Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,145 members, 7,818,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Ghana's Health Sector Ranked 2nd Most Corrupt In Africa After Chad - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ghana's Health Sector Ranked 2nd Most Corrupt In Africa After Chad (1434 Views)

Neuro-psychiatric Hospital Aro, Ranked As Nigeria’s Best Hospital, 6th In Africa / Health Sector Strikes: The Underlying Issues And The Way Forward. / The Decay In Edo Health Sector, A Case Study Of Central Hospital Benin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana's Health Sector Ranked 2nd Most Corrupt In Africa After Chad by RickyRoss1(m): 8:47pm On Oct 07, 2011
A report by the World Bank called "Quiet Corruption" has revealed that 95 per cent of resources allocated to the health sector in Ghana was diverted into the pockets of individuals.

Ghana is second to Chad in terms of the most corrupt when it comes to managing resources in the health sector in Africa.

“Quiet Corruption” is an annual Africa Development Indicators report that revealed that the problem of corruption goes beyond bribes and graft and affects health, education, and agriculture sectors on the continent.

The 2010 report painted a gloomy picture of Ghana’s health sector alleging that officials are failing to deliver government goods and services to the ordinary people they are aimed at.

The sordid situation has saddened the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ). The commission said it has begun developing vigorous programmes to change the attitude of Ghanaians when it comes to corruption.

Speaking on the Citi Breakfast Show on Wednesday, deputy Commissioner of CHRAJ, Richard Quayson, indicated that the commission’s upcoming conference on integrity is a step towards addressing the issue of corruption in the country.

According to him, “because we are not committed to the systems we have put in place, we do not make it work and that also allows people to now begin to see the individuals so that they can get their corrupt practices recognised in the system. ”

“You speak to some institutions and the first impression that they give you is that what you are bringing up is ideal, but it will not work in Ghana.

"In other words they are saying that it should not work so if even you try to introduce it they would make sure that they frustrate the system so that it does not work,” Quayson noted.

CHRAJ said prosecuting people found to be corrupt will not address the situation totally until a vigorous educational campaign is carried out.

“Mindset also has behavioral attitude which has to do with corruption as well and our approach is not just improving the system or getting the system right, but also about the individuals or the people in the society, working on the people to change their attitude,” he added.

SOURCE: http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=220815&comment=0#com
Re: Ghana's Health Sector Ranked 2nd Most Corrupt In Africa After Chad by Mcleo007(m): 11:35pm On Oct 07, 2011
@op, seems u got a beaf for Ghanaians! Truth is, they live better than majority of Nigerians. sad
Re: Ghana's Health Sector Ranked 2nd Most Corrupt In Africa After Chad by RickyRoss1(m): 2:25pm On Oct 08, 2011
Mcleo007:

@op, seems u got a beaf for Ghanaians! Truth is, they live better than majority of Nigerians. sad

You are very wrong, I got no beaf with nobody, I have interest in Ghana because my wife is from there and my first son was born there and I have businesses there. Like now that I am away from Ghana i try to keep up with events in Ghana by visiting Ghanaweb which happens to be the best and most popular website in Ghana. But I am sad that any time i log into Ghanaweb to read news I keep seeing lots of news about rape and stuffs like that and no one reports it here, if these were Ghana becoming the best country in the world it will make headline here on NL. Just go to www.ghanaweb.com and check it out on daily basis, out of every 10 news, 3 is about RAPE? These people are they animals or what

I posted this corruption news yday because if it were good news it will make headlines here on NL. You claiming Ghanaians live better than Nigerians is sad and unfortunate. This is the problem with Nigerians, you stay in Nigeria and say what is happening in Somalia without even setting your foot in the country. Sadly you are not alone, before I ever visited Ghana I was told Ghana has steady power supply and have enjoyed 10 years uninterrupted power supply wow? But the same day i arrived Ghana that was total BLACKOUT in the entire city of Accra that lasted two whole days? I thought it was a joke but this is a daily occurrence in Ghana. Ghana DOES NOT have steady power supply just like in Nigeria. Light goes on and off daily in Ghana just like in Nigeria.

You said Ghanaians live better than Nigerians without any explanation? Is it economically or what? Just yday the same Ghana government said 9 million Ghanaians live in abject poverty without any basic amenities? I posted that news here on Nairaland as well so tell me in simple terms how these people live better than Nigerians when thousands of schools are organized under trees in Ghana?

The next thing you will tell me is that Nigerians are running to Ghana that shows Ghana is better, but that's just lame. Nigerians are traveling to every country on this planet including Iraq, Pakistan etc. We go anywhere we find opportunities. Over 80% of Nigerians in Ghana either have their own businesses or are working for Nigerian companies there. Take me for instance, before i even thought of expanding to another country I already have flourishing businesses in PHC, Lagos, Abuja and Owerri. At some point i said to myself its time to expand and explore the opportunities overseas. I am not just in Ghana, I have presence in several other countries so when you see me in Ghana as a Nigerian dont think I am in Ghana bc its better or bc I have closed down operations in Nigeria. EXPANSION is an evidence of growth. When you visit Ghana you will weep for this country because everything is owned by foreigners especially Nigerians. From the biggest Restaurants, hotels, banks, airlines, construction companies, oil companies, telecom companies and even supermarkets. Its a shame,

Next time if you dont know what to say just keep quiet instead of talking trash,
Re: Ghana's Health Sector Ranked 2nd Most Corrupt In Africa After Chad by Mcleo007(m): 7:00pm On Oct 08, 2011
Nice exposition made so far by u. Unfortunately, I don't want to trade words with u till u answer this question; what is Ur own understanding of "good life" and "majority"?
Re: Ghana's Health Sector Ranked 2nd Most Corrupt In Africa After Chad by reindeer: 6:24pm On Oct 12, 2011
The topic is being derailed.
Forget living standards, this is not a comparism.
Corruption in the health sector is a crime against humanity.
Anyone involved should face the maximum penalty in the land.

(1) (Reply)

Pile / The 10 Most Polluted Cities In The World / Scientists Develop Bionic Eye For People Born Blind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.