Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 (2811 Views)

Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead / Evil: African Child At A Zoo In Belgium, 1958 - She Is 60yrs Today / The House Wole Soyinka Lived At The OAU Campus Turned To Museum (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 by dhardline(m): 11:09am On Jul 10, 2023
LikeAking:

Stop lying agianst China.

Really!!!
Re: When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 by AndroidAI(m): 11:21am On Jul 10, 2023
dhardline:

If you do not repent and believe in Jesus Christ then you have chosen hell. Even the Bible tells us that we are all heading there but a way of escape has been made for those who decide to escape. So the point is that hell is what we all deserve. Go to Pakistan/do a little research and see the level of conversions going on there and other Muslim countries and they willing to die for the gospel they have received. You think majority of Nigerians are Christians because we have a lot of churches right! Well wrong. I was born in a Christian home went to church for over 20 years but if I had died then I'd be cast away. So going to Church does not in any way make you a Christian. Renew your mind.

The fear of hell is what have kept you stuck in this mental prison. I hope you break free. If not, my sympathy remains with you. To help you, take some time to learn about the carrot and stick technique and how it is used to create a cult or religion. That's if you are intelligent enough to see the patterns and ask questions, which I highly doubt. Lemme ask a question: if your god is all knowing, that means before you were born, he already knows if you will be in heaven or hell. If he knows that someone will go to hell, why allow them to be born in the first place? He tested Abraham. If he was all knowing and already knows the outcome of the test, what use is the test? If he was all knowing, he already knows that Adam and Eve will eat of the fruit of good and evil despite his warning. In fact, he already knows that by creating Adam and Eve, he will end up bringing untold suffering, pain and death, yet he went ahead. There are a lot of inconsistencies and contradictions that proves that he is not all knowing at all. In fact, when he regretted creating humans (Gen 6:6) and sending forth a flood, it defects his all knowing status. That's not a god. That's a character used to keep dumb people under control. You have to be specially dumb to know of these inconsistencies and contradiction and still remain mentally caged because you are afraid of hell.
Re: When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 by musicwriter(m): 12:05pm On Jul 10, 2023
dhardline:

I rather be a slave to Christ than to vain imaginations and please note, I was not arguing with you but only showing you that your thought process is off the line. Will you equally endorse 'Abaobaku' which is our traditions or continue in the 'killing of twins' because it was normal to the so called tradition before the colonialist came. The thing is that you do not understand the dept of the evil of man's heart or since there is no concept of sin will be be glad if your female relative is raped and murdered by a person who does not see it as a sin but just doing Them a favor? Think man. Think.

Killing of twins was widespread in Europe too.

Witch killings (killing of women) was widespread in Europe even up till the 1600's . That's witch killings was still going on in Europe even the time Europeans arrived here to give you the fake Christ.

No, you don't need Christ to feel a sense of redemption or forgiveness. Lesser corrupt societies such as Japan, China, Thailand, North Korean, Mynmar, etc, who doesn't have Christ also do get a feeling of redemption through their indigenous religion as we had in Africa.

Note that the English language and Jesus were imposed on us as a defeated people, so the Nobel laureate winner is as enslaved in the English language as the head pastor of a church is enslaved with Christ. Both were not given us in our power but, again, in our defeat. And that's the whole point I was making from the beginning.

2 Likes

Re: When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 by ublight: 12:20pm On Jul 10, 2023
Everyone here did not get what the op did there. But it understandable since we live in a society where fraud is celebrated and not education.
Re: When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 by absoluteSuccess: 12:28pm On Jul 10, 2023
dhardline:

If you do not repent and believe in Jesus Christ then you have chosen hell. Even the Bible tells us that we are all heading there but a way of escape has been made for those who decide to escape. So the point is that hell is what we all deserve. Go to Pakistan/do a little research and see the level of conversions going on there and other Muslim countries and they willing to die for the gospel they have received. You think majority of Nigerians are Christians because we have a lot of churches right! Well wrong. I was born in a Christian home went to church for over 20 years but if I had died then I'd be cast away. So going to Church does not in any way make you a Christian. Renew your mind.

You have been sold brother, Christianity is not the first religion, meaning people before Christ would be damned for living before the Christian era, which is no crime of theirs but God's who was caught unprepared for the people he would subsequently want to save.

That's a bad position to put God, as long as he's all knowing. Instead, the one true God made Christ atonement for sin, you can always have thousands of religion with their concepts of salvation in any part of the world. But here's the one that point to a universal Creator.

If that makes a difference, that's the selling point." Heaven and hell" were infiltrations of latter time into the faith: Christ, like the Pharisees believed in resurrection of the dead. Hell fire is much later inventions into the faith.

If God is loving, and he promised not to destroy the earth with water, had he suddenly become victim of mood-swing to want to destroy the same earth with fire? Meaning, he would have even threatened atomic bomb had that been invented at the Bible times.

God will save the upright and purify the earth, he needed not keep some people in flames for eternity to proof what point exactly, His Almightiness? He's Almighty for what he has done, not whatever anyone says he will do. That to me is the core of true religion.

Punishment is in the realm of man. Forgiveness and reward belongs to God. There's no point being godly out of dread, but out of true love of God and the marvelous things he has done. If you choose Christianity for this hope, so be it.
Re: When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 by dhardline(m): 1:16pm On Jul 10, 2023
absoluteSuccess:

You have been sold brother, Christianity is not the first religion, meaning people before Christ would be damned for living before the Christian era, which is no crime of theirs but God's who was caught unprepared for the people he would subsequently want to save.

That's a bad position to put God, as long as he's all knowing. Instead, the one true God made Christ atonement for sin, you can always have thousands of religion with their concepts of salvation in any part of the world. But here's the one that point to a universal Creator.

If that makes a difference, that's the selling point." Heaven and hell" were infiltrations of latter time into the faith: Christ, like the Pharisees believed in resurrection of the dead. Hell fire is much later inventions into the faith.

If God is loving, and he promised not to destroy the earth with water, had he suddenly become victim of mood-swing to want to destroy the same earth with fire? Meaning, he would have even threatened atomic bomb had that been invented at the Bible times.

God will save the upright and purify the earth, he needed not keep some people in flames for eternity to proof what point exactly, His Almightiness? He's Almighty for what he has done, not whatever anyone says he will do. That to me is the core of true religion.

Punishment is in the realm of man. Forgiveness and reward belongs to God. There's no point being godly out of dread, but out of true love of God and the marvelous things he has done. If you choose Christianity for this hope, so be it.

Christianity is not the first religion and there is a reason for that which is because Christ's coming to earth to save mankind made those who put their trust in him Christians. If you read the Bible you'll see the how those who were born before Christ's coming will be saved. It's right there in the book, read it please. Heaven and hell were not infiltrations. Infact the Lord Jesus Christ spoke the most about hell compared to all the prophets in the bible. And like I've said before I am definitely not Godly out of dread but out of live of what he did for me.

I'll give you a not so perfect illustration but hopefully you'll get the point. please read.

If you are a developer and you have designed and app like Facebook given it intrusions all encoded in the app with capabilities to learn like AI and to update when there's an available upgrade. And then you notice that the app you designed and allowed to do Facebook, decides to do Snapchat and refuses to update so as to be rectified. Will I call you wrong for deleting the app? Are you not the owner? Will you not do as it pleases you to what you designed? If you who is mere motal can take such decisions on what you made why think that God who has made you for His purpose should listen to you and your desires to go the way you like?

1 Like

Re: When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 by dhardline(m): 1:19pm On Jul 10, 2023
AndroidAI:

The fear of hell is what have kept you stuck in this mental prison. I hope you break free. If not, my sympathy remains with you. To help you, take some time to learn about the carrot and stick technique and how it is used to create a cult or religion. That's if you are intelligent enough to see the patterns and ask questions, which I highly doubt. Lemme ask a question: if your god is all knowing, that means before you were born, he already knows if you will be in heaven or hell. If he knows that someone will go to hell, why allow them to be born in the first place? He tested Abraham. If he was all knowing and already knows the outcome of the test, what use is the test? If he was all knowing, he already knows that Adam and Eve will eat of the fruit of good and evil despite his warning. In fact, he already knows that by creating Adam and Eve, he will end up bringing untold suffering, pain and death, yet he went ahead. There are a lot of inconsistencies and contradictions that proves that he is not all knowing at all. In fact, when he regretted creating humans (Gen 6:6) and sending forth a flood, it defects his all knowing status. That's not a god. That's a character used to keep dumb people under control. You have to be specially dumb to know of these inconsistencies and contradiction and still remain mentally caged because you are afraid of hell.

Maybe you should first show me where I mentioned being afraid of hell as a reason for being a Christian smiley.

1 Like

Re: When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 by AndroidAI(m): 2:41pm On Jul 10, 2023
dhardline:

Maybe you should first show me where I mentioned being afraid of hell as a reason for being a Christian smiley.
The fact that you are lying to defend yourself proves it. Your mind can never be changed. Keep dreading hell. What a sad way to live.
Re: When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 by dhardline(m): 4:01pm On Jul 10, 2023
AndroidAI:

The fact that you are lying to defend yourself proves it. Your mind can never be changed. Keep dreading hell. What a sad way to live.

Most people think because 'they' feel this way, therefore everyother person would feel the same. So they judge not based on the truth but based off of emotions. I do not feel the dread of hell that you mention now unfortunately. You can choose to believe or choose to hold on to what you feel is true.

Hopefully this will help you differentiate BTW true Christians and false Christians. Shalom.

1 Like

Re: When Wole Soyinka Was A Christian 1958–1965 by absoluteSuccess: 4:39pm On Jul 10, 2023
dhardline:

Christianity is not the first religion and there is a reason for that which is because Christ's coming to earth to save mankind made those who put their trust in him Christians. If you read the Bible you'll see the how those who were born before Christ's coming will be saved. It's right there in the book, read it please. Heaven and hell were not infiltrations. Infact the Lord Jesus Christ spoke the most about hell compared to all the prophets in the bible. And like I've said before I am definitely not Godly out of dread but out of live of what he did for me.

I'll give you a not so perfect illustration but hopefully you'll get the point. please read.

If you are a developer and you have designed and app like Facebook given it intrusions all encoded in the app with capabilities to learn like AI and to update when there's an available upgrade. And then you notice that the app you designed and allowed to do Facebook, decides to do Snapchat and refuses to update so as to be rectified. Will I call you wrong for deleting the app? Are you not the owner? Will you not do as it pleases you to what you designed? If you who is mere motal can take such decisions on what you made why think that God who has made you for His purpose should listen to you and your desires to go the way you like?

I love your illustration, now the end of my design is to make something good, it happens that it malfunctioned. As a designer, I've past experience and there was a way I dealt with it, I scrapped and save the original copy.

It's an argument overwhelmed with human emotions to believe that instead of correcting flaw the second time, I will seat and continue to punish my offender as another "Divine mandate" when all I wanted to do is to do away with the problem.

If I'm a designer who created two worlds for my own creations, one for eternal torment for their 70 years of vanity, I think I needed to check my doctrine (or software), and be sure I'm not part of the problem.

When we look around us, the Creator made all things astoundingly sensible, enabling scientific possibilities. Likewise, those who are to speak for Him should reflect on His attributes, rather than be lost to the fallen nature of man.

Since these people are hopeless and I'm almighty, I ought to either make them infallible or do away with the flawed ones with an upgrade, rather than create a world I could play the psycho on the weakest of my own creations punishing them day and night because someone I sent said so.

(1) (2) (Reply)

National Open University Transcript / Twitter Blows Hot As FUTA And UI Students Engage In Online Battle (photos) / JAMB Admission Stats For 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.