Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,367 members, 7,836,480 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Am I Descendant Of Igbo Priests? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Am I Descendant Of Igbo Priests? (307 Views)

Traditional Priests In Lagos Curse Men Who Attacked Oba Of Lagos Palace / MURIC Calls For Arrest, Prosecution Of Oro Priests In Ikorodu / Plan To Install Yoruba Oba In Ilorin Not Over- Afonja Descendant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Descendant Of Igbo Priests? by blackpinkgal: 1:58am On Jun 05, 2023
Hello I’m new to Nairaland. I am a Igbo girl born and raised in the United States of America. Due to not growing up in Igboland, I am very ignorant of certain aspects of Igbo culture. I can speak Nwantiti in Igbo but I understand it perfectly fine. Anyways, I wanted to ask someone w well versed in Igbo culture whether I come from a lineage of priests. My Last name has the title “Eze” and I was wondering if it meant something of importance or just a coincidence. I should also add that my father is from Anambra (if that makes a difference or not)
Thanks so much (Daalu)
Re: Am I Descendant Of Igbo Priests? by nnamdi640: 2:39am On Jun 05, 2023
blackpinkgal:
Hello I’m new to Nairaland. I am a Igbo girl born and raised in the United States of America. Due to not growing up in Igboland, I am very ignorant of certain aspects of Igbo culture. I can speak Nwantiti in Igbo but I understand it perfectly fine. Anyways, I wanted to ask someone w well versed in Igbo culture whether I come from a lineage of priests. My Last name has the title “Eze” and I was wondering if it meant something of importance or just a coincidence. I should also add that my father is from Anambra (if that makes a difference or not)
Thanks so much (Daalu)
It doesn't necessary mean that you come from priest linage before you can bear such name. Sometime we give names based on an event that happened. If only you can give me your full last name then I will tell you whether it is or not.
Re: Am I Descendant Of Igbo Priests? by Goodlady(f): 5:06am On Jun 05, 2023
You are not from any priest lineage.
Re: Am I Descendant Of Igbo Priests? by Solsix(m): 8:23am On Jun 05, 2023
It's a common surname in Igbo land. Don't attach any significance to it.
Re: Am I Descendant Of Igbo Priests? by RedboneSmith(m): 9:51am On Jun 05, 2023
blackpinkgal:
Thanks so much (Daalu)

Is your dad from Aguata? Aguata people have a lot of surnames that begin with Eze. The Eze prefix in most Aguata surnames come from the original bearer having taken a chieftaincy title.

If it turns out that your dad is from Aguata, then the Eze in your name could mean nothing other than that your ancestor had a chieftaincy title.
Re: Am I Descendant Of Igbo Priests? by blackpinkgal: 12:47pm On Jun 05, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Is your dad from Aguata? Aguata people have a lot of surnames that begin with Eze. The Eze prefix in most Aguata surnames come from the original bearer having taken a chieftaincy title.

If it turns out that your dad is from Aguata, then the Eze in your name could mean nothing other than that your ancestor had a chieftaincy title.

No he is from Abagana
Re: Am I Descendant Of Igbo Priests? by ewa26: 11:51pm On Jun 07, 2023
wati wafta ok, u understand

(1) (Reply)

A Brief History Of Benin Kingdom From The Immediate Past Oba Of Benin Erediauwa / Great Britain Wins Rugby League’s Ashes / Biwi Se Talaq Lene Ka Wazifa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.