Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,900 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? (14083 Views)

Poll: What is your opinion on the UK being the worst place to live in Europe?

I totally agree: 29% (30 votes)
I disagree: 49% (50 votes)
I am going back to Nigeria: 9% (10 votes)
I am considering emigrating elsewhere: 10% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria's 'worst Place To Live' / South-Africa: The Worst Place To Live? / Lagos: The World's 5th Worst Place to Live In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Oct 13, 2011
Unfortunate for the person trying to bring tribalism into this one. Anyway, the UK is still more generous compared to some other European countries. UK is certainly not the worst by any stretch of the imagination.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by southwark: 9:38pm On Oct 13, 2011
Guys,things are really bad in UK. I ve been looking for job for d past 9 months but unable to find one. Life in UK is quite frustrating without any source of income.

I ve my papers,UK qualifications and currently studying AAT (9ja qualification compromised) but , lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

angry angry sad
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by AjanleKoko: 9:42pm On Oct 13, 2011
^^
Have you tried McDonalds, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, or KFC?

Maybe even Subway, Costa, or Starbucks, ASDA, Tesco, Waitrose or Sainsbury's smiley
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by southwark: 9:43pm On Oct 13, 2011
Thanks for d suggestion but i ve tried all but everything seems 2 ve changed unlike those days when employers begged you to work for them.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 13, 2011
oboy jobs get levels ooooo!!!!, forget wat u read in the papers, jobs plenty everywhere, !!!
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 13, 2011
UK is a s***hole, abeg, it's pretty bad, compared to OTHER parts of Europe, very disappointing, Well to do Nigerians actually return home at a higher rate than well to do Nigerians in places like North America ( my personal poll of friends) . Life in the UK is hard after having lived in other places.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by kaykaybaba(m): 10:32pm On Oct 13, 2011
@southwark - true talk. Life in the UK is hard, but then its a choice most of us made either when we decided to come, or when we got here and saw wassup. To the person that said jobs are everywhere, thank God for you, but try stepping into another man's shoes (trying to get a job for 9 months and coming up blank is no joke)
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by felifeli: 10:41pm On Oct 13, 2011
southwark:

Guys,things are really bad in UK. I ve been looking for job for d past 9 months but unable to find one. Life in UK is quite frustrating without any source of income.

I ve my papers,UK qualifications and currently studying AAT (9ja qualification compromised) but , lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

angry angry sad

kaykaybaba:

@southwark - true talk. Life in the UK is hard, but then its a choice most of us made either when we decided to come, or when we got here and saw wassup. To the person that said jobs are everywhere, thank God for you, but try stepping into another man's shoes (trying to get a job for 9 months and coming up blank is no joke)

Guy consider yourself lucky o! I know people who have been looking for job for more than 3 years , no hope. And we all know cost of living is not cheap in UK. Some of us were lucky to get out far before shy.te hit the fan.How do you peeps manage without job ? pla can you tell us how you manage ?
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by southwark: 10:58pm On Oct 13, 2011
^^^^^

I beg,wetin concern me with my qualification,i don bone qualification tey tey. I ve been looking for any job as far back as 6mths ago but unable to find one.

I searched for good jobs prior to last 6mths but couldn't find one and i decided to look for any,
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by kaykaybaba(m): 11:04pm On Oct 13, 2011
the issue is that I have personal goals to meet, and going to Nigeria right now won't help. Man must hustle. Life is horribly expensive, but hey, I'll pay my dues and strive hard. People everywhere have unique challenges they face. Trust me, as much as Nigeria is home anytime, you need to know what some people are facing there as well. I'll leave when its time to go, job or no job. @Southwark, keep hanging in there, something will come through sooner or later (hopefully sooner)
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Redman44(m): 11:36pm On Oct 13, 2011
I don't believe the UK is the worst place to live in Europe. If this assertion is true, how come many people from other EU and EAA Countries always troop into Britain looking for work? Some people just talk without examining the issues on ground. The UK is one of the most tolerant countries in Europe. Just go to France as a black person and see the blatant racism you will face as soon as you step into the streets of Paris, Marseilles or Lyon. It is difficult to get a job as a Black person on France than in Britain. Nationals from other EU Countries swagger into the UK and help themselves to Benefits and other allowances. However, it is hard for Britons to collect benefits in Spain, Italy, Germany, Bulgaria, Poland, Estonia, Latvia etc.  Calling the UK a shithole is very wrong. Britain has a very efficient Transport System and the Underground in London is amazing with new structures being added on a weekly basis. There are many beautiful places in the UK. One thing I like about the country is that old structures and monuments are well taken care of.  Everyday, Westminster in Central London is filled with Tourists who keep taking pictures of the Houses of Parliament, River Thames, Buckingham Palace etc.

You will face cruel racism if you go and live in places like Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Latvia etc. I have observed that Eastern Europeans are more racist than the native Brits in the UK. Another thing is that the East Europeans believe Africans and Asians should be below them in the pecking order when it comes to getting jobs. It does not matter if their English is terrible. It is more about skin colour. Most times, people think I am British because of my diction and the tone of my voice. I speak naturally like someone who grew up in the UK but the truth is that I am 100% Nigerian. Go to France without being able to speak French and see if you will not be ignored by the French People. In England, even if you don't speak English, It is easy to access many services. I have been to places like Bristol, Brighton, Watford, Inner Essex ( South Ockendon, Tilbury, Aveley, Purfleet, Basildon etc ), Kent ( Canterbury, Dover, Folkestone etc ) and I must confess these places are beautiful and well organized. You won't know much about a place until you've lived there. London is expensive because it is the Capital City. It is cheaper to live in places like Coventry, Bristol, Manchester etc. It is all about how we organize ourselves with our finances. Germany is another country that I like and the Germans are becoming more open to living alongside other cultures.  The British Pound is still very strong and Britain made a wise decision in not joining the Euro. I don't agree that Britain is the worst place to live in Europe. Cheers.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by erico2k2(m): 11:46pm On Oct 13, 2011
southwark:

^^^^^

I beg,wetin concern me with my qualification,i don bone qualification tey tey. I ve been looking for any job as far back as 6mths ago but unable to find one.

I searched for good jobs prior to last 6mths but couldn't find one and i decided to look for any,

have you tried being a civil enforcememnt oficer?
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by erico2k2(m): 11:46pm On Oct 13, 2011
Plus have you got any sort of work xpirience? ie worked b4 in the UK?
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by erico2k2(m): 11:53pm On Oct 13, 2011
Redman44:

I don't believe the UK is the worst place to live in Europe. If this assertion is true, how come many people from other EU and EAA Countries always troop into Britain looking for work? Some people just talk without examining the issues on ground. The UK is one of the most tolerant countries in Europe. Just go to France as a black person and see the blatant racism you will face as soon as you step into the streets of Paris, Marseilles or Lyon. It is difficult to get a job as a Black person on France than in Britain. Nationals from other EU Countries swagger into the UK and help themselves to Benefits and other allowances. However, it is hard for Britons to collect benefits in Spain, Italy, Germany, Bulgaria, Poland, Estonia, Latvia etc.  Calling the UK a shithole is very wrong. Britain has a very efficient Transport System and the Underground in London is amazing with new structures being added on a weekly basis. There are many beautiful places in the UK. One thing I like about the country is that old structures and monuments are well taken care of.  Everyday, Westminster in Central London is filled with Tourists who keep taking pictures of the Houses of Parliament, River Thames, Buckingham Palace etc.

You will face cruel racism if you go and live in places like Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Latvia etc. I have observed that Eastern Europeans are more racist than the native Brits in the UK. Another thing is that the East Europeans believe Africans and Asians should be below them in the pecking order when it comes to getting jobs. It does not matter if their English is terrible. It is more about skin colour. Most times, people think I am British because of my diction and the tone of my voice. I speak naturally like someone who grew up in the UK but the truth is that I am 100% Nigerian. Go to France without being able to speak French and see if you will not be ignored by the French People. In England, even if you don't speak English, It is easy to access many services. I have been to places like Bristol, Brighton, Watford, Inner Essex ( South Ockendon, Tilbury, Aveley, Purfleet, Basildon etc ), Kent ( Canterbury, Dover, Folkestone etc ) and I must confess these places are beautiful and well organized. You won't know much about a place until you've lived there. London is expensive because it is the Capital City. It is cheaper to live in places like Coventry, Bristol, Manchester etc. It is all about how we organize ourselves with our finances. Germany is another country that I like and the Germans are becoming more open to living alongside other cultures.  The British Pound is still very strong and Britain made a wise decision in not joining the Euro. I don't agree that Britain is the worst place to live in Europe. Cheers.
well written, as far as Im concern in terms of migrant, the Uk remain the most tolorable place to live,these assesment was based on the Uk EU people's standard of living, they can afford to live with just no savings, we cant, we nned xtra to arrange ourselves and family, somone made mention of German,just check it, howmany Africans are healthcare workers or police over there.and for the guy looking ofr a Job I do agree with the poster who said there is Jobs everywhere, try http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/homepage.aspx?sessionid=26d7f98d-3aab-443a-a5fa-48e21b5e3ba0&pid=3
see howmany jobs are going out there, just sort out your Cv,try and start from somewhere, I have lived here long anough and I never been out of Job, 2 B honest,I just resumed a new Job monday just past and still being asked to come for interview nxt monday n another upper monday, so my guy mix with the right crowd,shine your eye well well.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by kaykaybaba(m): 12:00am On Oct 14, 2011
@erico2k2, what industry do you work in? (sorry, not my intent to derail the thread)
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by southwark: 12:22am On Oct 14, 2011
I have got UK work experience and i have equally tried mail sorter,meter reader,enforcement officer,bookeeper(before),etc but all my effort proved abortive
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Redman44(m): 6:03am On Oct 14, 2011
@Southwark, I know it is tough getting jobs in the UK but I know there are jobs out there. You need to start from somewhere like someone said. We are in a period where jobs are available due to the Christmas Season. I don't know you from Adam and I don't know the type of UK Work experience that you've got. If you don't have Work References in the UK, it will be very difficult to get a job. From the way I see it, you might not be interested in doing some categories of jobs in the Industrial and Hospitality Sectors. I am talking like Bar Work, Catering Assistant, Waiter, Warehouse and Recycling Work, Cleaning etc. Let me give you some links. Some Companies are recruiting extra staff for the Christmas Season and many of these positions become permanent after Christmas:

ARGOS ( 12,000 Staff to be recruited )

www.argoscareers.com/christmas

SAINSBURYS ( 15000 Christmas Staff to be recruited )

www.sainsburys.jobs

ASDA ( 7000 Staff to be recruited )

www.asda.jobs

ROYAL MAIL

www.royalmail.com/jobs-home-page/xmas

DEBENHAMS ( 6500 Staff to be recruited )

www.search.debenhams-jobs.com

@Southwark, here are some websites where you can get recruited easily:

www.gumtree.com
www.247recruit.com
www.caterer.com
www.hotjobs.com
www.totaljobs.com
www.jobrapido.com

There are lots of jobs advertised in Local Newspapers and on the Jobcentre Website. You will be spoilt for choice as time goes on. I know the Eastern Europeans are like ants out there in the job market but with God on your side, the sky is the limit. Cheers.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 14, 2011
If UK is the worst, why not try France then?
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by deebaba3: 8:55am On Oct 14, 2011
Funny Dan!
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Jeezy: 9:14am On Oct 14, 2011
Really? Germany? I thought that was one of the worst places to go in Europe! I really thought they were as racist as racist could be, Ive been to the UK several times, and i think one can survive there if u can save ur money and be frugal. The system allows u to do this, (IMHO) smiley
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 14, 2011
Jeezy:

Really? Germany? I thought that was one of the worst places to go in Europe! I really thought they were as racist as racist could be, Ive been to the UK several times, and i think one can survive there if u can save your money and be frugal. The system allows u to do this, (IMHO) smiley
Germans are not Racists, Infact, the nicest girls i've met in my life are Germans.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Skywalker5(m): 11:01am On Oct 14, 2011
Depends if you stay in london where its over crowded and expensive. Places like hampshire is cool. The quality of life i get here is so cool. No traffic. Get to work within 30 min of driving. No Noise. Easy access to shopping and a whole lots of stuff. Dont need to drive to go out in the vening. Buses are on time and taxis are there. How can you say its bad. I will say it depends on where you stay. Lots of people wants to stay in london cuz its the heart of UK not bothered about the quality of life.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Calradised: 12:08pm On Oct 14, 2011
yes o, i would agree dat it is a tough place to live, because of d cost of living, but i dont think it is d worst place in europe, there are some much less developed countries and d standard of life is much lower
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by southwark: 1:20pm On Oct 14, 2011
@Guys, you re all awesome. I ll try those listed links.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by oziomatv(m): 3:09pm On Oct 14, 2011
No place is better or worst than other, Just that people get comfort fulfilling other people's DREAM, AS IF THEY'RE IN THIS WORLD TO SUBMIT TO ANOTHER PERSON'S WISHES AND DESIRES SINCE THEIR'S HAS LEAST PRIORITY.

Many prefere taking decision instead of making decision that's why they cling tighter to job(s)
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Gbenge77(m): 3:24pm On Oct 14, 2011
apparently.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by justwise(m): 4:30pm On Oct 14, 2011
oziomatv:

No place is better or worst than other, Just that people get comfort fulfilling other people's DREAM, AS IF THEY'RE IN THIS WORLD TO SUBMIT TO ANOTHER PERSON'S WISHES AND DESIRES SINCE THEIR'S HAS LEAST PRIORITY.

Many prefere taking decision instead of making decision that's why they cling tighter to job(s)

Chinese.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by chika98: 4:52pm On Oct 14, 2011
Also I hear that getting a menial job is hard over there if you've got a masters because you're considered to be over qualified for it. Doesn't make much sense to me because if you're willing to work then you should be able to get it.
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Skywalker5(m): 6:14pm On Oct 14, 2011
chika98:

Also I hear that getting a menial job is hard over there if you've got a masters because you're considered to be over qualified for it. Doesn't make much sense to me because if you're willing to work then you should be able to get it.
Depends on how u see it.Its everywhere. Lots of companies are looking for experienced people and dont have time to educate people.I know that for a fact because in the jo i am.I am left to do things on my own.I have to think hard and find solutions online. In Uk here.One thing i noticed is they dont care if you got PHD.they will prefer someone with experience. but some few companies do respect certificates but not a lot.They just want to get on with the job here
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by chika98: 6:49pm On Oct 14, 2011
Sky-walker:

Depends on how u see it.Its everywhere. Lots of companies are looking for experienced people and dont have time to educate people.I know that for a fact because in the jo i am.I am left to do things on my own.I have to think hard and find solutions online. In Uk here.One thing i noticed is they dont care if you got PHD.they will prefer someone with experience. but some few companies do respect certificates but not a lot.They just want to get on with the job here

I guess I see what you mean. I've got some friends in the UK finding it hard to get something even if it's a cleaning job or something. It is different here where I live. Getting a menial job isn't hard to come by. Some Nigerian families here a living comfortably working in group homes and doing care work. As long as you wanna work; they'll give it to you. They don't care if you've got a college degree or not. I live in the US in case you were wondering
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by erico2k2(m): 7:55pm On Oct 14, 2011
chika98:

I guess I see what you mean. I've got some friends in the UK finding it hard to get something even if it's a cleaning job or something. It is different here where I live. Getting a menial job isn't hard to come by. Some Nigerian families here a living comfortably working in group homes and doing care work. As long as you wanna work; they'll give it to you. They don't care if you've got a college degree or not. I live in the US in case you were wondering
well over here in the Uk, the first barrier migrant face is that of papers, if you clear that hudle then it boils down to xpirience.
chika98:

why would one limit themself to them kind of Jobs? the watch word is THINK BIG
chipmunkey:

Germans are not Racists, Infact, the nicest girls i've met in my life are Germans.
So meeting girls =good life, better standard ofliving and good JOB/Job avalibility,?? NA WAH
Calradised:

yes o, i would agree dat it is a tough place to live, because of d cost of living, but i dont think it is d worst place in europe, there are some much less developed countries and d standard of life is much lower
living and working in london is not that bad, after all we have what we call Inner London weighting,ie we earn more than people who dont live and work in london in other part of the country tongue tongue
kaykaybaba:

@erico2k2, what industry do you work in? (sorry, not my intent to derail the thread)
worked with a Local AAuthority until this week now one of teh leading train companies begining with V. grin grin
Re: The UK officially The Worst Place Live In Europe? by Redman44(m): 8:16pm On Oct 14, 2011
@Chika98

A lot of factors come in to play when it comes to getting jobs in the UK. It is not as if Africans cannot get jobs in Britain. In the UK, Agencies have nearly taken over the Employment Market. You've got to go through Agencies if you want to get a job quickly. There are hundreds of Employment and Recruitment Agencies all over the UK. Their task is to get you a job and take a percentage of your wages. The minimum wage in Britain is now £6.08 per hour. Many immigrants also do not have the right combination of documents that can allow them to work. Using fake papers these days in Britain is very risky as there is a high chance that you would be found out by the UK Border Agency that has grown more aggressive in the last one year. Many employers nowadays request for valid Photo Identification such as Passports, Driving Licences and National ID Cards. For Africans and Asians, the Passport is what is requested for immediately. If you're not British ( With a British Accent ), presenting a UK Birth Certificate as your ID might raise some suspicions. You might get employed but your employer will always see you as a cheat even though you might be the owner of the UK Birth Certificate.  So the issue of not having the right papers has stopped many Nigerians from getting employment that pays them decent wages.

Another Factor is that employers need references from your former employers. Even if you're applying for a menial job, they will demand for good References and a sometimes a CRB ( A Disclosure to ascertain if you are on the Police Computer for any immigration or civil crime ). There is a also a lot of competition for jobs so your CV has to stand out. Your CV should be able to convince any employer within a minute that you're capable of doing the job you've applied for. Many Africans in the UK cannot write properly or sell themselves to employers. However, there are jobs in Britain. People should just keep applying and polishing up their CVs. It is better to accept any work given to you by Agencies so that you can have References and some experience when you get a better job. It does not matter if the Agency is giving you 4 hour shifts or 6 hour shifts. Just get the job done and learn new things that will be useful to you later on.  Above all, the favor of God is important. Don't forget to commit your job search into the hands of God. Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Panic As Petrol Queues Surface In Abuja Due To Flood On Lokoja Road. / Truck And An Ambulance In Accident On Benin Tow Gate (Photos) / Flooding: Australian Government Warns Nationals Against Travelling To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.