makes lots of sense. Programmers and animators can start working on this idea. Forget it not being accepted by the viewing public. It will surely be accepted if it is good. I thought of this idea long ago but I am not a programmer. It is a good one.
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by rareman(m): 6:46pm On Oct 12, 2011
Nice one their, good idea to stat producing locally, but before u stop importing sart producing, u know nature abhores vacuum
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by MMM2(m): 8:01pm On Oct 12, 2011
what of toy gun
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by AmakaG29(f): 8:51pm On Oct 12, 2011
I think this is a wonderful idea to create a cultural medium of our own. I fully intend to produce children's books for my little ones when I get to that place of having little ones. I always loved reading and writing. I want to take time out to ensure that they get the values I have in mind for them. Some of these kids shows have questionable messages.

Dora the Explorer? No, I don't want my child wandering around Lagos with a monkey and no adult supervision!
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 12, 2011
lol, Amaka, for someone who doesn't (seem to) have kids you sure know a lot about Dora, grin
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by freecocoa(f): 9:20pm On Oct 12, 2011
This is a good idea although I don't encourage kids watching too much Tv, I also don't see anything wrong with them watching something foreign because it will help develop their knowledge of other cultures,I mean they are not supposed to know only about Nigeria,if they can watch both then I think its okay but to stop the foreign one entirely,is not supported by me.
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by nex(m): 9:25pm On Oct 12, 2011
I believe this is a project that needs serious attention. A lot of these cartoons and children's programs are embedded with colour schemes (eg: Blue, White, Red), themes, and messages that build loyalty and allegiance to those countries, and we import them over here to our children, helping to spread other nations' propaganda to our impressionable infants.

We have to begin now, even if we have to begin small, but we must begin!
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by texazz: 9:36pm On Oct 12, 2011
Yet another dolt that's advocating the ban of something without the presence of a viable local alternative angry
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by igbo2011(m): 9:54pm On Oct 12, 2011
The Boondocks talks about Nigeria in their show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAPGuqCqKUM

But yes this is right, we need more shows produced in Nigeria about Nigerian culture. We need to start somewhere.
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by dipo1: 10:06pm On Oct 12, 2011
texazz:

Yet another dolt that's advocating the ban of something without the presence of a viable local alternative  angry

He is saying we should put in more effort at making indigenous cartoons, not that we ban outrightly
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 12, 2011
nex:

I believe this is a project that needs serious attention. A lot of these cartoons and children's programs are embedded with colour schemes (eg: Blue, White, Red), themes, and messages that build loyalty and allegiance to those countries, and we import them over here to our children, helping to spread other nations' propaganda to our impressionable infants.

We have to begin now, even if we have to begin small, but we must begin!
[/quote

You spot on,
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by iice(f): 4:25am On Oct 13, 2011
I don't agree with banning it. A combination sure (of foreign and ours) but not a total ban.
Re: Let's Stop Importing 100% of Our Children's Cartoons by omar22(m): 6:47am On Oct 13, 2011
Theirs nothing wrong the Cartoons people go over board with this culture issue, we forget that some aspect of our culture is barbaric! you are more likely to learn to count from 1 to 10 quicker watching Sesame Street than an infant school that's willing beat the numbers into you with a cane. Cartoon are funny, I could remember in the 80's watching children programs (naija made) they are not funny, I guess i could see why they were taken off air! if you cant make a kid laugh then whats the point of the program.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos of Best & Worst Y.O.L.O Tattoos from Around The World / Near-death Experiences Caught On Camera (shockingly Unbelievable) / Comic Lover: Post Your Drawings Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.