Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,417 members, 7,853,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 04:50 AM

"Essence Restored:" How DLBC- Past.kumuyi Started Ministry By Rev'd Micheal Oye - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Essence Restored:" How DLBC- Past.kumuyi Started Ministry By Rev'd Micheal Oye (233 Views)

Divine Solution For All Crusade By Past. Kumuyi Ft Nathaniel Bassey & Ron Kenoly / Rape: Victoria Nkong 'Bishop Akinola Micheal Fowowe Attempted To Rape Me' / Lagos Independence Anniversary Service @ Dlbc Gbagada Lagos Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"Essence Restored:" How DLBC- Past.kumuyi Started Ministry By Rev'd Micheal Oye by Racoon(m): 1:26am On Apr 09, 2023
(Pastor) Kumuyi was my classmate in UI and we finished the same day. (While) I served as (SU*) Travelling Secretary, he started teaching in Mayflower, Ikenne. He was a member of the Apostolic Faith but he had so many contacts with the SU. He could not fully practice the type of life in SU because of the restriction in his church.

For example, until 1966 he had never spoken to anybody about Christ. It was forbidden in his church, until I went to Ikenne as a Travelling Secretary and stayed in his room and I had to challenge him from the word of God. I said "Look, you are born again, sanctified in the Spirit and you have been here for a whole year without touching anybody here."

Then I opened the Bible and (showed him) how Apollos who didn't even know Christ preached the gospel until people were being born again and how he was later trained by a family and went back to do more effective work. I said "That man would stand in judgment against you."

I took him to John 4; showed him the Samaritan woman who had just received the Lord Jesus Christ and within minutes went into the city of Samaria and told all the people. I said "This woman would stand against you in judgment".

This man was so sensitive to that word that he broke down in tears and we prayed together. That same evening I went to visit Ayepe Girls Grammar School to meet the SU group there and the Lord said "As soon as they finish praying, call your friend up to preach". So, I went to him and said, "The Lord said you should preach tonight."

He was terribly reluctant because according to his church doctrine, you mustn't preach until you were baptised in the Holy Spirit. I said, "Look, your church doctrine is wrong. You're already overflowing with the Holy Spirit.

When he was insisting, I said, "My friend, I have announced your name to the people. Don't disgrace yourself. Just go there and tell the people about salvation." On that day, 30 girls gave their lives to Christ and that was the beginning of (Pastor) Kumuyi's ministry.

Later I gave him books on Evangelism, (and) the Holy Spirit, and he read them. I gave him the 44 Sermons of John Wesley and he digested them. But, the people of his church saw those books with him and instructed him to return them to me because they were poisonous. But he had read them before returning them and...the seed had been sown.

From that day he started personal evangelism and many of the people who came to Christianity through his personal evangelism were directed to his church where they started testifying that they came to Christ after (Pastor) Kumuyi preached to them.

And that caused more trouble for him because he had started going against church doctrine. The situation worsened until they eventually dis-fellowshipped him. When this happened, he came to me and I told him he shouldn't worry. "Start teaching the people that come to you in your sitting room". So that was how he started.

SU = Scripture Union

Reverend Michael Oye; culled from "Essence Restored" (words in parentheses, mine).
https://m./deeperlifebiblechurchsingles/permalink/901700961113390/?mibextid=Nif5oz

It Takes Humility To Follow God – Rev. Oye

Rev. (Dr.) Mike Oye is a foremost Christian leader with over 50 years of active Christian leadership in Nigeria. He is well sought after in conferences and Christian seminars. He spoke with select journalists, including Chinyere Abiaziem on his intriguing salvation encounter and what Christians should avoid to stay flourishing. Excerpts:

You are 80 and still look so young and you have been in the face of the church for about 50 years can you tell us more?

I came to the Lord in 1962. I was born and raised in Ghana. After my A Levels I was teaching in a secondary school in Ghana, one small girl, a student gave me a tract. I read it and put it away but after about two weeks, a Ghanaian secular record woke me from sleep at about 5 a.m. and part of the song was that one day you would give account.

Then it brought the message of that tract into my heart. I just found myself kneeing by my bed and confessing my past from just that message from the secular music. So it is not that I went to church anywhere. Originally I was a Catholic because my parents were Catholics but I rebelled years before then because I hated any form of idolatry.

So I stopped going to that church. I became a Jehovah’s Witness for four years. I was in secondary school. What I learnt was zeal for evangelism but their message itself was poison. I learnt from the Catholics’ serious devotions. I learnt from Jehovah Witness zeal for God’s work.

So when I came to church those things were there. When I came to University of Ibadan two weeks after my conversion I joined the Ibadan Varsity Christian Union (IVCU) so I grew so rapidly and by the time I got to my final year, I became the President of the fellowship and my zeal was that all Scripture Union (SU) meetings, camp meetings I was there.

Then the SU was already established in Nigeria. At my graduation, SU appointed me that I should be their traveling Secretary. That was how I became their traveling secretary. I was traveling from state to state, to secondary schools, Teachers Training Colleges, all tertiary institutions, establishing fellowships, that was during the revival in the country in the 70s’ after the civil war.

Who were your contemporaries?

W.F. Kumuyi. I actually trained Kumuyi in evangelism and when the Apostolic Faith had to sack him due to his personal evangelistic courage, I encouraged him that if they had rejected him, Jesus Christ didn’t build temples; fellowships were in people’s homes. So I encouraged him to start a fellowship.

More...................
https://independent.ng/it-takes-humility-to-follow-god-rev-oye/ nlfpmod

Re: "Essence Restored:" How DLBC- Past.kumuyi Started Ministry By Rev'd Micheal Oye by Racoon(m): 1:31am On Apr 09, 2023
God's generals of our generation. The people who really witnessed God's revival and transformational moves back then when Christianity was Christianity. Where people feel bold to declare for God.

I was told of the uniqueness of Pastor Kumuyi hostel room in University of Ibadan during his undergraduate days. Watched him preached during my campus days during the "Say No! Act Right" programme those days. It is difficult seeing uncompromising men who stood for the truth.
Re: "Essence Restored:" How DLBC- Past.kumuyi Started Ministry By Rev'd Micheal Oye by muyico(m): 12:21pm On Apr 09, 2023
Gud 2 knw!

(1) (Reply)

When I Do This To Bishop Oyedepo, He'll Know I'm Ijaw Man -asari Dokubo (VIDEO) / Watch How Mecca Stone Was Stolen Share Pls / Spiritchant Tv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.