Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,941 members, 7,828,306 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us (5686 Views)

Features Of Genesis GV80: The Car That Saved Tiger Woods' Life / ♒ ♒ Recover Your Lost/Stolen Custom Duty Documents Here ♒ / California WildFire: Toyota Tundra That Saved Many Lives, Toyota Responds(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by clementjava: 5:54pm On Apr 23, 2023
Changing a Vehicle's VIN

clement clement
Why will VIN of a vehicle change?

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a unique 17-character code assigned to every vehicle that identifies its make, model, year, and other important information. In general, the VIN of a vehicle does not change during its lifetime, as it serves as a permanent and unique identifier for that specific vehicle.

However, there are certain situations where the VIN of a vehicle may change. Some common reasons include:

Vehicle reconstruction: If a vehicle is severely damaged and needs to be rebuilt, a new VIN may be assigned to the rebuilt vehicle. This is usually done to help track the history of the vehicle and ensure that it is safe to operate on the road.

Title issues: If there are issues with the title of a vehicle, such as fraud or a mistake on the paperwork, a new VIN may be assigned to the vehicle to clear up any confusion or legal issues.

Stolen or recovered vehicles: In some cases, stolen vehicles may be recovered and assigned a new VIN to prevent them from being sold illegally.

Importing/exporting: When a vehicle is imported or exported to another country, it may need to have its VIN changed to comply with local regulations or to prevent fraud.

Overall, while the VIN of a vehicle typically does not change during its lifetime, there are certain situations where a new VIN may be assigned to the vehicle for legal or safety reasons.

4 Likes

Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by SisterAnn(f): 5:55pm On Apr 23, 2023
onlinediva:

You are welcome.
Stolen or not, I will never buy a car with such grave inconsistency.
Thank you for the enlightenment.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by Oracleee: 6:03pm On Apr 23, 2023
onlinediva:

Not sure you are correct with the accusation either; STOLEN used in the subject was used to catch attention.

As other people have said, it might be for other reasons and I'm not disputing that.

If you were you the one knowing that about the car, will you still go ahead buying it?

See you are correct.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by Oracleee: 6:06pm On Apr 23, 2023
clementjava:

Changing a Vehicle's VIN

clement clement

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a unique 17-character code assigned to every vehicle that identifies its make, model, year, and other important information. In general, the VIN of a vehicle does not change during its lifetime, as it serves as a permanent and unique identifier for that specific vehicle.

However, there are certain situations where the VIN of a vehicle may change. Some common reasons include:

Vehicle reconstruction: If a vehicle is severely damaged and needs to be rebuilt, a new VIN may be assigned to the rebuilt vehicle. This is usually done to help track the history of the vehicle and ensure that it is safe to operate on the road.

Title issues: If there are issues with the title of a vehicle, such as fraud or a mistake on the paperwork, a new VIN may be assigned to the vehicle to clear up any confusion or legal issues.

Stolen or recovered vehicles: In some cases, stolen vehicles may be recovered and assigned a new VIN to prevent them from being sold illegally.

Importing/exporting: When a vehicle is imported or exported to another country, it may need to have its VIN changed to comply with local regulations or to prevent fraud.

Overall, while the VIN of a vehicle typically does not change during its lifetime, there are certain situations where a new VIN may be assigned to the vehicle for legal or safety reasons.

Thanks for educating us all. I know of the vehicle reconstruction part. Once happened to a Hilux I know of all thanks to a ghastic accident and our smart panel beaters.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 6:14pm On Apr 23, 2023
Oracleee:

Thanks for educating us all. I know of the vehicle reconstruction part. Once happened to a Hilux I know of all thanks to a ghastic accident and our smart panel beaters.

So, the VIN of the hilux was legally changed in Nigeria to the one car scanner will detect when used on it?
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 6:17pm On Apr 23, 2023
clementjava:

Changing a Vehicle's VIN

clement clement

If VIN is legally and appropriately changed, VIN that the car scanner will detect will be the same on the windscreen and driver door post.

Anything different from that as it is the case of this benz, run to avoid wahala.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by iLoveYouToo(m): 6:22pm On Apr 23, 2023
RomanGreen:

Why not give reasons why a car scanner will churn out a different result for a supposed clean car instead of ranting. It's really difficult to have genuine conversation with some of you without being combative

There’s nothing honest or genuine here, OP is already alleging that the car was stolen/ there’s foul play rather than leaving options for a sincere reason for the discrepancy
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 6:26pm On Apr 23, 2023
RomanGreen:

Why not give reasons why a car scanner will churn out a different result for a supposed clean car instead of ranting. It's really difficult to have genuine conversation with some of you without being combative

Exactly!!!
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 6:30pm On Apr 23, 2023
iLoveYouToo:

There’s nothing honest or genuine here, OP is already alleging that the car was stolen/ there’s foul play rather than leaving options for a sincere reason for the discrepancy

onlinediva:

If VIN is legally and appropriately changed, VIN that the car scanner will detect will be the same on the windscreen and driver door post.

Anything different from that as it is the case of this benz, run to avoid wahala.

Research on the quoted.
Think about about the quoted.

Do you think I'm a novice when it comes to automobile? The update was originally made to create awareness of what most people don't know. Not really about hearing from some criminals who will want to defend it or divert people's mind from knowing the main awareness.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by iLoveYouToo(m): 6:39pm On Apr 23, 2023
onlinediva:

Research on the quoted.
Think about about the quoted.

Do you think I'm a novice when it comes to automobile? The update was originally made to create awareness of what most people don't know. Not really about hearing from some criminals who will want to defend it or divert people's mind from knowing the main awareness.

Oya now, since you say it was stolen, IT WAS STOLEN

1 Like

Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by princely4ever: 6:40pm On Apr 23, 2023
Hello @onlinediva

What do you think about this car bidding site called Aunction Export?

Have you had any experience using the platform before?
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 6:41pm On Apr 23, 2023
iLoveYouToo:

Oya now, since you say it was stolen, IT WAS STOLEN

cool
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 6:43pm On Apr 23, 2023
princely4ever:
Hello @onlinediva

What do you think about this car bidding site called Aunction Export?

Have you had any experience using the platform before?

Auction Export is not bad
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by Oracleee: 6:44pm On Apr 23, 2023
onlinediva:

So, the VIN of the hilux was legally changed in Nigeria to the one car scanner will detect when used on it?

Legally I can't say.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 6:51pm On Apr 23, 2023
Oracleee:

Legally I can't say.

undecided undecided undecided
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by thecommunist(m): 6:59pm On Apr 23, 2023
it may not be stolen. if the brain box has been replaced, it will show the VIN of the vehicle from which the brain box was removed.

2 Likes

Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by Coolgent(m): 7:05pm On Apr 23, 2023
onlinediva:
A secondary schoolmate called for the inspection of a Mercedes-Benz he intends to buy for his dad. We physically inspected the car and as well test-drove it; it passed the checks.

The customs paper attached to it is also genuine, and it corresponds with the VIN on the driver's door post and windscreen, but on scanning the car with a car scanner, the VIN came out different.

It must be a stolen car or one without a customs duty, but the seller wants to sell it as the one with a customs duty.

Have you ever experienced such a scenario?

If not that scanner was taken along and was used on the car, the car would have been paid for. That shows that it is essential one uses a scanner on any car one intends to buy in other to avoid a vehicle that its vin has been tampered with for whatever reason.

The car doesn't have custom duty...
What they normally do is to get a vin of a same model with original duty and print and paste it to the cotonou imported car.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by lilachiever(m): 7:31pm On Apr 23, 2023
onlinediva:
A secondary schoolmate called for the inspection of a Mercedes-Benz he intends to buy for his dad. We physically inspected the car and as well test-drove it; it passed the checks.

The customs paper attached to it is also genuine, and it corresponds with the VIN on the driver's door post and windscreen, but on scanning the car with a car scanner, the VIN came out different.

It must be a stolen car or one without a customs duty, but the seller wants to sell it as the one with a customs duty.

Have you ever experienced such a scenario?

If not that scanner was taken along and was used on the car, the car would have been paid for. That shows that it is essential one uses a scanner on any car one intends to buy in other to avoid a vehicle that its vin has been tampered with for whatever reason.

Was the car at Ikotun?

Cos I saw a fb post for a used but not registered Benz..
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 8:08pm On Apr 23, 2023
Coolgent:

The car doesn't have custom duty...
What they normally do is to get a vin of a same model with original duty and print and paste it to the cotonou imported car.

From my experience, they will only forge customs duty i.e print machined out customs duty to match with the VIN of the car and not tamper with the VIN on the car.

Why the stress of changing VIN on the door post and windscreen for such old model Mercedes Benz if not that there is big thing to it?
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 8:08pm On Apr 23, 2023
lilachiever:

Was the car at Ikotun?

Cos I saw a fb post for a used but not registered Benz..

The car is not in Lagos.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by HussenAdul: 8:11pm On Apr 23, 2023
onlinediva:
Always run VIN check with a good scanner on the car you intend to buy.
Educate me. How is it done?
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 8:47pm On Apr 23, 2023
HussenAdul:

Educate me. How is it done?

Once you connect a good car scanner to the car, it will detect the factory VIN or chassis number of the car.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by wiseone28: 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2023
Finger crossed
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by candygist: 9:02pm On Apr 23, 2023
depure:

Smart people also do it for stolen car thats why is good investigate well before you buy a car
Two reasons why dealer tamper with vin is sometimes they want to sell Nigeria used car as tokumbo, or a heavy accidented car.
Seen two vin in a car don't necessarily mean its stolen car....

It's still a red flag sir.

1 Like

Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by festuks(m): 9:50pm On Apr 23, 2023
*SCENERIO 1 .
If the ECU ( brainbox ) has been changed, you will get the vin of the donor ECU when it is scanned and it will differ from that on the chasis .
* SCENERIO 2
if the vehicle had an accident and need part that carries the embossed Vin it may alter.

But in your case from your storyline it is most likely that the ECU was changed. No cause for worries If you verify the vin plate on pillars and chasis to be legit.

U can also verify and obtain printout of custom duty
to compare .

2 Likes

Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 9:56pm On Apr 23, 2023
festuks:
*SCENERIO 1 .
If the ECU ( brainbox ) has been changed, you will get the vin of the donor ECU when it is scanned and it will differ from that on the chasis .
* SCENERIO 2
if the vehicle had an accident and need part that carries the embossed Vin it may alter.

But in your case from your storyline it is most likely that the ECU was changed. No cause for worries If you verify the vin plate on pillars and chasis to be legit.

U can also verify and obtain printout of custom duty
to compare .

ECU change doesn't change VIN.
This said car is not accidented.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by lilachiever(m): 10:00pm On Apr 23, 2023
onlinediva:

The car is not in Lagos.

Ok
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by Mercury12(m): 10:29pm On Apr 23, 2023
RomanGreen:

lol wahala everywhere😂
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by occfx: 10:48pm On Apr 23, 2023
onlinediva:

That won't make the VIN change. That will only make its engine number change.

I will like to know how scanner works, I believe it's electronics and it's only engine and brain box has the electronic information of a car. Therefore, if engine is changed, scanner will miss it.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by HussenAdul: 10:50pm On Apr 23, 2023
onlinediva:

Once you connect a good car scanner to the car, it will detect the factory VIN or chassis number of the car.
Thank u. I thought it is what I can do with phone
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by onlinediva: 11:00pm On Apr 23, 2023
HussenAdul:

Thank u. I thought it is what I can do with phone

You are welcome.
Re: We nearly bought a "STOLEN" Mercedes Benz but this saved us by xtivin(m): 2:39am On Apr 24, 2023
onlinediva:

It will make more sense if you explain or prove otherwise in a case a car carries VIN in different places different from its factory VIN. Guess you haven't heard of VIN tampering which is mostly done when a car is stolen.

Even the seller couldn't say anything nor rant because he knew the big problem he could eventually get into.
What the bro was saying is that anything can happen along the line not necessarily theft which I am fully in support of, using theft is a hasty decision without investigation.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Super Clean Toks FX 45 04 Fully Loaded 3.4m 08061311315 08028612026 / I Am A Clearing And Forwarding Agent And A Car Dealer (apapa Tin Can) / Toyota Matrix 2005 Tokunbo #I.75M 08096577304

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.