Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites (13261 Views)

Dangote Cement’s Pre-tax Profit Hits ₦‎166 Billion / Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux / Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by casualobserver: 7:31pm On Jul 24, 2023
baralatie:

Ariel is Procter and gamble not Unilever product
. I stand corrected. Ariel is crap! We never tried Omo because my memories of Omo growing up was it was crap.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by casualobserver: 7:32pm On Jul 24, 2023
baralatie:

Ariel is Procter and gamble not Unilever product
. I stand corrected. Ariel is crap! We never tried Omo because my memories of Omo growing up was it was crap.

Bottom line is I was shocked that a Nigerian product was as good as the detergents we used import.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by NinjaMetahuman: 7:34pm On Jul 24, 2023
baralatie:

Apart from Unilever,Procter and gamble ,pz,cussons ,r&k
Which other company that is into FMCG that has its industries in Nigeria
90% of famous processed food, are made in Nigeria.
80% of them are produced in Lagos and Ogun to be precise.

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-information.other_food_manufacturing.ng.html
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by baralatie(m): 7:37pm On Jul 24, 2023
casualobserver:
The same thing happened to klin detergent.
Ariel detergent pushed it (klin)out of the market at a time (as per import product back then).
But trust indians they reinvented the so klin concentrated and omo brought color gaurd.
Unfortunately klin introduced color gaurd and increase in detergent volume.
But there is a new product in town now but the managers of the product just messed it like kilode
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by baconline(m): 7:39pm On Jul 24, 2023
In reality it's about a 90% profit drop when relating to dollars, this company might be in its way out of the country soon
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by baralatie(m): 7:40pm On Jul 24, 2023
NinjaMetahuman:
90% of famous processed food, are made in Nigeria.
80% of them are produced in Lagos and Ogun to be precise.

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-information.other_food_manufacturing.ng.html
Can you name the companies?🙄🙄
I have mentioned up to six on this page plus the indian product so klin?
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by baralatie(m): 7:41pm On Jul 24, 2023
baconline:
In reality it's about a 90% profit drop when relating to dollars, this company might be in its way out of the country soon
Like pz
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by casualobserver: 7:59pm On Jul 24, 2023
baralatie:

The same thing happened to klin detergent.
Ariel detergent pushed it (klin)out of the market at a time (as per import product back then).
But trust indians they reinvented the so klin concentrated and omo brought color gaurd.
Unfortunately klin introduced color gaurd and increase in detergent volume.
But there is a new product in town now but the managers of the product just messed it like kilode

We currently use klin, I actually went to check the name of the brand before I posted earlier. I don’t understand what you mean by pushed out of market. Is klin made by Indians. Is klin and old product?

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by baralatie(m): 8:18pm On Jul 24, 2023
casualobserver:

We currently use klin, I actually went to check the name of the brand before I posted earlier. I don’t understand what you mean by pushed out of market. Is klin made by Indians. Is klin and old product?
Klin is a middle aged product(pld per say).
It is an Indian product.it gave omo a big run for money but omo held on with it's jumbo sack back.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by casualobserver: 8:24pm On Jul 24, 2023
baralatie:

Klin is a middle aged product(pld per say).
It is an Indian product.it gave omo a big run for money but omo held on with it's jumbo sack back.

I see, I thought it was new as I had never heard of it.

Anyway I think the issue with Unilever and all these multinational is the FMCG market is crowded, there are new players and it’s a zero sum business. Every time a consumer buys from a competitor, it takes away a sale from you. A consumer only uses one bar of soap to wash or one detergent to wash. Plus brand loyalty is very important in FMCG. Once a consumer moves from one brand to another, they tend to stick with the new brand until they have a problem with it, so not only do you lose that sale you lose future sales. That’s why many manufacturers have different brands in the market e.g Friesland with peak milk , coast, Olympia, three crowns…..all from the same manufacturer…..oh and by the way none of it is real milk.

4 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by drsmut: 8:29pm On Jul 24, 2023
They've been eating Nigeria since before it became Nigeria. Make dem sef follow the people hear am. No profits for anybody. We all die here.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by 1x2x3: 8:47pm On Jul 24, 2023
Only if People know the origin and history of Unilever in Nigeria.

Here is who they really are for those of you that aren't inform

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pulse.ng/news/local/unilever-royal-niger-company-and-how-nigeria-transformed-from-a-business-into-a/15tym8p.amp
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by NinjaMetahuman: 8:52pm On Jul 24, 2023
baralatie:

Can you name the companies?🙄🙄
I have mentioned up to six on this page plus the indian product so klin?
I literally sent you link of plenty names.

You are still asking.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by OLOKOESHIN: 9:04pm On Jul 24, 2023
Sunnyski:
This is just the beginning unless PO is made president.
PO that made Anambra best state in Nigeria
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by SalamRushdie: 9:32pm On Jul 24, 2023
This is bad , real bad
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by victorVIC1(m): 9:35pm On Jul 24, 2023
Sirseedorf:
Yes I know, but don't you think it is better to reduce salary of an employee than being sacked sometimes.

@Eriokanmi

There's a limit to how much these companies can absorb. For a company that has a decline in pre-tax profitability of over 70%. They have to make the difficult decision to retrench inorder to keep the business afloat. Unfortunately, two of my friends in their supply chain unit were affected.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by victorVIC1(m): 9:45pm On Jul 24, 2023
NinjaMetahuman:
Competition dealing with Unilever.

So many of their products have serious competition, so it it expected.

They are not dominating the market anymore.

Trust me, this is not competition. I work in the raw material supply chain network of this sector and I can tell you with certainty that their competitors are equally feeling the heat. They are all reducing their forecast cos reality is no longer aligning with projections. The FX is also a major blow cos this has seriously increased their landed cost and these costs can barely be transferred to the end consumers.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by JOemmy(m): 9:53pm On Jul 24, 2023
This is the British company that first came to nigeria and claimed the entire nigerian territory as it's business empire they later sold nigeria and it's people to the British govt for some thausands of pounds unfortunately today's some few evil and corrupt nigerian politicians have adopted that method of selling nigeria amongst themselves.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by cassyrooy(m): 10:05pm On Jul 24, 2023
Brendaniel:
You see bad governance, it affects everyone, even Dangote will feel it, he might get richer, no doubt, but he will feel the presence of bad governance in the environment, social life and so on, some people think tribal dominance is more important than good governance..

Like I have been telling them here, their eye will clear....

Oga it is very risky, I grew up seeing companies, especially in the manufacturing sector closing up, from Dunlop to textile and many others I can't even remember now as a result of bad governance over the years, some of those companies are presently doing well in Ghana today....
This entry is something they won't unfortunately understand.

Keep dominating the political space while the economic lever is being controlled by those who doesn't have political sway.

You sabotage them through political landscape and they get even with you through the economy.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by BABAawoo47: 10:20pm On Jul 24, 2023
NinjaMetahuman:
Yeah you see them but are you buying them?

In the past, they are standard, you either buy omo, Vaseline or you go for way more expensive product. It's not the case anymore..

Cost of material is not the reason they are losing money, you sell what you buy.

Other companies are also buying same raw materials and they are doing fine..

They just couldn't compete with those companies interms of lowering their quality to meet the purchasing power of Nigerians who are dealing with inflations..
exactly, if you've worked there you'll understand. Unilever Nigeria is less than 1% of entire Unilever Global.
They shutdown russia own with $60bn Nigeria no even enter $250m. So they will never reduce quality for competitiveness like good mama that is just base powder unlike sunlight and omo that will add so many important imported ingredients to put it to standard. Unfortunately the pricing can't be competitive. Detergent has been running at a loss due to this reason for 3yrs, so they shutdown it down

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by BABAawoo47: 10:23pm On Jul 24, 2023
casualobserver:

I see, I thought it was new as I had never heard of it.

Anyway I think the issue with Unilever and all these multinational is the FMCG market is crowded, there are new players and it’s a zero sum business. Every time a consumer buys from a competitor, it takes away a sale from you. A consumer only uses one bar of soap to wash or one detergent to wash. Plus brand loyalty is very important in FMCG. Once a consumer moves from one brand to another, they tend to stick with the new brand until they have a problem with it, so not only do you lose that sale you lose future sales. That’s why many manufacturers have different brands in the market e.g Friesland with peak milk , coast, Olympia, three crowns…..all from the same manufacturer…..oh and by the way none of it is real milk.
it powdered milk na, it's real milk. Just that it has been heated to powdered form. Then they import and mix with water here. That's why it's called evaporated.
They heat it to purify and preserve the milk. stop saying what you don't know
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by casualobserver: 10:37pm On Jul 24, 2023
BABAawoo47:
it powdered milk na, it's real milk. Just that it has been heated to powdered form. Then they import and mix with water here. That's why it's called evaporated.
They heat it to purify and preserve the milk. stop saying what you don't know

Please go and check. Powdered milk is 29% palm oil and other stuff

You are the one saying what you don’t know. I was in this business at some point so I know. If it is not fresh milk, you are really wasting your time and deceiving yourself. The next best is UHT milk although most of the nutrients have been destroyed under UHT but it is milk. Powdered and evaporated milk is really just a waste of time, a lot of chemicals and other stuff go into making powdered or evaporated milk.

If you must drink canned milk make sure it is unsweetened full cream and dont make a habit of it.

Same way margarine is bad for you, Eat butter instead.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by obyno82: 10:40pm On Jul 24, 2023
NinjaMetahuman:

In the past, they are standard, you either buy omo, Vaseline or you go for way more expensive product. It's not the case anymore..

Cost of material is not the reason they are losing money, you sell what you buy.

They just couldn't compete with those companies interms of lowering their quality to meet the purchasing power of Nigerians who are dealing with inflations..

Name which companies that are doing fine.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by seguno2: 11:32pm On Jul 24, 2023
iwaeda:

APC grounded everything. Reason for high rate of unemployment. Cost of production, unrealistically exorbitant grin grin grin grin grin

No stress bro. Baba Alagbado has the solution below.

Insecurity: Recruit 50 million youths into army, Tinubu urges FG

All Progressives Congress chieftain, Bola Tinubu, on Monday, urged the Federal Government to recruit at least 50 million youths into the Nigerian Army to boost Nigeria’s fight against terrorism, banditry and all forms of internal and external security threats confronting the nation.

Tinubu spoke at the 12th colloquium to celebrate his 69th birthday in Kano State.

He said, “We are under-policed and we are competing with armed robbers and bandits to recruit from the youths who are unemployed —33 per cent unemployed?”

“Recruit 50 million youths into the army,” he stated, adding that “what they will eat —cassava, corn, yam, will grow here.”

The APC chieftain, while reacting to recent statistics by the National Bureau of Statistics that over 23 million Nigerians are jobless, also urged the government to create jobs for youths in the agricultural value chains.

He said, “Don’t talk about illiteracy, anybody who can hold a gun, who can handle a gun, who can cock and shoot is technically competent to repair a tractor in the farm.”

https://punchng.com/insecurity-recruit-50-million-youths-into-army-tinubu-urges-fg/
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by seguno2: 11:37pm On Jul 24, 2023
NinjaMetahuman:

You can’t sell what you buy, when the disposable income is going down due to inflation, unemployment and increased extreme poverty from APC’s balablu townhall confusion economy that started with Buhari and continues with Tinubu.

Buhari not sound in economy, foreign affairs —Obasanjo

“I will tell you what I know and I will tell you what I don’t know. I know Gen. Muhammadu Buhari. He served under me in the military. His characteristics that I know, his behaviour that I know, he has not deviated from them. He was never a perfect man, he is not a perfect man and no leader can ever be a perfect man because they are human beings. But if you read my book, what I said about him is correct. He is not a hot person when it comes to economy. He is not a very hot person when it comes to foreign affairs. But he will do well in matters of military and he will do well in fighting Boko Haram.”

https://punchng.com/buhari-not-sound-economy-foreign-affairs-obasanjo/?amp
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by grandstar(m): 1:04am On Jul 25, 2023
004gist:
angry

APC brought a problem and now say we should endure why they solve the problem.

Buhari came and borrowed money from left, right and center. @ 2015 external debt was 7 billion dollars and by 2022 it hit 40 billion dollars now they are using 96% revenue to service debt

had it been they used just 20 billion from the loan to build refinery we won't be facing this crisis rather they used it for unproductive venture like building railways to Niger Republic which cost 2 billion dollars, search for oil in North East which cost 2.5 billion dollars plus other stupid spending

You are again repeating this myth! Don't you people ever listen?

You want them to build refineries? What happened to the existing ones? They've been left moribund.

What do you think will happen to the new ones?

Most importantly, why build refineries? Because you believe it will make locally produced fuel so cheap that there'll be no need for a subsidy.

It is a blatant myth. Meles Kyari has already said refining it locally would make little or no change to the price.i have always known this. Even Dangote has repeatedly said he would sell it at the international price.

No economist has ever said supported the notion of building refineries first. It is is always the layman on the street demanding for it with rhe belief that it will drastically reduce the price of petrol and other refined oils. It won't.

Which bank will lend you $20bn to build refineries in a country where the refined products are subsidized, sold below cost? You want them to lose their money? You think they are the Nigerian government?

Nigeria is broke. There's no money to subsidize fuel again. You contradict yourself by showing 96% of the budget revenue would be spent on debt servicing. So where's the $10bn to subsidize petrol will come from? It will be borrowed, adding to the debt!

A major component ofNigerias present debt is for oil subsidy. It has to stop.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by Poske95(m): 1:05am On Jul 25, 2023
With this goes jobs and some prosperity for people......
Also, reduced number of good ups
Darn Govt.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by 004gist: 2:05am On Jul 25, 2023
grandstar:

You are again repeating this myth! Don't you people ever listen?

You want them to build refineries? What happened to the existing ones? They've been left moribund.

What do you think will happen to the new ones?

Most importantly, why build refineries? Because you believe it will make locally produced fuel so cheap that there'll be no need for a subsidy.

It is a blatant myth. Meles Kyari has already said refining it locally would make little or no change to the price.i have always known this. Even Dangote has repeatedly said he would sell it at the international price.

No economist has ever said supported the notion of building refineries first. It is is always the layman on the street demanding for it with rhe belief that it will drastically reduce the price of petrol and other refined oils. It won't.

Which bank will lend you $20bn to build refineries in a country where the refined products are subsidized, sold below cost? You want them to lose their money? You think they are the Nigerian government?

Nigeria is broke. There's no money to subsidize fuel again. You contradict yourself by showing 96% of the budget revenue would be spent on debt servicing. So where's the $10bn to subsidize petrol will come from? It will be borrowed, adding to the debt!

A major component ofNigerias present debt is for oil subsidy. It has to stop.

I don't even understand what u are saying... what's your point here?

we should keep importing fuel? that way it will be cheaper?
do you know that we are suffering from trade imbalance already ? and a responsible government must seek ways to tackle and correct this trade imbalance by encouraging import substitution industries and Import Substitution Industrialization (ISI)

1) refining our own fuel here means government won't spend billions of dollars importing fuel. naira won't be under pressure.

2)dangote budget 9$ but later spent 18 billion... most of this money was borrowed from Nigerian banks... namely Access Bank; GT Bank; Zenith; UBA; Fidelity and Afriexim Bank etc... browse the Internet n learn things

3) the faster we get our fact right by building new refinery so as to produce our fuel the better will our economy heal.

4) turn around maintenance on the old scrap refinery built over 40 years ago has not yielded anything... those refinery are old.... they are 40 years old plus

any one that tells you we don't need new refinery but we should keep importing, mounting pressure on scarce dollars then that person is an enemy of the Naira.

am an economist... let me school you a little.... kiss
Please study more on economic theory such as Mercantilism and Economic Nationalism.

But for now here is why Nigeria must do everything possible to stop the importation of everything :

Importance of export to a country

Economic Growth:Exports play a crucial role in boosting a country's economic growth. when the list of what we export grows way longer than what we import then true economic prosperity for all Nigerians
Foreign Exchange Earnings: Exporting allows a country to earn foreign currency. if we can refine our own oil and surplus could be exported to West African countries, that way we earn more foreign currency
Foreign Investment Attraction: Countries with strong export-oriented industries often attract more foreign direct investment (FDI).
Enhanced Standard of Living: Export-led growth can lead to an improved standard of living for citizens... today we import everything including toothpicks,fuel which God has blessed us with this has made Nigerians poorer not richer

creating jobs
improving the overall well-being of its citizens.

disadvantage of export to a country

Trade Deficit
Job Displacement
Loss of Domestic Revenue
Dependency on Foreign Suppliers
Reduced Domestic Investment
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by nosa2ekundayo: 3:54am On Jul 25, 2023
NinjaMetahuman:
Competition dealing with Unilever.

So many of their products have serious competition, so it it expected.

They are not dominating the market anymore.

This Unilever people have a very dark story in the creation of Nigeria. .Personally, I strongly believe they were never interested in any business, the so called business they are doing is just a cover up for their main agenda in Nigeria... .simply monitoring their investment=Nigeria
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by smsinnigeria(m): 4:10am On Jul 25, 2023
[quote author=EmekaMD post=124631410] Time to buy shares

Wrong move!

Dividend is paid from the profit.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by stepaside1: 4:28am On Jul 25, 2023
004gist:

I don't even understand what u are saying... what's your point here?

we should keep importing fuel? that way it will be cheaper?
do you know that we are suffering from trade imbalance already ? and a responsible government must seek ways to tackle and correct this trade imbalance by encouraging import substitution industries and Import Substitution Industrialization (ISI)

1) refining our own fuel here means government won't spend billions of dollars importing fuel. naira won't be under pressure.

2)dangote budget 9$ but later spent 18 billion... most of this money was borrowed from Nigerian banks... namely Access Bank; GT Bank; Zenith; UBA; Fidelity and Afriexim Bank etc... browse the Internet n learn things

3) the faster we get our fact right by building new refinery so as to produce our fuel the better will our economy heal.

4) turn around maintenance on the old scrap refinery built over 40 years ago has not yielded anything... those refinery are old.... they are 40 years old plus

any one that tells you we don't need new refinery but we should keep importing, mounting pressure on scarce dollars then that person is an enemy of the Naira.

am an economist... let me school you a little.... kiss
Please study more on economic theory such as Mercantilism and Economic Nationalism.

But for now here is why Nigeria must do everything possible to stop the importation of everything :

Importance of export to a country

Economic Growth:Exports play a crucial role in boosting a country's economic growth. when the list of what we export grows way longer than what we import then true economic prosperity for all Nigerians
Foreign Exchange Earnings: Exporting allows a country to earn foreign currency. if we can refine our own oil and surplus could be exported to West African countries, that way we earn more foreign currency
Foreign Investment Attraction: Countries with strong export-oriented industries often attract more foreign direct investment (FDI).
Enhanced Standard of Living: Export-led growth can lead to an improved standard of living for citizens... today we import everything including toothpicks,fuel which God has blessed us with this has made Nigerians poorer not richer

creating jobs
improving the overall well-being of its citizens.

disadvantage of export to a country

Trade Deficit
Job Displacement
Loss of Domestic Revenue
Dependency on Foreign Suppliers
Reduced Domestic Investment

I'm not sure the other guy said don't build refineries. By all means, we need refineries but not to be built by govt but rather private entities like Dangote has done. Refineries in Nigeria will not translate to substantially lower fuel prices as many people believe but its advantage as you rightly pointed out is that it reduces significantly our use of scarce forex to import products thereby putting pressure on the Naira. Local refineries also generate jobs, guarantees energy security and encourages other industries that benefit from the numerous products from the refinery.

Both of you have your points and I believe you can align on some facts while drawing the necessary conclusions.
Re: Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites by phemmyfour: 7:50am On Jul 25, 2023
DWJOBScom:
APC still selling shit to the country
Blamed PDP for 15 yrs. They are about to complete 15yrs with Tinubu's tenure yet no improvement

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Register A Trademark In Nigeria / Nigeria Rice Mill Hits 250 Tonnes Daily Production / Intercontinental Group Threatens To Pull Out Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.