Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,921 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos (22441 Views)

US Trains 85 Nigerian Women On Financial Independence / Chinese Govt To Loan Nigeria N80B For Abuja Light Rail / What Is The Zip Code For Lagos Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by switched(m): 9:19am On Sep 28, 2011
Sept. 27, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The first of hundreds of Toronto subway cars that will furnish a new surface rail line in Lagos, Nigeria, has left Canada for the last time, and is now en route to Africa's largest city.

A Nigerian company, Eko Rail, has agreed to purchase 255 of the Toronto Transit Commission's (TTC) best-equipped subway cars for use in a much-needed Lagos Blue Line mass transit system. The TTC is in the process of purchasing larger "Rocket" trains to increase passenger capacity on their lines.

As the electric-powered cars become surplus and are pulled offline in Toronto, they will be individually trucked to the United States for a rebuilding by a team of world-class rail engineers. The cars will also undergo track-width (or "gauge"wink conversion and interior refurbishment before being shipped to Lagos.

The trains have been inspected by the Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola, who endorsed the plan to purchase them following his official visit to Toronto in May 2011.

"The shipment of the first car is an important step in Eko Rail's efforts to support the Governor's transformation agenda for the city," said David Potter, Eko Rail's Chief Engineer. "Ultimately, the Blue Line, with this modernized fleet, will bring massive benefits to Lagos' economic development and improve Lagosians' quality of life."

Each of the TTC cars come equipped with air conditioning, automatic sliding doors, solid-state traction control, energy saving regenerative braking, and a wide range of modern safety features and amenities. Once equipped with a state-of-the-art, GPS-based train control system made by General Electric, Eko Rail's trains will provide faster, safer, cheaper and more reliable transportation for Lagosians.

Eko Rail is entering into an innovative public-private partnership with the government of Lagos State to equip, operate and maintain the Blue Line for 25 years. Negotiations are being finalized and a concession agreement is expected to be signed in the near future. Lagos State has already started to make significant progress with building the rail tracks and stations. Eko Rail is utilizing URS Scott Wilson, one of the world's leading railway infrastructure consultancies, to ensure that the infrastructure is built to global standards.

With financing led by Investec Plc, financiers of more than 25 rail projects around the globe, Eko Rail expects to invest about $400 million to equip the Lagos Blue Line, including construction of a dual-fuel electric power generating station, modern train control system, communications and power distribution, as well as depot and maintenance facilities. When the entire line is operational, Eko Rail expects to attract at least 300,000 passengers per day, with trains running every 5 minutes.

The Eko Rail consortium - led by Nigerian-based emerging markets investment firm Verod Capital - brings together a world-class team of manufacturers, technical advisors, metro operators and public private partnership experts from the UK, Canada and South Africa.

http://lagosindicatoronline.com/Eko_Rail_Trains.html

Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Bawss1(m): 9:42am On Sep 28, 2011
Whats up with the PH and Abuja Light Rail Projects?
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by freezy(m): 1:19pm On Sep 28, 2011
So in simple English all that brouhaha was into the purchase of Tokunbo trains because Toronto peeps are upgrading.

Na wa o

*covers my eyes in shame*
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 28, 2011
I eagerly await their arrival and deployment. Eko o ni baje.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by friedrice1: 7:17pm On Sep 28, 2011
If this is actually done, Fash may be called for 3rd term.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Fhemmmy: 7:20pm On Sep 28, 2011
freezy:

So in simple English all that brouhaha was into the purchase of Tokunbo trains because Toronto peeps are upgrading.

Na wa o

Lol . . u make me laff in Pidgin
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by musiwa48: 2:14am On Sep 29, 2011
mo mo ebi mayor.  electricity ni oma lo.   expect if they want to convert it.

stop complaining for the price they sold it, it is like a gift for the price they sold it., expect if lagos state claim something else.  mo mo cousin of the mayor. it is a give away price, and you should not complain. except if lagos  made up number.  my main problem is that it uses electricity.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by freezy(m): 9:50am On Sep 29, 2011
^^^

Ha Egbon, e ma gbo iye ti won ni awon ra ni aipe yi o
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 29, 2011
It's been a while since i visited Lagos but i really think Governor Fashola is doing Great.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Jakumo(m): 10:12am On Sep 29, 2011
switched:

Each of the TTC cars come equipped with air conditioning, automatic sliding doors, solid-state traction control, energy saving regenerative braking, and a wide range of modern safety features and amenities. Once equipped with a state-of-the-art, GPS-based train control system made by General Electric, Eko Rail's trains will provide faster, safer, cheaper and more reliable transportation for Lagosians.

His Excellency and Kabiyesi, The Alaafin of Canada, Becomerich, of the satellite photograph fame, was NEVER consulted before this rail project was hurried through by the Lagos State government .    The train carriages have therefore been temporarily disabled while still aboard the ship on the high seas,  by electromagnetic pulses emitted from dedicated satellites in geo-synchronous orbit, on the orders of none other than the Alaafin Himself, pending such time as the issue of His royalties remittances are resolved to the satisfaction of all parties.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 29, 2011
This will definitely help in reducing the amount of cars on the road and help with traffic gridlock. I advice Mr. Fashola to make Safety a priority! Them trains don't need to go too fast.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 29, 2011
Jakumo:

His Excellency and Kabiyesi, The Alaafin of Canada, Becomerich, of the satellite photograph fame, was NEVER consulted before this rail project was hurried through by the Lagos State government .    The train carriages have therefor been disabled while still aboard the ship on the high seas,  by electromagnetic pulses emitted directly by dedicated satellites in geo-synchronous orbit, on the orders of none other than the Alaafin Himself, pending such time as the issue of His royalties remittances are resolved to the satisfaction of all parties.

POSTS LIKE THIS IS A GOOD REASON WHY DRUGS ARE BAD FOR ONE'S MENTAL HEALTH! grin
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by otokx(m): 10:20am On Sep 29, 2011
Somethings are not adding up; is subway not underground?
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by WebSurfer(m): 10:21am On Sep 29, 2011
nice 1
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by ochiaha1(m): 10:42am On Sep 29, 2011
This is just great !!!

I doff my caps for BRF smiley

I hope this brings down the cost of transportation drastically, as one train head can carry up to 2,000 passengers.

Also, can someone tell us the average speed of the Train in KM/HR OR MILES/HR?

I am asking the above question because if it takes the Train less than 20 minutes to travel from 1st Gate Festac Town to the Marina, this will be very good as it will enable workers to sleep well (instead of waking up at 4am to prepare for work!!!), have their breakfast at home, see their children (normally they will be asleep when one is leaving for work at 5:30am and will also be asleep when one gets home at 8:30pm every day of the week angry) board the Train at the Station by 7:00am and be at the office desk before 8:00am at Lagos Island or Ikoyi. cool cool
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by blackpanda: 10:46am On Sep 29, 2011
FASHOLA FOR PRESIDENT 2015!!!
This man is light years ahead of his peers, he just continues to outdo his previous achievements!
Alas, blacks are not always dumb!
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by otokx(m): 10:48am On Sep 29, 2011
As usual the gullible are carried away.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by bariad: 10:49am On Sep 29, 2011
Thumbs up lagos state!
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Rhino4dm: 10:52am On Sep 29, 2011
Very soon there shall be inter-state visa to Lagos.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by erico2k2(m): 10:56am On Sep 29, 2011
otokx:

Somethings are not adding up; is subway not underground?
Nah mate, read the first and second lines again, they are going to be converted to surface trains hence the need for them to go USA
but like everything else, its paper talk, lets wait till it lands on our shores lol at least by then I will hate visiting and driving in Lagos.No offence to lagosians.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by francis247(m): 10:58am On Sep 29, 2011
@freezy. BUSHMAN! U no hear de rehabilitation & reconstruction wey dem go in tru 4 US b4 dem go enter Naija?
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Ladipodeal: 11:02am On Sep 29, 2011
is this suppose to run on same track as the NRC track or lag govt building theirs?. Abeg Eko Ile beg BRF to fix and expand the road leading to IKotun via isolo.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by KnowAll(m): 11:19am On Sep 29, 2011
If this is actually done, Fash may be called for 3rd term.

Fashola must do a Putin. Step aside for one term, and be back in the frame come 2019. I believe a good administrator should be there for the long haul if possible. Look at Mayor Andrew Young of Atlanta he was there for almost 20 years. He did so many great things for that city including lobbying and bringing the Olympics to Atlanta.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Whitehorse: 11:29am On Sep 29, 2011
Some people on NL are so ignorant, saying this project is not/will not work.

Go check out the progress people are posting on Skyscapercity.com

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=552858

BRF should run for President come 2015, if Nigerians are smart, we should come all out and support this guy inrespective of religion or ethnic affiliations.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Briz(m): 11:34am On Sep 29, 2011
Thank God I was born in Lagos! One hospital like that in bariga. Birth Certificate still intact.

Even though I was bread and buttered up in Abuja.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by 27naira(m): 11:36am On Sep 29, 2011
freezy:

Na wa o

lmao  cheesy

Abeg leave BRF joor  angry make lagosians first drive tokunbo train before brand new. They must start from somewhere.
Anyway, the Fashola dude dey try, but LAGOS IS BEYOND REPAIR!  cry
Even if they want, make dem bring NASA Spaceshuttle for Oshodi, Lagos go remain lagos
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 29, 2011
freezy:

^^^

Ha Egbon, e ma gbo iye ti won ni awon ra ni aipe yi o
lol=ekk. (erin.ke.ke) in yoruba!
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by RickyRoss1(m): 12:00pm On Sep 29, 2011
THIS IS GOOD NEWS. WHETHER IT IS TOKUNBO OR TEAR RUBBER DOES NOT MATTER. FASHOLA IS TRYING AND DESERVES COMMENDATION,

THE PH LIGHT RIAL IS ONGOING, STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION. THE COMPANY HANDLING THE CONSTRUCTION PART MEGASTAR OR SO, I THOUGHT THEY ARE LOCAL COMPANY I DONT KNOW WHERE THEY GOT THE EXPERIENCE/EXPERTISE BUT I STILL WISH THEM LUCK,
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by jason123: 12:43pm On Sep 29, 2011
Why are people so pessimistic about Lagos?? Has Fashola EVER disappointed you guys?

Orile Iganmu Train Station U/C

Mile 2 Station

Light Rail Route in the Middle of 10 Lane Badagry Road

Proposed Alaba Rail Station

Flyover at Iganmu

Mile 2 station

Construction of the Underground passage way

Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by jason123: 12:45pm On Sep 29, 2011
Nigerians will be fooli.sh not to vote this man as our next President or VP.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by jason123: 12:46pm On Sep 29, 2011
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by jason123: 12:48pm On Sep 29, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cement Business - Start It I Can Help (by Dangote Distributor) / Access Bank Ikotun On Fire (Photos) / The Most Lucrative Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.