Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Drunk Driving In Nigeria. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Drunk Driving In Nigeria. (703 Views)

Keke NAPEP Driving On Pedestrain Bridge In Lagos / Obama Uncle Onyango Obama Arrested For 'drunk-driving' / Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Drunk Driving In Nigeria. by eyesofgold(m): 3:13pm On Sep 30, 2011
It is very sad to read on our newspapers how people die everyday in Nigeria from avoidable car accidents, This is particularly worrying because these are very much avoidable, Although, we know that accident has it's roots in the wider social, economic, political, security and environmental problem s facing Nigeria at the moment, it is important to know that drunk driving is a leading human cause of accidents in Nigeria. I have witnessed a number of cases myself, those of us who still travel by road can attest to the fact that alcohol is been sold in most of our motor packs, with many commercial drivers have some pints before embarking on any trip. Some drivers cannot even work without drinking. Same goes for Bike riders, almost all of them are drunk as early as 8.00 am in the morning before they begin work for the day. I do not have the exact statistics, but we know all know how many people lost their lives daily in Car accidents in Nigeria and i can tell you that about 45 percent results from drunk driving. This affects everybody, as even when you are drunk or not, a drunk driver can still run into you while you are on your own. " a certain time ago, a driver completely left his lane and entered mine, coming for an head to head collision with me, but God saved the day.

So while we are hoping that our government will fix the wider cause of accidents which will definitely take a long time, i suggest that short term behavioural change interventions be implemented. I think the national assembly should pass a bill to make drunk driving a punishable offence, if its a bill already, then it should be strongly implemented as this will surely reduce the rates of road accidents in our country,

Nairalanders what do you think about this??/

(1) (Reply)

Fire At Mararaba, Around Chicas Off Abacha Road / A New Member / Reconnect With Old Friends Via This Thread.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.