Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,212 members, 7,839,121 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List (42318 Views)

Floyd Mayweather Tops Forbes List Of Highest Paid Athletes - Full List / Aliko Dangote Hosts Anthony Joshua On His ₦15b Luxury Yacht / Anthony Joshua And Sister, Janet Joshua On A Plane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by 7lives: 2:58pm On May 18, 2023
Okoroawusa:

Wait? Are you saying that that Antewhatever is actually Adetokumbo? Wonders shall never end! I have been racking my brain for years wondering what Nigerian tribe bear such name. So na change dem change am?

Op the two people are not Nigerians. They might have Nigerian heritage but they are not Nigerians.

Go and watch the movie " RISE ".
The Greeks despite hating on them for being black, spell Adetokunbo as antetokounpo when Gianni's got an opportunity to go for NBA draft.
The most beautiful part of the story was that the whole family were able to relocate to America, because Giannis got drafted.
God pass man.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by rigarmortis: 3:52pm On May 18, 2023
Airlord2030:
my dad was the village drunk who rayyyped my mom without condom on a bench inside a ramshackle shed somewhere in ikorodu. He poured his alcohol diluted spe3rm inside her fetid cvvvunt and I was the first one to swim to her rotten womb.

Nine months later fell out of her gutter wide puccccci and landed on my head.

That's why I can't reason properly.

Eyaaaah. I understand you. It is well
Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by InkredibleHulk: 5:14pm On May 18, 2023
Giannis was actually born in Athens Greece. Under international law, a child automatically acquires the citizenship of the country he is born in. That is why so many of your useless Nigerian celebrities and politicians, including the present corpse in Aso Rock, are sending their pregnant daughters to give birth in Europe and America.

Wagwanbrethren:

No, they are from Mars! 🙄
That Antetokounpo is Adetokumbo. It was spelt that way by Greece authority!

Now, tell me, how is he/they not a Nigerian? 🤷‍♂️

1 Like

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by InkredibleHulk: 5:16pm On May 18, 2023
Thank you, I was just about to point this out. His Mom named Veronica is from the Igbo Speaking part of Delta State, while his Dad (Francis Adetokunbo) who is now late was a Lagosian.

rigarmortis:

Antetokoumpo's mom is Igbo, he even speaks more Igbo than Yoruba. But now he is Omooluabi. When he tries to contest for Ogun LGA councilor you will remind him his name is chinedu

3 Likes

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Airlord2030: 7:07pm On May 18, 2023
rigarmortis:

Eyaaaah. I understand you. It is well
if you like edit my comment, it doesn't change the fact that you are an easternbul monkey. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Airlord2030: 7:18pm On May 18, 2023
GeneralPula:

Akeredolu’s wife..
Adeleke’s wife..
Makinde’s wife..

All are non-Yoruba and their husband are presently Governor’s..
adeleke yoruba wife is the first lady of osun state and not that yamlegg olosho

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by rigarmortis: 5:49am On May 19, 2023
Airlord2030:
if you like edit my comment, it doesn't change the fact that you are an easternbul monkey. cheesy

Cry
Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Tito24: 3:55pm On May 19, 2023
Goalnaldo:
They are not nigerians!
no
They are biafrans 😂😂😂

5 Likes

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Ferdinandu(m): 3:58pm On May 19, 2023
Creeper:

https://www.forbes.com/lists/athletes/?sh=257d6c2e5b7e
I can't see any Nigerian there or is my eyes paining me
Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Didi2d(m): 4:00pm On May 19, 2023
7lives:
That Adetokunbo family are a financial armada, four guys in NBA league.
There,s a movie about that family titled " RISE ".

How's the movie like, I need to see it
Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Angelfrost(m): 4:01pm On May 19, 2023
Giannis Adetokumbo's family is made for life...!

Even better is that the boys are not just wealthy but well-brought-up and highly disciplined!

This is generational wealth!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Angelfrost(m): 4:05pm On May 19, 2023
7lives:

Go and watch the movie " RISE ".
The Greeks despite hating on them for being black, spell Adetokunbo as antetokounpo when Gianni's got an opportunity to go for NBA draft.
The most beautiful part of the story was that the whole family were able to relocate to America, because Giannis got drafted.
God pass man.

I already read the full story before seeing the movie... Such a powerful story of grit and determination!

God bless the parents for doing and sacrificing everything to get their sons to this point!

Now, the family is MADE for life!

5 Likes

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Didi2d(m): 4:05pm On May 19, 2023
Creeper:

Lol, why did you say that?

I think people take the conversion of “Adetokunbo” to “Antetokounmpo” to heart, lol.

It’s neither his fault nor him trying to dissociate himself from Nigeria - it was a necessity. He and family were illegal immigrants in Greece until he got invited to the NBA draft at 18 despite being born in Greece. And he needed a passport to travel from Greece to the US. He applied for Nigerian passport but Greece saw an opportunity to claim a guy born in their country with huge potentials and quickly claimed him before Nigeria did.

And “Antetokounmpo” is the spelling of “Adetokunbo” using Greek alphabets. It’s pronounced the same way.

Thank you so much for the clarification, stay bless

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Angelfrost(m): 4:07pm On May 19, 2023
2fine2fast:
Please rephrase …
Two Omoluabis..

Okay, they are Omoluabis!

Happy now??!... Has that made the lives of Omoluabis easier and better than those of other tribes living in Nigeria??!
Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Zico5(m): 4:08pm On May 19, 2023
Yoruba rule them all. We no dey make mouth. We allow our work to speak.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Jeezuzpick(m): 4:13pm On May 19, 2023
DatIgalaDude:
Success has many relatives.
The first guy don even convert Adetokumbo to alien name. Still Una still wan claim am.

How does this change the condition of our country?

The "conversion" was not deliberate.

The name was spelt that way by the inadequacy of the Greek alphabet to accurately spell a Yoruba name.

Doesn't matter anyway.....if he doesn't identify as a Nigerian, his choice.

3 Likes

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by seguno2: 4:16pm On May 19, 2023
2fine2fast:
Please rephrase …
Two Omoluabis..

………because they WERE made in Yoruba land? Or because they have done DNA tests to prove that they are descendants of the millions who we captured and sold as slaves
Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Thryphosa(m): 4:17pm On May 19, 2023
Giannis has a Nigerian passport, so he's a Nigerian.
Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by seguno2: 4:19pm On May 19, 2023
Goalnaldo:
They are not nigerians!

Definitely not Nigerian since we contributed little to nothing for their success, only to be famzing the athletes.

David Hundeyin
May 4, 2022

I want to sell a script to a Hollywood studio. The story is about a guy who owns a farm that constantly runs at a loss but never quite shuts down.

The farm is massive and underutilised, and the protagonist has all the opportunities in the world to improve its output and get a bumper harvest.

He has access to credit, machinery, free irrigation and gifts from neighbouring farmers, but all he ever does with these things is drink and smoke them away while his family suffers.

Nigeria has refused to grow up and achieve something, but it somehow feels as if it is living vicariously through the achievements of its estranged children around the world

Apart from drinking, smoking and generally being utterly useless, his other pastime is to pump out children at an industrial rate. Needless to say, he takes no care of his children whatsoever, and many of them fail to survive childhood.

Those who do survive have to leave the farm and hire themselves out as hired labour to the neighbouring farmers, having picked up some survival skills from home.

With time, a number of them rise through the ranks and become senior managers, directors and even shareholders in these other farms while their father continues mismanaging his farm.

When good news about some of these successful children gets home, their father is filled with pride and joy, but when they end up on the wrong side of life, he acts as if he never knew them.

The successful ones make efforts to revamp their childhood home by sending back money and volunteering their skills and time, but all this guy ever wants to do is be a 62-year-old underachieving idiot carried through life by charity and luck.

Famzing” diaspora success is dishonest
I’m sure before the end of the second paragraph, you figured out whose story I was telling. The 62-year story of post-independence Nigeria — which the Hollywood studio would surely reject for being too sad with no redemption — is that of our fictional antihero.

Nigeria has refused to grow up and achieve something, but it somehow feels as if it is living vicariously through the achievements of its estranged children around the world.

Remember how everyone from corporate brands to Abike Dabiri made a big song and dance about supporting Anthony Joshua the “Nigerian,” whose only chance to become someone in life came when his parents emigrated from Nigeria?

Remember how things turned when he somehow lost against that chubby Mexican dude whose name I can’t remember? Remember when the Super Falcons won the female AFCON title and received a congratulatory tweet from the president, only for them to have to stage a protest before being paid their camp allowances?

That’s what we do in Nigeria. We try to live vicariously through the achievements of people who have achieved great things under their own steam, simply because said people happen to be called ‘Ifeoma,’ ‘Efe’ and ‘Ayotunde.’

Even when Nigeria had absolutely nothing to do with said success, or in fact happened in spite of Nigeria, as with Divine Oduduru, we bask in the reflected glory of their personal achievements.

Sometimes when those people wear a Nigerian flag or post something about Wizkid or Jollof Rice on Instagram, we go crazy with the Nigerian flag emojis because oh my god, they identify with us!

This is not about being a Killjoy
Somehow, the complete failure of Nigeria and our complicity in its failure is more bearable when we point at Nigerian immigrants doing great things in life and say “I knew Femi before he started calling himself Anthony.

His father and I were classmates in Aiyetoro.” It is unclear how exactly this helps our situation but hey, it’s also unclear how chugging the amount of alcohol we do helps either.

Escapism is a key part of our culture, and anyone who dissents must be a non-Jollof-eating, vegetarian heretic, and possibly also an atheist.

Now while all this is painfully cringey to my eyes, some will also point out that Nigeria is not the only country that has a weird obsession with its diaspora population.

Even ‘first-world’ countries like Ireland continue to have deep emotional and economic connections to their diaspora, and in any case Nigerians proudly supporting Anthony Joshua or the NBA’s Giannis Ante…African-sounding-name is basically harmless fun. They’re not hurting anyone. Why be such a killjoy, David?

The reason this matters can be found in a quote that has been dubiously attributed to Russian President Vladmir Putin, where he describes Africa as the place where its diaspora does not invest in, but returns to only to die and be buried with their ancestors.

While there is no concrete evidence that Mr. Putin ever actually made that comment, the truth in it is painfully poignant.

For diaspora success to be meaningful to Nigeria, it must correlate to on-ground results in Nigeria. The example of Somalia shows that having a well-educated, globally successful diaspora while being an absolute basket case are both possible at the same time.

I’d imagine we do not aspire to be Somalia.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Haveyoueatentod: 4:20pm On May 19, 2023
Nigerian ancestry but not Nigerians it's like calling Obama a Kenyan 😂😂😂

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by seguno2: 4:21pm On May 19, 2023
Thryphosa:
Giannis has a Nigerian passport, so he's a Nigerian.

Please what is the meaning of his name in any of the Nigerian languages
Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by seguno2: 4:21pm On May 19, 2023
Haveyoueatentod:
Nigerian ancestry but not Nigerians it's like calling Obama a Kenyan 😂😂😂

You are a very smart person.

1 Like

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Haveyoueatentod: 4:21pm On May 19, 2023
Wagwanbrethren:

Nigerian ancestry but not Nigerians it's like calling Obama a Kenyan
Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Segzy19: 4:23pm On May 19, 2023
Lies! Just say you are ignorant

Go check their profile and previous homecomings

dominique:
These people don't identify themselves as Nigerians, why should we?
Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by ednut1(m): 4:47pm On May 19, 2023
I see a brit and a greek

1 Like

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by airsaylongcome: 4:48pm On May 19, 2023
DatIgalaDude:
Success has many relatives.
The first guy don even convert Adetokumbo to alien name. Still Una still wan claim am.

How does this change the condition of our country?

It's hilarious! Cos with Giannis, he is only accepted in Greece because he's got superskills. Greeks no send Nigerians at all.

1 Like

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by airsaylongcome: 4:50pm On May 19, 2023
Wagwanbrethren:

Answering a Nigerian name doesn't necessarily make you a Nigerian. Giannis and his siblings think like Greeks, act like Greeks and are for all intents and purposes, Greek. They may be Greek with Nigerian heritage. But they and the whole of the Greek community see them as Greeks.

2 Likes

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by Topmaike007(m): 4:51pm On May 19, 2023
GeneralPula:

Akeredolu’s wife..
Adeleke’s wife..
Makinde’s wife..

All are non-Yoruba and their husband are presently Governor’s..
all this state you mentioned didn't vote base on tribalism but na una wey dey Lagos dey always ronu and moreover Adeleke mother is Igbo from Enugu

1 Like

Re: Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List by airsaylongcome: 4:52pm On May 19, 2023
Injera:

Liar..Edo not ibo

Lol! For real? I thought for Yorubas, anyone beyond Ore was seen as Igbo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Francis Uzoho: LA Liga Facebook Makes A Post In Pidgin English, Nigerians React / Wayne Rooney Taunts Same Angry Man City Fans - 5 Years Apart! / The 10 Premier League Records Liverpool Could Break This Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.