Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,680 members, 7,809,575 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country (4551 Views)

Banks To Shut Down ATMs Over Fuel Scarcity / FG To Commence Work On Three Coal Power Plants / First Bank To Shut Operations For 5 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by homerac7: 6:01am On Oct 10, 2011
Blackout Looms Nationwide As PHCN Plans To Shut 5 Power Plants
On October 10, 2011 · In News

By OSCARLINE ONWUEMENYI

ABUJA – The Power Holding Company of Nigeria,PHCN, has announced plans to shut down five power plants across the country, a plan that will drastically reduce the present state of power generation.

The announcement, which was made, yesterday, by the company may likely hurt the Federal Government’s ambition to attain about 5,000 megawatts of electricity by the end of December.

Few weeks ago,  government celebrated the achievement of over 4,050 Mw, marking the highest quantum of electricity generated in the history of the nation.

PHCN, in a statement, said it “regrets to inform its esteemed customers nationwide of the notice received from Nigeria Gas Company Limited,NGC, of the planned shutdown of Shell Petroleum Development Company, SPDC, Utorogu and Ughelli East Gas Plants, Oben, Sapele and Ogharefe gas plants of Saplet and Pan Ocean for maintenance purposes.

“This will be for seven days, commencing October 11, 2011.”

The maintenance, according to NGC, will lead to complete shutdown of Geregu, Sapele, Ughelli, Omotosho and Olorunsogo power stations throughout the period, thus resulting to a cut back in generation of over 1400Mw.

It added that, “This loss of generation will entail minimal load shedding in many parts of the country.

“We, therefore, appeal to our valued customers and other stakeholders for understanding and support, while assuring that power supply situation will considerably improve once gas supply is restored to these stations.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/blackout-looms-nationwide-as-phcn-plans-to-shut-5-power-plants/
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by mjconcept(m): 9:02am On Oct 10, 2011
More grace to their elbow,Nigeria is developing.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by scopusng(m): 9:07am On Oct 10, 2011
Hahahahaha.

This is no news, Nigerians are already used to darkness. Abeg, make I go buy fuel for my gen jare.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by aribitoye(m): 9:21am On Oct 10, 2011
at least we should be happy they informed us before hand-we are really developing!
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by ikechukz(m): 9:29am On Oct 10, 2011
Bleep phcn.Bleep nigeria.in my own view think some people are getting something big from this.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by jamace(m): 9:34am On Oct 10, 2011
Must PHCN shutdown all those at once for maintenance purpose? Can't the shutdown be down in phases to reduce the ugly effect?
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by member479760: 9:42am On Oct 10, 2011
na oyinbo u dey talk! blackman plan waitin stage by stage or step by step?
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by llbhuds: 9:51am On Oct 10, 2011
this is not a new thing anymore, i did my youth service then at PHCN power station in sapele (ogorode). there were 10 steam powered turbines that were functional when this power station was commissioned then in the 70s by obasanjo. as at 2006 when i did my NYSC, it was only 3 out of the 10 that is still functioning and 1 of these 3 was about to break down due to lack of maintenance. and i was told by the coppers that were still der after my service that the fed. govt had started construction for another 10 turbines to be powered by gas.
in delta state alone, there are 2 power stations and as at 2006 these 2cities (ughelli & sapele) still dont get 24hrs constant electricity supply so shutting these stations down will be of no impact to these cities
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by doctokwus: 10:14am On Oct 10, 2011
llbhuds:

this is not a new thing anymore, i did my youth service then at PHCN power station in sapele (ogorode). there were 10 steam powered turbines that were functional when this power station was commissioned then in the 70s by obasanjo. as at 2006 when i did my NYSC, it was only 3 out of the 10 that is still functioning and 1 of these 3 was about to break down due to lack of maintenance. and i was told by the coppers that were still der after my service that the fed. govt had started construction for another 10 turbines to be powered by gas.
in delta state alone, there are 2 power stations and as at 2006 these 2cities (ughelli & sapele) still dont get 24hrs constant electricity supply so shutting these stations down will be of no impact to these cities

And what exactly is your point?
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by daroz(m): 10:47am On Oct 10, 2011
jamace:

Must PHCN shutdown all those at once for maintenance purpose? Can't the shutdown be down in phases to reduce the ugly effect?

Good question
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by nasoeb: 10:51am On Oct 10, 2011
if we could wait from time immemorial till now, then at least we can wait for "seven days"
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by stepo707: 11:14am On Oct 10, 2011
Awesome!
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by Igosun: 11:18am On Oct 10, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin omg who cares we all have our gens.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by ebere1712: 11:26am On Oct 10, 2011
Naija has a very very very very high threshold of tolerance.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by oneuniquemind(m): 11:33am On Oct 10, 2011
PLAN B! I trust,alwes available.even if una no inform us ahead,we knw our way.maintainance ma foot,na here we go sidan c d outcome.shake ma head 4 9ja.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by homerac7: 11:36am On Oct 10, 2011
But the report said its due to NGC's inability to deliver gas to d stations because shell (NGC's main supplier ) will b carrying out routine maintenance on her equipment. And I think d mentioned stations r d one connected to d affected part of d shell facility.

I don't see how its PHCN's or Jonathan/Government fault.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by cantell(m): 11:39am On Oct 10, 2011
Igosun:

grin  grin  grin grin  grin omg who cares we all have our gens.
Lol.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by KBrown: 11:49am On Oct 10, 2011
One thing that is clearly evident is that, at last, the PHCN management seems to be awake. I noticed significant improvement in the number of hours of power supply when I was in Ilorin last week and when I returned to the north, the improvement was also there. Considering the fact that nobody in the past (including PHCN management) used to know which plant will work or not work in the near future, this notice before hand shows that they are not sleeping. It will at least give us enough chance to fuel our gens to survive the dark days ahead. grin grin grin
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by KayB: 12:56pm On Oct 10, 2011
Developing It is glaring how bleak NIGERIA'S FUTURE is wt opinions like these. A whole country is @ d mercy of a foreign company that is taking style 2 protest its reservation on P.I.B bill. Shutting gas down, selling oil blocs wt no respect to govt & relocation threat to operate in GHANA. We r blindfolded wt religious & tribal sentiments
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by otokx(m): 2:09pm On Oct 10, 2011
SHELL is doing a maintenance then NGC who is doing nothing says they cannot supply gas to NEPA who utilize the gas. What really is the point of NGC who are just middlemen doing nothing? NEPA should have ensured that the power station has 2 suppliers of gas which can be either SHELL or CHEVRON but you know how Nigeria things are.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 10, 2011
abeg make ee no pass 7 days. Pls, which states are likely to be affected most?
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by engrj(m): 5:31pm On Oct 10, 2011
Fresh Air.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by honeric01(m): 6:23pm On Oct 10, 2011
Igosun:

grin grin grin grin grin omg who cares we all have our gens.

Your gen is about to be useless come Jan 2012 (1 liter goes for N145)
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by erico2k2(m): 7:06pm On Oct 10, 2011
everyone is quick to jump at the throat of the managers of PHCN  and FG,while most posters here cant even comprehend simple grammar and make sense from it,most of us here failed to realize that  the shut down is as a result of NGC doing routine maintenance,something we lack those years hence we have decaying infrastructures
llbhuds:

this is not a new thing anymore,  i did my youth service then at PHCN power station in sapele (ogorode). there were 10 steam powered turbines that were functional when this power station was commissioned then in the 70s by obasanjo. as at 2006 when i did my NYSC, it was only 3 out of the 10 that is still functioning and 1 of these 3 was about to break down due to lack of maintenance. and i was told by the coppers that were still der after my service that the fed. govt had started construction for another 10 turbines to be powered by gas.

they have finished  and completed the new  power plant as part of the NIPP  and also there is now a step down in the town, it has improved loads from b4
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by moshoodn(m): 7:44pm On Oct 10, 2011
Kudos to PHCN. . . . At least power supply was good in the last few weeks.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by cristog120: 8:34pm On Oct 10, 2011
anybody that says he has not noticed a significant improvement in power supply recently on this forum should be counted among the enemies of development nigeria has suffered in their hands in the past.here in orile ,lagos i dont complain much about light anymore knowing how it used to be.the day our saviour is going to take over the mantle of leadership in this country,many of nigerians wont even know instead they will continue calling for his throat. thumb up PROF. BARTH NNAJI
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by otokx(m): 10:40pm On Oct 10, 2011
^^^ No power improvement in the uniport area b4 now, students even demonstrated.
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 11, 2011
Er, PHCN, ever heard of backup? Plan B?
Re: PHCN Plans To Shut Down 5 Power Plants Across The Country by MMM2(m): 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2011
dats rubbish

(1) (Reply)

Questions About Production Of Dettol, Izal, Liquid Soap? / Baba Ijebu Lotto Must Pay Us...drop Ur Games. / Are Banks Open For Biz In Lagos Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.