Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,693 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? (14621 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad / Where Are Nigerians In Australia . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 12:08am On Sep 23, 2011
U.S, Canada, U.K, Australia and any part of the world is not better than Nigeria.

I read the post: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-706047.0.html  and i was very disappointed even when several warning bell were rang to people ears. I will not be surprise if you don't listen, but for those who will listen, let us discuss on how we could create job, wealth and home for ourselves in our own country.

Over the years i have watched with kine interest why anyone will want to travel to a foreign land for greener pasture.
I have consider lots of presumable comfort that people talk about from Steady electricity, job, private transportation, education and anything you can imagine.
Yet i am more than convince that Nigeria is still a place to recon with. It is a Home for millions of people, a place of pride where our forefathers find comfort. It is a country with the largest blacks on earth, a perfect geographical area with  mother nature and God given endowment. The home of some of the human brilliants species in the world. From a brighter weather, to a natural and beautiful landscape.

Yet someone will come and tell you that Nigeria is not the place,  No earthquake history, No Hurricane, No volcano, No Heat stroke, No Cold winter but beautiful weather the God made it all. 

Unlike other suppose greener pasture full of customize diseases(AIDS)that will later be sent to Africa and eventual plague some Nigerians.
Hurricane everywhere, Volcano in the river,  Heat stroke on the street, Code in your room, Hurricane in your state or province. Yet Nigerians are desperate to go over there.

Few years ago, a friend during a discussion said poverty is a disease though i laughed it over, but every-time i am face with Nigerians and the situation i flash back into that simple word: poverty is a disease. Will it be so for Nigerians and young Nigerians especially.

I studied youths at other countries who are not wise but smart and i measure their success all i could find out was that the only reason someone will take N5 million to come to this places (for greener pasture) they call obodo oyinbo is because he is a f00l. How on earth could you spend even N500,000 ($3,000)to travel to a foreign land in search of greener pasture when most of the people you are coming to meet do not have N150,000($1000) in their account.

You bring the little you have to develop a country that is supposedly developed and leave your home underdeveloped. In 2007 i met a man who was a manager in one of the growing banks and as he said he was the head of the eastern part of his company in Nigeria. When i eventually move close to him i notice that he was a Nigeria and a security guard, he should be in his 50s, he had just gotten his green card and has just find a job after several searches. When i ask what was the problem, he said he was deceived by his wife to come to U.S because she felt he was going to leave her. So he resign and took all his benefits, salary and money from sold properties to U.S. As of the time i met him, maybe around a year later,  all his swollen dollar account was flat than a tablet PC. In a simple word he regretted to have venture into U.S for greener pasture and he was desperately looking for way to return, but was flat broke.

Four years later, i met another who was as he said was a manger of one of the major transport companies in Nigeria, he applied for Canadian Resident and he got it. He sold everything he had to work as a security officer in Canada. Security Guard is the simplest easy job anyone with no experience can get into. The requirement is minimal all you need is know how to read, write and do some training and  you are good to go. Today, he regrets his action.

Also in 2007 during my adventure in U.K i went to meet several of my friends who have boasted that they were studying, or working at a good place. What i saw was similar to what i have seen in Nigeria,  A group of young Nigerians in a room playing cards, drinking, watching Chelsea v Man  United at a bear parlor especially in East London where its encroached with  Nigerians, its like Lagos Island or a typical local market in Nigeria where you can hear anyone calling mama risika or baba bomboy. 

What they could boast of was that they are not in Nigeria at least no one see them suffering and they could act on the phone as if all is well. While many are stranded as a result of paper, those who have paper are stranded too. They can not afford to come to Nigeria. Enough of story said,

Don't get me wrong other made it and many did not,  Nigeria is a place where many can make it and few don't because its your home. Stop migrating, stop the guy next door to you, ask him to invest his money in Nigeria, to create job for himself and other people in his situation. One thing that is sure is that you will always be first class citizen in Nigeria, but you could be last class citizen every other place, even if you are successful.

The solution is what i am concern with,  Can we have young group of people who are Patriotic about Nigeria?

Can we have young group of 10 with minimum N500,000* 10=5,000,000 who can go far from Lagos to secure acres of land and invest in agriculture and there they become Farm investors?

Can we have group of talented young men who can invest in technology like its being done in U.S, China and many other country that pride themselves with their country?

Can we have young men who can come together and invest in property,  10-20 young men with 500,000* 20=10,000,00 [10 million],They buy a property or build it and make profit from renting it out?

Can we show other African youths the way?

I will appreciate healthy contribution:

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Nobody: 1:10am On Sep 23, 2011
since YOU also went to europe to later discover that it wasnt meant for you, let them do the same and learn first hand.

expecting everyone to stay back in 9ja, when some clearly went away, got a BETTER life abroad and dont want to go back home, IS WRONG!!!

let each and everyone decide whats good for them AND LET THEM DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES OF THEIR ACTIONS!!!

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 6:08am On Sep 23, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

since YOU also went to europe to later discover that it wasnt meant for you, let them do the same and learn first hand.

expecting everyone to stay back in 9ja, when some clearly went away, got a BETTER life abroad and dont want to go back home, IS WRONG!!!

let each and everyone decide whats good for them AND LET THEM DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES OF THEIR ACTIONS!!!

@MRbrownJAY,

When does leadership comes with this your idea of let them deal with the consequences of their action. The only way anybody can quickly progress is by having a mentor or role model. My experience as well as others should guide others in not falling into the same predicament. If you could clearly search many of those who have been in these countries for over 10 years especially the a little older generation, they will tell you how much they are hungry in returning back home, but they are broke and have no clue on how to return.

"let each and everyone decide whats good for them AND LET THEM DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES OF THEIR ACTIONS!!!"
Is like saying let every one experience electrocution because even when some said its not good for others or better still let all the chicks stray away until they can not return to their mother. Irrespective of the situation "expecting everyone to stay back in 9ja, when some clearly went away, got a BETTER life abroad and don't want to go back home, IS WRONG!!!" we need to ask how many other nations are migrating like Nigerians especially the youth. Do you think Nigeria Youths are the most suffering youths in the world? Check some eastern Europe nations. Do you know the number of Nigerian expiring in U.K, U.S and other countries prisons? Comparing to the fraction that succeed to those expiring even outside prisons in these countries you will realized that there is need to change our orientation.

The doctrine of believing that once you leave the shore of Nigeria to all these countries you will automatically become rich should stop. We should channel that energy into nation rebuilding and job creation ourselves by becoming self reliance.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by MrGlobe(m): 7:26am On Sep 23, 2011
@poster you have no case.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by justwise(m): 7:29am On Sep 23, 2011
Podonasmit:

U.S, Canada, U.K, Australia and any part of the world is not better than Nigeria. I read the post: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-706047.0.html  and i was very disappointed even when several warning bell were rang to people ears. I will not be surprise if you don't listen, but for those who will listen, let us discuss on how we could create job, wealth and home for ourselves in our own country. Over the years i have watched with kine interest why anyone will want to travel to a foreign land for greener pasture.I have consider lots of presumable comfort that people talk about from Steady electricity, job, private transportation, education and anything you can imagine.Yet i am more than convince that Nigeria is still a place to recon with. It is a Home for millions of people, a place of pride where our forefathers find comfort. It is a country with the largest blacks on earth, a perfect geographical area with  mother nature and God given endowment. The home of some of the human brilliants species in the world. From a brighter weather, to a natural and beautiful landscape. Yet someone will come and tell you that Nigeria is not the place,  No earthquake history, No Hurricane, No volcano, No Heat stroke, No Cold winter but beautiful weather the God made it all.  Unlike other suppose greener pasture full of customize diseases(AIDS)that will later be sent to Africa and eventual plague some Nigerians. Hurricane everywhere, Volcano in the river,  Heat stroke on the street, Code in your room, Hurricane in your state or province. Yet Nigerians are desperate to go over there.Few years ago, a friend during a discussion said poverty is a disease though i laughed it over, but every-time i am face with Nigerians and the situation i flash back into that simple word: poverty is a disease. Will it be so for Nigerians and young Nigerians especially. I studied youths at other countries who are not wise but smart and i measure their success all i could find out was that the only reason someone will take N5 million to come to this places (for greener pasture) they call obodo oyinbo is because he is a f00l. How on earth could you spend even N500,000 ($3,000)to travel to a foreign land in search of greener pasture when most of the people you are coming to meet do not have N150,000($1000) in their account. You bring the little you have to develop a country that is supposedly developed and leave your home underdeveloped. In 2007 i met a man who was a manager in one of the growing banks and as he said he was the head of the eastern part of his company in Nigeria. When i eventually move close to him i notice that he was a Nigeria and a security guard, he should be in his 50s, he had just gotten his green card and has just find a job after several searches. When i ask what was the problem, he said he was deceived by his wife to come to U.S because she felt he was going to leave her. So he resign and took all his benefits, salary and money from sold properties to U.S. As of the time i met him, maybe around a year later,  all his swollen dollar account was flat than a tablet PC. In a simple word he regretted to have venture into U.S for greener pasture and he was desperately looking for way to return, but was flat broke. Four years later, i met another who was as he said was a manger of one of the major transport companies in Nigeria, he applied for Canadian Resident and he got it. He sold everything he had to work as a security officer in Canada. Security Guard is the simplest easy job anyone with no experience can get into. The requirement is minimal all you need is know how to read, write and do some training and  you are good to go. Today, he regrets his action.  Also in 2007 during my adventure in U.K i went to meet several of my friends who have boasted that they were studying, or working at a good place. What i saw was similar to what i have seen in Nigeria,  A group of young Nigerians in a room playing cards, drinking, watching Chelsea v Man  United at a bear parlor especially in East London where its encroached with  Nigerians, its like Lagos Island or a typical local market in Nigeria where you can hear anyone calling mama risika or baba bomboy.  What they could boast of was that they are not in Nigeria at least no one see them suffering and they could act on the phone as if all is well. While many are stranded as a result of paper, those who have paper are stranded too. They can not afford to come to Nigeria. Enough of story said, Don't get me wrong other made it and many did not,  Nigeria is a place where many can make it and few don't because its your home. Stop migrating, stop the guy next door to you, ask him to invest his money in Nigeria, to create job for himself and other people in his situation. One thing that is sure is that you will always be first class citizen in Nigeria, but you could be last class citizen every other place, even if you are successful.The solution is what i am concern with,  Can we have young group of people who are Patriotic about Nigeria?Can we have young group of 10 with minimum N500,000* 10=5,000,000 who can go far from Lagos to secure acres of land and invest in agriculture and there they become Farm investors?Can we have group of talented young men who can invest in technology like its being done in U.S, China and many other country that pride themselves with their country?Can we have young men who can come together and invest in property,  10-20 young men with 500,000* 20=10,000,00 [10 million],They buy a property or build it and make profit from renting it out?Can we show other African youths the way I will appreciate healthy contribution:
You have a good topic but you killed the whole argument by making some unfounded comments. There is no evidence that diseases in Africa were brought back by Africans visiting from developed countries, there are natural and man-made disasters everywhere in the world including Nigeria, not too long ago some part of Nigeria were flooded and alot of lives were lost, suicide bombing etc.
Your argument is one sided,  there are pros and cons of immigrating to other countries, you can not look at it from the negative perspective alone.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 7:37am On Sep 23, 2011
Mr. Globe:

@poster you have no case.

@ Mr. Globe,

You could assume and wish anything, but saying i have no case is like you have failed to understand the background of the topic value

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 7:44am On Sep 23, 2011
justwise:

You have a good topic but you killed the whole argument by making some unfounded comments. There is no evidence that diseases in Africa were brought back by Africans visiting from developed countries, there are natural and man-made disasters everywhere in the world including Nigeria, not too long ago some part of Nigeria were flooded and alot of lives were lost, suicide bombing etc.
Your argument is one sided,  there are pros and cons of immigrating to other countries, you can not look at it from the negative perspective alone.

@justwise,

Every argument if critically examined is one-sided: its used to either persuade for or against. While you can argue against my argument or for my argument. The fact still remain the same that reasonable Nigerians outside Nigerians suffer helplessly. Your interpretation of my statement: You have a good topic but you killed the whole argument by making some unfounded comments. There is no evidence that diseases in Africa were brought back by Africans visiting from developed countries, does not reflect the meaning. Aids could be brought in any form.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by justwise(m): 7:59am On Sep 23, 2011
Podonasmit:

@justwise,

Every argument if critically examined is one-sided: its used to either persuade for or against. While you can argue against my argument or for my argument. The fact still remain the same that reasonable Nigerians outside Nigerians suffer helplessly.  Your interpretation of my statement: You have a good topic but you killed the whole argument by making some unfounded comments. There is no evidence that diseases in Africa were brought back by Africans visiting from developed countries, does not reflect the meaning. Aids could be brought in any form.

Nigeria is 'home' to everyone of us by default , that is bound to change, 'home' becomes where you felt at 'home', and that could be USA, UK, or Nigeria. Staying in Nigeria or leaving Nigeria is by choice and you don't dictate that to anybody by using  AIDs and other natural disasters as a reason to stay back in Nigeria because Nigeria is not exempted from those disasters.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by imperiouxx(m): 8:29am On Sep 23, 2011
@poster,

All you've written up there is arrant nonsense. *crazy* *crazy*

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 8:35am On Sep 23, 2011
justwise:

Nigeria is 'home' to everyone of us by default , that is bound to change, 'home' becomes where you felt at 'home', and that could be USA, UK, or Nigeria. Staying in Nigeria or leaving Nigeria is by choice and you don't detect that to anybody by using AIDs and other natural disasters as a reason to stay back in Nigeria because Nigeria is not exempted from those disasters.

@ justwise,

Yes you are right, home is anywhere anyone could call a home, it does not matter the location of the continent. However, while i do not intent to dictate, the content focus more on there is no guarantee of greener pasture anywhere outside Nigeria. The concentration here is that Nigeria can yield similar result of greener pasture if similar energy channel towards traveling abroad is implored towards finding solution.

Nigeria can survive anywhere as the saying always go, and that means including Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 8:38am On Sep 23, 2011
imperiouxx:

@poster,

@ imperiouxx,

Its a free world where words could be used to express anything in any form. However, if you are one of the people recently defrauded your use of words will be carefully selected,  Go and tell those that were recently duped that they made the right choice.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 8:39am On Sep 23, 2011
imperiouxx:

@poster,

@ imperiouxx,

Its a free world where words could be used to express anything in any form. However, if you are one of the people recently defrauded your use of words will be carefully selected, Go and tell those that were recently duped that they made the right choice.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by imperiouxx(m): 8:52am On Sep 23, 2011
Those duped on canada runs are looking for shortcut to success. Theirs is not a yardstick. What do you know about biostatistics and epidemology? Do you ever know that tropic region is the home of TB, malaria, sickle cell, meningitis, poliomyelitis and many more? What about herpes, hepatitis and many other immune supressant diseases common to Africa. Just shurr up!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 9:06am On Sep 23, 2011
imperiouxx:

Those duped on canada runs are looking for shortcut to success. Theirs is not a yardstick. What do you know about biostatistics and epidemology? Do you ever know that tropic region is the home of TB, malaria, sickle cell, meningitis, poliomyelitis and many more? What about herpes, hepatitis and many other immune supressant diseases common to Africa. Just shurr up!

@ imperiouxx,

You talk as if people can not live without the disease you just enumerated. Aparently you are a joker if you think you would rather prefer to be swallowed alive by earthquake than to be inflicted with any of the disease that there are possible cure for. Go and ask people in Japan, let them tell you about the hurricane and earthquake or go to Louisianan let them tell you about their hurricane Katrina and let us compare note,  grow out of your shell,  many of these disease can be prevented and protected against.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Kakatazz(f): 9:26am On Sep 23, 2011
Hey guyz,agreed that the poster did not drive home his point properly but we all get the import of his music.Some people make it while some don't.Abroad is not a haven like most people think.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by imperiouxx(m): 10:04am On Sep 23, 2011
I said it you know nothing about epidemology you mentioned. To you AIDS is the only immune surpressor. I pray you don't come across any immune surpressant (incurable disease + immune killer). They are as worse as being in hell. They paralyse the economy growth of any country. Why do you think people die of curable cholera in Nigeria? Poverty! Get the numbers of average Nigerians that have access to NHIS. Unless you are oblivion of what is going on news you will know why those 200 in Ibadan died of mere cholera. Do you know what GEJ said about non-communicable diseases in Nigeria to the UN assembly meeting?

Still you only restrict your statistic of disaster to Japan and few parts of US. Are those the only developed parts of the world that people migrate to? What of other parts that are not disaster prone even in US let alone europe and australia?

Disease joined with poverty is worst than those disasters bros.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by manchiled: 10:20am On Sep 23, 2011
@ d poster,u r probably comfortable thats y u r thinking like thausands of gratuate unemploid,r still on d street like computer village n were ever they can hangaround to find change,some adult of 30to40 still live wit there parents no good government from president to house of rep.to local gov.corruption every were d reach cheat d pore,am a creative d only reason i want to go out of naija is energy,u as people to buil d farm etc.i bet u if i give u 5m now to starte a buiss.u wount know wat to

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by imperiouxx(m): 11:27am On Sep 23, 2011
@poster check this out

www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=743230.msg8994228#msg8994228

Similar and logical.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Sep 23, 2011
at Poster Plz Ask Rick Ross angry
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 23, 2011
Boko-Haram is the reason. What a silly topic cool

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 23, 2011
^^lol
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by collinsfbi(m): 2:03pm On Sep 23, 2011
@poster,

Thank you for bring this but on a most sincere note i don't like to discourage reasonable Nigerian with reasonable intention for travelling abroad. Many travel for diverse purpose known to them which can include the following:

Education
Many young Nigerians today prefer to travel abroad to study and i will be sincere with you that you can't compare the standard or education abroad with the present crawling system of Nigerian education battered with incessant strike action, presently, NUC is planning for another strike action and i believe you know what that means for a student with four years degree course to spend 6 to 7 years in school off and on not to talk about medical or law students with 5 to 7 years degree who might probably spend up to 10years in school all in the name of getting certificate. Even today many pple including politicians prefer to send their children abroad to study while many parents too travel abroad to acquire more professional certification.

Security Reason
Nigeria these days is not safe for anybody no matter who you are despite the fact that there are no earthquake history, no hurricane, no volcano, no Heat stroke, no Cold winter as you have mentioned earlier but the absence of all these does not make Nigeria a safe place to live. Don't forget that The Eastern part is full of kidnappers, rampant bombing in the North, robbery and other deadly related crime in the south-west. Few weeks ago over hundred lost their lives in Ibadan flood and that of Lagos, Many Nigerians and foreigners who find solace in places like Abuja, Jos, Bauchi and other Northern parts are now evacuating due to the rampant bomber in most of these places. The only place that is currently not experience thing like this is Lagos and only pple with lion heart can live and survive in Lagos. So with this, would you advice anybody with good education background, mental skills and financial capabilities to wait and die in Nigeria when he can make it out side there because our leaders are not helping situation and things are getting worst every day. On the other hands many stories of bombing and kidnapping have prevented many influential Nigerians and foreign investing from coming to Nigeria to invest.

Unemployment
This is another reason why many Nigerian will prefer to travel abroad. Sincerely i must emphasize on this, though large numbers of Nigerian youths are unemployed and this is heartbroken because Nigerian Govt is not helping the matter. All we here every day is creation of ministries to help unemployment but later you find out that only ministers, governors, senators families and relatives are beneficiaries with top position and heavy salary. At the same time, I don't think many Nigerians with no professional skills should consider migrating because of this, knowing fully well that it's somehow hard to get a good job abroad. To me only fools and greedy Nigerians with good job here will ever think of migrating to another man's land in search of greener pasture. Sometime, laziness, show off, desire to get rich quick are the major problems of Nigerian youths of today. I wonder how a man in his tender age will waste 500k and above all in the name of "I want to travel out" on visas when someone with good brain full of good thought will make it with that 500k doing business by investing in corporate and personally business that will bring in money, i mean real money every month.

Lack of social amenities
This is another area why many people will prefer to travel abroad. Nigeria is a replica of hell when it comes to this area. No good and access road network, electricity is still in the grave despite privatisation during Obasanjo's regime, no hygienic water, all we have around is bole-wholes, sachet water commonly known as pure water. Everyday i close from my work and ready to go home, i am always troubled because of what? 3 to 5 hours traffic to drive home. At home, oh boy! see noise coming from generators including my own and the ones from neighbours even at my office it's a tug of war for heavy generators and carbon coming from these generating machines na die. Notwithstanding, i don't think a reasonable Nigerian at least with job should consider migrating because despite the non-availabilities of these social amenities, someone with good job in naija will still make it big time because there is nothing like bill here and that is why we have pple having many houses, cars, companies etc Pple with good job in naija only travel to enjoy and have fun.

Ignorance and lack of standard medical care is another area where Nigerian Govt needs to work on. For instance nobody can go out to buy drug anyhow in developed countries but here you see people using drug for headache to treat malaria, cholera, fever etc Stores everywhere with fake and expired drugs. For your information, now we have aboki doctors who hawk drugs in the streets while some display and sell along the street and the govt is not doing anything about it.

As for me, i don't discourage pple with good intention to travel abroad, i will only encourage you to get right documents for your visas through right channels and have a proper plan for your journey, don't over stay and don't engage in crime. If you don't have any good intention, pls stay back in naija and enjoy yourself.

Gbammmmmmmmm over and out

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by imperiouxx(m): 2:37pm On Sep 23, 2011
Guys abeg help me tell poster all he needs to know about the reasons ooo. Thanks collins. Study abroad alone worth going through pains for. Not all the 50 states in US experience disaster, Canada, UK, Germany, Spain, France, Australia, Italy etc don't experience disaster. But at home  there is cholera, malaria, insecurity and poverty epidemics killing thousands of Nigerians as we speak ooo.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 3:14pm On Sep 23, 2011
imperiouxx:

I said it you know nothing about epidemology you mentioned. To you AIDS is the only immune surpressor. I pray you don't come across any immune surpressant (incurable disease + immune killer). They are as worse as being in hell. They paralyse the economy growth of any country. Why do you think people die of curable cholera in Nigeria? Poverty! Get the numbers of average Nigerians that have access to NHIS. Unless you are oblivion of what is going on news you will know why those 200 in Ibadan died of mere cholera. Do you know what GEJ said about non-communicable diseases in Nigeria to the UN assembly meeting?

Still you only restrict your statistic of disaster to Japan and few parts of US. Are those the only developed parts of the world that people migrate to? What of other parts that are not disaster prone even in US let alone europe and australia?

Disease joined with poverty is worst than those disasters bros.

@imperiouxx,

I did not preach perfect society anywhere, but i know that most Nigerians in Nigeria are better off being abroad. Forget diseases, what are you talking about, i don't know where you have been to, but i am sure there are many things you don't know about diseases. There are many diseases in these parts of the world that you have never heard of and it will take tongue twisting to pronounce them. You have failed to drive home my assertion and only succeed in gearing energy into one among many other reasons why many Nigerians should stay home.

You talk about 200 people, an average natural disasters in these countries take several lives that what happened in Ibadan. In the history of Ibadan when was the last time people 200 people die as a result of flood or other natural disaster?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 3:23pm On Sep 23, 2011
manchiled:

@ d poster,u r probably comfortable thats y u r thinking like thausands of gratuate unemploid,r still on d street like computer village n were ever they can hangaround to find change,some adult of 30to40 still live wit there parents no good government from president to house of rep.to local gov.corruption every were d reach cheat d pore,am a creative d only reason i want to go out of naija is energy,u as people to buil d farm etc.i bet u if i give u 5m now to starte a buiss.u wount know wat to

@ manchiled,

We are not talking about comfort here. Those nations you are traveling to did they tell you their comfort today came as a result of migration?
Thousand graduate unemployed is like saying a farmer with a hoe, virgin land and crops to plant still asking what he will do with it. What happen with the education or degree derived from the university,  Is it not meant to test your endurance, teach you how to survive and make you fit to withstand the challenges of life?   Graduate should go farming,  There are many graduates here who are framers, laborers,  bricklayers, mechanics, journey man, apprentice, $10 sales rep and many without jobs also,  did you see the event that unfold in U.K? 

Smart thinking, endurance, vision and focus can yield you similar result like our counter part anywhere in the world
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 3:26pm On Sep 23, 2011
imperiouxx:

@poster check this out

www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=743230.msg8994228#msg8994228

Similar and logical.

@ imperiouxx,

If anything has to be logical, you will be the last person to notice, sensing from the way you reason
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 3:33pm On Sep 23, 2011
jennykadry:

Boko-Haram is the reason. What a silly topic cool

@jennykadry,

Boko-Haram as if there are not serial killer where you are traveling to, i guess you have to read what happened in Oslo Norway recently, or shootings anywhere, anytime and anyplace by those who are fed up with life and ready to take innocent people with them. Non of these countries is immune with man from no where that kills anybody and himself.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 4:09pm On Sep 23, 2011
collinsfbi:

@poster,

Thank you for bring this but on a most sincere note i don't like to discourage reasonable Nigerian with reasonable intention for travelling abroad. Many travel for diverse purpose known to them which can include the following:

Education
Many young Nigerians today prefer to travel abroad to study and i will be sincere with you that you can't compare the standard or education abroad with the present crawling system of Nigerian education battered with incessant strike action, presently, NUC is planning for another strike action and i believe you know what that means for a student with four years degree course to spend 6 to 7 years in school off and on not to talk about medical or law students with 5 to 7 years degree who might probably spend up to 10years in school all in the name of getting certificate. Even today many pple including politicians prefer to send their children abroad to study while many parents too travel abroad to acquire more professional certification.

Security Reason
Nigeria these days is not safe for anybody no matter who you are despite the fact that there are no earthquake history, no hurricane, no volcano, no Heat stroke, no Cold winter as you have mentioned earlier but the absence of all these does not make Nigeria a safe place to live. Don't forget that The Eastern part is full of kidnappers, rampant bombing in the North, robbery and other deadly related crime in the south-west. Few weeks ago over hundred lost their lives in Ibadan flood and that of Lagos, Many Nigerians and foreigners who find solace in places like Abuja, Jos, Bauchi and other Northern parts are now evacuating due to the rampant bomber in most of these places. The only place that is currently not experience thing like this is Lagos and only pple with lion heart can live and survive in Lagos. So with this, would you advice anybody with good education background, mental skills and financial capabilities to wait and die in Nigeria when he can make it out side there because our leaders are not helping situation and things are getting worst every day. On the other hands many stories of bombing and kidnapping have prevented many influential Nigerians and foreign investing from coming to Nigeria to invest.

Unemployment
This is another reason why many Nigerian will prefer to travel abroad. Sincerely i must emphasize on this, though large numbers of Nigerian youths are unemployed and this is heartbroken because Nigerian Govt is not helping the matter. All we here every day is creation of ministries to help unemployment but later you find out that only ministers, governors, senators families and relatives are beneficiaries with top position and heavy salary. At the same time, I don't think many Nigerians with no professional skills should consider migrating because of this, knowing fully well that it's somehow hard to get a good job abroad. To me only fools and greedy Nigerians with good job here will ever think of migrating to another man's land in search of greener pasture. Sometime, laziness, show off, desire to get rich quick are the major problems of Nigerian youths of today. I wonder how a man in his tender age will waste 500k and above all in the name of "I want to travel out" on visas when someone with good brain full of good thought will make it with that 500k doing business by investing in corporate and personally business that will bring in money, i mean real money every month.

Lack of social amenities
This is another area why many people will prefer to travel abroad. Nigeria is a replica of hell when it comes to this area. No good and access road network, electricity is still in the grave despite privatisation during Obasanjo's regime, no hygienic water, all we have around is bole-wholes, sachet water commonly known as pure water. Everyday i close from my work and ready to go home, i am always troubled because of what? 3 to 5 hours traffic to drive home. At home, oh boy! see noise coming from generators including my own and the ones from neighbours even at my office it's a tug of war for heavy generators and carbon coming from these generating machines na die. Notwithstanding, i don't think a reasonable Nigerian at least with job should consider migrating because despite the non-availabilities of these social amenities, someone with good job in naija will still make it big time because there is nothing like bill here and that is why we have pple having many houses, cars, companies etc Pple with good job in naija only travel to enjoy and have fun.

Ignorance and lack of standard medical care is another area where Nigerian Govt needs to work on. For instance nobody can go out to buy drug anyhow in developed countries but here you see people using drug for headache to treat malaria, cholera, fever etc Stores everywhere with fake and expired drugs. For your information, now we have aboki doctors who hawk drugs in the streets while some display and sell along the street and the govt is not doing anything about it.

As for me, i don't discourage pple with good intention to travel abroad, i will only encourage you to get right documents for your visas through right channels and have a proper plan for your journey, don't over stay and don't engage in crime. If you don't have any good intention, pls stay back in naija and enjoy yourself.

Gbammmmmmmmm over and out

@ collinsfbi,

I am very much with you and i understand those reasons. While i respect those with such great ambitions i think there are other ways to look at these concerns too.

Education
Many young Nigerians today prefer to travel abroad to study  If education is all that it is without sense of entrepreneurship, people like Bill Gate, Steave Jobs among others would have gotten anything above Phd(but they don't have bachelor degree). Look at many of those that have gone to study abroad and see what we get out of them, while that may not apply to all, majority of them are bad project. Look at Dimeji Bankole former speaker of the house of representative-with all his foreign education or living abroad see what we get out of him.  Then look at Fashola Governor of Lagos state and compare him with Tinubu who profess to have study abroad,  check their outcomes,  while this can not be necessarily used as a yard stick, i think we should understand that,  all this going abroad and dashing out our remaining money to these white men is another form of imperialism.

Security Reason
Nigeria these days is not safe for anybody no matter who you are despite the fact that there are no earthquake history From the history of human existent, human beings have always live in dangerous environment, either from wild life(lion on the land, shark in the sea), slave masters in Africa, Europe and U.S, area boys and omonile wahala in Nigeria, Drug cartel and gangs in U.S and Europe, Gun shooting or snipers shooting  in Maryland, U.S and Bomb everywhere what else, either via train stations or by plane,  The only security you have can never be provided to you by man or government but God,  No where is secure   

Unemployment
This is another reason why many Nigerian will prefer to travel abroad. The university taught us about unionism, organization, club and association,  If young devoted, focus, energetic, dedicated and honest oriented young men stand up using the skill acquired at various universities both educational and world universities,  employment can be created.  Google is two men company, Microsoft was two men company until one parted, Yahoo is too man company and many more like that,  What happen to Nigeria youths? They can do the same, in association and commitment,  we can create job without the Government, we can dictate to the government.  Some of the people that made it today, did not wait to be employed by the government, although they later work in hand  with government when everything start flourishing. look at Dangote and Dantata with family money they start up,  two heads are better than one.

Lack of social amenities
This is another area why many people will prefer to travel abroad. With advance technology Former Senator from Massachusetts dies of brain cancer, in Canada, the NDP leader Layton die of cancers too,  Cancer kills anywhere and people die everyday anywhere,  However, if we have dedicated young voice,  we can have many of these latest medical machines donated to Nigeria for free.  There are doctors all around the world willing to render humanitarian service,  First we must work as a group of patriotic Nigerians, we must dedicate, focus and live with passion towards building our nations then we can have all this luxuries of health care, employment, security and later enjoy traveling  to any part of the world with no visa and without having to line up for 12 hours or wait 3 months before visa is issued. We can also create other amenities, 

The American dream can be actualize in Nigeria. Nigeria is not the worst in the list,  Everyday other youths from other countries(Niger, Benin Rep among others) cross over to our country in search of Nigeria Dream,  Our youths are dedicated, they are hardworking and they are devoted if they see guardians and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.  A good example is the yahoo yahoo and yahoo plus things,  You will see dedicated Nigerians sleeplessly active over the night and have a schedule to work from 10pm-6am even doing over time as if he is working shift and trying to magariszed very intelligent, smart , educated and even ivy scholarly professional in the other part of the world. Many succeed but end up living the life they should be living when they are 60s, retired and must have invested.

If such energy is focus to creating legitimate jobs, you know how many young uneducated and educated Nigerians would have jobs now? A lot. With an active young brains the world, Nigeria and African can flourish with necessary goodies need for human survival

Oneness, one voice and one vision as Nigeria youths can open doors of opportunity for us.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Kakatazz(f): 5:03pm On Sep 23, 2011
u guys should give the poster a break! angry
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 23, 2011
@poster
you make no DAMN SENSE!!!! you have been abroad and it was a FAILURE for you, while we know that many succeed and are very happy with the life they are living now (while other aren't) so let each and everyone decide what is best for their lives rather than trying to force them to follow YOUR BELIEFS.

i know many are better off in 9ja than abroad but, until someone scrubs a few toilets, flips a few burgers or stay on their feet for 14hrs straight being security guards, THEY WILL NEVER KNOW, and therefore, their desire to go abroad will NEVER die down.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Ifecotag: 9:37pm On Sep 23, 2011
@Justwise

Your view of home is shortsighted. Go and ask the Jews and African Americans amongst other groups while they have never felt at home in their 'adopted homeland' for centuries. Those who adhere to this kind of thinking are living under false illusion. When you are presented with a reality check, then you will know where you truly belong.

Until we can start thinking ways to better our homeland against all odds, we will never earn respect from our so called 'adopted homeland' natives or others. Our hosts knows it , that is why immigrant and minorities are the first to get laid off when recession occur.

@Poster

You raised some important points. However, much in depth analysis on the issues you raised is needed than you will ever get on nairaland. Mediocrity rules on this forum.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by justwise(m): 9:50pm On Sep 23, 2011
Ifecotag:

@Justwise
Your view of home is shortsighted. Go and ask the Jews and African Americans amongst other groups while they have never felt at home in their 'adopted homeland' for centuries. Those who adhere to this kind of thinking are living under false illusion. When you are presented with a reality check, then you will know where you truly belong.
Until we can start thinking ways to better our homeland against all odds, we will never earn respect from our so called 'adopted homeland' natives or others. Our hosts knows it , that is why immigrant and minorities are the first to get laid off when recession occur.@Poster
You raised some important points. However, much in depth analysis on the issues you raised is needed than you will ever get on nairaland. Mediocrity rules on this forum.
Why do people like you always assumed to know what is good for everyone of us? What is your 'longsighted' view of the word: Home? People like you are full of theories and stories without a single concrete solution, where i call 'home' is where i felt at home, you may want to die for Nigeria as a 'patriotic' Nigerian but you know what? I will not, all i can do as a Nigerian is to keep my hands clean anywhere i found myself and i'm perfectly entitled to do that.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Leaving Nigeria Is A MUST!!, Please Help !!! / Surviving Airlines Are Only Doing National Service Due To Govt Policies – Arik / Five Ways To Avoid Being Robbed In Lagos This Xmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.