Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,940 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training (34193 Views)

Gallant Soldiers Sit On Their Head Inside A Dirty Water During Military Training / American Military Training Is As Inhuman As That Of Nigerian Army- Pictures / Drama As Scared Nigerian Cadet Refuses To Jump During Military Training. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Racoon(m): 1:08pm On Jul 04, 2023
Confirm barrack boy! Twale for you gallant boy. I remember with nostalgic feelings Akim, Kalanpazi, Dodan, Abakpa, Mokola, Barracks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by NigerianAngelo(m): 1:14pm On Jul 04, 2023
Chatinent,

Were up to half of the recruits Christians?
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Nobleou(m): 1:15pm On Jul 04, 2023
Stupid suffer head work...
Na mumu the join Nigeria army

Modified you the guard officer wife and children but your own family no get guard...
You d drive officer wife go market but u the shout for ur wife say food no done on time for huz...
E plenty gon, i no fit mention

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by ryloy: 1:16pm On Jul 04, 2023
chatinent:
Hi everyone,,, so this is my experience joining the Nigerian Army, batch 13NA regular intake.

Growing up in those days, I think I had a thing for the military...plus that's what my dad loved doing. Having stayed in the barracks half my life, I grew accustomed to the way and manner the system works.

So it was 2013, and I picked the form...although, with a modicum of apathy.

One thing about this phase is that even as you haven't joined, you'd start feeling like a soldier already! You go dey assume! You'd even begin to purchase okrika khaki pants and singlets...you know, after all, that's where you are going. We were already clearing people's doubts, and chawoosing those LASTMA boys you know.😌

Okay okay, time don reach. We proceeded to partake in the aptitude test, which served as the initial stage of screening within the confines of the barracks, followed by the subsequent pre-medical evaluations. Indeed, I successfully achieved a favorable outcome due to my exceptional intellectual acumen, and I possessed a considerable stature and exhibited remarkable dexterity. Don't believe me, it was through connections!😊😜

So time don dey reach to enter Depot N.A..that's the place where soldiers are made in Kaduna. That is the very crucible in which men are forged. A few acquaintances who were aware of my shortlisting had already commenced offering me counsel and expressing their condolences through the medium of proverbs. Lol. And there was Nduka. Nduka who indelibly etched an event within the recesses of my memory, destined to endure for the entirety of my mortal existence.

Nduka consistently showed an aura of maturity, rendering him a sagacious individual in my perception. On the eve of my imminent departure, he imparted a cunning stratagem to endure the arduous conditions when I get to Depot. He expressed the notion that throughout the duration of our training, it is imperative that I refrain from exhibiting any signs of intellectual lethargy or weakness. That if I wanted to get a quick ticket to the next phase and be seen as one who is fit. He said, assuming I was doing a frog jump or sth else, I should summon courage and refuse to continue. And the event that the soldier attempts to compel my compliance through the exertion of physical coercion, that I should attack and adopt a defensive stance and engage in a counteroffensive maneuver to the soldier. His words were laced with salt.

I was like "attack? Bro, that one na die na." He was like "funny you, do you think it's everyone who does the whole training? How do you think some soldiers are promoted fast before the others? It's how rugged you are and how you show it that will make them choose you fast from the weaklings. One oga will just call them to bring you out and bro, you are now very qualified because of the courage. E dey happen steady ". Hmm, I pondered over it. Well, it sounded a bit realistic.

Depot N.A.

The bus has just arrived the gate of the great Depot. Let's overlook what transpired during the trip and focus on this arrival. Next shout we heard was 'FALL IN.'

We were forced to carry our luggage while doing frog jumps to enter the gate. That was the slowest moment on my life. And if you tried to cheat the drill, you'll start again after being beaten mercilessly.

There was this Miss Pepeye trailing behind me who was lugging around a lot of heavy luggage. She was so upset by the soldiers that she abandoned her belongings and fled to the opposite side of the road, where she knelt down and begged while crying. The expression on my grave face was supposed to be one of laughter, but I had just beaten myself. At the very least, watching the drama was entertaining.

The 'faithful' day..

Long story short, we were "on planting." In military, to go on planting is one of the most difficult drills. You will literary be upside down and it will take no minutes before blood starts rushing to your head. In order words, you are upside down but standing on your head.

Omo, I don dey feel tears pouring from my side eyes but I wasn't crying. This drill is coming after we were already punished because sb murmured while the MWOII (Master Warrant Officer) was talking. My body was literally burning and we still had to go on planting. Since I was fair in complexion, it was another bad omen. Fair people in Depot are usually used as "white fowls" or scapegoats as you call it. Those soldiers enjoy seeing red veins or blood on your skin.

So, I was still on planting and in that position upside down, I saw a soldier still beating some others on planting either because they were shaking miserably or for sth else. I was deliberately if this military was even worth it. Abi no bi to just run? I looked at the fence and it looked jump-able. After all, they don't pay well. I was just looking for the perfect excuse for the nearest exit and to solidify my reasons to hang my boots.

It was that moment I remembered Martins who was in a local vigilante in my street who told me to roll in mud water for no just reason because he felt I was haughty. I swore to damage him when I came out. As I was thinking all this, I also remembered how Nduka advised me to not pay evil with evil when I finally pass out from the training. In mid-thoughts, I remembered Nduka’s advice—the game changer!

Don't forget I was still planting my head on the ground. My neck was about to break cos we have been on this for about 15mins. As I tried to adjust a bit to accommodate the pain with another side of my head, this soldier kicked me on my shoulders...a missed hit that should have been my neck. Omo, the whole advice from Nduka flashed me and in light speed, I came down from the drill and pushed the soldier so hard that he fell. And I charged towards him. To be honest, I didn't even know why I charged cos I didn't even charge to hit him or punch. I realised I just charged to make him remain on the floor.

To cut the story short, ha, Nduka no tell me everything wey fit happen to me o. The oga there told them to single me out...which Nduka actually said...but it was the opposite. The beating I received that day and the days that followed, only God knew how I survived it. Till date, I have some of the scars on my body.

It was not easy at all.

Have you ever experienced sth similar? Kindly share.

Zaria, Kaduna State. Not Kaduna

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by crossbreedwears(m): 1:16pm On Jul 04, 2023
Im glad you grew up in zaria. Well, everything in this life is based on choice. Most parents that sent their children to NMS is choice while most that dashed away from NMS is still choice. I know so many people that after NMS and just 5 years in Unit, they never returned while some continued with army work while some fot admitted into Academy. Everything is based on choice and not the training that you think it's brutal. It's just good to have a military experience because it will help me scale a lot of things in life. By the way 2013 NA should be 70RI because 2013 NA has two batch
abufadllullah:

Grew up and breed in Zaria. Precisely around Jushi, the direct settlement after NMS!. Attended Command Children School Zaria NMS barrack! See basically spent my Childhood around Soldiers and Khaki men!. I have no reasons whatsoever, to just wake up one morning and decide that it is the Army I Want to join!. Don't know why, maybe it is because I have seen how these guys are brutalized and demean all in the name of toughen up and mould into a man!...
By the way why did you leave the Army??

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by crossbreedwears(m): 1:17pm On Jul 04, 2023
Are you an Ex Boy?
chatinent:

You were an exboy?
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by MS247: 1:18pm On Jul 04, 2023
cool

My elder brother a very hard man, stubborn to core got similar experience at Naval training college Onne

They almost finished my brother in guard room

I still have the VHS tapes over ten years after and their magazine in my dad's archive

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by windvane(m): 1:21pm On Jul 04, 2023
chatinent:

You na 70?
I'm not there anymore, anyways.
You made me remember secondary school days...AFSS....joined the cadet in 1992,that was like year 2.the drills were hell,I could remember an aircommodore's(1 star general) son fainted on drills,his dad came to school the next day and because our commandant was a squadron leader(major general),he gave both the RSM and commandant serious warning.one girl was slapped and she fainted,lately died in hospital,she was a sickle cell patient.i was lucky not go through heavy drills because I was playing the beagle for the color party...I love the military but I was lucky not to join.....seen so many posters of those that got into NDA 2000/01 wey don die for theatre for sambisa forest.My set was the last to use a real riffle for parades.....

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by AImiron: 1:24pm On Jul 04, 2023
Why i go join Nigerian Army or any Army when im not mad. I don't envy em at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Rainbow219(m): 1:24pm On Jul 04, 2023
Plz continue this is not the end of your story. And you should learn one thing in life, not all advices are considerable grin grin

6 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by olamilarks(m): 1:25pm On Jul 04, 2023
chatinent, I remember the last NN form I filled, it has a section where your parents signed your life and death to the state!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by davillian(m): 1:25pm On Jul 04, 2023
GeneralPula:

When it comes to military training, it’s almost brutal everywhere on earth..

I watched some video clip of USA training their Soldiers! Omo, I open mouth!

Some soldiers do die during training self..
You will never see a us soldier using sticks or pipe to beat recruit
They are just drills that can aid your survival in war zone or drills that can save you when you all alone....
I watched a US marine bring down 4 guys who attacked him after hitting his car in lagos
Now can your average Nigerian soldiers do that ?

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Chibuzoripob: 1:26pm On Jul 04, 2023
grin grin funny. I just Dey laff here. Chatinent,I don Dey reason am say u be security personnel b4.May host of heaven protect u
chatinent:
Hi everyone,,, so this is my experience joining the Nigerian Army, batch 13NA regular intake.

Growing up in those days, I think I had a thing for the military...plus that's what my dad loved doing. Having stayed in the barracks half my life, I grew accustomed to the way and manner the system works.

So it was 2013, and I picked the form...although, with a modicum of apathy.

One thing about this phase is that even as you haven't joined, you'd start feeling like a soldier already! You go dey assume! You'd even begin to purchase okrika khaki pants and singlets...you know, after all, that's where you are going. We were already clearing people's doubts, and chawoosing those LASTMA boys you know.😌

Okay okay, time don reach. We proceeded to partake in the aptitude test, which served as the initial stage of screening within the confines of the barracks, followed by the subsequent pre-medical evaluations. Indeed, I successfully achieved a favorable outcome due to my exceptional intellectual acumen, and I possessed a considerable stature and exhibited remarkable dexterity. Don't believe me, it was through connections!😊😜

So time don dey reach to enter Depot N.A..that's the place where soldiers are made in Kaduna. That is the very crucible in which men are forged. A few acquaintances who were aware of my shortlisting had already commenced offering me counsel and expressing their condolences through the medium of proverbs. Lol. And there was Nduka. Nduka who indelibly etched an event within the recesses of my memory, destined to endure for the entirety of my mortal existence.

Nduka consistently showed an aura of maturity, rendering him a sagacious individual in my perception. On the eve of my imminent departure, he imparted a cunning stratagem to endure the arduous conditions when I get to Depot. He expressed the notion that throughout the duration of our training, it is imperative that I refrain from exhibiting any signs of intellectual lethargy or weakness. That if I wanted to get a quick ticket to the next phase and be seen as one who is fit. He said, assuming I was doing a frog jump or sth else, I should summon courage and refuse to continue. And the event that the soldier attempts to compel my compliance through the exertion of physical coercion, that I should attack and adopt a defensive stance and engage in a counteroffensive maneuver to the soldier. His words were laced with salt.

I was like "attack? Bro, that one na die na." He was like "funny you, do you think it's everyone who does the whole training? How do you think some soldiers are promoted fast before the others? It's how rugged you are and how you show it that will make them choose you fast from the weaklings. One oga will just call them to bring you out and bro, you are now very qualified because of the courage. E dey happen steady ". Hmm, I pondered over it. Well, it sounded a bit realistic.

Depot N.A.

The bus has just arrived the gate of the great Depot. Let's overlook what transpired during the trip and focus on this arrival. Next shout we heard was 'FALL IN.'

We were forced to carry our luggage while doing frog jumps to enter the gate. That was the slowest moment on my life. And if you tried to cheat the drill, you'll start again after being beaten mercilessly.

There was this Miss Pepeye trailing behind me who was lugging around a lot of heavy luggage. She was so upset by the soldiers that she abandoned her belongings and fled to the opposite side of the road, where she knelt down and begged while crying. The expression on my grave face was supposed to be one of laughter, but I had just beaten myself. At the very least, watching the drama was entertaining.

The 'faithful' day..

Long story short, we were "on planting." In military, to go on planting is one of the most difficult drills. You will literary be upside down and it will take no minutes before blood starts rushing to your head. In order words, you are upside down but standing on your head.

Omo, I don dey feel tears pouring from my side eyes but I wasn't crying. This drill is coming after we were already punished because sb murmured while the MWOII (Master Warrant Officer) was talking. My body was literally burning and we still had to go on planting. Since I was fair in complexion, it was another bad omen. Fair people in Depot are usually used as "white fowls" or scapegoats as you call it. Those soldiers enjoy seeing red veins or blood on your skin.

So, I was still on planting and in that position upside down, I saw a soldier still beating some others on planting either because they were shaking miserably or for sth else. I was deliberately if this military was even worth it. Abi no bi to just run? I looked at the fence and it looked jump-able. After all, they don't pay well. I was just looking for the perfect excuse for the nearest exit and to solidify my reasons to hang my boots.

It was that moment I remembered Martins who was in a local vigilante in my street who told me to roll in mud water for no just reason because he felt I was haughty. I swore to damage him when I came out. As I was thinking all this, I also remembered how Nduka advised me to not pay evil with evil when I finally pass out from the training. In mid-thoughts, I remembered Nduka’s advice—the game changer!

Don't forget I was still planting my head on the ground. My neck was about to break cos we have been on this for about 15mins. As I tried to adjust a bit to accommodate the pain with another side of my head, this soldier kicked me on my shoulders...a missed hit that should have been my neck. Omo, the whole advice from Nduka flashed me and in light speed, I came down from the drill and pushed the soldier so hard that he fell. And I charged towards him. To be honest, I didn't even know why I charged cos I didn't even charge to hit him or punch. I realised I just charged to make him remain on the floor.

To cut the story short, ha, Nduka no tell me everything wey fit happen to me o. The oga there told them to single me out...which Nduka actually said...but it was the opposite. The beating I received that day and the days that followed, only God knew how I survived it. Till date, I have some of the scars on my body.

It was not easy at all.

Have you ever experienced sth similar? Kindly share.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by fineboynl(m): 1:27pm On Jul 04, 2023
Sadly Nigeria still operate the same old way. That's not how modern soldier are trained.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Storypot: 1:27pm On Jul 04, 2023
After religion and tribal slurs, Grammar is one of the problems we have as Nigerians. rubbish, rubishlesness!!

5 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 04, 2023
I'll rather work in a mortuary than join the Nigerian Army.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 04, 2023
Storypot:
After religion and tribal slurs, Grammer is one of the problems we have as Nigerians. rubbish, rubishlesness!!

You're right.

"Grammer" is indeed one of our problems as a people.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Lanshile(m): 1:32pm On Jul 04, 2023
Im also an ex commando (cdssi) odogbo
I was suppose to join the military by enrolling in NDA but my waec was really bad that year
Most of my colleagues joined then
Some went through NDA while the rest joined through recruitment
After doing my GCE Boko Haram have started dealing with the soldiers really much
I lost some close friends which made me decided not to join again
A lot of soldiers in wanted me and my set to join the military cos we later became really close to some of the soldiers but Im not joining again age isn't on my side anymore and I don't have that passion again

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by bigiyaro(m): 1:34pm On Jul 04, 2023
Nigeria Army Depot: The place they turn fine young men to animalistic beings with any human sympathy, especially the rank and file. You see normal kids going in and coming out with lopsided phycology, terrorising the very people they are meant to protect.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Faithful007: 1:34pm On Jul 04, 2023
GeneralPula:

I watched some video clip of USA training their Soldiers! Omo, I open mouth!

This is false.

As a drill instructor in the US Military, you cannot physically abuse anyone. Physical training like runs and push-ups are different from punishments. No one is forced to do anything against his will in training.

If you can't meet the physical requirements you'll be disqualified. Stressing one beyond what he/she can take or directly hitting someone is abuse and not training.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by kstyle2(m): 1:34pm On Jul 04, 2023
In the US army training, use of physical force have been stopped. We need to stop these crude methods of trainings. It's outdated

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by DlegendofGarden(m): 1:36pm On Jul 04, 2023
You joined the highest fraternity in the country which is the military
Weldon
Keep protecting the nation
God will honour you in due time

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by stacyadams: 1:37pm On Jul 04, 2023
chatinent:

That was the only point I wanted to make.

But truly speaking, they only maltreat recruits there. Too much beating is not standard training. To them, they are removing the civilian blood..but that's not the way the whites training. Once opportune to go on peace keeping abroad, you'll see the difference.
....there is always a difference between here and Yankee....we here still dey 15th century and Yankee don enter 22nd century grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Storypot: 1:37pm On Jul 04, 2023
Buddha3:

You're right.

"Grammer" is indeed one of our problems as a people.

i fixed the error, better fix your mentions too or you'd be looking so stupid!! still one of the problems i aforementioned

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by stacyadams: 1:39pm On Jul 04, 2023
kstyle2:
In the US army training, use of physical force have been stopped. We need to stop these crude methods of trainings. It's outdated
everything about us here is outdated bro....

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by seandurse(m): 1:40pm On Jul 04, 2023
Oyinbo ti lo ju... I gave up on reading
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Harcom: 1:43pm On Jul 04, 2023
12NA/68 intake here,i suffered like market thief in depot.At poster,do you meet Lt Daga then,Dogo,Afolabi and Maye as instructor that year.You are my immediate junior and i guess you are 69 intake.I left as well to further my education abroad when the heat too much.Madman job

13 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by hustla(m): 1:43pm On Jul 04, 2023
GeneralPula:

I watched a video clip of USA training their Soldiers! Omo, I open mouth!

So, where in USA military training do you see them flogging people or asking them to plant their heads?

Show me one example

Even for legion training that's really brutal, you'll never see that but suffer head na way of life for Nigeria for every single thing

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Son2rawa(m): 1:43pm On Jul 04, 2023
13 what??
shocked
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by HORLADY(m): 1:44pm On Jul 04, 2023
13NA in 2013!!!!, maybe I have missed how they count Army intake. I am a member of Nigerian Navy 12AK in 2003 and spent 16yrs before bowing out.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

6 Reasons Why You Will End Up Even Poorer Than Your Parents / What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? / Dolapo Badmus Promoted To The Rank Of Chief Superintendent Of Police (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.