Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,194 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? (1878 Views)

Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles / Why Did Yoruba People Leave ELEDUMARE For The God Of Jesus And Allah? / The Yoruba Names Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by amor4ce(m): 2:30am On Sep 25, 2011
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by globexl: 3:24am On Sep 25, 2011
Where is(or was) canaan on the world map? Where did you get your information that Yorubas came from Canaan?
I dont how to say this without seeming rude, but I sense a case of Tokumbo mentality in your viewpoint. I notice that your are fighting very hard not to accept the Yoruba cosmogeny as authentic unless you can prove that is must have been IMPORTED from somehwere else of your choice. Interestingly, you chose canaan, I wonder why you did not choose arabia or palestine. For Yoruba history to be authentic, it must only come from outside of Africa, right? You cannot accept a truly authentic African origin of the Yorubas and Yoruba traditional religion?
I gues you have to read that human life and civilization began in Africa and spread out from there. You are desperately trying to link Yoruba traditional religion with jesus. How Pathetic.
I just cannot find words harsh enough to describe those who commit acts of calumny against their own cultural heritage for the sake of a used , worn out and discarded TOKUMBO religion of another race.
Mental slavery. SHAME SHAME SHAME.

1 Like

Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by amor4ce(m): 8:42am On Sep 25, 2011
Genesis clearly tells us that man migrated east from Africa. Later on some African groups were pursued out of the Arabian peninsular. You can check out this link.

Don't you yet realize that the Israelites of old were blacks?
Have you seen the Wikipedia article on the Amorites? (compare with Genesis 15:16)
“The Amorites, were a tall, handsome people, with white skins, blue eyes and reddish hair, all the characteristics, in fact, of the white race.”

Were those Israelites of old slaves in Egypt for 4 generations or the blacks who were victims of trans-atlantic slave trade? (in Egypt, didn't enslavement of Israelites start just before Moses was born)

Didn't Samson have locks (dada hair)?

If Absalom had oyinbo hair,how can his hair get stuck in a tree?

Why do the Edo people today like the red colour?

All those curses mentioned in Deuteronomy including the yokes of iron on the neck, who have they affected out of all the peoples of the world?

Have you studied the history of the Ijebu people?

I urge you to please consider this video
[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cdr0am5PPQ[/flash]

Finally, there are ways to get your points across, if any, without attacking my person and including vitriol. We have the capacity to reason instead of descending into outright condemnation.
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:06pm On Sep 25, 2011
[size=64pt]Yoruba God = Olodumare[/size]
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by Amujale(m): 1:33pm On Sep 25, 2011
I think you are more confused than anything, the Yorubas did not come from Canan or anywhere in Asia for that matter; rather from Ile-Ife.

No offence; but i would advice you to stop smoking ganja its not good for your health. Moreover what has the bible got to do with the Yorubas? Last i checked the stories in that book are based on instances claimed to have occured in the middle East. So if you want to learn about the ficticious past of the middle East then keep quoting the bible but if you want to learn about the Yorubas, then go enrol into one of our Universities and choose "Yoruba Studies" as your discipline.

Instead of exhibiting ignorance of the highest order.
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by amor4ce(m): 6:09pm On Sep 25, 2011
I never said that the origin of man is the middle east; in fact, I doubt if I've ever accepted that. Rather, Ile-Ife as the origin seems quite plausible.

Genesis 2:8 tells us that when GOD created man HE then planted a garden eastward in Eden and put man there.
Genesis 3:24 tells us that when man fell, GOD placed cherubbim at the east of the garden of Eden to guard the way to the tree of life.
Genesis 4:16 tels us that after Cain murdered his brother got to know his punishment he dwelt in the land of Nod on the east of Eden.

These imply that the movement of man from the "site" of his creation was to the east. Logic tells me that tracing this site means going in the opposite direction, ie, westward. This lends credence to the assertion that Ile-Ife is the cradle of man. What about the similarity of the names Enoch and Nok?

I posed a question for debate and clarification, not for assertion.

@Pagan9ja, Is OLODUMARE the name of GOD in Yoruba language, or is it a title? I want to assume that you know the meaning of OLODUMARE. Are you aware that some Yoruba custodians seem to speak of OLORUN, OLODUMARE ad ELEDA as if of 3 persons? Are you also aware that these custodians also have said that one of the other names of Esu is Eleda?

So far none of you have mentioned the meaning of ESU. Are you half-baked practitioners of your beliefs?

This is the link to the video I referred to earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cdr0am5PPQ
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:16pm On Sep 25, 2011
Yoruba have many Gods as aspects of he Supreme Creator:

Partial list of Orishas:

Olokun - guardian of the deep ocean, the abyss, and signifies unfathomable wisdom,
Obatala (Obatalá, Oxalá, Orixalá, Orisainlá) - arch-divinity, father of humankind, divinity of light, spiritual purity, and moral uprightness
Orunmila (Orunla, Ifá) - divinity of wisdom, divination, destiny, and foresight
Eshu (Eleggua, Exú, Esu, Elegba, Legbara, Papa Legba) - Eshu is the messenger between the human and divine worlds, Undergod of duality, crossroads and beginnings, and also a phallic and fertility Undergod (an Embodiment of Life) and the deliverer of souls to the underworld (an Embodiment of Death). Eshu is recognized as a trickster and is child-like, while Eleggua is Eshu under the influence of Obatala.
Ochumare (Oshumare, Oxumare) - rainbow deity, divinity of movement and activity, guardian of children and associated with the umbilical cord
Nana Buluku as Yemaja, the female thought of the male creator Ashe and the effective cause of all further creation. Sometimes considered to be the same as the Fon Mawu-Lisa who is, however, most usually depicted as her child or children.
Iemanja (Yemaja, Imanja, Yemayá, Jemanja, Yemalla, Yemana, Yemanja, Yemaya, Yemayah, Yemoja, Ymoja, Nanã, La Sirène, LaSiren, Mami Wata) - divine mother, divinity of the sea and loving mother of mankind, daughter of Obatala and wife of Aganju.
Aganju (Aganyu, Agayu) - Father of Shango, he is also said to be Shango's brother in other stories. Aganju is said to be the orisha of volcanoes, mountains, and the desert.
Shango (Shangó, Xango, Changó, Chango, Nago Shango) - warrior deity ; divinity of thunder, fire, sky father, represents male power and sexuality
Oba (Obba) - Shango's jealous wife, divinity of marriage and domesticity, daughter of Iemanja
Oya (Oyá, Oiá, Iansã, Yansá, Iansan, Yansan) - warrior deity; divinity of the wind, sudden change, hurricanes, and underworld gates, a powerful sorceress and primary lover of Shango
Ogoun (Ogun, Ogúm, Ogou) - warrior deity; divinity of iron, war, labour, sacrifice, politics, and technology (e.g. railroads)
Oshun (Oshún, Ọṣun, Oxum, Ochun, Osun, Oschun) - divinity of rivers, love, feminine beauty, fertility, and art, also one of Shango's lovers and beloved of Ogoun
Ibeji - the sacred twins, represent youth and vitality
Ochosi (Oxósse, Ocshosi, Osoosi, Oxossi) - hunter and the scout of the orishas, deity of the accused and those seeking justice or searching for something
Ozain (Osain, Osanyin) - Orisha of the forest, he owns the Omiero, a holy liquid consisting of many herbs, the liquid through which all saints and ceremonies have to proceed. Ozain is the keeper and guardian of the herbs, and is a natural healer. He sometimes appears as a beautiful wood sprite when in female form.
Babalu Aye (Omolu, Soponna, Shonponno, Obaluaye, Sakpata, Shakpana) - divinity of disease and illness (particularly smallpox, leprosy, and now AIDS), also orisha of healing and the earth, son of Iemanja
Erinle (Inle) - orisha of medicine, healing, and comfort, physician to the gods
Oko (Okko) - orisha of agriculture and the harvest
Ori (Yoruba) - Ruler of the head
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by globexl: 1:09am On Sep 26, 2011
@Pagan 9ja:

Thank you
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:50pm On Sep 26, 2011
globexl:

@Pagan 9ja:

Thank you

you are welcome brother. cool

I am Haussa but I cant stand the true religion of my Yoruba brothers being disrespected. angry
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by amor4ce(m): 7:08pm On Sep 27, 2011
globexl:

Where is(or was) canaan on the world map? Where did you get your information that Yorubas came from Canaan?
I dont how to say this without seeming rude, but I sense a case of Tokumbo mentality in your viewpoint. I notice that your are fighting very hard not to accept the Yoruba cosmogeny as authentic unless you can prove that is must have been IMPORTED from somehwere else of your choice. Interestingly, you chose canaan, I wonder why you did not choose arabia or palestine. For Yoruba history to be authentic, it must only come from outside of Africa, right? You cannot accept a truly authentic African origin of the Yorubas and Yoruba traditional religion?
I gues you have to read that human life and civilization began in Africa and spread out from there. You are desperately trying to link Yoruba traditional religion with jesus. How Pathetic.
I just cannot find words harsh enough to describe those who commit acts of calumny against their own cultural heritage for the sake of a used , worn out and discarded TOKUMBO religion of another race.
Mental slavery. SHAME SHAME SHAME.

It is TOKUNBO and not TOKUMBO.
I have given you reasons why Ife could very well be the origin of land, why man must have originated from Africa, how man migrated out of Africa to the Levant, and you kept quiet.
You mentioned worn out and discarded TOKUMBO religion of another race but I have shown you that the Hebrews (applies to the Edo(mites) and Jebu(sites) as well) must have had the same skin complexion as you and I. You have not responded in this regard.

Have you not accused me falsely and judged me of mental slavery?
I did not attack you but what did you do to me?
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by amor4ce(m): 7:29pm On Sep 27, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

Shango (Shangó, Xango, Changó, Chango, Nago Shango) - warrior deity ; divinity of thunder, fire, sky father, represents male power and sexuality
Oba (Obba) - Shango's jealous wife, divinity of marriage and domesticity, daughter of Iemanja

It is said that Shango was the third Alaafin of Oyo. If true:
(1)Is it that he descended from heaven to earth to become Alaafin?
(2) During the time of the first and second Alaafin who was the warrior deity and/or divinity of thunder, fire, and/or sky father?
(3)Who represented male power and sexuality before Shango became Alaafin?

1 Like

Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by TonySpike: 11:52am On Aug 05, 2013
Amor4ce, why did you allow this thread to die off?
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:56pm On Aug 05, 2013
Tony Spike: Amor4ce, why did you allow this thread to die off?

How did Ajayi Crowther translate Ezek. 23:20 into Yoruba Even google translator was like WTF

('' There she lusted after her lovers whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses'')
Maybe Amor4ce can help
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by Nobody: 12:58am On Aug 06, 2013
Lol... I bet you lot haven't met this amor4ce guy, the psycho. #NoApologies!
Dude is confused.
He's hatred personified too.
Full of undiluted hatred and confusion.
Re: Did The Yoruba People Forget And Substitute The Name Of God? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:57am On Aug 06, 2013
amor4ce:

It is said that Shango was the third Alaafin of Oyo. If true:
(1)Is it that he descended from heaven to earth to become Alaafin?
(2) During the time of the first and second Alaafin who was the warrior deity and/or divinity of thunder, fire, and/or sky father?
(3)Who represented male power and sexuality before Shango became Alaafin?

First of all, it was not uncommon to name rulers after Gods across Pagan cultures around the world.

Now if Shango was the name of a ruler of Oyo, it is possible as well. The deity of war, thunder and desructive forces was already known to the people as Jakuta prior to Shango. it is possible that this particular ruler was of fierce temperament, so the populace named this particular Spiritual force after him. it is not that thy worship this ruler. THey are worshipping the particular spiritual force associated with it. It is just the name that is given.

1) The ruler "SHango" was not descended from heaven to Earth.

2) It was Jakuta (if ever such a name inter-change took place).

3) Jakuta - power.
sexuality /fertility would be with regards to one of the female Goddesses.

(1) (Reply)

The Light In Genesis 1-3 Has Been Uncovered Here / How To Pray And Receive Answers. / How Charles Darwin Became An Atheist.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.