Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? (7968 Views)

Man Returns To Children He Abandoned For Eight Years (With Video) / Man Abandons Children In Boarding School For Eight Years / Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by femy2010(m): 6:46pm On Oct 06, 2011
Does sending kids to boarding schools have more benefits than going from home daily?
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by spyder880(m): 7:01pm On Oct 06, 2011
Gives them a mind of their own and increases their sense of security. If they can survive on their own without parents protection, they can face the world.

1 Like

Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by horny4u(f): 10:03pm On Oct 06, 2011
spyder880:

Gives them a mind of their own and increases their sense of security. If they can survive on their own without parents protection, they can face the world.

I used to feel this way as i went to boarding house.
I have a younger sister that did not and the difference is clear while i am fiercely independent and an expert at bending rules and getting by them, knowing and creating shortcuts by default , closed up with a solid street mentality, i can blend either at oluwole ( agbero) or hilton (posh). We were always cooked for so you donot learn to cook, sew and home cleaning per se until later.

My sis is not like that but she trusts people more, she is not as materialistic (she is ambitious though), she lives by rules, polite, not ruthless, she does have a mind of her own but she is not rugged, she is not as laid back and does not know how to create shortcuts , she is not a hustler yet she is smart, she is posh as thats all she knows, she is just as sound academically. She is only 12 but she can cook, sew, clean etc

I have seen some people who go to boarding house and it brings out the best in them and some people it awakens a beast in them
For me my boys will go to a rugged or military boarding house but my girls will go to the poshest day school as i feel skills i learnt in the boarding house are more valuable for boys but girls need a different skill set, plus i will prefer to monitor my girl and teach her how to pronounce NO in capital letter as its the most important word a gal can learn.
I want to know all her friends et al. For my boy i will advise and step back a man has got to find his way.
Old fashioned but na so i see am

Just my opinion !

1 Like

Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Ndipe(m): 1:45am On Oct 07, 2011
I'd rather my kids live with me until they are about ready to leave for college at 17 or 18. I dont want another person to raise my children for me and subject them to cruelty all in the name of boarding house. I lived in the boarding house and while I enjoyed it mostly in my senior year, I wont send my kids to live there. Times have changed now, kids upbringing should be in the hands of parents and not senior students and housemasters/mistresses.
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Womaniza: 10:02am On Oct 07, 2011
60% Of lesbians and gays today learnt the act from the boarding school. Our boarding schools is no longer what it is suppose to be. Imagine the rot in the society today and yet a parent would still want to leave their innocent child in the hands of teachers and hostel guardians,
that i'm not gay today is only because i left boarding school after my first year.
as for me o, Boarding school is not worth it.
though i stand to be corrected,

1 Like

Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by ikechukz(m): 10:28am On Oct 07, 2011
boarding school used to be good but these days it does more harm than good.i attended a school that also have boarding facilties and from my classmates that lived in the hostel i can tell you that students get corrupt easily in the boarding house and most student in the boarding house don't read,
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by litusista(f): 10:35am On Oct 07, 2011
With the way things are, and a child has to be up around 4.30 am in the morning simply to meet up with the school bus, i think its really strenuos and discomforting. In places like Lagos,  the same child might be in traffic till 8pm or evn 10 at night. Whats the point suffering the Child?  
in my own opinion, i feel a boarding house is okay and very good for a child because its more convenient and it also gives the child room to relate with other children and learn to be independent. i went to a boarding house, and a federal govt college to be precise, and i really enjoyed it.
just look for very good secondary schools, and fix up your children there. Visit them regularly to know how they are doing and have a teacher's phone num, so u can talk with them regularly.

N.b, i dont support a boarding house for children under age 10.

1 Like

Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 07, 2011
Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? Well, there are no hard and fast rules on this subject, it may be beneficial to some parents, due to their schedules, and how far the children's schools are from their homes.

But, my children's welfare comes first. It's our duties as parents to discipline our children, and not hand that responsibility to some house master / matron, or "seniors" in a boarding school. No one will raise their hands to my children, else there'll be hell to pay. Children belong with their parents, in my humble opinion. There'll be time enough for my children to continue their education on campus, when they start uni, and even that will be their choice. If they choose to attend uni from home, that'll be good too.

1 Like

Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Sike(m): 11:14am On Oct 07, 2011
Womaniza:

60% Of lady-loving-ladies and man-loving-men today learnt the act from the boarding school. Our boarding schools is no longer what it is suppose to be. Imagine the rot in the society today and yet a parent would still want to leave their innocent child in the hands of teachers and hostel guardians,
that i'm not man-lover today is only because i left boarding school after my first year.
Gbam! No need to be corrected.
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by mbatuku1: 12:33pm On Oct 07, 2011
Womaniza:

60% Of lady-loving-ladies and man-loving-men today learnt the act from the boarding school. Our boarding schools is no longer what it is suppose to be. Imagine the rot in the society today and yet a parent would still want to leave their innocent child in the hands of teachers and hostel guardians,
that i'm not man-lover today is only because i left boarding school after my first year.

But it didn't prevent you from being a womaniser. Nice!
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by okeey(m): 12:35pm On Oct 07, 2011
well i went 2 boarding house,it fun and children will learn more lesson,it may be hard 2 cop but in a twinkle of an eyes children will find them self in d final year,i support the motion that boarding school is even more beneficial to children
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by pynkspyce: 1:52pm On Oct 07, 2011
it depends on the type of school you send ur kids to.
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by 2nex(m): 2:01pm On Oct 07, 2011
men, ds is serios bt as 4me its nt advisabl.cos it causes gr8 arm bot ed,spiritualy,en socialy on d child bt wt litle benefits or adv.tel do parnts monity ds children nomata au big or smal hmm?atlst til hes redy 4colge
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by otokx(m): 2:09pm On Oct 07, 2011
It depends on the school
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Imeobong(m): 3:01pm On Oct 07, 2011
Mehhnn!! this is a difficult one, oo.It makes me think so much as my boy is set for boarding school next year, Please house, whts your say on catholic Schools?
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by SwiftSMS(f): 3:42pm On Oct 07, 2011
Is boarding school beneficial to children? Yes and No

Yes: Because for me I was lazy as a child, we had relatives and stewards at home who would cook, clean and wash for us. The only chore I remember doing back then was washing the dishes and filling the water bottles with drinking water, nothing more. Well boarding school changed all of that, I learnt how to wash my clothes plus senior students ownangry. Fetch and carry water from a long distance, sweep/clean etc. Boarding school practically transformed me from Princess Lazy to Queen Hardworking and it taught me how to take responsibility for myself.

No: Because I was so miserable  cry cry cry for the most part in college from JS1 to SS2, can you imagine that. I was miserable because of the mean senior students we had, who still had power to punish you even in your SS2. I still remember a good number of them by name after all these years because of how cruel they were. In fact they were terrorists, there was no point reporting maltreatment in my school, as you are getting back to the hostel after class you will chop s-h-i-t, because more seniors would have ganged up to deal with you for reporting one of their own. It seemed like the teachers, principal and vice were all helpless or couldn't be bothered with what went on btw juniors and seniors.

Seniors had more power than the school authorities put together (and to think this was an all girls school) until we got a new principal who was even more mean than the seniors and had zero tolerance for their bullshit cheesy cheesy cheesy, unfortunately I was already in SS3 and couldn't benefit from the succour she provided to junior students, but she wiped the whole school into shape starting from her staff to students.

Having suffered misery for so long I am not really a fan of boarding school. But I think it will be a great idea if the school has a principal and staff who do not condone maltreatment of junior students by senior ones.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by franko2: 4:03pm On Oct 07, 2011
horny4u:

I have a younger sister that did not and the difference is clear while i am fiercely independent and an expert at bending rules and getting by them, knowing and creating shortcuts by default , closed up with a solid street mentality, i can blend either at oluwole ( agbero) or hilton (posh). We were always cooked for so you donot learn to cook, sew and home cleaning per se until later.

My sis is not like that but she trusts people more, she is not as materialistic (she is ambitious though), she lives by rules, polite, not ruthless, she does have a mind of her own but she is not rugged, she is not as laid back and does not know how to create shortcuts , she is not a hustler yet she is smart, she is posh as thats all she knows, she is just as sound academically. She is only 12 but she can cook, sew, clean etc

I have seen some people who go to boarding house and it brings out the best in them and some people it awakens a beast in them
For me my boys will go to a rugged or military boarding house but my girls will go to the poshest day school as i feel skills i learnt in the boarding house are more valuable for boys but girls need a different skill set, plus i will prefer to monitor my girl and teach her how to pronounce NO in capital letter as its the most important word a gal can learn.
I want to know all her friends et al. For my boy i will advise and step back a man has got to find his way.

Just my opinion !

U hit the nail on the head in ur analysis. if i have my way, i will send my sons to naija boarding school either from form JS3, or from SS1, while i will prefer the girls to go from home, but only if their mother is more of a fulltimer, which is no longer the norm these days - the girls need to be soft, gentle, human and learn more people skills, while the boys need to learn how to be rugged

i attended boarding school myslef, and it stood me in good stead to weather a lot more ups that mount kilmanjaro, something which i feel i possibly couldnt have done had i not attended rugged bendel boarding haas!

------

Swift SMS:

Is boarding school beneficial to children? Yes and No

Yes: Because for me I was lazy as a child, we had relatives and stewards at home who would cook, clean and wash for us. The only chore I remember doing back then was washing the dishes and filling the water bottles with drinking water, nothing more. Well boarding school changed all of that, I learnt how to wash my clothes plus senior students ownangry. Fetch and carry water from a long distance, sweep/clean etc. Boarding school practically transformed me from Princess Lazy to Queen Hardworking and it taught me how to take responsibility for myself.

No: Because I was so miserable  cry cry cry for the most part in college from JS1 to SS2, can you imagine that. I was miserable because of the mean senior students we had, who still had power to punish you even in your SS2. I still remember a good number of them by name after all these years because of how cruel they were. In fact they were terrorists, there was no point reporting maltreatment in my school, as you are getting back to the hostel after class you will chop s-h-i-t, because more seniors would have ganged up to deal with you for reporting one of their own. It seemed like the teachers, principal and vice were all helpless or couldn't be bothered with what went on btw juniors and seniors.

Seniors had more power than the school authorities put together (and to think this was an all girls school) until we got a new principal who was even more mean than the seniors and had zero tolerance for their bullshit cheesy cheesy cheesy, unfortunately I was already in SS3 and couldn't benefit from the succour she provided to junior students, but she wiped the whole school into shape starting from her staff to students.

Having suffered misery for so long I am not really a fan of boarding school. But I think it will be a great idea if the school has a principal and staff who do not condone maltreatment of junior students by senior ones.

Yes, in my boarding school those days, the senior students were sadistic animals, which should not be allowed in a civilised society so, there will always be room for improvement in this regard,,,some seniors tried to move on me on the man-love-man side of things but, for where, ?!!!! i guess if ur not cut out for that, it just wont happen, although, with benefit of hindsight, i have to say, my dad should have specifically talked to me about it all through the time, because its only through sheer willpower and a total lack of interest did i manage to avoid joining such nonsense
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by DrummaBoy(m): 5:32pm On Oct 07, 2011
Good topic
I agree wit those who say Yes and No
If U are a Xtian, trust God to help U do what is right for your child
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by DrummaBoy(m): 5:33pm On Oct 07, 2011
My sibs and I went to Day schools. I guess we turned out good but could we hav been better in a boarding school
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 07, 2011
I went to a boarding school and frankly I won't send any of my children to one, especially the pseudo-prison types in Nigeria. Some of the junior students struggled to cope; a number of them became wussies ( the exact opposite of what they were meant to become) because it was just easier to give up than fight back and some turned out to complete menaces and I think as a parent you do miss out on key parts of your child's childhood.

At some point, everybody learns to be independent jare
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Ndipe(m): 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2011
why am I not getting notification for replies on this subject as well as others?
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by lagcity(m): 10:30pm On Oct 07, 2011
Private boarding school with motivated and well adjusted students is great. But sending your kid to an Ajepako Public boarding school will turn him into a rascal or pyshopath. I went to a FGC and there were just too many psychopath senior students there. Imagine torturing and using electricity to shock a JSS 1 boy. And the housemasters don't give a shit too, so if you report the seniors, you've just signed your own death sentence.
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Nobody: 1:57am On Oct 08, 2011
No.
like someone said earlier, it gives them mind of thier own. children are supposed to be trained to have a good mind by the parents not the teachers who have their own children. a good example is muttalab whose parents were too busy with their career to train him and thus made him live most of his life in boarding school right from kindergarten (I stand to be corrected). then he got his own mind. he got radicalized by extremists and the result is known to all of us.
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by oliidell(m): 8:15am On Oct 08, 2011
horny4u:

Just my opinion !

I luv dis post, xplict
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 08, 2011
DrummaBoy:

Good topic
I agree wit those who say Yes and No
If U are a Xtian, trust God to help U do what is right for your child

Amen o, I want my Kid to come to naija for grades 7,8&9 atleast to learn something, especially learn the language more for those 3yrs, I am thinking that Lifeforte or the American Christian (any more idea?) in Ibadan cos her grandparents live in Ibadan. I want her to mix with Naija kids too so she can be attracted to black boys eventually cos there were just 3 blacks in her schl here and all girls , It is a very big decision and those schl bullies bother me a lot, dont want my child treated in a bad way by any mofo. very tough undecided
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 08, 2011
I went to a catholic boarding school and it was not fun at all. U can't even read cuz u r alwayz hiding from seniors. I had to sleep in class for most of my ss1 because of steady punishment and the lack of water and good food didn't help matters. I suffered from jss1-ss2 esp in ss1, but am also super independent now, and haven spent most of my sch yrs away from home ve become emotionally detached from my parents. I won't advice anybody to send their kids to boarding sch, u just make ur child realize he/she doesn't need u. Except wen money mata reach.
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Koikoi(m): 1:17pm On Oct 08, 2011
It all depends on which angle you are looking at it from. If you want to control your child all the way fine, boarding is out of the question. but if you want your child to be independent as he/she come of age, go for boarding. Our society is complex, very complex and from my point of view, letting a child know that life could be pain at times is necessary cos that child will leave your house one day and stay on his/her own. THE LION TEACHES ITS CUB HOW TO HUNT EARLY IN LIFE!
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Deage(m): 1:48pm On Oct 08, 2011
I went to a military secondary school with full boarding facility and no room for day students. It was a bittersweet experience. Bitter in the sense that most times we where brutalized by our seniors in the name of correction before the system was revamped. Sweet in the sense that we learnt the necessary prerequsite of life and how to face this wicked world in most instances. Well charity they say begins at home, if parents can do the first assignment of nurturing their children before sending them to the boarding house, they would have done a great deal. Over there when they get inside and their self will or spiritual background is not yet very strong to resist all these vices earlier mentioned in other posts, then they will definitely fall prey. Whether we like it or not boarding house is the first practical ground of drug addiction,robbery,kidnapping,prostitution,homosexuality,lesbianism,thuggery, cultism, corruption,fake things and their likes. If I would say, I appreciate the boarding system it well looked into, because the mass failure we are having today is as a result of improper use of the internet and inability to read which a core boarding system can correct if the child in question wants to be corrected.
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Nickydrake(m): 5:13pm On Oct 08, 2011
I attended a boarding school where at one time or the other I had to pass the night in classrooms, benches in the refectory, cold, dark and damp laundries, the roof of the junior dorm, and most remarkably, goat pens in the staff quarters. All to get away from sadistic senior students. I had a mattress, but one senior found better use for it in adding to the heap of about four mattresses on which he slept, so I had to make do with the back of overturned cupboards, bare bunks, and on occasion abandoned bed sheets so filthy you'd think ‘twas the devil's own doormat. grin We literally lived like criminals on the run.

Will I send my kids to a boarding school? Yes.

Although it'll seem (or actually be) hellish while they're at it, they'll miss every second when they're out. Plus they'll acquire basic survival skills, Navy SEAL standard, if they're lucky enough to attend the kind I did. grin
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by cicero(m): 10:07pm On Oct 08, 2011
Said it before, my children are not leaving home until their second year in college.
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Ndipe(m): 1:20am On Oct 09, 2011
Nickydrake:

[b]I attended a boarding school where at one time or the other I had to pass the night in classrooms, benches in the refectory, cold, dark and damp laundries, the roof of the junior dorm, and most remarkably, goat pens in the staff quarters. All to get away from sadistic senior students. I had a mattress, but one senior found better use for it in adding to the heap of about four mattresses on which he slept, so I had to make do with the back of overturned cupboards, bare bunks, and on occasion abandoned bed sheets so filthy you'd think ‘twas the devil's own doormat. grin We literally lived like criminals on the run.

Will I send my kids to a boarding school? Yes.[/b]Although it'll seem (or actually be) hellish while they're at it, they'll miss every second when they're out. Plus they'll acquire basic survival skills, Navy SEAL standard, if they're lucky enough to attend the kind I did. grin

And you will still send your kids to the boarding house despite this inhumane treatment you endured. I highly doubt if I would, kids need a nurturing environment where there is love, for them to grow. I think parents back home were afraid that kids wont study if they were daystudents. Probably true.
Re: Is Boarding School Beneficial To Children? by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 09, 2011
I think there's too much reliance on schools to teach and nurture children. I don't believe for a second that boarding schools teach independence, if subjecting children to hellish conditions is considered teaching, i humbly beg to differ.

Whatever values are important to you should be taught to your children by you. The way you live should be enough to teach your children all the skills they need in life, if its not then you need to ask yourself some serious questions.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Managing Your In-laws / Help Her To Stop Being A Lesbian / Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.