Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,818 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) (1180 Views)

15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) / Nigerian Man Battles Italian Authorities Over His 2 Surviving Children / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Lindalilian: 11:29am On Jul 01, 2023
Nigerian Man was videoed at the Australian Airport Immigration battling the officials as the food meant for his children were confiscated because they were not in containers it was purchased with.

The man said the custard containers were to big was why he turned the custard powder into nylons bags and they are meant for his children.

The immigration who probably thinks the powdered foods were "cocaine" like denied the man from taking the food with him.

I think this type of treatment is meted out to Nigerians only because the man can be seen asking the officials if that's the same way they treat people from other countries and she immigration officer said no.

Watch video below 👇

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r-DthqigzY

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by aylagos(m): 11:33am On Jul 01, 2023
I like that
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by iammo(m): 11:34am On Jul 01, 2023
They don't allow palm oil and many items because of some of this cocaine trafficking developers

Very anyhow people

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:35am On Jul 01, 2023
Such a rude individual. Is it your country. See how he's shouting like an animal.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Lindalilian: 11:49am On Jul 01, 2023
As far as cocaine wasn't detected in his luggage or body, he should be allowed to go with his food I suppose.
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Mindlog: 3:15pm On Jul 01, 2023
I fully support the Australian immigration official, I hope she had it thrashed!

When did custard powder become an indigenous product from Nigeria? Are custard in different forms not sold in Australian stores?

The guy is a troublemaker, hope he was dealt with......flying with custard without its original container, all the way from Nigeria, e neva talk true.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Kingju: 3:27pm On Jul 01, 2023
They should give him his custard, that's his food
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Warmaterial(m): 3:31pm On Jul 01, 2023
Hhmm wahala!!!
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by OkanlawonB(m): 4:58pm On Jul 01, 2023
This guy manner of approach no be am at all. This is very disgraceful. The officers are only doing their official duties, being polite and matured in such a situation does'nt cost anything. Nigeria and Nigerians he is shouting is a further disgrace to Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Nsiehi: 10:31pm On Jul 01, 2023
The border officers are doing their job. I do not think they seized the custard on suspicion of it containing hard drugs, rather, it is difficult to tell the production and expiry dates of the item in it's new packaging. The Nigerian should have calmed down. Custard and similar products are sold in Australia.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by ghettochild(m): 12:53am On Jul 02, 2023
Mindlog:
I fully support the Australian immigration official, I hope she had it thrashed!

When did custard powder become an indigenous product from Nigeria? Are custard in different forms not sold in Australian stores?

The guy is a troublemaker, hope he was dealt with......flying with custard without its original container, all the way from Nigeria, e neva talk true.
U really don't understand bro..
I bought a pack of noodles when I was moving to South Africa...for ease of transporting...had to remove em all from the Carton... so as it won't be classified as extra baggage..
Even at the airport they advise u remove em from the box.....
Now concerning if there's custard in abroad..
Yes there is.. but taste differs
I buy milo here in SA every week...and it taste different from the one manufactured in Nigeria...
So if u don't know anything..just shut up
Yes it would have easier to identify if he had the container but travelers know how cumbersome thing things before when in ur luggage...
Am sure the container wouldn't fit in his luggage hence he decided to transfer em into plastic bags...
Can a Carton of noodles enter my Ecolac traveling bag??
No... I had to remove all 40 packs n put em in the bag

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Mindlog: 1:33am On Jul 02, 2023
ghettochild:

U really don't understand bro..
I bought a pack of noodles when I was moving to South Africa...for ease of transporting...had to remove em all from the Carton... so as it won't be classified as extra baggage..
Even at the airport they advise u remove em from the box.....
Now concerning if there's custard in abroad..
Yes there is.. but taste differs
I buy milo here in SA every week...and it taste different from the one manufactured in Nigeria...
So if u don't know anything..just shut up
Yes it would have easier to identify if he had the container but travelers know how cumbersome thing things before when in ur luggage...
Am sure the container wouldn't fit in his luggage hence he decided to transfer em into plastic bags...
Can a Carton of noodles enter my Ecolac traveling bag??
No... I had to remove all 40 packs n put em in the bag

You can help yourself by first shutting up!

Why didn't you go further, removing the noodles in the 40 packs and tie it up in one "nylon bag"? The same noodles thousands of cartons are being shipped weekly to South Africa from the NAHCO shed in Lagos?

My tastes are not tied to noodles, milo, bournvita, custard etc manufactured in Nigeria but when I do crave for them, there are Nigerian shops here in Cambridge, I can easily go get them there. I guess there are no African/Nigerian shops in Australia that stock that "special custard" his children love. He should have tried that at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi, Kenya.......it is better not imagined!
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by ghettochild(m): 11:08am On Jul 02, 2023
Mindlog:

You can help yourself by first shutting up!

Why didn't you go further, removing the noodles in the 40 packs and tie it up in one "nylon bag"? The same noodles thousands of cartons are being shipped weekly to South Africa from the NAHCO shed in Lagos?

My tastes are not tied to noodles, milo, bournvita, custard etc manufactured in Nigeria but when I do crave for them, there are Nigerian shops here in Cambridge, I can easily go get them there. I guess there are no African/Nigerian shops in Australia that stock that "special custard" his children love. He should have tried that at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi, Kenya.......it is better not imagined!

Now read ur write up. I was actually expecting ur response mentioning nahco.
So for 1 Carton or 1 tin of Custard..
One has to cargo it..
Mumu..
So when u visit home n on ur return u will cargo just 1 Carton or noodles
Ode oshi. Ori e ti daru
How did u think I brought garri with me when I was relocating to SA..??
It was in a clear plastic bag..
I for put am for paint container na or cargo that via nahco
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Mindlog: 11:30am On Jul 02, 2023
ghettochild:

Now read ur write up. I was actually expecting ur response mentioning nahco.
So for 1 Carton or 1 tin of Custard..
One has to cargo it..
Mumu..
So when u visit home n on ur return u will cargo just 1 Carton or noodles
Ode oshi. Ori e ti daru

Mention of NAHCO, shows Nigeria shops in SA do sell Nigeria made noodles.

Why should I cargo Nigeria made noodles or custard when they are sold in many Nigeria/African shops all over the UK?

As for the bolded, I also do work in psychiatry and I get paid to hear such in different languages.....so I will pass you as one though without being paid. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Originalsly: 12:04pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mindlog:

Really? Why would you support the Customs to overstep their duty and treat a fellow Nigerian differently? It is because of people like you that they treat us differently.... people who don't stand up for their rights.
Is someone not allowed to pass with something sold in Australian stores? Must a product be in the original container showing content for Customs to know what it is? She has absolutely no right to confiscate his stuff.... on what grounds? Is it prohibited? If she believes it was not oatmeal ... then she should have it tested but she did not The man did the correct thing ... demand to speak to a supervisor... one has to make himself available.... and I'm sure he will be apologizing for fear of a law suit. Most likely that Customs officer will be removed.

Who really is the trouble maker?
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by ghettochild(m): 12:42pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mindlog:

Mention of NAHCO, shows Nigeria shops in SA do sell Nigeria made noodles.

Why should I cargo Nigeria made noodles or custard when they are sold in many Nigeria/African shops all over the UK?

As for the bolded, I also do work in psychiatry and I get paid to hear such in different languages.....so I will pass you as one though without being paid. cheesy

What's is wrong in carrying a Carton or a 1 tin of beverages?
And then to avoid the cumbersomeness in carrying..u transfer the item into a plastic bag??
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Mindlog: 1:03pm On Jul 02, 2023
Originalsly:

Really? Why would you support the Customs to overstep their duty and treat a fellow Nigerian differently? It is because of people like you that they treat us differently.... people who don't stand up for their rights.
Is someone not allowed to pass with something sold in Australian stores? Must a product be in the original container showing content for Customs to know what it is? She has absolutely no right to confiscate his stuff.... on what grounds? Is it prohibited? If she believes it was not oatmeal ... then she should have it tested but she did not The man did the correct thing ... demand to speak to a supervisor... one has to make himself available.... and I'm sure he will be apologizing for fear of a law suit. Most likely that Customs officer will be removed.

Who really is the trouble maker?

That is not the custom but the biosecurity officer.

The product is custard and when did custard become an indigenous Nigerian food, that he was talking about Nigerian food not being allowed in?

You are bringing in food product that had commercial packaging, with the label of the country of origin, date of production and expiration and most importantly the ingredients, look at the size of the product in question, how bulky was the package that it has to be removed to enter his luggage or reduce its weight, if he must have to travel all the way from Nigeria to Australia with custard?

I fly through some European airports regularly and I have not been disrespected after following their dos and don'ts, so there have not been any need to create a scene to show that I am standing up for my rights.

The biosecurity supervisor making himself/herself available to the Nigerian, is a no big deal because that is part of his/her job description.

They can only fear law suit when they know they deviated from their operational stipulated procedures.

I also do work with disruptive adolescents here in England, they regularly raise their voices and threatening to get me sued for following operational procedures that don't suit them and I DON'T GET BOTHERED A BIT because when the department and external regulatory agency do their reviews, I am not found wanting.
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Mindlog: 1:18pm On Jul 02, 2023
ghettochild:

What's is wrong in carrying a Carton or a 1 tin of beverages?
And then to avoid the cumbersomeness in carrying..u transfer the item into a plastic bag??

I had flown with a carton of Dudu Osun of about 8kg in my luggage and I had no issues at the arriving airport. Travelers must read and know what airports they intend using accepts and does not accept.. Is like flying with the African butter pear (the igbos call ube) well wrapped into Australia and it get seized and thrashed, the Nigeria is screaming racism and discrimination despite the fact the Australian Border Force had already stated what can and cannot be brought in, for those that can be brought in, how it should be brought.

One can easily sort the Nigerian airport officials when departing, know the rules of where you are arriving.
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by ghettochild(m): 2:01pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mindlog:

I had flown with a carton of Dudu Osun of about 8kg in my luggage and I had no issues at the arriving airport. Travelers must read and know what airports they intend using accepts and does not accept.. Is like flying with the African butter pear (the igbos call ube) well wrapped into Australia and it get seized and thrashed, the Nigeria is screaming racism and discrimination despite the fact the Australian Border Force had already stated what can and cannot be brought in, for those that can be brought in, how it should be brought.

One can easily sort the Nigerian airport officials when departing, know the rules of where you are arriving.
Uncle.. he declared it and even ask them proceed to testing it... to know it's not a contraband or drugs.
Why is she refusing to do that??
When they suspect a passenger carries drug they do test it...??
I watch border patrol n see how the work.??
Why won't she call those incharge to have it tested and confirm then maybe they'd tell him it's better he leaves it in the tin container.
So that they'd have to be the ones to open the tin to confirm it's not drug inside.
That man has done no wrong....
He asked them test it.
They shd just do that and confirm it's not drugs neither is it banned food products.
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by ghettochild(m): 2:02pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mindlog:

I think he asked them a question if it was because he was black and Nigerian.. she answered in the affirmative..
So what do u make of that
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Originalsly: 2:05pm On Jul 02, 2023
Mindlog:

That is not the custom but the biosecurity officer.

1. The product is custard and when did custard become an indigenous Nigerian food, that he was talking about Nigerian food not being allowed in?

2. You are bringing in food product that had commercial packaging, with the label of the country of origin, date of production and expiration and most importantly the ingredients, look at the size of the product in question, how bulky was the package that it has to be removed to enter his luggage or reduce its weight, if he must have to travel all the way from Nigeria to Australia with custard?

3. I fly through some European airports regularly and I have not been disrespected after following their dos and don'ts, so there have not been any need to create a scene to show that I am standing up for my rights.

The biosecurity supervisor making himself/herself available to the Nigerian, is a no big deal because that is part of his/her job description.

They can only fear law suit when they know they deviated from their operational stipulated procedures.

I also do work with disruptive adolescents here in England, they regularly raise their voices and threatening to get me sued for following operational procedures that don't suit them and I DON'T GET BOTHERED A BIT because when the department and external regulatory agency do their reviews, I am not found wanting.

As someone who travelled abroad ... and is living abroad ... I thought you would know better. You have not answered any of my questions... why respond and not address them?

1. Did he say custard is an indigenous Nigerian food? ... or Nigerian food?(...meaning it is from Nigeria?)

2. Did it occur to you that most likely he bought in bulk?... because it is more economical? ... that his children like that particular brand? ... which may not be available anywhere near where he lives in Australia? .. and if available it is wayyy too expensive for him? You claim you live abroad you should know sooo many products abroad do not taste the same as those in Nigeria .... Pepsi... Coca Cola ... Ovaltine ... Milo... you name it. Don't you take back products when you visit Nigeria? Why?... when the same products are available in your resident country? You should know better.

3. Is custard powder on the ' do's and don't' list? If yes... then that's all the officer had to say to him and have it confiscated. Is it that contents must be in the original containers? Countries have a list of prohibited items... if intercepted they will be confiscated and carrier likely to be fined. E.g .... in the US beef is prohibited.... cooked or uncooked ... even canned beef. As in What is in this container? ..... food ... Does it have meat? ... yes. .. What kind? ... beef. Beef is not allowed ... we'll have to confiscate this. First time offender... the fine is $300. Second time $1500. There is no guess work when you have a policy.
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Mindlog: 2:34pm On Jul 02, 2023
ghettochild:

I think he asked them a question if it was because he was black and Nigerian.. she answered in the affirmative..
So what do u make of that

Re-watch it, she didn't affirm.

A longer video, showed the guy got so agitated, the federal police got involved and cautioned him, also had to be frisked. The supervisor and more staff got involved and all his ground egusi, ogbono, custard etc tested in their machine and they were cleared of any narcotics, it was given back to him and he quietly packed them back and trolleyed away.

Being calm while going through such process does not cost anything, instead of insinuating racism, discrimination etc....abi no only Nigerians customs, biosecurity officers they search their luggage.

Even some who courier drugs behave agitated, claiming victimization until the narcotics are exposed.
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by blackbriar: 4:22am On Jul 03, 2023
No, I think Customs was bias towards him.
He declared all items and ensured they meet the emtry requirements.
He requested for the items to be tested for narcotics as Customs does for all other nationalties bringnig in thier staple food into Australia.
But for some reson , the lady refused to test and insited in trashing the items. Now that is the BIAS.

Mindlog:

Re-watch it, she didn't affirm.

A longer video, showed the guy got so agitated, the federal police got involved and cautioned him, also had to be frisked. The supervisor and more staff got involved and all his ground egusi, ogbono, custard etc tested in their machine and they were cleared of any narcotics, it was given back to him and he quietly packed them back and trolleyed away.

Being calm while going through such process does not cost anything, instead of insinuating racism, discrimination etc....abi no only Nigerians customs, biosecurity officers they search their luggage.

Even some who courier drugs behave agitated, claiming victimization until the narcotics are exposed.
Re: Nigerian Man Battles Australian Immigration Over Seized Foods & Custard (video) by Aaaaarghmed(m): 7:44am On Jul 03, 2023
Dey shud give him his food abeg.maka why

(1) (Reply)

Air Peace Inaugural Flight At Gatwick, No Water Cannon Salute / Is Anyone Good With Languages? / I Need A South African Visa:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.