Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended (20910 Views)

Dana Airplane Veers Off Lagos Airport Runway / Ebonyi International Airport Runway In Progress / Anambra International Airport Runway - Stone Base In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by saintbillion(m): 7:02am On Jul 11, 2023
Unknown persons have allegedly carted away the recently reinstalled airfield lighting systems at the domestic runway 18/36L of Murtala Muhammad Airport.

The PUNCH gathered that the disappearance of the approach lighting systems had raised security concerns in Nigeria’s busiest airports.

According to a source who spoke on condition of anonymity, those who carted away the lighting systems took advantage of the closure of the runway for over three months.

The source alleged that some FAAN workers connived with outsiders to steal the airport lighting equipment.

“The criminal took advantage of the closure to commit the crime. I cannot give the actual worth of the theft, but almost all the lighting was removed. The permanent secretary came around to see for himself the huge damage done. A lot of FAAN officials have been suspended,” the source confirmed.

The PUNCH also gathered that some heads of relevant departments at FAAN have been suspended over the missing lighting equipment on the directives of the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Aviation, Dr Emmanuel Meribole.

The source also disclosed that investigations had since commenced to unravel those responsible for the missing safety equipment.

According to the source, the regular incursion and stealing of safety components at the airports are carried out by a syndicate, consisting of some workers of the agencies, who have access to the restricted areas and accomplices from outside.

A top official with FAAN, who did not want his name in print, said the agency’s Managing Director, Mr Kabir Yusuf, was displeased with the development.

He stated that FAAN MD had also ordered the suspension of security personnel who were in charge of guarding critical airport facilities.

Reacting to the latest development, a former Military Commandant at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, Group Capt. John Ojikutu (retd.), said, [b]“This is not new at MMA. I wish the FAAN management could go back to 1990 when similar things happened in the airport. I was convinced that it was an ‘insiders threats’. What did I do? I positioned soldiers on the runways and ensured that no FAAN maintenance staff went near the runways for anything without my approval; otherwise, it was shoot at first sight. It stopped completely.[/b]
Runway lightings were being stolen and my conclusion then was that runway lightings can only be useful for runways and not roads or houses.

“Those stolen were being sold to FAAN by the same workers. That is why I am not in support of the unions carrying the picketing of their employers to the airport’s security controlled areas.”

The Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, FAAN, Mr Yakubu Funtua, told The PUNCH stated that investigations had been launched and that the agency would do all within its powers to avoid a reoccurrence.

He said, “FAAN is doing all it can to get to the bottom of this. You are very aware that there are many agencies within the airport, including the different ones that are supposed to be taking care of security there. So, it would be unfair to put this (the theft) on our (members of) staff and I don’t think there is any FAAN (member of) staff that wants the agency to crash.

“Note that most of our revenue comes from Lagos. So, what kind of staff will ‘kill the goose that lays the egg?’ However, we can’t say exactly who did it, but we are doing all that we can to recover what is lost. We are going to recover it because we are going to find out those people who did it and then block all those loopholes.”

For 15 years, the Lagos Airport domestic runway 18L was shut down to night operations due to the absence of airfield lighting.

Domestic airlines were forced to use runway 19 at the international airport, which consumes more aviation fuel because of the longer distance.

The equipment, which aids aircraft to take off and land at the domestic airport at night, was installed on the 2.7 kilometres long runway last November.
https://punchng.com/lagos-airport-runway-light-stolen-seven-suspended/?amp

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by TemplarLandry: 7:02am On Jul 11, 2023
An inside job no doubt!

I dedicate “16DEM” by Skillibeng to them.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by inoki247: 7:04am On Jul 11, 2023
Lol which kain font be this...

We know say in-house go dey...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by ratiani6: 7:05am On Jul 11, 2023
Bulaba republic

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by SmartPolician: 7:06am On Jul 11, 2023
If you really want to know people who love their country, check how they treat government jobs.

People will do anything to protect their personal businesses, but don't mind stealing from the government because government work no be your papa work.

Therefore, it's safe to say that Nigerians don't like this country. This is a country of hypocrites.

119 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by zolajpower: 7:06am On Jul 11, 2023
saintbillion:
Unknown persons have allegedly carted away the recently reinstalled airfield lighting systems at the domestic runway 18/36L of Murtala Muhammad Airport.

The PUNCH gathered that the disappearance of the approach lighting systems had raised security concerns in Nigeria’s busiest airports.

According to a source who spoke on condition of anonymity, those who carted away the lighting systems took advantage of the closure of the runway for over three months.

The source alleged that some FAAN workers connived with outsiders to steal the airport lighting equipment.

“The criminal took advantage of the closure to commit the crime. I cannot give the actual worth of the theft, but almost all the lighting was removed. The permanent secretary came around to see for himself the huge damage done. A lot of FAAN officials have been suspended,” the source confirmed.

The PUNCH also gathered that some heads of relevant departments at FAAN have been suspended over the missing lighting equipment on the directives of the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Aviation, Dr Emmanuel Meribole.

The source also disclosed that investigations had since commenced to unravel those responsible for the missing safety equipment.

According to the source, the regular incursion and stealing of safety components at the airports are carried out by a syndicate, consisting of some workers of the agencies, who have access to the restricted areas and accomplices from outside.

A top official with FAAN, who did not want his name in print, said the agency’s Managing Director, Mr Kabir Yusuf, was displeased with the development.

He stated that FAAN MD had also ordered the suspension of security personnel who were in charge of guarding critical airport facilities.

Reacting to the latest development, a former Military Commandant at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, Group Capt. John Ojikutu (retd.), said, “This is not new at MMA. I wish the FAAN management could go back to 1990 when similar things happened in the airport. I was convinced that it was an ‘insiders threats’. What did I do? I positioned soldiers on the runways and ensured that no FAAN maintenance staff went near the runways for anything without my approval; otherwise, it was shoot at first sight. It stopped completely. Runway lightings were being stolen and my conclusion then was that runway lightings can only be useful for runways and not roads or houses.

“Those stolen were being sold to FAAN by the same workers. That is why I am not in support of the unions carrying the picketing of their employers to the airport’s security controlled areas.”

The Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, FAAN, Mr Yakubu Funtua, told The PUNCH stated that investigations had been launched and that the agency would do all within its powers to avoid a reoccurrence.

He said, “FAAN is doing all it can to get to the bottom of this. You are very aware that there are many agencies within the airport, including the different ones that are supposed to be taking care of security there. So, it would be unfair to put this (the theft) on our (members of) staff and I don’t think there is any FAAN (member of) staff that wants the agency to crash.

“Note that most of our revenue comes from Lagos. So, what kind of staff will ‘kill the goose that lays the egg?’ However, we can’t say exactly who did it, but we are doing all that we can to recover what is lost. We are going to recover it because we are going to find out those people who did it and then block all those loopholes.”

For 15 years, the Lagos Airport domestic runway 18L was shut down to night operations due to the absence of airfield lighting.

Domestic airlines were forced to use runway 19 at the international airport, which consumes more aviation fuel because of the longer distance.

The equipment, which aids aircraft to take off and land at the domestic airport at night, was installed on the 2.7 kilometres long runway last November.https://punchng.com/lagos-airport-runway-light-stolen-seven-suspended/?amp
Na wetin be this o? I beg remove this thing , your eye nor go blind in Jesus name.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by XerXers: 7:08am On Jul 11, 2023
Hunger in the land
Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by saintbillion(m): 7:18am On Jul 11, 2023
zolajpower:

Na wetin be this o? I beg remove this thing , your eye nor go blind in Jesus name.
Amen
Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by saintbillion(m): 7:19am On Jul 11, 2023
XerXers:
Hunger in the land
my brother no be small thing

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by Cooldowntemper: 7:21am On Jul 11, 2023
Skull miners now stealing airport lights ?

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by insidelife22(m): 7:35am On Jul 11, 2023
When they stole the light,know something bigger is coming,probably preparing to steal an ✈

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by iwaeda: 7:37am On Jul 11, 2023
saintbillion:
https://punchng.com/lagos-airport-runway-light-stolen-seven-suspended/?amp
Awon saints to fight corruption. Hope they have not stolen the airport. grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by Racoon(m): 7:39am On Jul 11, 2023
shocked Chai! Who have noticed the emboldened corrupt politicians who have been romancing the drug baron on seat and the alarming rise in brazen criminality of this nature since this criminal government came on board.

Ahmed Sirika is yet to be arrested and prosecuted by the EFCC for his air Nigeria criminality how do you not expect miscreants to violate aviation safety to the point of stealing runway lighting devices. Nigeria welcome to the era of brazen criminality.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by Dittodat: 8:41am On Jul 11, 2023
ole.

Almost everyone in Nigeria is criminal-minded. Given the opportunity to enrich themselves, they will take the opportunity.
The ones making noise are the ones that have not had an opportunity to steal.
Even some that are stealing in Govt offices will still be complaining about the govt as if they are not part of the govt.
Employ a Nigerian in your private business, and he or she is thinking of how to make extra money from your business, yet that person, too, will be complaining about politicians daily while stealing from a [private business.

They only see politicians as criminals even though they are also partaking in activities that are illegal for their own self enrichment.
What a society.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by Earnmoreprofit(m): 8:42am On Jul 11, 2023
Very funny
Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by id4sho(m): 8:42am On Jul 11, 2023
A town hall different from Balablu bhlu bhlu bulaba tongue

Reacting to the latest development, a former Military Commandant at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, Group Capt. John Ojikutu (retd.), said, “This is not new at MMA. I wish the FAAN management could go back to 1990 when similar things happened in the airport. I was convinced that it was an ‘insiders threats’. What did I do? I positioned soldiers on the runways and ensured that no FAAN maintenance staff went near the runways for anything without my approval; otherwise, it was shoot at first sight. It stopped completely.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by Ewedegubbler: 8:42am On Jul 11, 2023
Dem go start stealing planes soon

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by Vxcool(f): 8:42am On Jul 11, 2023
zolajpower:

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by Davidzy23(m): 8:42am On Jul 11, 2023
I'm sure this isn't the first time something has gone missing but be like say this one pain them well..

Welcome to Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by jmoore(m): 8:43am On Jul 11, 2023
Airport with no cctv

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by Oakenshield: 8:44am On Jul 11, 2023
It can't be stolen without connivance of the top management and contractors shikena. How can such be stolen from an International airport in Nigeria every time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by iamdapsyj(m): 8:44am On Jul 11, 2023
SmartPolician:
If you really want to know people who love their country, check how they treat government jobs.

People will do anything to protect their personal businesses, but don't mind stealing from the government because government work no be your papa work.

Therefore, it's safe to say that Nigerians don't like this country. This is a country of hypocrites.

Exactly, the funny thing is they are the ones that even criticize officials of government the most...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by juman(m): 8:44am On Jul 11, 2023
The thieves must be arrested.
Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by adecz: 8:45am On Jul 11, 2023
Death ☠️ to vandals of public
infrastructure will stop all this bulls**t 😡😡😡
Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by Sonnobax15(m): 8:45am On Jul 11, 2023
lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by Enddy50ty(m): 8:45am On Jul 11, 2023
Okay
Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by Waterlilly: 8:45am On Jul 11, 2023
They're doing what their politicians taught them simple
Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by GloriousGbola: 8:45am On Jul 11, 2023
That means the lights are probably being installed in one of the newly done naija airports. So find which airports are under construction and do a check of the contractors materials.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport Runway Light Stolen, Seven Suspended by theophorus(m): 8:47am On Jul 11, 2023
He easy to arrest the thief.

Make dem begin do market investigations, from there dem go know the Theif.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

U.S Army Helicopter Crashes Killing 3 Soldiers, Injuring 1 In Texas (Photos) / More Nigerians In Ukraine Complain Of Racial Discrimination At Poland's Border / Government To Fix Onitsha-Owerri Road In 3 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.