Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

African Music Vs Western Music, Which Is Better? Find Out The Truth - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / African Music Vs Western Music, Which Is Better? Find Out The Truth (229 Views)

Best African Music Performance: Grammys Add Three New Categories / Stonebwoy Begs Nigeria To Promote African Music / Flavour, Gordon To Headline African Music Concert In New York (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Music Vs Western Music, Which Is Better? Find Out The Truth by vicstorm: 10:08am On Jun 18, 2023
AFRICAN MUSIC VS WESTERN MUSIC WHICH IS SUPERIOR?

lol. I've seen too many funny post diminishing those who play african music quite well. This backlash usually come from fellow musicians especially instrumentalist and it is funny.
First of all what is music?
Music is any pleasant sound suitable to the ear.
The opposite which is noise is fundamental during early music days.
However music to you can be noise to another and this is what we learn at the beginning stage of music. This is to enable us respect everyone's choice of music but in reality that is not the case.
What is African music: music having it's origin from africa, too many to mention but just to mention a few.
Makosa
Highlife
Ariaria
Seben
GYRATION
Afrobeats
Amapiano
Etc.
African music in it self has developed peculiar genres now recognized worldwide in it's acceptance.
When played in it's proffesionàl form it creates an atmosphere of happiness and wonder. African music make use of music components and features. For examples. Tempo, time signatures, beats, scales, rythme , grooves,chords, solfa notes,melody, harmony, solo patterns, etc. Also african music make use of general music instruments such as guitar, strings, woodwind, brass, piano, etc. African music in it's uniqueness has created some special unique sounds like the talking drum, the claves, claps, cong, basspot, xylophone, flute etc. This is to show how dynamic african music can be and in it's adapting feature. Let's talk about western music too.
Western music: western music is any type of music coming from the western world ,mostly Europe.
western music is no alien to everyone as it's popularity is vast. Think about jazz, hip pop, blues, rnb, trap ,drill, etc. Just like african music. Western music has all music components embedded in it and has its own unique instruments to it.
No doubt western music has its cool features and also universally accepted and good, the question now is, which is better?
African music or western music.
African music vs western music:
Trying to narrow down this post to musicians and instrumentalist. As earlier said some instrumentalist especially in africa criticize others who play african music and see them as inferior. These days they even bolder than before,but is that the truth in their assertion that african music is less to western music ?
Music ,no matter the type when played in it's proffesionàl level will sound magical and amazing, but when played in it's lowest level may sound dull.
When you see proffessional african music players do their thing you are left amazed and nothing more than to appreciate african music.
Interesting to note that african music has gain international relevance, even being studied in school. African music make use of scales, chords, passing chords, chord replacement,grooves etc. African music is so influencial that recent innovation on the current YAMAHA KEYBOARDS have beats and voices specially made for africa experience. Recently saw makosa, ariaria, GYRATION beats as original styles for psr sx 900 and others.
You can find talking drum, flutes etc now as voices. Even the western world has embraced african music.
Currently african music has influened western music so much that we now have the fushion of both .for example . Afrosoul, afrojazz, trap gyration, blues amapiano, etc.
As a piano player, I've had more engaging contents where I create contents on african music as even the western world are always eager to learn african music. Everyday I get dms from uk, us, italy etc asking to learn african music.
Instead of we africans to promote ourselves In peace we decide to tear it down .
Embracing your african music doesn't make you less a player or musician ,just make sure you do it to the proffesionàl level because that is where the challenge comes in. Music in it's proffesionàl form is always magic no matter the type.
I will leave you here, but think deep
Is western music music actually really superior to african music? When played side by side proffesionàlly my answer is no. They both compliment each other.
(C) vicpiano
First published June 18 2023
you can connect with vicpiano below.
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/vvicpiano/?ref=bookmarks

Youtube
https://youtube.com/@vicpiano

Re: African Music Vs Western Music, Which Is Better? Find Out The Truth by LikeAking: 10:37am On Jun 18, 2023
Op leave useless post like this...

Don't compete in this life...
Re: African Music Vs Western Music, Which Is Better? Find Out The Truth by vicstorm: 11:03am On Jun 18, 2023
LikeAking:
Op leave useless post like this...

Don't compete in this life...
Lack of sense didn't allow you read through.
Read through first .
There no competition in what I posted.
Re: African Music Vs Western Music, Which Is Better? Find Out The Truth by LikeAking: 11:06am On Jun 18, 2023
vicstorm:

Lack of sense didn't allow you read through.
Read through first .
There no competition in what I posted.

I don't balme you, na your type they spoil show for us..

Don't create a post like this agian.
Re: African Music Vs Western Music, Which Is Better? Find Out The Truth by vicstorm: 11:10am On Jun 18, 2023
LikeAking:

I don't balme you, na your type they spoil show for us..

Don't create a post like this agian.

I don't blame you too.
Next time get out of my post

(1) (Reply)

Churches Used To Pay Me Just 5k – Singer Simi Reveals. / 2024 Grammy Awards: See All Nigerian Artists Nominated, Davido, Others / Omah Lay – Holy Ghost Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.