Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,049 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

What Saved The Thief On The Cross? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Saved The Thief On The Cross? (8724 Views)

The Thief on the cross / What Saved The Day When You Almost Quit The Faith? / What Saved Me When I Almost Turned Against God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:43am On Apr 07, 2023
What Saved The Thief On The Cross?

It wasn't just faith but good works that saved the thief on the cross.

He didn't just put his faith in Jesus and pray for Jesus to remember him as many erroneously think. He did much more than that!

Luke 23:39-41 (KJV)

And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

This was what the thief said before he told Jesus to remember him. He defended and stood up for Jesus against the other thief while on the cross.

He rebuked him saying, "do you not fear God" because of what he said to Jesus.

Is that not a good work he did for Jesus on the cross?

Remember, this was the loneliest moment in the life of Jesus.

His disciples who He said He would reward with a kingdom because they were there with Him in His temptations, had all forsaken Him and fled, so they weren't there with Him during the moment of the greatest temptation He ever faced. Luke 22:28-30, Mark 14:50.

Worst still, His Father whose presence Jesus valued more than anything else, of who He once said, had never left Him, had now also forsaken Him.

John 8:29 (KJV)

And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

Matthew 27:46 (KJV)

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

So this was the same moment on the cross that the thief had risen to the defence of Jesus when He had no one else there to back Him up or bear witness of Him, so was that not a good work the thief on the cross did for Jesus?

It wasn't just a good work but a great and strategic work, and the thief himself appeared to know that he had done an important work for Jesus, hence the language he used.

He said "Lord remember me..." Luke 23:42 (KJV)

He could have said "Lord save me" or "Lord help me" but he said "Lord remember me".

It reminds me of what Joseph said to the cup bearer of Pharoah after he interpreted his dream.

There has to be something to be remembered for, and for the thief it was the great thing he did for Jesus on the cross.

He was there for Jesus in His most trying moment when no one else was, hence Jesus who didn't respond to the request of the other sinner to also save him, didn't hesitate but instantly granted his request.

Luke 23:43 (KJV)

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

So the thief didn't just believe or have faith in Jesus to save him, he did a good work for Jesus on the cross.

God bless

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:44am On Apr 07, 2023
God only remembers people for the good they do for Him not those He did for them.

The gentile centurion was remembered by God because of the good work he did for God.

Acts 10:4 (KJV)

And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God.

Therefore if you want Jesus to also remember you when He comes, you must also do a good work for Him that you could be remembered for.

God bless.

10 Likes

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Amotolongbo(f): 7:51am On Apr 07, 2023
But who was with them to record these conversations between the said thieves and Jesus on the cross?

6 Likes

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:53am On Apr 07, 2023
Amotolongbo:
But who was with them to record these conversations between the said thieves and Jesus on the cross?
Jesus' mother, Mary, was there among others... Not on the cross though.

6 Likes

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Amotolongbo(f): 7:54am On Apr 07, 2023
jesusjnr2020:
Jesus' mother, Mary, was there among others.
scripture verse(s) to establish that?

1 Like

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by TenQ: 7:57am On Apr 07, 2023
Amotolongbo:
Several people including
Mary the mother of Jesus, John the disciple of Jesus and others. John actually documented this

John 19:25-27:
"Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple (John) standing by, whom he loved, he said to his mother, Woman, behold your son! Then said he to the disciple, Behold your mother! And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home."

12 Likes

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:58am On Apr 07, 2023
Amotolongbo:
scripture verse(s) to establish that?

John 19:25 (KJV)

Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Enskynelson(m): 8:50am On Apr 07, 2023
The thief on the cross got saved for the following;
1. He realised and admitted he was a sinner
Luke 23:41
[41]And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.”

2. He believed Jesus' could save
Luke 23:42
[42]Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”

3. He asked Jesus' to save him

That is exactly what we need to get saved even today!
Acknowledge that we are sinners, believer that Jesus' can save and ask him to save us
Glory!!!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by jesusjnr2020(m): 10:55am On Apr 07, 2023
Enskynelson:
[41]And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.”

Acknowledge that we are sinners, believer that Jesus' can save and ask him to save us
Glory!!!
You didn't say anything about repentance, or isn't that a requirement to be saved?

He bore bore fruits worthy of repentance before he was saved by Jesus or don't you agree?

The other thief knew he was a sinner too and also asked Jesus to save him but wasn't saved by Him.

1 Like

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Enskynelson(m): 11:33am On Apr 07, 2023
jesusjnr2020:
You didn't say anything about repentance, or isn't that a requirement to be saved?

He bore bore fruits worthy of repentance before he was saved by Jesus or don't you agree?

The other thief knew he was a sinner too and also asked Jesus to save him but wasn't saved by Him.

Of cos, no salvation without genuine repentance. The thief's heart was all visible to Him who is able to see beyond those words spoken by the thief on the right hand side. The time however was short for the theif to bear the fruits of genuine repentance such as him not stealing any more, restitution etc.
Matt 3:8... Fruits are generally a product of a tree. It's a product of a process that after repentance we begin to see changes.
The strategy on how he spoke and all that all matters less because Jesus' could see his heart and intentions even if he he had no means of expressing himself in such terms.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by jesusjnr2020(m): 12:18pm On Apr 07, 2023
Enskynelson:

Of cos, no salvation without genuine repentance. The thief's heart was all visible to Him who is able to see beyond those words spoken by the thief on the right hand side. The time however was short for the theif to bear the fruits of genuine repentance such as him not stealing any more, restitution etc.
Matt 3:8... Fruits are generally a product of a tree. It's a product of a process that after repentance we begin to see changes.
The strategy on how he spoke and all that all matters less because Jesus' could see his heart and intentions even if he he had no means of expressing himself in such terms.
Words from out mouths could also count as fruits, for out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks, so i believe his words on the cross to the other thief was a result of a repentant heart, hence Jesus' acceptance of his request, so I agree with you on that part.
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Kobojunkiee: 6:33pm On Apr 07, 2023
Enskynelson:
■ The thief on the cross got saved for the following;
Luke 23:41 [41]And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.”
2. He believed Jesus' could save - Luke 23:42 [42]Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”
3. He asked Jesus' to save him - That is exactly what we need to get saved even today!
Glory!!!
1. But Jesus Christ said except a man is a born-again, He can't enter into the Kingdom of God - John 3 vs 1 - 8 and in order to be born-again, one has to be born of water and born of the spirit — these processes aren't automagical in any way or form. What this means is the thief was not saved by the standard of God's New Law in the Kingdom of God but instead by another standard and that is the Old Law of Moses. In Ezekiel 33 vs 10 - 20 is where we find the standard by which the thief on the cross was instead justified. This is the same standard by which many, such as Zaccheus, were also justified. undecided

By the way, when Jesus Christ promised the thief on the cross that He would be with Him in paradise that same day, Jesus Christ meant that the man would die that same day. Paradise is a euphemism for the grave. undecided

1 Like

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Kobojunkiee: 6:39pm On Apr 07, 2023
Enskynelson:
■ Of cos, no salvation without genuine repentance. The thief's heart was all visible to Him who is able to see beyond those words spoken by the thief on the right hand side. The time however was short for the theif to bear the fruits of genuine repentance such as him not stealing any more, restitution etc. Matt 3:8... Fruits are generally a product of a tree. It's a product of a process that after repentance we begin to see changes.
1. This is you stretching what was instead written abeg! undecided
Also, in the context of the passage that is Matthew 3 vs 7 - 11, John the Baptist, more importantly, explained that the baptism by water was a sign to mark the repentance that had already previously taken place.
7 Many Pharisees and Sadducees came to where John was baptizing people. When John saw them, he said, “You are all snakes! Who warned you to run from God’s judgment that is coming?
8 Change your hearts! And show by the way you live that you have changed.
9 I know what you are thinking. You want to say, ‘but Abraham is our father!’ That means nothing. I tell you, God could make children for Abraham from these rocks.
10 The ax is now ready to cut down the trees. Every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
11 “I baptize you with water to show that you have changed your hearts and lives. But there is someone coming later who is able to do more than I can. I am not good enough to be the slave who takes off his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. - Matthew 3 vs 11
Repentance of the kind expected is not a moment's decision but a change in lifestyle that takes place over an extended period. undecided
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Enskynelson(m): 6:47pm On Apr 07, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
1. But Jesus Christ said except a man is a born-again, He can't enter into the Kingdom of God - John 3 vs 1 - 8 and in order to be born-again, one has to be born of water and born of the spirit — these processes aren't automagical in any way or form. What this means is the thief was not saved by the standard of God's New Law in the Kingdom of God but instead by another standard and that is the Old Law of Moses. In Ezekiel 33 vs 10 - 20 is where we find the standard by which the thief on the cross was instead justified. This is the same standard by which many, such as Zaccheus, were also justified. undecided

By the way, when Jesus Christ promised the thief on the cross that He would be with Him in paradise that same day, Jesus Christ meant that the man would die that same day. Paradise is a euphemism for the grave. undecided
The bold won't allow me to try to explain anything you said above. It's an indication of whom I am dealing with and it any other explanation is not required. SELAH

1 Like

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Kobojunkiee: 7:09pm On Apr 07, 2023
Enskynelson:
■ The bold won't allow me to try to explain anything you said above. It's an indication of whom I am dealing with and it any other explanation is not required. SELAH
1. Well, yeah, I am someone you cannot sell lies to for sure. undecided

1 Like

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by sonmvayina(m): 8:18pm On Apr 07, 2023
TenQ:

Several people including
Mary the mother of Jesus, John the disciple of Jesus and others. John actually documented this

John 19:25-27:
"Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple (John) standing by, whom he loved, he said to his mother, Woman, behold your son! Then said he to the disciple, Behold your mother! And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home."

How did you figure out that John was the disciple jesus loves ?
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:06am On Apr 09, 2023
sonmvayina:

How did you figure out that John was the disciple jesus loves ?
Oh you taught he wrote the book he quoted?
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by sonmvayina(m): 8:37am On Apr 09, 2023
jesusjnr2020:
Oh you taught he wrote the book he quoted?

I don't get you....

How did you figure out the disciples jesus loved was John...

Me think it was Joseph of Arimathea...or probably Nicodemus....
Does it not prove like the Catholic say that Mary has no more children after jesus.....because jesus gave his mother to John to look after, if he had siblings he would not give their mother to someone else to take care of...or except John was his brother......
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by jesusjnr2020(m): 9:18am On Apr 09, 2023
sonmvayina:

I don't get you....

How did you figure out the disciples jesus loved was John...

Me think it was Joseph of Arimathea...or probably Nicodemus....
Does it not prove like the Catholic say that Mary has no more children after jesus.....because jesus gave his mother to John to look after, if he had siblings he would not give their mother to someone else to take care of...or except John was his brother......
He said it himself in the same book or haven't you seen where he said it or you don't believe it was he who said it? John 21:24
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by sonmvayina(m): 9:57am On Apr 09, 2023
jesusjnr2020:
He said it himself in the same book or haven't you seen where he said it or you don't believe it was he who said it? John 21:24

Said what himself...?

He never said he was the disciple jesus loved..

Lazarus is another candidate for the disciple jesus loved...
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by correctguy101(m): 10:12am On Apr 09, 2023
sonmvayina:

Said what himself...?

Or Judas Is a Carrot grin

1 Like

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by CodeTemplar: 10:50am On Apr 09, 2023
Confused OP.

Always jumping into conclusions.

Repentance after confession came before his salvation aided all aided by faith factor.

1 Like

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by CodeTemplar: 10:52am On Apr 09, 2023
Amotolongbo:
the Spirit of God.

Ideas are formed in the spirit/soulish realm and all the bible are Holy Spirit inspired.
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:50am On Apr 16, 2023
sonmvayina:

Said what himself...?

Okay you don't know John said it himself or don't want to know.
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by saintfaculty(m): 9:36am On Apr 16, 2023
smiley
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Larrysung(m): 9:36am On Apr 16, 2023
If only we can all be like that thief 🔥🔥
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by PerfectJUSTICE: 9:37am On Apr 16, 2023
You tell us
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Vyzz: 9:38am On Apr 16, 2023
wink
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Todaymedia: 9:38am On Apr 16, 2023
See reasons why Peter Obi Should Let Go, and Build Labour Party ahead of 2027 Election

Watch video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hom_NKn-hIQ
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Righteousness2(m): 9:38am On Apr 16, 2023
He called on JESUS CHRIST.

For whosoever shall call on the Name of JESUS shall be saved.

3 Likes

Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Flangelo12: 9:40am On Apr 16, 2023
Na sense.

grin
Re: What Saved The Thief On The Cross? by Bishop(m): 9:40am On Apr 16, 2023
Enskynelson:

Glory!!!

Flesh and blood didn't reveal this to you.. Go in God's strength

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Religion And Education In Nigeria / Today I Quit Going To Church: It's All A Sham / End Time Sign: Most Christians' Faith In God Is At All Time Low

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.