Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,316 members, 7,826,253 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? (3860 Views)

Why Do Banks Sponsor Employees For Prison Tour? / Zenith Bank Sacks 1,200 Employees - Premium Times / Employees In Oil And Gas Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by teemoe(m): 12:47pm On Oct 04, 2011
What Do You Really Think Is The Strongest Motivator For Employees?

Good day guys,

I'm trying to find out what you think the strongest motivator for employees are in Nigeria. It is for a project. Thank you so much for your help and responses in advance.

Cheers.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by foladele: 12:51pm On Oct 04, 2011
I believe a lot of people are motivated by career progression/growth
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by yamakuza: 1:28pm On Oct 04, 2011
For a majority of Nigerians in Nigeria, its compensation/money.

For a select few, its fulfilment or job satisfaction.

Recognition comes next, and then maybe work environment.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by teemoe(m): 3:58pm On Oct 04, 2011
nice one guys

but is it wrong to be more motivated by money than any other factor
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by yamakuza: 4:05pm On Oct 04, 2011
Whatever gets the job done, my brother.

At the end of the day, all that matters is a job well done.

Find what motivates your workers, give it to them, get their best and call it a day!
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by iice(f): 5:47pm On Oct 04, 2011
Nigeria? Money.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by yamakuza: 5:55pm On Oct 04, 2011
[s]Ya. Why not?

What motivates you? Primarily? Honestly?[/s]

ok. I get you. That didnt end with a ?
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 7:20pm On Oct 04, 2011
iice:

Nigeria? Money.

I think it is money everywhere. Not just Nigeria. Especially not Nigeria. After all, the current global financial meltdown is not caused by Nigeria.

Majority of employees are motivated primarily by remuneration. Other stuff like 'career progression' and 'fulfillment' can be easily transcribed to mean 'more and more money, period'. It's in human nature for people to want to couch their true instincts with other less crass-sounding monikers. We're not altruistic beings.

I want to be promoted primarily cos it sucks to be everybody's doormat. I call that 'career progression'. Also I can have all the office perks, a nice ride and house in a posh area of town, fly first class everywhere. Then I call that 'career fulfillment'. Yeah right, is that not more money? Or maybe I should say money and glamour, which in essence is still money.

There are a few human beings who are motivated by something entirely different. Think Gandhi, think Mother Teresa. Those people never got paid for their labours, in fact Gandhi got offed for his trouble. grin Guys like those two never asked anybody for money, in fact they gave up reasonably comfortable lifestyles to do really shytty stuff. Stuff nobody else ever wants to do. I certainly do not want to do that.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by iice(f): 3:15am On Oct 05, 2011
yamakuza:

[s]Ya. Why not?

What motivates you? Primarily? Honestly?[/s]

ok. I get you. That didnt end with a ?

Family but thankfully i've passed that stage.  Now it's just my retirement fund cheesy

AjanleKoko:

I think it is money everywhere. Not just Nigeria. Especially not Nigeria. After all, the current global financial meltdown is not caused by Nigeria.
Lets not deceive ourselves.  We worship money.  Other things are just contingencies, or not as important. Our politics, our religion, our relationships, our education, our security.  Not to say that they aren't some exceptions but we aren't talking about those.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by sospecial: 9:44am On Oct 05, 2011
Wages and Salary
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by aniffy4eva(m): 9:52am On Oct 05, 2011
The illusion of freedom.

Freedom from lack/want/poverty.
Freedom from idleness.
Freedom from "bad publicity"
Freedom from whatever fears they have.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 05, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Majority of employees are motivated primarily by remuneration. Other stuff like 'career progression' and 'fulfillment' can be easily transcribed to mean 'more and more money, period'. It's in human nature for people to want to couch their true instincts with other less crass-sounding monikers. We're not altruistic beings.

I want to be promoted primarily cos it sucks to be everybody's doormat. I call that 'career progression'. Also I can have all the office perks, a nice ride and house in a posh area of town, fly first class everywhere. Then I call that 'career fulfillment'. Yeah right, is that not more money? Or maybe I should say money and glamour, which in essence is still money.

There are a few human beings who are motivated by something entirely different. Think Gandhi, think Mother Teresa. Those people never got paid for their labours, in fact Gandhi got offed for his trouble. grin Guys like those two never asked anybody for money, in fact they gave up reasonably comfortable lifestyles to do really shytty stuff. Stuff nobody else ever wants to do. I certainly do not want to do that.

Word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by 2bosun: 12:43pm On Oct 05, 2011
Trust- The only thing that motivates me is my bonus. Ego, Kudi, £££££  wink
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by shumno(f): 1:16pm On Oct 05, 2011
In Nigeria it certainly is money. My work place is an example.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by GoldCircle: 3:45pm On Oct 05, 2011
career growth/progression is it IMO!
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by linsa01(m): 6:28pm On Oct 05, 2011
(1) money
(2) career fulfilment
(3) recognision, etc
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 8:18pm On Oct 05, 2011
iice:

Lets not deceive ourselves.  We worship money.  Other things are just contingencies, or not as important. Our politics, our religion, our relationships, our education, our security.  Not to say that they aren't some exceptions but we aren't talking about those.

So you think only Nigerians worship money?
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by yamakuza: 10:00pm On Oct 05, 2011
AjanleKoko:

money worship might be a worldwide phenomenon, but you are more likely to find a non Nigerian motivated non-monetarily than the typical Nigerian would be.

Case in point:
Black Stars compared to Eagles at South Africa world cup.

Numerous other examples abound.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 11:57pm On Oct 05, 2011
yamakuza:

money worship might be a worldwide phenomenon, but you are more likely to find a non Nigerian motivated non-monetarily than the typical Nigerian would be.

Case in point:
Black Stars compared to Eagles at South Africa world cup.

Numerous other examples abound.

Don't agree.
What about the many people who put their lives on the line during the military days? People like Chima Ubani, even Gani.
I think in every society, most people like money, a few people want to serve humanity. In fact, the most popular humanists of the 20th century, like Gandhi, Mother Teresa, and even the Grameen guy (Mohammed Yunus), are from poor 3rd world countries, not the 'oyinbo countries.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by iice(f): 2:59am On Oct 06, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Nope. But ours is of a different level. Like what yamakuza said, the probability is higher with us.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by yamakuza: 8:33am On Oct 06, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Don't agree.

What about the many people who put their lives on the line during the military days? People like Chima Ubani, even Gani.

I DARESAY THAT MAJORITY OF OUR POLITICAL ACTIVISTS ARE MERELY AGITATING FOR THEIR PIECE OF THE NATIONAL CAKE.

PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT OSHIOMOLE. HOW DID WOLE GET HIS OIL BLOCS?

VERY FEW NIGERIAN ACTIVISTS ARE SELF ACTUALISED. THE LIKES OF FELA AND TAI MAYBE. THESE ARE THE ONES THAT CAN AGITATE FOR NON MONETARY REASONS.

OTHERS LIKE GANI AND CO WERE NOT POOR OR EMPLOYEES.
THEY WERE RICH OR BUSINESS OWNERS AND COULD TAKE THE HEAT COMFORTABLY.

I think in every society, most people like money, a few people want to serve humanity. In fact, the most popular humanists of the 20th century, like Gandhi, Mother Teresa, and even the Grameen guy (Mohammed Yunus), are from poor 3rd world countries, not the 'oyinbo countries.

IT IS INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT NO NIGERIAN FALLS INTO THIS CLUB OF 'GLOBAL ACTIVISTS' .

THE CLOSEST AFRICANS I CAN EQUATE WITH GANDHI AND MT ARE FROM SOUTH AFRICA.

Nigerians redefine the love of money. That is largely responsible for our negative image outside, and the xenophobia we attract.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by violent(m): 9:08pm On Oct 06, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I think it depends on individual, I have worked with a few individuals who could easily earn lots of money somewhere else, but chose a job that offered less pay, reduced stress, and a more reassuring job security!. . . .These are people who could earn up to £300k annually on a trading desk somewhere, but with those jobs come long hours of stress and a risk that someone could easily scream those horrible words (you are fired) from a couple of desks away!
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 12:24am On Oct 07, 2011
violent:

I think it depends on individual, I have worked with a few individuals who could easily earn lots of money somewhere else, but chose a job that offered less pay, reduced stress, and a more reassuring job security!. . . .These are people who could earn up to £300k annually on a trading desk somewhere, but with those jobs come long hours of stress and a risk that someone could easily scream those horrible words (you are fired) from a couple of desks away!

Sounds more like they were risk-averse, not that they didn't like money.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by violent(m): 6:33am On Oct 07, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Sounds more like they were risk-averse, not that they didn't like money.

so you would agree then, that outside money, there are several other factors including the risk attitude of individuals, that explains the motivation of people to take on certain roles?

for instance, an individual might likely not take a job that pays an extra £2000 a month, simply because he loves working with the people he's currently working with, enjoys the challenging nature of the job, the work environment being relaxed and less bureaucratic,  gets to travel around the world often, more holidays a year, access to medical insurance and the guarantee that compared to several other roles, when you wake up the following day, your job will still be there!

An average employee at Google will not leave for GS even though the latter pays a lot much more,. . . .the reason is not far fetched, at Google, the work environment is simply a better home away from home.  Employees have access to free lunch and a sleeping pad! . . . .yes, that's right, a sleeping pad at work!. . .and that's not just about it, at Google, you get to wear your jeans to work, get free haircuts onsite, dogs are allowed, engineers are allowed time off to simply "think" and generate creative ideas, and if you can't come up with one, it's still okay!. . . . (i could go on, but it's probably not polite to bore you)

why would anyone leave all that for better pay which translates to higher taxes?
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 6:56am On Oct 07, 2011
violent:

so you would agree then, that outside money, there are several other factors including the risk attitude of individuals, that explains the motivation of people to take on certain roles?

for instance, an individual might likely not take a job that pays an extra £2000 a month, simply because he loves working with the people he's currently working with, enjoys the challenging nature of the job, the work environment being relaxed and less bureaucratic,  gets to travel around the world often, more holidays a year, access to medical insurance and the guarantee that compared to several other roles, when you wake up the following day, your job will still be there!

An average employee at Google will not leave for GS even though the latter pays a lot much more,. . . .the reason is not far fetched, at Google, the work environment is simply a better home away from home.  Employees have access to free lunch and a sleeping pad! . . . .yes, that's right, a sleeping pad at work!. . .and that's not just about it, at Google, you get to wear your jeans to work, get free haircuts onsite, dogs are allowed, engineers are allowed time off to simply "think" and generate creative ideas, and if you can't come up with one, it's still okay!. . . . (i could go on, but it's probably not polite to bore you)

why would anyone leave all that for better pay which translates to higher taxes?

Yeah.
An average employee at Google would not leave to trek across the Gobi desert, or help orphans in Jaipur either undecided
Comfort is relative. Our stomachs ain't the same size. But we all like to eat, nonetheless.
Re: Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? by yme1(f): 10:09pm On Oct 12, 2011
What motivates people at work in general (Nigerians or non-Nigerians) to me are
Money/bonus scheme
Job satiisfaction
Achievement/fulfilment
Recognision & praise (feeling valued)
Promotion/career development
Job security
Work variety
Involvement and communication
Respect from others
Worries/fears of consequences

After saying all that I feel motivators will vary,
From person to person,
At different life stages/ age
According to the work environment
Relationships with colleagues. Etc

It all amount to what u the employer is willing to do to get your employees motivated finito

(1) (Reply)

Join The British Army / Can I Get Into Oil And Gas With Third Class And Certifications? / Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.