Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

The History Behind Igbo-hate (igbophobia) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The History Behind Igbo-hate (igbophobia) (403 Views)

The History Behind Igbo-hate (igbophobia) / IGBOPHOBIA EXISTS | The Igbo Hate Is Real. / Omugwo: Understanding The Culture Behind Igbo’s Traditional Postpartum Care: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The History Behind Igbo-hate (igbophobia) by TheSourcerer: 5:04am On Jul 10, 2023
Good morning beautiful dark skinned Nigerians
Yes this is a Tribal topic , Before delving into this extremely sensitive topic and avoid bias I am Aguda of Kalabari decent ,Bahia Brazil (There was a Topic posted about the Brazilians in Nigeria which to my surprise many did not know about , they are the Saros( Londoner slaves returned to Sierra Leone then later to Nigeria where they were known as Saros adulterated form of Sierra Leone (Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti and basically all English compound surnames are descendants of the Saros, while the Agudas have Spanish compound names , It was around this time around Ramadan, a slave revolt was planed in Bahia Brazil , even though the slave revolt was foiled it caused mass deportationof Brazilloans to Nigeria(indirectly caused by one of rebel leaders wife's ) The bloody revolt was violently suppressed, The Brazilian government had enough of this revolt and as punishment three large ships containing both free born and recently freed slaves ,One was to go to Accra Ghana were they were welcomed warmly by the indigenes from the dock and given land , They are called Tabom which means okay as they could not speak English but Portuguese and Spanish,
The two other Ships Landed in Nigerian Major Ports Lagos and Portharcourt, here there were refered to as Agudas which means cotton in Portuguese,The Brazilians were equally welcomed with singing and beating drums from the Nigerians , They were given lands in lagos popo Aguda ,the Agudas are spread through Lagos ,Abeokuta,Ibadan ,Portharcourt and calabar , In Portharcourt they were settled at Aguda-ma before there fully integrated into major southern Tribes mainly Kalabari(Abonnema) opopo and Okrika , The Brazilians introduced the Spanish native dressing of the Ijaw including the traditional cowboy hat which is now part of the Kalabari culture, The Brazilians still retain thir Portuguese name till date . While the Saros had integrated perfectly with the Yorubas

https://www.nairaland.com/7671181/brazilians-nigeria

https://saharareporters.com/2009/07/23/nigerians-very-stupid-people
(The sensitive 14 year old post )

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The History Behind Igbo-hate (igbophobia) by Myer(m): 5:41am On Jul 10, 2023
Following...
Re: The History Behind Igbo-hate (igbophobia) by PaZwoD: 7:18am On Jul 10, 2023
Myer:
Following...

Following...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The History Behind Igbo-hate (igbophobia) by armadeo(m): 11:14pm On Jul 10, 2023
Interesting the Sahara reporters article was written by a man in New York USA.

What can you say about that? A Nigerian man in the US calling Nigerians stupid.... lol. He is exactly what he is preaching against.
Re: The History Behind Igbo-hate (igbophobia) by TheSourcerer: 12:01pm On Jul 11, 2023
armadeo:
Interesting the Sahara reporters article was written by a man in New York USA.

What can you say about that? A Nigerian man in the US calling Nigerians stupid.... lol. He is exactly what he is preaching against.
Thank you for pointing that out but emotions aside, been white or not is really not to be concerned with the education suggested , thank you for even going deeper into that thread to even investigate the writter, I genuinely thank you smiley
Re: The History Behind Igbo-hate (igbophobia) by armadeo(m): 7:15pm On Jul 11, 2023
TheSourcerer:
Thank you for pointing that out but emotions aside, been white or not is really not to be concerned with the education suggested , thank you for even going deeper into that thread to even investigate the writter, I genuinely thank you smiley

Nice.

Honestly I agree with what he wrote there but he's the wrong person to write it. Where he in the country in would have "clapped" for him.

Anyway I'm always interested in what you write and the effort you put in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The History Behind Igbo-hate (igbophobia) by TheSourcerer: 7:16pm On Jul 11, 2023
armadeo:

Nice.

Honestly I agree with what he wrote there but he's the wrong person to write it. Where he in the country in would have "clapped" for him.

Anyway I'm always interested in what you write and the effort you put in.
Really appreciate,Thank you and wish you the best day ahead smiley

(1) (Reply)

Wedding Photographers Capturing Memories That Last A Lifetime / Staged For The Purpose Of Gambling; Hunting; / Event Of The Coronation Week In Benin City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.