Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

Sinead O'connor Dead: Irish Music Legend Dies Aged 56 - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Sinead O'connor Dead: Irish Music Legend Dies Aged 56 (208 Views)

What A Loss: Irish Songstress Sinéad O'connor Died At 56 / History Of Mamman Shata, Arewa Cultural Music Legend / Fela Anikulapo Kuti: The Africa Music Legend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sinead O'connor Dead: Irish Music Legend Dies Aged 56 by mariovito(m): 8:23pm On Jul 26, 2023
Irish singer Sinead O'Connor has died at the age of 56, it was reported last night
Sinead O'Connor has died at the age of 56 after years of mental health battles, her 'devastated' family confirmed.

The Irish singer shot to stardom across the world in 1990 by her heartrending cover of Prince's Nothing Compares 2 U

It comes a year after the mother-of-four's son Shane, 17, took his life in January 2022 after escaping hospital while on suicide watch.

At the time of her death, the musician, who changed her name to Shuhada' Sadaqat in 2018 when she converted to Islam, was thought to be spending her time between Co Roscommon, Ireland, and London.

In her last Tweet, O'Connor posted a photo of Shane and said: 'Been living as undead night creature since. He was the love of my life, the lamp of my soul. 'We were one soul in two halves. He was the only person who ever loved me unconditionally'.

In a statement, O'Connor's family said: 'It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad.

'Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.'

Tributes have been pouring in for the adored singer after her death was announced.

Irish Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said: 'Really sorry to hear of the passing of Sinéad O'Connor.

'Her music was loved around the world and her talent was unmatched and beyond compare.

'Condolences to her family, her friends and all who loved her music.

O'Connor was born into a troubled family in Dublin on December 8, 1966.

Later in her life she claimed she started having mental health issues because her mother physically and sexually abused her as a child.

She was placed in corrective school aged 15 after bouts of stealing. An Grianán Training Centre, in Dublin was previously a notorious Magdalene laundry for 'fallen women'

Although O'Connor said it was no longer an abusive place, she said being kept away from her family was upsetting.

However, one of the nuns there spotted her musical talent and bought her a guitar and pushed her to have lessons.

Through an advert in a Dublin music magazine she met Colm Farrelly and together formed the band Ton Ton Macoute, which brough O'Connor to the attention of the global music industry.

After signing with Ensign Records she released her album, I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got in 1990, which sold more than seven million copies and included her breakthrough hit Nothing Compares 2 U.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-EF60neguk&pp=ygUXbm90aGluZyBjb21wYXJlcyB0byB5b3U%3D

Re: Sinead O'connor Dead: Irish Music Legend Dies Aged 56 by Shapeaso: 9:03pm On Jul 26, 2023
Rip to her. I really don't know her shaaa

(1) (Reply)

'regina Daniels Paid 15 People To Attend My Cooking Class,' Reveals Chef Hilda B / I Am Ready To Pay 5million Naira Just To Have A Date With Tiwa Savage… Nvariety / Imole Mohbad Tribute Candlelight Vigil | Enugu Okpara Square

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.