Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,700 members, 7,820,445 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

Beware of Access Bank's Small Ticket Loan Trap - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Beware of Access Bank's Small Ticket Loan Trap (1069 Views)

#endsars: Nigerians Call For Boycott Of Access Bank For Freezing Protesters Acco / List Of Access Bank Sort Code In Nigeria (with Branches) / The Antelope My Trap Caught In Akwa Ibom (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware of Access Bank's Small Ticket Loan Trap by heavenmade(m): 5:17pm On Jul 01, 2023
Access Bank's Small Ticket Loan: what you should know

Access Bank has been aggressively promoting its Small Ticket Loan to customers, particularly salary earners, with promises of helping them combat inflation or settle bills. However, this seemingly attractive offer conceals a loan trap with an exorbitant 65% annual interest rate. I fell victim to this trap when I took out a loan that advertised a 10% annual interest rate. I naively believed that the interest would be calculated yearly and distributed evenly over the loan term.

To my surprise, during the first repayment, the interest deducted from my account exceeded even the principal repayment. This left me bewildered, assuming they had deducted the entire interest upfront since the amount debited matched the stated 10%. My concerns grew when I discovered on my Access More app that I still had to pay additional interest in subsequent repayments. I immediately contacted the bank's customer care for clarification and was disheartened by their response.

I learned that the interest was calculated at a rate of 10% on a reducing balance, not annually as I had initially understood. This resulted in an effective interest rate of 65% per annum. In practical terms, if you borrow 100k, you will need to repay a staggering 165k. Repayments are expected to commence from the first month, which can be challenging, particularly if you plan to repay solely from your salary. Regrettably, this crucial explanation may not be provided before taking out the loan.

Therefore, it is essential to exercise caution before considering this loan option. Ensure that you thoroughly understand and can comfortably meet the repayment terms, especially during the initial months. It is crucial to make an informed decision that aligns with your financial capabilities.

Stay informed and proceed with caution.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beware of Access Bank's Small Ticket Loan Trap by Dexpro: 5:25pm On Jul 01, 2023
This is absolutely true.

3 Likes

Re: Beware of Access Bank's Small Ticket Loan Trap by heavenmade(m): 5:36pm On Jul 01, 2023
Dexpro:
This is absolutely true.
It is necessary for people to understand before jumping at it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beware of Access Bank's Small Ticket Loan Trap by yemmit90: 6:16pm On Jul 01, 2023
That is wickedness, even notorious LAPO and co don't charge that much.

4 Likes

Re: Beware of Access Bank's Small Ticket Loan Trap by jideflash(m): 6:50pm On Jul 01, 2023
Wow. Thats loan shark style. Gtb quick credit is the very affordable. Abt 3% a month
Re: Beware of Access Bank's Small Ticket Loan Trap by Bbbwings: 7:02pm On Jul 01, 2023
Dem call me like day before yesterday o
Re: Beware of Access Bank's Small Ticket Loan Trap by heavenmade(m): 7:16pm On Jul 01, 2023
jideflash:
Wow. Thats loan shark style. Gtb quick credit is the very affordable. Abt 3% a month
exactly a loan shark system!
You can imagine taking #500, 000 loan and having to pay back #825,000 to a bank helping its customers to solve their problems.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware of Access Bank's Small Ticket Loan Trap by festaima: 11:12am On Aug 25, 2023
This is very true .Am still battling it now. Even what was depicted on the schedule was not wht i am paying .Like a 419 thing
\

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Need Your H-e-l-pppppppppppp! / Free Browsing With Iwp / Do Animals Date? Love? Marry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.