Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,556 members, 7,955,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:01 PM

Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 (6738 Views)

Poll: Who Wins This Match?

Chelsea: 90% (10 votes)
Fulham: 9% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Chelsea Vs Fulham (2 - 0) On 21st September 2013 / Arsenal Vs Fulham 3 - 3 On 10th November 2012 / Manchester United Vs Fulham - (3 - 2) 25th August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by mukina2: 2:26am On Sep 21, 2011
Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas is planning to flood his team with youngsters for Wednesday night's Carling Cup third-round tie with Fulham.

The competition often provides an opportunity for the bigger teams to give some emerging players the chance to shine.

And, despite being on the lookout for a first piece of silverware since taking the reins at Stamford Bridge in the summer, Villas-Boas will give his second-string players a chance to shine.

"The Carling Cup is an opportunity for us to put our best young talents across and give them experiences in these kinds of situations,'' said Villas-Boas, who announced Josh McEachran, Romelu Lukaku, Oriol Romeu and Ryan Bertrand will start, with Didier Drogba leading the line after being sidelined for more than three weeks with a sickening head injury.
"For us, it is not a new approach to the competition, because we did it last year.

"It gives us a very good idea of where we stand regarding the young players that we are trying to bring through.''

That also means another rest for vice-captain Frank Lampard, who was withdrawn at half-time on Sunday with Chelsea trailing 3-0.

That decision was seen by some as the latest evidence the 33-year-old is on the wane.

But Villas-Boas said: "It was an attacking substitution that we thought played right, not because Lamps was playing badly, because he wasn't.

"He was having quite an impact in the game. It was just something that we had to do in the game to adapt the team to a more attacking style.

"Frank is a fantastic player and he will be one of our key players - as will the others - for the rest of the season.''

Villas-Boas insisted Lampard had nothing to prove, despite also losing his England place this month.

"When you have won so much in the game, and when you have such proven quality, when Frank has the amount of prestige that he's gained nationally and internationally, he doesn't have to prove anything to anybody,'' he said.

"He's a top player in the world, could add to any team in the world. Jose Mourinho wanted him when he left Chelsea.

"I'd be surprised if a player of this dimension is aggressively touched throughout the end of his playing days.''

Villas-Boas revealed the likes of Lampard were unlikely to be involved at all in the Carling Cup this season, a policy that is in stark contrast to that of Villas-Boas' mentor, Mourinho.

"In those times, there was an aggressive approach to winning the first trophy available,'' said Villas-Boas.

"I'm nobody to judge Jose's choice on that situation.''

Insisting Chelsea's youngsters were perfectly capable of succeeding, he added: "We also want to win the most amount of trophies possible.

"But we have taken this approach to the Carling Cup to promote the youngsters.''

Martin Jol believes the Carling Cup may be a competition too far for Fulham this season - but will do his best to knock out Chelsea.

The Cottagers came through qualification for the Europa League and are set to play their 15th match of the season when they make the two-mile trip down Fulham Road to take on their west London neighbours.

Both managers are set to ring the changes, but Jol feels battling on all fronts is just not possible for a squad like Fulham's.

"I would not say it is one too many if you don't play in Europe, but it is certainly one too many if you play in other competitions,'' Jol told a news conference.

"If you do not have these games in Europe, you can easily play your best team, which is what I did in my first year at Spurs.

"The Carling Cup is there for a team outside the top four to win - on the other hand, you play a lot of games in Europe, so that is the only disappointing thing.''

Fulham have a doubt over Algerian defender Rafik Halliche because of illness as Jol prepares to freshen up his side.

Captain Danny Murphy and centre-back Brede Hangeland are among those likely to be rested following what has been a hectic start to the new season on the back of Europa League qualification.

Defender Bjorn Helge Riise (groin) remains sidelined, but Aaron Hughes (knee) could return for the weekend's Premier League game against West Brom.

Match
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by chelseabmw(m): 8:11am On Sep 21, 2011
Chelsea's Day
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by sylve11: 10:31am On Sep 21, 2011
to lost bah? smiley shocked
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by wilxz(m): 10:43am On Sep 21, 2011
Make e no be like last season wey newcastle pursue us commot o!, i no wan hear story for any of my trophies.
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by 9jablog: 10:46am On Sep 21, 2011
promoting youngsters. for chelsea, hehehehehehe i dey laugh oh, copy copy
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by Ayoobscom(m): 11:33am On Sep 21, 2011
If chelsea strikers refuse to score in todays game then coach should try placing the players wings upside down , but thank God Drogba seems to be playing
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by sylve11: 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2011
Ayoobscom:

If chelsea strikers refuse to score in todays game then coach should try placing the players wings upside down , but thank God Drogba seems to be playing

u mean JT playing as striker upfront, ni? grin grin cool
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by chelseabmw(m): 5:23pm On Sep 21, 2011
sylve11:

to lost bah? smiley shocked

my Chelsea?
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by mukina2: 7:48pm On Sep 21, 2011
game on!
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by nateevs(m): 7:50pm On Sep 21, 2011
Kalou and Malouda already showing why they are not featured in the first 11.
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by lalaboi(m): 7:51pm On Sep 21, 2011
Nateevz. . Where u watching the game from? link?
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by coogar: 7:52pm On Sep 21, 2011
nateevs:

Kalou and Malouda already showing why they are not featured in the first 11.

i hope fulham smashes chelsea. grin
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by nateevs(m): 7:56pm On Sep 21, 2011
lalaboi:

Nateevz. . Where u watching the game from? link?

livefootballol.com
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by FBS: 7:57pm On Sep 21, 2011
Josh! see pass! thuraya l'omo!
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by nateevs(m): 7:58pm On Sep 21, 2011
coogar:

i hope fulham smashes chelsea. grin

You wish. We have Plan B if things go awry.
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by lalaboi(m): 7:59pm On Sep 21, 2011
nateevs:

livefootballol.com

cheers mahn
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by nateevs(m): 8:01pm On Sep 21, 2011
lalaboi:

cheers mahn

Enjoy!

Meanwhile wetin do Malouda?
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by FBS: 8:03pm On Sep 21, 2011
was that a pen? undecided grin
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by FBS: 8:04pm On Sep 21, 2011
close, kalou!
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by nateevs(m): 8:08pm On Sep 21, 2011
FBS

See as Josh find striker from 40 yards away. .
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by FBS: 8:09pm On Sep 21, 2011
nateevs:

FBS

See as Josh find striker from 40 yards away. .
walahi. . .if you see the smile on my face ehn)))) cheesy

Lukakuuuuuuuu! aaaaa!
o need polishing men. cheesy
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by nateevs(m): 8:29pm On Sep 21, 2011
Why oh Why did Danny ruin that?
Josh on fire. . . That should have been a goal.
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by FBS: 8:29pm On Sep 21, 2011
strurrigde. wetin do you?
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by nateevs(m): 8:33pm On Sep 21, 2011
Danny don wound. . Lamps coming on.
Malouda moves to the flanks . .
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by FBS: 8:35pm On Sep 21, 2011
that could have been a fine goal.
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by Nobody: 8:38pm On Sep 21, 2011
Keep us updated.
Some of us are on the road.

Meanwhile , Cech should have been rested.
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by FBS: 8:45pm On Sep 21, 2011
Josh stands out for me. Confidence po baje! smiley
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by nateevs(m): 8:46pm On Sep 21, 2011
Every time Josh is called upon, he fits right in.
I am noticing a few similarities in Josh and Romeu - their neatness and close control of the ball.

However, I think Romeu does not have pace but he is not slow on the ball.

----------

End of first half.

Lamps I believe will move to RCM and josh to LCM in the second half.
I have been impressed with Lukaku. He's showing good signs.
I was at first worried about his touch but I guess he was nervous. He soon shook it off.

Malouda - in fact, I don't know what to do with him again.
Alex has saved us a few times.
Bertrand has been ok going forward but he hasn't had a lot to do. If anything at all, his crosses are always better than Ashley's.
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 21, 2011
that could have been a fine goal.

Fine goal for whom and by whom?
C'mon sir, run this commentary like Andy Gray.  wink
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by marcus1234: 8:49pm On Sep 21, 2011
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by nateevs(m): 8:51pm On Sep 21, 2011
BlueDiva:

Fine goal for whom and by whom?
C'mon sir, run this commentary like Andy Gray.  wink

Fine goal by Josh.
From midfield he lifts the ball over two fulham players into the path of Kalou and runs into space.

Kalou returns the ball to Josh and he neatly takes it on his thigh and walks straight into the box and beat the fulham keeper with a nice touch.

Second half and Kalou just wasted a fine opportunity.
Re: Carling Cup: Chelsea Vs Fulham (4 - 3) Pens On 21st September 2011 by nateevs(m): 8:53pm On Sep 21, 2011
And the referee has just ruined the game. A fine tackle by Alex has been called a penalty and he even was red carded when he wasn't the player . . .

Ridiculous.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Names Of Chelsea Coaches Sacked Under Roman Abramovich / Carling Cup Semi: Man City Vs Man Utd [2 - 1] On Tues, 19th Jan / Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.