Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,442 members, 7,846,818 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 01:46 AM

Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty (1001 Views)

Fact About Oduduwa The Ancestor Of Yoruba.history. / Iru Kingdom: The End Of A Dominating Dynasty / History Of All Tribes That Make Up Biafra And Their Connection To One Ancestor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by lawani: 8:51am On Jul 04, 2023
RedboneSmith:
What exactly does "Scientific theology" mean? Isn't that term even paradoxical?

For example, if you cast Ifa to ask what is this person thinking?, what is best for me to do?. What will happen to the world in 2030?, what is the prospect of this marriage? etc etc, you don't have to read it yourself, someone else who is proficient in Ifa can come and read it, other people can also offer perspectives etc etc. That is scientific theism. Totally different from Christianity and Islam.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by RedboneSmith(m): 9:19am On Jul 04, 2023
lawani:

For example, if you cast Ifa to ask what is this person thinking?, what is best for me to do?. What will happen to the world in 2030?, what is the prospect of this marriage? etc etc, you don't have to read it yourself, someone else who is proficient in Ifa can come and read it, other people can also offer perspectives etc etc. That is scientific theism. Totally different from Christianity and Islam.

Oh. There's nothing scienitfic about this sort of thing, sir. It's the same age-old clairvoyance, divination and fortune telling that is found in every culture since the beginning of human history. Only 'liberal arts' people who use the word 'science' very loosely will call this science. "Science" is a very different thing.

If whatever you are doing does not have a methodology which is clearly explainable and which can be replicated with the same results by other people, you're not doing science.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by lawani: 9:30am On Jul 04, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Oh. There's nothing scienitfic about this sort of thing, sir. It's the same age-old clairvoyance, divination and fortune telling that is found in every culture since the beginning of human history. Only 'liberal arts' people who use the word 'science' very loosely will call this science. "Science" is a very different thing.

If whatever you are doing does not have a methodology which is clearly explainable and which can be replicated with the same results by other people, you're not doing science.

Anything done with methodology that can be taught other people is using the scientific method. Astrology, numerology, ouija board reading, horoscope reading, Ifa and etc. All these things have to be learnt like a university degree before you become proficient and all is magic. They are different from people who claim to hear voices in their head but can not show people how. If you teach people skill, that is not a religion, it is an academic theology

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by RedboneSmith(m): 9:36am On Jul 04, 2023
lawani:

Anything done with methodology that can be taught other people is using the scientific method. Astrology, numerology, ouija board reading, horoscope reading, Ifa and etc

Lol. Like I said, no actual scientist worth his salt will call these things science. None. These things are no different from the ancient Chinese using hot metals to make cracks on tortoise shells and trying to read the will of the ancestors from the burn cracks.
Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by lawani: 9:40am On Jul 04, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Lol. Like I said, no actual scientist worth his salt will call these things science. None. These things are no different from the ancient Chinese using hot metals to make cracks on tortoise shells and trying to read the will of the ancestors from the burn cracks.

Yes they can do that. Anyone can do that if they have a blue print for receiving such messages and pray first to the ancestors for guidance and such an approach is academic. Religion however, most of them were founded by people hearing voices in their head.
Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by Probz(m): 10:10am On Jul 04, 2023
lawani:

Anything done with methodology that can be taught other people is using the scientific method. Astrology, numerology, ouija board reading, horoscope reading, Ifa and etc. All these things have to be learnt like a university degree before you become proficient and all is magic. They are different from people who claim to hear voices in their head but can not show people how. If you teach people skill, that is not a religion, it is an academic theology

Horoscope reading? Are you serious?
Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by RedboneSmith(m): 12:26pm On Jul 04, 2023
Probz:

Horoscope reading? Are you serious?
Leave am. 😂

Oga Lawani, until the people practising all these arts begin to publish their methodologies and results in papers and journals for people to follow their processes. And until people around the world have read their methodologies and been able to independently replicate the results many times over and proven that statistically they work, these things remain outside the domain of science, no matter how you choose to see them.

That's what separates science from magic. If a scientist in Spain does ABC in the lab and gets XYZ result. He should be able to publish his methodology and findings. And other scientists in Japan, Australia, Sweden, Argentina, Mexico, South Africa...all around the world...should be able to follow the methodology and arrive at the same results. That's how science works.

Horoscope readings that are wrong more than half the time is what you're calling a science. Lmao.
Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by lawani: 12:53pm On Jul 04, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Leave am. 😂

Oga Lawani, until the people practising all these arts begin to publish their methodologies and results in papers and journals for people to follow their processes. And until people around the world have read their methodologies and been able to independently replicate the results many times over and proven that statistically they work, these things remain outside the domain of science, no matter how you choose to see them.

That's what separates science from magic. If a scientist in Spain does ABC in the lab and gets XYZ result. He should be able to publish his methodology and findings. And other scientists in Japan, Australia, Sweden, Argentina, Mexico, South Africa...all around the world...should be able to follow the methodology and arrive at the same results. That's how science works.

Horoscope readings that are wrong more than half the time is what you're calling a science. Lmao.

But that is what they have been doing with Ifa in Brazil, Cuba and recently the USA, it is the national theology of Cuba, in Brazil, they are most proficient, search online and you see Harvard and other universities having Ifa journals, it only remains to be issuing formal degrees in conventional universities and that will start happening very soon as it becomes a sort of chartered profession

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by RedboneSmith(m): 1:04pm On Jul 04, 2023
lawani:

But that is what they have been doing with Ifa in Brazil, Cuba and recently the USA, it is the national theology of Cuba, in Brazil, they are most proficient, search online and you see Harvard and other universities having Ifa journals, it only remains to be issuing formal degrees in conventional universities and that will start happening very soon as it becomes a sort of chartered profession

Ifa is spreading to the Americas as a religion. The papers written on Ifa are religious papers. The same way theologians write paper about theology and publish them in theology journals. They are not scientific papers in the way a physics paper is.

Most papers on Ifa focus on its literary value as poetry or on its binary method. The Bible contains rich literary passages and chapters of great philosophical value, but no one is making the argument that the Bible or Christianity is a science. Except for nutters.

Point me to one peer-reviewed paper that explains how ifa can be used to predict anything. The paper must have a methodology, and I should be able to get palm nuts or cowries, follow the methodology and get statistically significant results.
Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by lawani: 1:57pm On Jul 04, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Ifa is spreading to the Americas as a religion. The papers written on Ifa are religious papers. The same way theologians write paper about theology and publish them in theology journals. They are not scientific papers in the way a physics paper is.

Most papers on Ifa focus on its literary value as poetry or on its binary method. The Bible contains rich literary passages and chapters of great philosophical value, but no one is making the argument that the Bible or Christianity is a science. Except for nutters.

Point me to one peer-reviewed paper that explains how ifa can be used to predict anything. The paper must have a methodology, and I should be able to get palm nuts or cowries, follow the methodology and get statistically significant results.

An oracle anywhere is used to predict things. Tarot cards, Ouija boards and etc are used to predict things. An octopus was used to predict things to a high degree of accuracy during a football tournament. I am surprised you don't know that oracles are used to mine information much like google. If you are proficient in using any oracle, it is not different from having a degree in any science discipline. IFA is poetry but those poetries are grouped under 256 signs and you can use them to solve basically any problem based on your level of proficiency. A rose by any other name will smell as sweet, therefore those calling Ifa a religion are wrong. It is an academic theology, a science based theology. The religions are those that are rigid, ridiculous and antagonistic to reason, debate, innovation and change. You can not group Ifa, Hinduism, Buddhism, Maiguzuwa, Shintoism, Dibia and etc under the same heading as Christianity and Islam. Christianity and Islam are the only religions for being resistant to innovation, debate and change. If Ifa is a religion then science also is religion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by davidnazee: 8:11pm On Jul 04, 2023
lawani:

Since when did divination abi na witchcraft become science?
Native doctor throw stones yoruba call am scientific theism lol..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by davidnazee: 8:16pm On Jul 04, 2023
lawani:

An oracle anywhere is used to predict things. Tarot cards, Ouija boards and etc are used to predict things. An octopus was used to predict things to a high degree of accuracy during a football tournament. I am surprised you don't know that oracles are used to mine information much like google. If you are proficient in using any oracle, it is not different from having a degree in any science discipline. IFA is poetry but those poetries are grouped under 256 signs and you can use them to solve basically any problem based on your level of proficiency. A rose by any other name will smell as sweet, therefore those calling Ifa a religion are wrong. It is an academic theology, a science based theology. The religions are those that are rigid, ridiculous and antagonistic to reason, debate, innovation and change. You can not group Ifa, Hinduism, Buddhism, Maiguzuwa, Shintoism, Dibia and etc under the same heading as Christianity and Islam. Christianity and Islam are the only religions for being resistant to innovation, debate and change. If Ifa is a religion then science also is religion.

How many of your problems have you solved using Ifa?
You have to live by example not just talk..
Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by lawani: 8:51pm On Jul 04, 2023
davidnazee:

How many of your problems have you solved using Ifa?
You have to live by example not just talk..

Which problem did I tell you I have which Ifa is not able to solve?. I routinely use Ifa to solve any problem I wish to solve. Do you know me from anywhere or why did you ask that I live by example?. You are very uncouth.
Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by davidnazee: 9:33pm On Jul 04, 2023
lawani:

Which problem did I tell you I have which Ifa is not able to solve?. I routinely use Ifa to solve any problem I wish to solve. Do you know me from anywhere or why did you ask that I live by example?. You are very uncouth.

If you are consulting oracle and using native doctor stones to solve your problems I sorry for you. Your problems are spiritual.. village people dey after you..
Re: Who Is The Ancestor Of The Current Benin Dynasty by lawani: 9:39pm On Jul 04, 2023
davidnazee:

If you are consulting oracle and using native doctor stones to solve your problems I sorry for you. Your problems are spiritual.. village people dey after you..

It is why I said you are uncouth and without a proper upbringing.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbos And The Business Gene / Left Handed Taboo / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.