Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

What Do You Think About Yoruba Eko? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Do You Think About Yoruba Eko? (1491 Views)

What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People / 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) / Questions About Yoruba Idols Sango Ogun Osun Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think About Yoruba Eko? by fatty27: 10:09am On Sep 07, 2007
I observes that majority of yoruba in lagos had lost touch with their languages. What is responsible for this and any hope for them?

Another observation is yoruba Eko. This adalu language whereby English and yoruba language had to be combined in conversation. For instance, to won ban soro wo o lese lati ma mix everything papo. In fact, won man confuse ara won gan ni!

Let hear your view.
Re: What Do You Think About Yoruba Eko? by naijadiva2(f): 1:19am On Sep 09, 2007
fatty27:

I observes that majority of yoruba in lagos had lost touch with their languages. What is responsible for this and any hope for them?

Another observation is yoruba Eko. This adalu language whereby English and yoruba language had to be combined in conversation. For instance, to won ban soro wo o lese lati ma mix everything papo. In fact, won man confuse ara won gan ni!

Let hear your view.

even though i'm not in lagos, i think that yorubas do better in keeping there culture than the igbos.
Re: What Do You Think About Yoruba Eko? by FayeZik(f): 7:28pm On Dec 29, 2009
@poster
U are right about your observation. Gradualy, the REAL way of speaking yoruba is dying. We all want to speak english (and there is nothing wrong with that) but we are failing to preserve our own language/dialect. It used to be that we don't even speak english fluently until we get to secondary school, now, a 3yr old is speaking english b4 learning how to speak his/her own tongue. Many parents even forbid their children to speak any other language besides english. Hence, it's becoming more difficult for our offsprings to speak our own language Any Nigerian language/dialect actually sound funny or local to them. That is why the very few of them that can speak yoruba/ibo/hausa find it necessary to dilute it with english. What can we do It's the trend. Abi
Re: What Do You Think About Yoruba Eko? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 29, 2009
what's the real way of speaking Yoruba?

People have different dialects.

and mixing Yoruenglish doesnt have to be a big deal grin

or Yoru- something else
Re: What Do You Think About Yoruba Eko? by FayeZik(f): 2:25am On Dec 31, 2009
Yes, tpia It's no big deal, we are all guilty of that anyway. Emi gan o le soro meji without using naijenglish. We are just discussing it sha.
Re: What Do You Think About Yoruba Eko? by excanny: 8:06pm On Jan 02, 2010
even though i'm not in lagos, i think that yorubas do better in keeping there culture than the igbos.

thats because the igbos refuse to live in their homeland. living too much in the diaspora will cause you to lose your culture. It happened to european jewry, until hitler crushed them. I hope the Igbos will learn from history
Re: What Do You Think About Yoruba Eko? by Nobody: 4:40am On Jan 03, 2010
^^ I thought european jewry stood out at the time because they kept their culture.

(1) (Reply)

YORUBAS Are;who Are The Yoruba People? (1) / Which Part Of Your Body Do You Scrub First While Bathing? / What Do We Call This? Yoruba I Hail Thee!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.