Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,763 members, 7,955,911 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:29 PM

What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds (33214 Views)

Higher Liquidity To Spur Demand For Nigerian Bonds Next Week / How To Invest In Federal Government Bonds / Nigerian Bonds (money Machine) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by ojubi(m): 10:57pm On Sep 26, 2011
@ 2020 and Dudu thanks for yo advice. But diversification means having assets in all clases of investment namely business, real estate, perpar assets, commodities etc. If u ve assets only on bunds, stocks, mutual funds only that is only one class of asset. And in actual terms u re diworsifying because technically all yo eggs re in the same basket. As for baying bunds fo ten milla bros u hold oh. I salute sha, i de come.
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by duduspace(m): 11:05pm On Sep 26, 2011
ojubi:

@ 2020 and Dudu thanks for yo advice. But diversification means having assets in all clases of investment namely business, real estate, perpar assets, commodities etc. If u ve assets only on bunds, stocks, mutual funds only that is only one class of asset. And in actual terms u re diworsifying because technically all yo eggs re in the same basket. As for baying bunds fo ten milla bros u hold oh. I salute sha, i de come.

You should have assets in as many classes of investment as you can. In Nigeria, I believe that also includes the political class, Boko Haram and Niger Delta millitants.  grin grin
You are totally right in saying there are levels of diversification, yu've got a balancing act to do and need to choose wisely when you start out it's quite a daunting task but the reward is usually worth it, even the learning experience is and very soon yu'll be chilling and collecting your 574k without stepping out of your house like Wura2020 while still expecting yur 10 milla after maturity. I never reach that level o.
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by ossaisly(m): 3:21am On Sep 27, 2011
He that has ear,let him hear. I think you have spoken well. Our problem in this country is just that we are too naïve to invest. Lazy bones are very good at giving excuses.
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by linkin8k(m): 9:09am On Sep 27, 2011
can I a Corper earning 19k a month invest too cry cry
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by yusuf2(m): 9:43am On Sep 27, 2011
Lost almost a Million Naira in the financial melt down of the stock market in 2009 sad , now i'm into bonds, i was adviced to buy bonds instead of shares earlier on but due to the higher yields of stocks as compared to bonds, i went for the later, now i've learnt the hard way, i'm into bonds now, (not as profitable but as the saying goes "better safe than sorry"wink wink
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by willis2k9(m): 5:07pm On Sep 27, 2011
Lets talk on fone.08034874611
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by duduspace(m): 5:54pm On Sep 27, 2011
yusuf_@:

Lost almost a Million Naira in the financial melt down of the stock market in 2009  sad , now i'm into bonds, i was adviced to buy bonds instead of shares earlier on but due to the higher yields of stocks as compared to bonds, i went for the later, now i've learnt the hard way, i'm into bonds now, (not as profitable but as the saying goes "better safe than sorry"wink  wink

Same here, but you have not lost if you have not sold your holdings even though you must have lost the opportunity cost which is the real value of mone and not the cash value, money is a very interesting entity, it has wings according to the bible and flies, if you can learn its migratory patterns like pigeons then yu'll be best placed to eploit your knowledge. Unfortunately most people are not financially educated and are not even willing to educate themselves financially.
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by thuao(m): 11:11am On Oct 01, 2011
Pls which bonds are presently available both govt & private and what's is their coupon/interest and how do I go abt it.
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by fretanatio: 11:43am On Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for this post, I've learnt a lot and its cleared up a few of my misconceptions.

Can UK citizens purchase Nigerian bonds? If not, what do you suggest is the best way for a UK citizen to invest in Nigeria?
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by Timi1990(m): 1:24pm On Jan 08, 2012
@ poster pls i need ur help too. Am an undergraduate, just got $1000 (150,000) from an uncle 4rm yankee, bt think i should invest it rather than spending it on material stuff. Pls how do i purchase this and where can i purchase it, pls i need ur rply asap, cuz i dnt want to spend out of the money. Thanks. Hp to hear 4rm u.
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by Timi1990(m): 1:26pm On Jan 08, 2012
@ poster pls i need ur help too. Am an undergraduate, just got $1000 (150,000) from an uncle 4rm yankee, bt think i should invest it rather than spending it on material stuff. Pls how do i purchase this and where can i purchase it, pls i need ur rply asap, cuz i dnt want to spend out of the money. Thanks. Hp to hear 4rm u.
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by princeuk21(m): 12:02pm On Nov 01, 2012
Is it still wise to invest on bond @ this time? If no why?
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by soldierAnt(m): 10:55am On Mar 24, 2013
To all seasoned investors and friends in the house,

I'm young, just bagged my first real job and I'm looking to start investing right away. I figured I'd better start early because I know I've still got lots to learn and my commitments couldn't possibly be any lower than they are right now. I'm prepared for a bumpy ride but I'd really appreciate any advice I can get from the house.

Been thinking about money market funds and index funds, but I'd really like to know how to go about obtaining a proper financial education. I'm quite a tech geek, you see; I know next to nothing about finance.,

Thanks in advance.
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by deols(f): 5:52pm On Nov 19, 2013
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by livingstoneony(m): 9:52am On Nov 20, 2013
fretanatio: Thanks for this post, I've learnt a lot and its cleared up a few of my misconceptions.

Can UK citizens purchase Nigerian bonds? If not, what do you suggest is the best way for a UK citizen to invest in Nigeria?
y Nigeria?
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:04am On Nov 20, 2013
femi2008: Vacancy! Vacancy!! Vacancy!!!
University of the Caribbean is looking for reliable lecturers for the following Degree and Master Degree programs:
College of Business and Economics
 The College of Business and Economics offers programs leading to the following Bachelor degrees:
 • Accounting
 • Business Administration
 • Communications
 • Finance
 • Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism
 • Human Resource Management
 • Insurance and Risk Management
 • International Business
 • Management
 • Marketing
 • International Relations
College of Science and Engineering
 The College of Science and Engineering offers programs leading to the following Bachelor degrees:
 • Computer Engineering
 • Computer Information Systems
 • Computer Science
 • Engineering Management
 • Environmental Science
 • Management Information Systems
 • Occupational Health and Safety
College of Social, Human Behavior & Art
 The College of Social and Human Behavior offers programs leading to the following Bachelor degrees:
 • Criminal Justice Management
 • Health Care Administration
 • Law Enforcement Management
 • Political Science
 • Psychology
 • Public Administration
 • Public Health
 • Social Work
 . Religious Studies
 . Theology

College of Education
 The College of Education offers programs leading to the following
 Bachelor degrees:
 • Early Childhood Education
 • Education
 • Education Administration
 • Health and Physical Education

Requirements: Master Degrees & PhDs with 4 to 5years experiences.
Interview Date: 8th October 2011
Venue: FOUNTAIN INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE
22/24, Agborho Street, Opposite Govt. College, Ikorodu
Lagos.

Send your applications with CV, & Credentials to:

University of the Caribbean (Liaison Office) Nigeria
50, T.O.S Benson road, Ikorodu, Lagos
Tel: 234-8024326624

Applicants from other States can send applications to: universityofthecaribbean@ymail.com

Applications close on 1st October 2011

This smells like a scam.

1 Like

Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by hkk(m): 5:02pm On Sep 02, 2014
seun.. am also interested in bonds. pls contact me via elunks @gmail.com
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by hkk(m): 5:57pm On Sep 02, 2014
pls I am interested in bonds and treasury bills my email is elunks@gmail.com..
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by DedeNkem: 7:36am On Aug 29, 2015
So say Nigeria breaks up, who gets to refund my money? lipsrsealed

Good question. Nigerian bonds will be worthless if the country breaks up. None of the new countries will be responsible for repayment. The same way Shares of a company that liquidates becomes useless. You'll lose your investment on both.

Occasionally in regards to large companies, depending on the type of stock you hold, you may be entitled to a portion of the liquidated assets, if there are any left over. However, the stock itself will become worthless, leaving shareholders unable to sell their defunct shares.

Countries hardly breakup or cease to exist but companies always shut down. I guess that's the main difference.
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by abubaka101: 12:05pm On Aug 29, 2015
duduspace:

Same here, but you have not lost if you have not sold your holdings even though you must have lost the opportunity cost which is the real value of mone and not the cash value, money is a very interesting entity, it has wings according to the bible and flies, if you can learn its migratory patterns like pigeons then yu'll be best placed to eploit your knowledge. Unfortunately most people are not financially educated and are not even willing to educate themselves financially.
I have knowledge in finance for understanding both int'l economics and personal finance, but I have to admit, this is one of the best statements on personal finance I have ever heard!
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by abubaka101: 12:24pm On Aug 29, 2015
DedeNkem:

Good question. Nigerian bonds will be worthless if the country breaks up. None of the new countries will be responsible for repayment. The same way Shares of a company that liquidates becomes useless. You'll lose your investment on both.

Occasionally in regards to large companies, depending on the type of stock you hold, you may be entitled to a portion of the liquidated assets, if there are any left over. However, the stock itself will become worthless, leaving shareholders unable to sell their defunct shares.

Countries hardly breakup or cease to exist but companies always shut down. I guess that's the main difference.

But you forget that unless a country breaks up via civil war, a party must still be responsible for the defunct country's funds & debts. E.g. if Southern Nigeria splits from the rest of Nigeria non-violently, both parties negotiate issues like border demarcation and debt sharing. In this case, bond holders should/will still be paid.
But if, for instance, a country is internationally recognised to not have a legitimate ruler/govt, that country's assets overseas are frozen for the time being to avoid unauthorised access of the funds. This also means bond holders would not be paid until all is well.
And again, you should note that corporate bond is different from equity holdings. So if a company collapses, its assets are sold to pay the creditors, even though they may not be paid in full.
But for equity, particularly common shares, you lose everything when the company bellies-up.
But a major risk bonds carry is the RISK OF DEBTORS DEFAULTING ON PAYMENTS. I think that is the scariest!
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by pappy4real(m): 8:54am On May 29, 2016
Hmm! As at now, is I still advisable to invest in bonds considering our current state of the economy.
Re: What Bonds Are & How To Invest In Nigerian Bonds by berry5: 12:50pm On Dec 14, 2018
Hello,

While making money in your business, you can invest here and start making a good daily living incomes money from this great legit website company http://www.virtatrade.com/index.php where you can make big source of incomes from the comfort of your home without trading risk.

This how this company work, You buy your virta stock from this modern company at the current market price and sell when the price value of a virta stock rise up to make your instant profit with them.

This modern company does not involve risk trading where traders need to trade with either to loss or gain.

All you do is to sell your virta stock and make your instant profits.

I make good daily incomes from this company platform as my extra source of incomes to my bitcoin wallet. every day.

Visit and register with the company here http://www.virtatrade.com/index.php and test their trading platform with just one dollar to earn your first profit from their market to see how great their trading platform work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gtbank Savings Account Interest Payments Replaced By Deductions / Royal Q Crypto Trading Robot (Updates) / Swiss Golden Company Limited Defrauds Nigerians Of N3bn — EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.