Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,594 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed (5379 Views)

Nine Pregnant Girls Arrested In Enugu After Police Raided Baby Factory (pic) / Police Recover N9m From Dead Armed Robbers Who Raided Owo Banks / 50 Armed Robbers Raid Banks In Osun • Kill Police Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by ASANIGBO(m): 7:02am On Sep 23, 2011
Dare-devil armed robbers numbering about 50 yesteday staged a commando attack on four banks located at Oke-Odo Iwo, Osun State, carting away millions of naira.
The robbers who arrived the sleepy town at about 9 a.m. used explosives to blast the security doors of the banks.

The attack on the four banks located near the Bowen University, claimed the life of a police Inspector, Christopher Atama.

Daily Sun gathered that the robbers who came in three buses and a mazda car, cornered Atama while the other policemen on duty fled. Some policemen allegedly left their weapons behind when they were overpowered by the robbers. The state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Solomon Olusegun confirmed the death of the officer and loss of weapons.”

“He said: it is true that about 50 armed bandits attacked some banks in Iwo. Ten policemen were on the ground when they arrived and once we got the information, another team was raced to reinforce them. Gun battle ensued and they fled. “We are on their trail and they will soon be arrested. We will also recover our stolen arms. Members of the public should join us by giving us useful information about criminals.”

Residents of Iwo hurriedly closed their doors as they thought the invasion was by Boko Haram sect.
The deafening noise of the explosives accompanied by sporadic shootings triggered sending of Save Our Soul (SOS) especially by the students of the Bowen University.

“We thought Boko Haram has made good its threat to bomb universities. Many of us started making calls and sending text messages pleading for protection and prayers,” Tope, a student at the university disclosed.
The General Secretary of Nigerian Baptist Convention/Visitor to Bowen University ,Dr. Olasupo Ayokunle and the university’s Vice Chancellor, Prof. Timothy Olagbemiro said no student or member of staff was killed or injured in the attack.

“I got series of conflicting reports this morning about the armed robbery attack at Iwo.I came from Ibadan to see things for myself. Thank God, nobody is injured in the campus. Normal activities of the school is not affected,” Ayokunle said. Apart from the four banks, a storey building housing Nigerian Association of Patent Medicine Dealers (NAPMED).Iwo/Ayedire/Ola-Oluwa chapter was riddled with bullets.
The Chairman of the association, Mr. Lukman Oseni said the misfortune came their way because the policemen always sit in front of the building.

Atama was killed in front of the building and his blood splattered all over the ground floor while bullets destroyed many belongings of the association. The slain police officer’s son ,Chinedu was inconsolable when he was met at the Divisional Police Station.

“My Dad must not die. I saw him this morning and he did not say he will never return. Where’s my dad? Dad where are you?It’s not true. Atama is not dead,”he wailed. Commercial activities in the town were adversely affected as other banks refused to open after the attack.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/sept/23/national-23-09-2011-016.html
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by Jarus(m): 7:13am On Sep 23, 2011
May God continue to protect us o. I know this point very well, and usually go there to use ATM anytime I am in Iwo, my mum's hometown.
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by gidson12(m): 7:27am On Sep 23, 2011
hey!!! Boko harams now in osun, osun is no longer safe o, chei
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 23, 2011
I culd jst imagne d heart of that boy, tears are dropng frm my eyes fo him!
On the other hand, f ths had been anywhere n d north we wuld have ben shotng bokoharam by now!
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by jamace(m): 7:30am On Sep 23, 2011
50 robbers operating together at a time is shocking. shocked  It means they trained and practised  to have carried out a co-ordinated attack.

Naija, where are you heading to?
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by homerac7: 7:52am On Sep 23, 2011
Residents of Iwo hurriedly closed their doors as they thought the invasion was by Boko Haram sect.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by juman(m): 7:56am On Sep 23, 2011
Unfortunate

Hope governments at all level will be more concern about unemployment of guys on the street.
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by uboma(m): 7:51am On Sep 24, 2011
can u pls list the four banks that were raided?
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by ugosly(m): 8:00am On Sep 24, 2011
Even the brightest and most intellectually endowed mind,if left IDLE,becomes a festering ground for the devil himself to manipulate and manifest all manner of opprobious atrocities.
This is simply 1 of the menace and painful pangs of unemployment.*CRIME*
Our irresponsible and clueless govt and leaders will never see it from this standpoint,instead they engage in boju boju(money siphoning)programmes and projects like NAPEP, SMEDAN and other time wasting crap ventures.
Without sounding like a dooms prophet,I think we should expect more of this dare devil attacks and bombardments.I only hope and pray,the maniacs just do away with the Banks' insured monies and not hurt anymore innocent Nigerians like them.
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by Yinkay: 8:26am On Sep 24, 2011
So, Iwo people are now using doors, in the olden they dont use doors. (Iwo tio ni lekun,tio ni kokoro)
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by kpofkpof: 8:51am On Sep 24, 2011
uboma:

can u pls list the four banks that were raided?

Skye bank, First bank, Intercontinental and I can't remember the name of the other bank
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by God2man(m): 10:13am On Sep 24, 2011
Jeremiah 17:11" As the patridge sitteth on eggs, and hatcheth them not; so he that getteth riches, and not by right, shall leave them in the midst of his days, and at his end shall be a fool." Proverb 9:17-19" Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant. But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell." You see,men are too much in a hurry, they want to get every thing once. No sweat. No waiting. No sowing. No labouring. Just to acquire wealth. The question:What are they going to do with blood and stolen money? Smoke,eat,sleep with ladies, buy car, buy cloth, buy, buy, buy, until the money is finished. Then,they want to robb again. There is an insatiable desire in men, never satsify, always want more. They failed to realise that such stolen and blood money will never, NEVER, do them any good in life,rather it will bring heartache, infirmity, calamity,disaster,badluck,sudden death, curse transfer to the generation unborn in the family. God, please help us. God2man.
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by hbrednic: 12:39pm On Sep 24, 2011
jamace:

50 robbers operating together at a time is shocking. shocked  It means they trained and practised  to have carried out a co-ordinated attack.

Naija, where are you heading to?
who counted the robbers amist the caos 

life and property is no longer safe in nigeria.
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by moshoodn(m): 2:13pm On Sep 24, 2011
Naija. . . Heading towards disintegration. . . .
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by akigbemaru: 2:55pm On Sep 24, 2011
Ibo people and their criminals go destroy YOrubaland. They are known for this, coming in thousands to rob. The have the largest stockpile of ammunition in the whole Naija. I guess the remnant of Bia-failed war. Mind you, December is around the corner and they need to show off in their villages. They know Yorubas are wealthy!!
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by philip0906(m): 2:59pm On Sep 24, 2011
^^
undecided
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by cantell(m): 3:06pm On Sep 24, 2011
akigbemaru:

Ibo people and their criminals go destroy YOrubaland. They are known for this, coming in thousands to rob. The have the largest stockpile of ammunition in the whole Naija. I guess the remnant of Bia-failed war. Mind you, December is around the corner and they need to show off in their villages. They know Yorubas are wealthy!!

This sounds like the words of an area-boy in sango-ota.
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by baslone: 3:11pm On Sep 24, 2011
ASANIGBO:

“He said: it is true that about 50 armed bandits attacked some banks in Iwo. Ten policemen were on the ground when they arrived and once we got the information, another team was raced to reinforce them. Gun battle ensued and they fled. “We are on their trail and they will soon be arrested. We will also recover our stolen arms. Members of the public should join us by giving us useful information about criminals.

Do it yourself mehn! You dey share the extorted 20, 20 nairas with members of the public?

Even they were just two robbers, they'll still escape! Useless Cops!

The only thing they know is - "yaaaa inner light"
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by MMM2(m): 4:04pm On Sep 24, 2011
how much did dey steal ?
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by cold(m): 5:42pm On Sep 24, 2011
If reinforcements arrived how then did they all escape?Mthceeeeew
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by engrj(m): 8:19pm On Sep 24, 2011
May God help us In Jesus Name.
Re: 4 Banks Raided In Osun by 50 Armed Robbers, Policeman Killed by Nobody: 11:24pm On Apr 10, 2012
ASANIGBO: Gun battle ensued and they fled.
They fled or they left, so this is how you use to lie that gun battle ensued, which gun battle, kai kai kai.

(1) (Reply)

A Witch Confession / Government Has Refused To Arrest This Man PHOTOS / Immigration Nabs 5 Nigerians En Route To Libya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.