Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,189 members, 7,829,253 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Career Options - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Career Options (268 Views)

UNITY 3D Is The Hardest Engine To Learn, Any Other Options ? / What Are The Various Career Options After Engineering? / How To Get The Selected Values From Many Options Using Javascript (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Options by Davidcorny: 11:44am On Jun 18, 2023
Without too much long talk, I started studying frontend since last year august, I've studied and I'm good at:

HTML
Where it all starts, Only thing to learn more about is aria attributes and accessibility standards, as long as you know what block level the elements you declare need, you're good.

CSS
Vanilla is where I started but I like it regardless, if you know specificity and have a good debugging browser it's decently good.

SASS
I love creating loops and variables with it though I mostly stick to splitting my scss into partials and using variables and extensions to avoid certain issues those loops can cause.

STYLED COMPONENTS
It made me rethink if sass was the best way to write css, I've heard emotion is like sass and styled components so I'll try it, I like this because I can add conditionals and custom react components.

GIT
I know how to clone a repo, set up a local and remote repo, make commits, I use git lens, the rest I google and don't keep in memory

MARKDOWN
I document my code using this on github

NPM
I know it but not node itself.

JAVASCRIPT
Good enough in my opinion, I can dynamically output elements through classes, map arrays of apis to render content. I answer exercism exercises to keep fresh on different ways of solving things.

JQUERY
I know and have used the syntax, though haven't built anything noteworthy with it

REACT
Love it, I can understand why it's an industry standard, react is declarative, you could argue most of react is just functional approaches(outside of classes) to solve issues strung together with control flow statements. Only thing I don't like is how use effect can screw you over when using external libraries. I'm trying to see if it'll be better to create a custom component and have useeffect load up an element through DOMContentLoaded and then use ref or e.target to return it back for proper use as a useCustomBlahBlahBlah.

REDUX
Omoh, I learnt 3 outdated ways of writing react(createReactClass, class MyComponent extends, and importing React in functional components) but none of them hit me in difficulty as REDUX, I am familiar with useReducer and when I saw Redux I said, this is just useReducer with extra steps. Lo and behold, you have to directly import dispatch action creators and you have to extract the state(more like destructure since you're most likely using Redux because your state logic is complex) from useSelector, only to find out this way of writing redux is now old. Anyway, I'll learn the new way when i am free.

APIs
I've done decent things with apis, I've called apis and even know how to secure keys with .env, though not satisfied with the number of API projects I have. I'll do more.

REACT ROUTER
I am decent with router, I can define routes obviously but next is using use history and then slicing useParams and match(). I'll get to this in time

Thanks for reading up till this stage, I still want to learn:
NEXTJS, SVELTE/VUE, NODE, EXPRESS, MONGOOSE, MONGODB, EMOTION, MYSQL, POSTGRESQL, REACT NATIVE, AWS OR A CLOUD SERVICE, SOLIDITY, ELECTRONJS, THREEJS, TRUFFLE AND WEB3 FRAMEWORKS, PYTHON(was my first language, a long time ago), CANVAS, REDIS, DART, PHP WITH SYMFONY AND LARAVEL.

If I can learn 50-60% of these I'll be okay in my mind as I want to stand out with both skills, projects and experience(I'll build some things for family at the end of the year). What are my career options both within and outside the country, I keep seeing #30k a month for devs on indeed.

2 Likes

Re: Career Options by davien(m): 1:00pm On Jun 18, 2023
If this is real, you will soon quit from frustration. My advice is that you do just the node and backend parts and then maybe solidity. Just be aware the more you carry technologies, the more is expected of you, and if you feel exploited you brought it on yourself for thinking you can learn everything.

2 Likes

Re: Career Options by Davidcorny: 1:25pm On Jun 18, 2023
davien:
If this is real, you will soon quit from frustration. My advice is that you do just the node and backend parts and then maybe solidity. Just be aware the more you carry technologies, the more is expected of you, and if you feel exploited you brought it on yourself for thinking you can learn everything.
I was partly playing but yeah, your advise sounds good. The requirements I keep seeing on indeed are getting crazy, some are looking for interns with knowledge of all those skills and unpaid.
Re: Career Options by chymdyx(m): 10:23am On Jun 20, 2023
following this thread as a newbie in frontend dev. pls guided advice will be appreciated

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Choose The Best From These Three / Some Useful Apk Download Websites / Simulation Hypothesis And Simulation Reality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.