Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

HELP! My ISA Brown Hens Are Laying Averagely - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / HELP! My ISA Brown Hens Are Laying Averagely (548 Views)

With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa / 22 Weeks Old Layers Not Laying Yet / ISA Brown Point Of Lay Birds For Sale In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP! My ISA Brown Hens Are Laying Averagely by Akinola100: 11:03am On Jun 03, 2023
Good morning dear farmers. I have about 60 ISA brown layers that I and my mom are rearing. We bought them at day old around March last year and six months later they attained point of lay and they started dropping eggs shortly after. We started with the free range system for a period of time but we were advised to put them indoors so as they don't get stressed. We kept them in a deep litter system for 3 to 4 months but we decided to make considerations for a battery cage because the bedding of the deep litter system was very soggy and oozing out lots of ammonia gas. We eventually got the cage a week ago and took all of them inside.
The problem is from the onset, the range of birds produced is between 31 to 38, in some occasions, they lay 39. We only had an instance where they laid 40 eggs around April. This is a cause for concern because isa brown layers are very productive and a good poultry farm should produce 70% of eggs daily. We collect average or above average number of eggs everyday. We have considered so many options excellently like constant supply of water, nutritious feed ( Fed with Top feed layers mash), exposure to sunlight all through the day, good hygiene and management practices and prevention of diseases and parasites. In a nutshell, our chickens are not sick and are resilient. The issue is their daily egg production doesn't exceed past 38. Please what can I do? What are those things that I'm missing out? Are there any inputs I need to put into consideration that I am not aware of. Please I need your responses on this. Thank you very much bosses. smiley

Re: HELP! My ISA Brown Hens Are Laying Averagely by bassdow: 5:53am On Dec 03, 2023
Akinola100:
Good morning dear farmers. I have about 60 ISA brown layers that I and my mom are rearing. We bought them at day old around March last year and six months later they attained point of lay and they started dropping eggs shortly after. We started with the free range system for a period of time but we were advised to put them indoors so as they don't get stressed. We kept them in a deep litter system for 3 to 4 months but we decided to make considerations for a battery cage because the bedding of the deep litter system was very soggy and oozing out lots of ammonia gas. We eventually got the cage a week ago and took all of them inside.
The problem is from the onset, the range of birds produced is between 31 to 38, in some occasions, they lay 39. We only had an instance where they laid 40 eggs around April. This is a cause for concern because isa brown layers are very productive and a good poultry farm should produce 70% of eggs daily. We collect average or above average number of eggs everyday. We have considered so many options excellently like constant supply of water, nutritious feed ( Fed with Top feed layers mash), exposure to sunlight all through the day, good hygiene and management practices and prevention of diseases and parasites. In a nutshell, our chickens are not sick and are resilient. The issue is their daily egg production doesn't exceed past 38. Please what can I do? What are those things that I'm missing out? Are there any inputs I need to put into consideration that I am not aware of. Please I need your responses on this. Thank you very much bosses. smiley

Myself already opened a thread just to ask a question here https://www.nairaland.com/7928399/how-possible-it-isa-brown-sold

Noticed most say they've got ISA-brown when in reality, they hatched whatever they intends selling to you themselves. My research on ISA-Brown shows it's a hybrid whose genetic makeUp is only known to those who invented it, hence, mating 2 isa-Brown chickens, would never produce ISA-Brown chicks.

Have spoken to a couple of dealers who claims they sell ISA-Brown, but on applying Social engineering, found out they either own their own hatcheries, or patronise another hatchery, most of which are all local and imports nothing.

So chances are, what you bought, ain't the ISA-Brown you read about.

of course, there could be other reasons for poor performance including quality of feed, how often they're fed, housing, medication, qualityy & quantity of lighting, etc.

Except one investigates, wouldn't know for sure.

My own is, I still want to understand if the so called ISA-Brown chickens in Nigeria are imported or what.

Have heard about OLAM, CHI, Obasanjo-Farms, abeg those experienced with them, how quality are Layers sold there ?

Do they really sell ISA-Broown ?

if Yes, do they IMPORT, or Hatch themseles ?

2 Likes

Re: HELP! My ISA Brown Hens Are Laying Averagely by Akinola100: 2:28pm On Dec 05, 2023
bassdow:

Myself already opened a thread just to ask a question here https://www.nairaland.com/7928399/how-possible-it-isa-brown-sold

Noticed most say they've got ISA-brown when in reality, they hatched whatever they intends selling to you themselves. My research on ISA-Brown shows it's a hybrid whose genetic makeUp is only known to those who invented it, hence, mating 2 isa-Brown chickens, would never produce ISA-Brown chicks.

Have spoken to a couple of dealers who claims they sell ISA-Brown, but on applying Social engineering, found out they either own their own hatcheries, or patronise another hatchery, most of which are all local and imports nothing.

So chances are, what you bought, ain't the ISA-Brown you read about.

of course, there could be other reasons for poor performance including quality of feed, how often they're fed, housing, medication, qualityy & quantity of lighting, etc.

Except one investigates, wouldn't know for sure.

My own is, I still want to understand if the so called ISA-Brown chickens in Nigeria are imported or what.

Have heard about OLAM, CHI, Obasanjo-Farms, abeg those experienced with them, how quality are Layers sold there ?

Do they really sell ISA-Broown ?

if Yes, do they IMPORT, or Hatch themseles ?
When i conducted my research too, I found out that they were developed in France in the 20th century and thus its genetic makeup and the breeds involved to produce this hybrid like you said remains a trade secret. But what else could these so called isa brown hens be if they are not the real isa brown chickens. If your assertion is true then thousands to probably millions of Nigerian poultry farmers have been scammed or deceived for believing the notion that the popular ISA brown chickens they are rearing are the genuine ISA brown chickens.
Re: HELP! My ISA Brown Hens Are Laying Averagely by bassdow: 3:20pm On Dec 05, 2023
Akinola100:

When i conducted my research too, I found out that they were developed in France in the 20th century and thus its genetic makeup and the breeds involved to produce this hybrid like you said remains a trade secret. But what else could these so called isa brown hens be if they are not the real isa brown chickens. If your assertion is true then thousands to probably millions of Nigerian poultry farmers have been scammed or deceived for believing the notion that the popular ISA brown chickens they are rearing are the genuine ISA brown chickens.
hmm

(1) (Reply)

RA Rice Color Sortor / W180-w320 Cashew Needed / Plantain Sucker Sellers Let Form A Corperate Association About Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.