Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,444 members, 7,812,335 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner (683 Views)

Switching From Windows To A Linux Distro, Should I Or Should I Not Consider / About To Start Blogging. Which Hosting Do You Suggest For A Start.on Low Budget / Help A Friend: What Online Job Would You Suggest For An Unskilled Individual.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by kokoBoii: 7:45pm On Jul 19, 2023
I have never used Linux in my life before and I don't know anything about Linux....I want to start using Linux as my default OS and getting familiar with it...What distro would you suggest for a bloody noob like me? I don't want anything that looks like windows or reminds me of windows in anyway please..
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by qtguru(m): 8:03pm On Jul 19, 2023

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by Jahzrockballer(m): 9:51pm On Jul 19, 2023
Pop OS

1 Like

Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by airsaylongcome: 2:46am On Jul 20, 2023
I'd say Debian
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by truthCoder: 5:59am On Jul 20, 2023
The tribal distro war of Linux warlords is loading.

I sell popcorn.
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by emoboy4u: 7:17am On Jul 20, 2023
My pick would be Jumanji
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by silento(m): 7:53am On Jul 20, 2023
Debian or Ubuntu
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by Purvan(m): 8:40am On Jul 20, 2023
Open suse
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by airsaylongcome: 10:34am On Jul 20, 2023
truthCoder:
The tribal distro war of Linux warlords is loading.

I sell popcorn.

Anyone going to this kind of war is not wise. E no dey put food for table. I have a strong preference for Debian and Ubuntu with Redhat and it's clones as second option. I'm mostly ssh'd into them anyway so no real value of one over another in terms of optics. With Redhat killing off other Enterprise, I'm kind of vindicated going with Debian as my preference
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by Night0307: 10:47am On Jul 20, 2023
Fedora or Linux Mint
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by Deicide: 8:21pm On Jul 21, 2023
I personally started with Ubuntu, the system I used it with back then wasn't compatible so I got so many issues especially with playing video files and lagging. Then I moved to 🦜 ParrotOs, not the Home version but the Hacking version 😅 Full package. For the 4 years I used that OS I could say I didn't do one hacking with it 😂 though I really enjoyed it and most things I know in Linux I learnt using the Os. Currently am using Arch Linux 🎩 and am enjoying it so far. It's been so long I touched a window system I wonder how things are there these days 🤔.
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by qtguru(m): 8:56pm On Jul 21, 2023
Deicide:
I personally started with Ubuntu, the system I used it with back then wasn't compatible so I got so many issues especially with playing video files and lagging. Then I moved to 🦜 ParrotOs, not the Home version but the Hacking version 😅 Full package. For the 4 years I used that OS I could say I didn't do one hacking with it 😂 though I really enjoyed it and most things I know in Linux I learnt using the Os. Currently am using Arch Linux 🎩 and am enjoying it so far. It's been so long I touched a window system I wonder how things are there these days 🤔.

Is Arch Linux really that tough to configure ? I like my sanity, but I hear Arch has better performance and stability
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by Deicide: 9:02pm On Jul 21, 2023
qtguru:

Is Arch Linux really that tough to configure ? I like my sanity, but I hear Arch has better performance and stability
It's not hard to setup if you follow the arch Wiki guide. Hell I setup my own while attending a morning lecture back then in School. These days arch ISO comes with an arch installer. So if you don't wanna do it manually you could follow that route.
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by tollyboy5(m): 11:31pm On Jul 21, 2023
CentoS is always my favorite grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by Adeoye11(m): 7:55pm On Jul 23, 2023
Infact I'm in that stage too now as the@ op
Please I would like to ask first:
When coming to Linux which distro is best?
I want to opt for either Debian or Ubuntu, but from videos have watched they advised that Ubuntu is better for a Linux beginner.
Second which is the most important in my question and it has been giving my headache please I would like to ask how should I download the Linux?
Should I download a virtual machine first before downloading the type of distro I prefer or I should just download a complete package of either Ubuntu or debian?
If am to download straight without first downloading the virtual machine won't I encounter problem while installing?
And finally what are the advantages of downloading the virtual machine and also what are the advantage of downloading directly without virtual machine.

I earnestly await the experts in the house.
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by kokoBoii: 11:39pm On Jul 23, 2023
Adeoye11:
Infact I'm in that stage too now as the@ op
Please I would like to ask first:
I want to opt for either Debian or Ubuntu, but from videos have watched they advised that Ubuntu is better for a Linux beginner.
Second which is the most important in my question and it has been giving my headache please I would like to ask how should I download the Linux?
Should I download a virtual machine first before downloading the type of distro I prefer or I should just download a complete package of either Ubuntu or debian?
If am to download straight without first downloading the virtual machine won't I encounter problem while installing?
And finally what are the advantages of downloading the virtual machine and also what are the advantage of downloading directly without virtual machine.

I earnestly await the experts in the house.
I'm going with Ubuntu too... I'm planning on running it on an external hard drive....
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by KrazyDave16(m): 12:35am On Jul 24, 2023
Adeoye11:
Infact I'm in that stage too now
Not an expert per se, but here ya go.

No "best" distro, each got their own specific use.

Ubuntu for beginners. There are other derivatives based on different desktop environments like K(DE)ubuntu and L(XDE)ubuntu.
Leave Debian for now. It's not the distro you want to start with as a beginner, given your skepticism.

Get a USB stick, flash it with Ventoy or Rufus (I prefer Ventoy). Boot into UEFI or BIOS, change the boot sequence to start with USB, guides already covers this.

Yes and yes if it's Ubuntu, else use a VM for any other distro like Debian. But still, let Debian be for now.

Some distro (emphasis on some) have this feature, where you either "test" it without doing the full installation to see what works or just install without testing. Ubuntu guides will have them installing without testing, quite normal.

Both have its perks, though I prefer to have it on my main system.
With VM, you can experiment without nuking your system, amongst other reasons, though it has its drawbacks if you're using an average PC or worse, a potato.

For me, I keep a VM to test new things out for different distros and learning purposes, plus I can kamikaze the distro configs without worrying about nuking my system.

Since you're skeptical, best you do everything in a VM first before installing on your main system.
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by truthCoder: 6:19am On Jul 24, 2023
KrazyDave16:

Ubuntu for beginners. There are other derivatives based on different desktop environments like K(DE)ubuntu and L(XDE)ubuntu.
Leave Debian for now. It's not the distro you want to start with as a beginner, given your skepticism.

Get a USB stick, flash it with Ventoy or Rufus (I prefer Ventoy). Boot into UEFI or BIOS, change the boot sequence to start with USB, guides already covers this.

Yes and yes if it's Ubuntu, else use a VM for any other distro like Debian. But still, let Debian be for now.

Some distro (emphasis on some) have this feature, where you either "test" it without doing the full installation to see what works or just install without testing. Ubuntu guides will have them installing without testing, quite normal.

With VM, you can experiment without nuking your system, amongst other reasons, though it has its drawbacks if you're using an average PC or worse, a potato.

For me, I keep a VM to test new things out for different distros and learning purposes, plus I can kamikaze the distro configs without worrying about nuking my system.

Since you're skeptical, best you do everything in a VM first before installing on your main system.

Great comment.
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by Adeoye11(m): 3:43pm On Jul 24, 2023
KrazyDave16:

I appreciate this !
I will download a VM before going for Ubuntu.
Although I use a dell vostro 5550 core i5.

Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by WombBreaker: 12:47pm On Jan 17
Install Gentoo
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by Kepukepu: 3:13pm On Jan 17
Ubuntu
Re: What Linux Distro Would You Suggest For A Total Beginner by silento(m): 3:57pm On Jan 17
Debian or Ubuntu , Ubuntu it makes things easy for u by default

(1) (Reply)

Java Programming Made Easy / How Do I Use This In Several Programs / Php/mysql

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.