Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,957 members, 7,952,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:40 AM

Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages (4391 Views)

Poll: Do you spport tribal marriages???

YES I DO : 70% (17 votes)
NO! TRIBAL MARIAGES ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR "MODERN" PEOPLE!: 29% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Chinese Men's Marriages To African Women Causes Controversy In China / Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:51pm On Sep 20, 2011
Say Yes To Tribal Marriages My Nigerian Brothers And Sisters!

let us show all those people who love licking the feet of the west, that we Nigerians are a unique people with a rich culture and heritage and how we are determined to preserve, protect and nurture our culture, no matter what anyone says about it because it is OUR CULTURE, OUR BLOOD AND OUR TRIBES.    cool wink

our culture is in our hands.

[img]http://2.bp..com/_X-bW2OMg6gg/S8XgvIpi1WI/AAAAAAAAAEo/YBGYu_CGcr0/s1600/Picture2.png[/img]
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by emofine(f): 4:30pm On Sep 20, 2011
Well how is it even possible that you consider Nigerians as your "brother" and sisters" when you are so willing to discrimiante a large segement of the population on the basis of "tribe"

If two people from diffferefent backgrounds can see through their difference to work towards a marriage how does it affect you?

Sir you are just way too ethnocentric.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:33pm On Sep 20, 2011
we can be brothers/sisters and work for each other and help each other. but it doesnt mean we start marrying each other and haveing hybrid kids and destroying our culture. angry
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by ChinenyeN(m): 5:04pm On Sep 20, 2011
Do people actually have a problem with those who would only marry one of their own?
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by Fhemmmy: 5:54pm On Sep 20, 2011
Do you mean Inter-tribal marriage?
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by Wbong: 5:56pm On Sep 20, 2011
I agree with pagan. we lose our culture due to inter-tribal marriages

1 Like

Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 20, 2011
I will like to marry ibo but I'm scared.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by r231(m): 6:06pm On Sep 20, 2011
hmmm
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by ronkebp(f): 6:12pm On Sep 20, 2011
I think the poster is opposing inter-racial marraiges. he is supporting traditional marraiges as opposed to the western type. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by HighChief4(m): 6:21pm On Sep 20, 2011
~Bluetooth:

You scared you dont have enuff b[i]a[/i]lls grin grin grin
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by seedord247(m): 6:35pm On Sep 20, 2011
~Bluetooth:

hhahah Bros . . . na only 20 million naira you no fit marry Ibo
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by GrownMan(m): 6:50pm On Sep 20, 2011
@ Poster,

Do you mean inter-racial marriages or inter-cultural?

For me, I will marry whom ever I believe in and won't let racial or tribal issues get in the way. Wetin be tradition self if no be laws of men wey dey discriminate a group and allow a few?

Please let true love reign across the nation (at least)
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by Nobody: 7:18pm On Sep 20, 2011
i prefer yoruba, middlebeltans and nigerdeltans that can speak yoruba like me
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by lagcity(m): 7:35pm On Sep 20, 2011
i voted yes becos i thought the poster was talking about traditional weddings instead of church/western weddings. angry angry angry.

@OP get this in your head, inter-tribal marriages will only increase from now on. get used to it. culture is dynamic, not static. igbo culture, yoruba culture,etc will continue to change forever and ever. you can't hold any culture static, you'll lose the battle.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by Repubocrat(m): 7:37pm On Sep 20, 2011
I'm from Edo state, but I'm determined to marry a Nigerian woman from another tribe.

Why? Because I know there would be some stupid old Nigerian tribalist that will call me dirty names. Be rest assured that I won't hesitate to inflict harm on said individual in the form of merciless beatings ( slaps, kicks, punches. You name it. I'll do it!)

You people might think I'm joking but it's truly my number one fantasy to inflict harm on Nigerian tribalists. If given the opportunity to kill either a Nigerian tribalist or Hitler, I won't hesitate to spare Hitler.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by lagcity(m): 7:44pm On Sep 20, 2011
Repubocrat:

I'm from Edo state, but I'm determined to marry a Nigerian woman from another tribe.

Why? Because I know there would be some silly old Nigerian tribalist that will call me dirty names. Be rest assured that I won't hesitate to inflict harm on said individual in the form of merciless beatings ( slaps, kicks, punches. You name it. I'll do it!)

You people might think I'm joking but it's truly my number one fantasy to inflict harm on Nigerian tribalists. If given the opportunity to kill either a Nigerian tribalist or Hitler, I won't hesitate to spare Hitler.

good for you! trust me, your children will thank you for this becos they are going to have advantages others don't have.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by tpia5: 3:15am On Sep 21, 2011
^^his children will thank him for what?
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by tpia5: 3:16am On Sep 21, 2011
Do people actually have a problem with those who would only marry one of their own?

it seems they do.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by emofine(f): 6:07am On Sep 21, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

we can be brothers/sisters and work for each other and help each other. but it doesnt mean we start marrying each other and haveing hybrid kids and destroying our culture. angry

I'm sure your ancestors along their trajectory must have mixed whether minor or major, I don't think it necessarily destroys culture (because even some unmixed children don't even maintain their culture) but anyway to tell you the truth I don't think it's necessarily bad for you to want to marry your own but when you campaign for others to follow your path I just wonder

. . .the funny thing is the vast majority of every group on earth marries their own people so kini big deal . . . it's not like you're starting a revolution or something tongue

ChinenyeN:

That shouldn't be a bone of contention for people if someone prefers to marry one of their own becasue that's their buisness the same as I feel it shouldn't be the objective of another man to dictate which person such and such should be marrying imo.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by ChinenyeN(m): 2:55pm On Sep 21, 2011
tpia@:

it seems they do.
Wow. So this "progressive mindedness" thing permeated this much into people's skulls. Nawa.

emofine:

That shouldn't be a bone of contention for people if someone prefers to marry one of their own becasue that's their buisness the same as I feel it shouldn't be the objective of another man to dictate which person such and such should be marrying imo.
By 'dictate', I'm guessing you mean 'pressure' undecided . . Anyway, I don't see what's so wrong in that.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by HighChief4(m): 4:20pm On Sep 21, 2011
tpia@:

it seems they do.

Your posts are making small sense these days, nice one, now you only have to work on comprehension. Goodluck
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by emofine(f): 4:23pm On Sep 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Wow. So this "progressive mindedness" thing permeated this much into people's skulls. Nawa.
By 'dictate', I'm guessing you mean 'pressure' undecided . . Anyway, I don't see what's so wrong in that.

. . .only if it affects the person such as family or potential in-laws but quite frankly I don't know what business a random stranger has to be "pressuring" anyone on who they should be marrying . . . I don't know how he/she could be affected by another strangers choice (well maybe except when that stranger is from his tribe or alternatively wants to marry from his tribe undecided)

. . .anyway my 2 kobos have been spent.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:15pm On Sep 22, 2011
emofine:

. . .the funny thing is the vast majority of every group on earth marries their own people so kini big deal . . . it's not like you're starting a revolution or something tongue

what if I am

Repubocrat:

Why? Because I know there would be some silly old Nigerian tribalist that will call me dirty names. Be rest assured that I won't hesitate to inflict harm on said individual in the form of merciless beatings ( slaps, kicks, punches. You name it. I'll do it!)

All we tribalists want is for our tribes, culture and religion to survive and thrive in unity for Nigeria's progress. Trust me fellow, if I see a person like you anywhere near me, I will send you to jesus as soon as possible, so he can teach you to cut wood, in hell. angry angry angry angry
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:19pm On Sep 22, 2011
emofine:

Well how is it even possible that you consider Nigerians as your "brother" and sisters" when you are so willing to discrimiante a large segement of the population on the basis of "tribe"

who is talking about discrimination, sister i think you didnt get me. i am talking about UNITY IN DIVERSITY.

we tribesmen (and women) must preserve our tribes and culture, yet at the same time work[i] together[/i], for the progress and development of our nation. whats wrong in that
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by emofine(f): 8:26pm On Sep 22, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

who is talking about discrimination, sister   i think you didnt get me. i am talking about UNITY IN DIVERSITY.

Ok what I meant when I used the term discrimination is because of your stance you are prepared to overlook other women from Nigeria who do not happen to be from your tribe but then again that is completely your prerogative and I don't see anything malicious or wrong in that.

we tribesmen (and women) must preserve our tribes and culture, yet at the same time work[i] together[/i], for the progress and development of our nation. whats wrong in that

Well I do agree that culture must be preserved but remember culture is not static and I would be lying if I said I don't see any pros in such stance but even if one doesn't marry outside of their group people still adopt foreign culture (because we are all interdependent) whilst some even forsake their own.

Oh and of course someone like me - who hails from a tiny ethnic group - may feel the need to marry from my own group so as to encourage our population (I think in cases like such there is probably an urgency in implementing such ideal) . . . but like I said earlier it's your right to marry from your group just as I believe another person has the right to marry from the group they please . . . I'm not trying to undermine you it's just my opinion sha.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by tpia5: 3:01am On Sep 23, 2011
no doubt there are urgent reasons why someone would have to marry outside their ethnic group [gender imbalance or oppression being one of them], but for the most part a lot of people seem to approach dating and so on in an extremely frivolous manner as if they're really little more than s.perm donors.

or just looking for designer babies.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by lagcity(m): 3:06am On Sep 23, 2011
tpia@:

^^his children will thank him for what?

for having advantages. kids will have double ethnicity/language. if u live in naija, u will understand. it helps in networking and politics tooo.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by tpia5: 3:07am On Sep 23, 2011
oh does it.

btw i doubt any kid will thank his father for what he's threatening to do in his post.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by lagcity(m): 3:13am On Sep 23, 2011
^^^ yes it does. what is the father threatening?
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:08am On Sep 23, 2011
I have long decided to marry an Igbo chic from my beloved Anambra state and I will advice non Igbos to marry frm their own tribe an leave our priceless Igbo women alone!!
I will never give out my sisters to any tribe thats not Igbo!!
Leave our women ALONE!!
Ijaw,bini,edo and much other tribes have beautiful women too.
I will only spare akwaibom and cross rivers only.
We Igbos shuld keep and maintain our blood line,simply.

1 Like

Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by tpia5: 8:16pm On Sep 23, 2011
lagcity:

^^^ yes it does. what is the father threatening?

threatening to have the kid visit him [the father] in jail?

and that's if he's lucky.

also threatening to have the kid known as coming from a mad family.
Re: Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:10am On Sep 24, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

I have long decided to marry an Igbo chic from my beloved Anambra state and I will advice non Igbos to marry frm their own tribe an leave our priceless Igbo women alone!!
I will never give out my sisters to any tribe thats not Igbo!!
Leave our women ALONE!!
Ijaw,bini,edo and much other tribes have beautiful women too.
I will only spare akwaibom and cross rivers only.
We Igbos shuld keep and maintain our blood line,simply.

that is the spirit I want to see, brother!
I am Haussa but when I see such statement, I will not hesitate to say, LONG LIVE THE IGBO PEOPLES!!!!!!!!!!! grin wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Translate This Yoruba Sentence Into English / Why Are Ibo Girls More Fair And Prettier Than Other Tribe's Girls In Nigeria? / The Igbo Merit Structure... What It Really Means.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.