Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,870 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development (2423 Views)

Is Age 40 Too Old To Become A Software Engineer? / Learn Coding In Ilorin Kwara Stat!! Frontend, Backend And Fullstack Development! / Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 2:09pm On May 12, 2023
I am going to be 28 this year, I bought two courses on udemy last year, first one is about designing, I have finished it, I had some challenges but I overcame although I feel I'm not good enough to work with my design skills, now I'm into the second course( fullstack development) and it has been tedious and stressful, I used to be intelligent when I was in school, stopped at ND because they was no money to further my education and get HND, instead of staying idle I decided to learn those skills, now I'm not grasping anything, I'm learning and giving my best but no results, I just can't grab it, I don't know wether it's because I am too old or b because I am bad at math, pls advice me on how to to actually know this, I want to be proficient enough to know it instead of googling and using chatgpt to bail myself out always.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:21pm On May 12, 2023
It's okay to Google and use chat gpt in your earlier days.

11 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Konsult07(m): 3:08pm On May 12, 2023
I don't think your too old, maybe you're getting distracted or not putting the right attitude towards it. You can learn many things at any age so far you have the physical strength required.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by haybhi1(m): 5:15pm On May 12, 2023
Well, you're not too old. Open your mind and as you build more focus, you grasp.

My reservation is just the profitability of the full stack you're learning. It'd take about a year for your to grasp medium level. Meanwhile, atm techies are lamenting lack of jobs. Look in the news and see the rain of lay-offs swarming everywhere. FAANG continues to be kicking experienced people out. These people will compete against an inexperienced techie in job opportunities, stifling more your chances.

I heard the opportunities are even harder for territorial Nigerians as remote jobs keeps getting extinct. It's about the 'glut' that's swallowed the industry.

I'm not looking to discourage you, just being realistic about what you're getting into. If you follow related news and even follow top, experienced NL techies like Tensazangetsu20, I'll be sounding more like a realist than a thwarter to you.

The bright side, of course, is you having a great, innovative, unique idea upon which to build a product on to sell. Then money don come, but I hate how one white man might have already thought about it and started introducing it and rendering it to late.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Sheriman(m): 5:20pm On May 12, 2023
You're not to old but I think reason why you're not grasping it is that this is Nigeria where a person at that your age is now on his own to provide for himself. You think of many thing in your mind which are What to eat? how will you be consistence? Family expectations? Societal pressure.

6 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 6:45pm On May 12, 2023
"I want to be proficient enough to know it instead of googling and using chatgpt to bail myself out always."
What do you think even expert software developers do with much of their time? They google stuff to bail themselves out!

9 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by rickyamos: 7:13pm On May 12, 2023
To be realistic. You are too old already, after you finish learning on your own, you will need to get internship positions to get industry experience, internships position pays at most 50k, which can’t feed an adult. You can be an intern for as long as 1 to 2 years before you become proficient to become a junior developer

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 11:07pm On May 12, 2023
haybhi1:
Well, you're not too old. Open your mind and as you build more focus, you grasp.

My reservation is just the profitability of the full stack you're learning. It'd take about a year for your to grasp medium level. Meanwhile, atm techies are lamenting lack of jobs. Look in the news and see the rain of lay-offs swarming everywhere. FAANG continues to be kicking experienced people out. These people will compete against a inexperienced techie in job opportunities stifling more your chances.

I heard the opportunities are even harder for territorial Nigerians as remote jobs keeps getting extinct. It's about the 'glut' that's swallowed the industry.

I'm not looking to discourage you, just being realistic about what you're getting into. If you follow its news and even follow top, experienced NL techies like Tenza, I'll be sounding more like a realist than a thwarter to you.

The bright side, of course, is you having a great, innovative, unique idea upon which to build a product on to sell. Then money don come, but I hate how one white man might have already thought about it and started introducing it and rendering it to late.
So what do u suggest I learn, great advice but you didn't include what you'd do to remedy the problem.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 11:09pm On May 12, 2023
Sheriman:
You're not to old but I think reason why you're not grasping it is that this is Nigeria where a person at that your age is now on his own to provide for himself. You think of many thing in your mind which are What to eat? how will you be consistence? Family expectations? Societal pressure.
Yea you're right about the family problem part, as it is I'm the only one providing for my family, it's my biggest reason to why I am learning fullstack in the first place.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Lexzeey: 11:09pm On May 12, 2023
rickyamos:
To be realistic. You are too old already, after you finish learning on your own, you will need to get internship positions to get industry experience, internships position pays at most 50k, which can’t feed an adult. You can be an intern for as long as 1 to 2 years before you become proficient to become a junior developer
this is crazy honestly.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Millerules(m): 8:05am On May 13, 2023
You're not to old. Programming is for everyone but sadly, not everyone can be a programmer.

You can be sound academically and be a shitty coder if you cannot be logical in the way you think.

But it's not the end, and I'm not trying to discourage you. Start from the very basics, html is a good start and then you move up from there. But then age is not on your side. If you have the determination, you will get there some day.

Or simply change your track. Programming is not the only paying IT skills anymore.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by truthCoder: 8:18am On May 13, 2023
rickyamos:

LOL.

29 is too old?

OK

7 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by qtguru(m): 9:27am On May 13, 2023
29 too old lol I love Americans. I guess they are more confident even 40 dey jump into tech

9 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by chim14(m): 5:46pm On May 13, 2023
No one is too old to learn anything. Problem with new generation naija is pure laziness.

You just sit there foolishly asking stupid questions when you have access to internet that has a wealth of knowledge.

5 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Ikennaford: 8:33am On May 14, 2023
You are too old shikena, make money then allow your son to start learning at 4
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Shikena(m): 8:46am On May 14, 2023
If that is what your heart desires then you are never too old. If you don't start now then in 2 years time, you would start blaming yourself for not starting at 29. Bro, you can start at 40 or more, just don't have an employee mindset at that point. Always have a 5-year plan that leads somewhere. Always learn the business side of whatever you do. It is not about your age. A 22 year old may only have just 3 or 7 years left in this world, so stay positive and go for your dreams. Life is just a temporary stage, age is irrelevant as long as you are physically and mentally sound.

7 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Shikena(m): 8:56am On May 14, 2023
Hang in there. Don't expect to be a guru in just a couple of years. You may not acknowledge this but you are way better than when you started this journey.

Find materials on algorithms and on data structures. Let google or ChatGPT bail you out but review the steps a few times for better understanding.

Remember, skills development is all about repetition and that leads to expertise.

Lexzeey:
I am going to be 29 this year, I bought two courses on udemy last year, first one is about designing, I have finished it, I had some challenges but I overcame although I feel I'm not good enough to work with my design skills, now I'm into the second course( fullstack development) and it has been tedious and stressful, I used to be intelligent when I was in school, stopped at ND because they was no money to further my education and get HND, instead of staying idle I decided to learn those skills, now I'm not grasping anything, I'm learning and giving my best but no results, I just can't grab it, I don't know wether it's because I am too old or b because I am bad at math, pls advice me on how to to actually know this, I want to be proficient enough to know it instead of googling and using chatgpt to bail myself out always.

4 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by rickyamos: 1:23pm On May 15, 2023
Lexzeey:
this is crazy honestly.

How? it is just the truth. Tech isn’t a get rich quick scheme. He must work locally in Nigeria before even thinking of getting a remote job in USA or UK. The chances of getting remote jobs are low. And even In Nigeria there aren’t much job opportunities in the tech industry, the opportunities available pay low when compared with the years of experience they want you to have .

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by qtguru(m): 3:36pm On May 15, 2023
rickyamos:

How? it is just the truth. Tech isn’t a get rich quick scheme. He must work locally in Nigeria before even thinking of getting a remote job in USA or UK. The chances of getting remote jobs are low. And even In Nigeria there aren’t much job opportunities in the tech industry, the opportunities available pay low when compared with the years of experience they want you to have .

Some people are lucky, I taught a girl who had 0 knowledge and IBM Dubai recruited her vs someone with years of experience.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by rickyamos: 3:41pm On May 15, 2023
qtguru:

Some people are lucky, I taught a girl who had 0 knowledge and IBM Dubai recruited her vs someone with years of experience.
1 in 1 million. You can use that to judge, better to go for average
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by qtguru(m): 3:50pm On May 15, 2023
rickyamos:

1 in 1 million. You can use that to judge, better to go for average

No harm in trying.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by truthCoder: 3:57pm On May 15, 2023
rickyamos:

My first tech job was remote.

Low salaries doesn’t mean you cant start.

Salaries are not everything.

5 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by airsaylongcome: 4:13pm On May 15, 2023
rickyamos:

The way some of you make sweeping comments ehn...I dey shock. My current remote role, I had absolutely no professional experience, let alone Nigerian work experience before I applied and got hired. You don't have to "work locally in Nigeria" to be able to get a foreign remote job. Yes, previous work experience does help, but it's not mandatory. Especially for entry level roles which is what the OP would be looking for.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by rickyamos: 7:33pm On May 15, 2023
airsaylongcome:

The way some of you make sweeping comments ehn...I dey shock. My current remote role, I had absolutely no professional experience, let alone Nigerian work experience before I applied and got hired. You don't have to "work locally in Nigeria" to be able to get a foreign remote job. Yes, previous work experience does help, but it's not mandatory. Especially for entry level roles which is what the OP would be looking for.
Where is the company located?
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by airsaylongcome: 6:00am On May 16, 2023
rickyamos:

Where is the company located?

US. California specifically.

Meanwhile, what do you mean by your post below?

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Immunity1555: 6:32am On May 16, 2023
Lexzeey:
I am going to be 29 this year, I bought two courses on udemy last year, first one is about designing, I have finished it, I had some challenges but I overcame although I feel I'm not good enough to work with my design skills, now I'm into the second course( fullstack development) and it has been tedious and stressful, I used to be intelligent when I was in school, stopped at ND because they was no money to further my education and get HND, instead of staying idle I decided to learn those skills, now I'm not grasping anything, I'm learning and giving my best but no results, I just can't grab it, I don't know wether it's because I am too old or b because I am bad at math, pls advice me on how to to actually know this, I want to be proficient enough to know it instead of googling and using chatgpt to bail myself out always.
Firstly,I will say you are not too old. What you need is perseverance and determination.
Secondly, you need a good foundation to start learning over again.
Lastly,I will recommend you to where you can learn with live projects. Check Bincom Global Tech programme and start learning to gain experience and exposure. Also with other benefits.
https:///3Jgxo2h

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by rickyamos: 11:37am On May 16, 2023
airsaylongcome:

US. California specifically.

Meanwhile, what do you mean by your post below?

Exactly what is written there. What part of the sentence is difficult for you to comprehend please?
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by airsaylongcome: 11:38am On May 16, 2023
rickyamos:

Exactly what is written there. What part of the sentence is difficult for you to comprehend please?

street wise hustle

That's euphemism for yahoo yahoo right?
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by rickyamos: 3:17pm On May 16, 2023
airsaylongcome:

street wise hustle

That's euphemism for yahoo yahoo right?

It could be anything according to your capacity. It means hustling in the informal sector of the economy.
Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Gbengageorge: 6:34pm On May 16, 2023
I am over 40 and just learning programming, you are not too late, just make sure you are doing enough practical and projects as you are reading. it will help you to assimilate, also put in enough time and you will assimilate. Thats what I am doing too, it will be hard at first but later it will be easy.

BeLookingIDIOT:
"I want to be proficient enough to know it instead of googling and using chatgpt to bail myself out always."
What do you think even expert software developers do with much of their time? They google stuff to bail themselves out!

3 Likes

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jun 10, 2023
Lexzeey:
hi, I sent you a pm kindly check ur mail

1 Like

Re: Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development by Anonymous6o6: 9:24pm On Jun 10, 2023
rickyamos:

Your realism rests with you alone. One can create an opportunity for himself depending on how he goes about it. I know someone who spend two years learning frontend without getting any offers, I also know another who learnt HTML and CSS and built YouTube, email, twitter clone. It wasn't even responsive yet three companies reached out to him with job offers, two Nigerian companies and one remote, this was because he had posted it on twitter.

My first job was a referral to someone living in the UK. OP can get a remote job if he wanted but that heavily depends on him.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Get Free Computer Science Education Online / Www.buyvcc.com Is Scam He Is Big Thief In Nairaland / Mobile App Developer Needed [android & Ios]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.