Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,510 members, 7,770,302 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:51 AM

To The Dying African Generation - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / To The Dying African Generation (1437 Views)

Generation To Generations... / The Tenth Generation / “the Dying Art Of The Stage Craft ” : Chief Lari Williams, Olu Okekanye And Others Slug The Theme Out At Ana’s Meeting! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

To The Dying African Generation by moyinlorun: 2:33pm On Sep 23, 2011
Dear Present African Generation,

The news I heard about you has brought nothing but tears into my adoring eyes. Your unending thirst for blood broke my innocent heart so much that I begin to wonder if you understand the worth of life. You tell me, how would you explain all the crisis, the unending devastation and the numerous life that had been lost- all in the name of a second revolution and freedom?

I can't help, but marvel at your ignorance because you do not even understand what you are doing. Well, I'll make you understand what you just did. You have succeeded in trampling your future with your foot. You have succeeded in abusing and killing women who are meant to ride the children, that would brighten your future into this world. You have murdered children that would have grown up to be your savior. And what about youth with much strength and high capabilities? You have wasted their lives too.

Those lives were acceptabe sacrifice you say, but I'll tell you that this time, you have sacrificed too much. You never thought about children (who lost their parents) that have been forced to grow up without their parents. They have no one to guide them and teach them to do good things for themselves, and in years to come they'll constitute themselves into a nuisance thereby becoming useless to themselves and to everyone. Robbery, rapes, frauds and other crimes are problems they'll cause and you would begin to run helter skelter to solve them, forgetting that you started the problem with your ignorance.

And what about the parents that will never know the feelings of their children's embrace, the parents that lost their children to your wars and demonstrations. You have left a hole in their heart, depressed them and finally they will become a burden and unrelevant to everyone. To be candid, you have even caused some to develop heart problems, high blood pressure and hypertension. Well, you'd sworn to give them free medical treatment, but you should know all those resources would have be spent on something else.

Again I heard that, some of you have decided to enrich yourself while others suffer in abject poverty. I know poverty because poverty was there before I was born and it has become part of life like the blood through my veins. I know what it means to be in need and I know what it means to have more than enough.

Poverty is not only being hungry today and getting food to eat tomorrow. Poverty is going empty with no hope for the future. Poverty is seeing all your dreams and ambitions shattered because there is no one to help you. Poverty is watching your mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters die in pain and in sorrow just because they couldn't get something to eat. Poverty is hearing your grandmothers and grandfathers cry out to death to come take them because they are tired of this world. Poverty is watching your own children and grandchildren die in your arms but there is nothing you can do. Poverty is watching your children and grandchildren share tears in their deepest sleep. Poverty is when you hide your face and pray no one sees you because you feel less than a human being.

I know poverty inside out. I've experienced it and I've seen people experiencing it and not everyone live to tell the story, only few lucky ones like myself. I therefore plead with you, I appeal to you that you should not be selfish, greedy and irresponsible. It is inhuman for you to have enough to waste on irrelevant things like private jets(as I heard some of you did) while others cannot boast of a breakfast.

If you would learn nothing from the wealthy westerners, learn to be a philanthropist like them. You should always remember that, a man does not command respect only by his riches just like we do not value the sun only by its height, but for it use.

Lest I forget, On the issue of the westerners, It has come to my notice that you have with your carefree attitude allowed them to give you your identity. You do not have your own identity and you stand for nothing. You have allowed them to identify you as a third class citizen of the world. Well, shame on you if you cannot tell the world how much talented and relevant you can be if given the chance.

To them, poverty, failure, fraud, crime and anything atrocious is African. Honestly, I do not blame them. Do you think they are wrong? Well, then prove them wrong. Don't just sit down and accept their definition of you. There are some elements of truth in their definition, but the truth is "everything bad is not African"

There are a lots of good in you. Yes, you are people of color, but that color is your identity. You are talented, full of resources waiting to be tapped and utilize for the right purpose.

I am afraid that my letter will mean nothing to you. I am afraid that my tears will not move you into rising and working towards a brighter future. I am afraid that the next time I write to you, I'll still be writing of the same thing- your ignorance, your selfishness and irresponsibility. But, I plead that you try your possible best to prove me wrong.

I apologize if I have scolded and insult you,but more importantly with an optimistic yet realistic and pragmatic look, I have tried to call your attention to what you have neglected and I have also geered you up to work for a brighter future.

Finally I'll like to say that for me, I know the future is bright and needless to say- I am proudly African.

-ABM
Re: To The Dying African Generation by meshybizzo(m): 1:22pm On Sep 29, 2011
Dis is a gud and very true write up. i culd really feel ur passion in d letter. As u said, i only hope too dt our generation, mostly in nigeria, come 2 realize dere true potential n begin 2 fight 4 dere dreams.

(1) (Reply)

Don't Just Write Articles For Fun, Write Them For Money Too / Hillary Clinton Twitter Bio Saga: Chimamanda Adichie Finally Reacts To Criticism / Game Of Thrones; A Storm Of Swords, A Feast For Crows.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.