Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,600 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre (9843 Views)

No More Importation Of Petrol Once My Refinery Is Ready- Dangote / Petrol Dealers: We Can’t Sell At N87 Per Litre / Kerosene Price To Be Slashed To N5O Per Litre - NNPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by Otunbakay(m): 8:01pm On Oct 11, 2011
People! If GEJ eventually removed the subsidy totally: let us not get our selves deluded with the #142 we are even envisaging. The figures may be far more than that with all the manipulation the importers/marketers would bring into play.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by pappy2000: 8:03pm On Oct 11, 2011
edicolove:

Why do you guys enjoy peddling rumours? There are plans to deregulate the oil sector but no one has announced how much fuel will sell after deregulation so where did you guys get the 142 or 150 figures from? The price will simply be determined by several market forces including local refineries capacity and others. Why do you guys enjoy peddling falsehood about your country? It is sad. God bless Nigeria and if you dont like Nigeria, please relocate. We dont need your evil wishes.

Just to add that Lybia and Saudi both produce and refine crude oil and have refineries working at full capacity. That is exactly what will happen to Nigeria when we have refineries that can cater for the nations needs.

You are seeming to lack knowlegde,and from what you have written I can see you are an slowpoke.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by dplordx(m): 8:06pm On Oct 11, 2011
Your suffer never begin grin
Shebi na 146 Naira next year. Na 300 d oil cartel and cabal dey eventually go and d dollar go change for 300naira
another era of oil queue and hyper-inflation.
Useless bunch of animals. U never begin papa. In 2015, vote back PDP. Awon Onyiara samoni.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by AHA1(m): 8:09pm On Oct 11, 2011
JOHN 11 : 35
JESUS WEPT.

If Jesus were in Nigeria today, He will still weep for nigeria, because of the suffering of the Masses.
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by AlabaSlim: 8:29pm On Oct 11, 2011
Hmmmmmmm, ,
naaa waaa ooooo
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by mjconcept(m): 9:39pm On Oct 11, 2011
The truth hurts but it has to be told GEJ is really trying Nigeria has alot of problems created by the past Governmet and comparing The Uk and Usa with Nigeria is just like somebody comparing u and your great grand father in terms of wisdom and experience,those countries are already developed even before Nigeria got her independence.

NIGERIA NA WE OWN OO LETS JOIN HANDS AND MAKE AM A BETTER PLACE.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by edicolove: 9:47pm On Oct 11, 2011
dplordx:

Your suffer never begin grin
Shebi na 146 Naira next year. Na 300 d oil cartel and cabal dey eventually go and d dollar go change for 300naira
another era of oil queue and hyper-inflation.
Useless bunch of animals. U never begin papa. In 2015, vote back PDP. Awon Onyiara samoni.

Dont exhibit Ur ignorance. Prices don't go up in a deregulated market. They go down because of competition. The telecoms market is a good example. Deregulation produces competition which produces a price war and prices go down, not up. Fuel may never sell for more than N80 in a deregulated market. Maybe a little bit higher when it starts but it will then come down as investors build new refineries and the competition increases. There is nothing like cabal in a deregulated market. Why has the cabal not conspired to increase telecom prices if it is that simple?
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by Muza(m): 9:58pm On Oct 11, 2011
edicolove:

Dont exhibit your ignorance. Prices don't go up in a deregulated market. They go down because of competition. The telecoms market is a good example. Deregulation produces competition which produces a price war and prices go down, not up. Fuel may never sell for more than N80 in a deregulated market. Maybe a little bit higher when it starts but it will then come down as investors build new refineries and the competition increases. There is nothing like cabal in a deregulated market. Why has the cabal not conspired to increase telecom prices if it is that simple?
U ar either a govt official or a member of the cabal, telecom is not fuel, they ar very different things, do u know PPPRA,the agency incharge of setting up d price template nd paying subsidy to marketers,obviously u dnt,u just read sm few news in d papers nd dat GEJ's post about steve jobs,then swallow nd digest evrythn d govt tells u.
Why can't d govt build refineries or compel marketers to build refineries before removing subsidy,why ar they putting the cart before d horse,why are they in so much hurry to 'free up money' while ignoring the impending consequences.
Think deep,dis things is more than it seems on d surface.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by dayokanu(m): 10:37pm On Oct 11, 2011
We voted Odechukwu not Retardeen
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by edicolove: 10:39pm On Oct 11, 2011
Muza:

U ar either a govt official or a member of the cabal, telecom is not fuel, they ar very different things, do u know PPPRA,the agency incharge of setting up d price template nd paying subsidy to marketers,obviously u dnt,u just read sm few news in d papers nd dat GEJ's post about steve jobs,then swallow nd digest evrythn d govt tells u.
Why can't d govt build refineries or compel marketers to build refineries before removing subsidy,why ar they putting the cart before d horse,why are they in so much hurry to 'free up money' while ignoring the impending consequences.
Think deep,dis things is more than it seems on d surface.

You tried to sound intelligent but ended up making a mess of it.

1. PPPRA fixes prices because it is not a deregulated market. They will not be relevant in a deregulated market. There will be a new bill to implement a deregulated market and organisations like PPPRA will not be relevant or will have completely different briefs.
2. Government could not build refineries because they spent all the time doing coups and counter coups and politicking. Even your beloved Buhari did not add anything to the development of the refineries while he was president and while he was petroleum minister. We are still using the refineries built by Gowon and OBJ in his first rule.
3. Refineries take time and mega money to build. It is not like you are building roads.
4. Marketers dont build refineries. Investors and Oil drilling companies build refineries. Marketers are simply that. Marketers!
5. There is nothing in it that is more than it seems. You guys want a change of the country but are not willing to put up with things that will bring change. Where you thinking that change will come easy? It will come with a lot of sacrifices and stuff that will bear on the population. But there are decisions that must be made and actions that must be taking and some of us support it because we think long term not immediate gains
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by 4Play(m): 10:42pm On Oct 11, 2011
Muza:

Whether its telecom services or fuel products, a deregulated market will not give rise to a cabal as market competition drives pricing.

No marketer will build any refinery for you when they are not going to recoup the costs since the Govt has fixed the price of fuel at N65. As for the Govt building refineries, haven't you learnt anything from the refineries the Govt has built so far or things like the power generation plants that the Govt has been building?
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by Nobody: 10:55pm On Oct 11, 2011
mjconcept:

The truth hurts but it has to be told GEJ is really trying Nigeria has alot of problems created by the past Governmet and comparing The Uk and Usa with Nigeria is just like somebody comparing u and your great grand father in terms of wisdom and experience,those countries are already developed even before Nigeria got her independence.

NIGERIA NA WE OWN OO LETS JOIN HANDS AND MAKE AM A BETTER PLACE. 

Really? You have just said it like a PDP member.
So Singapore and Malasia were also developed before Nigeria became independent, right?

Mister man the wisdom of Solomon had nothing to do with the age of Methusela. GEJ was not elected to "try". He knew Nigeria had a lot of problems and claimed to have the solutions. So far, it is looking like he lied to get your vote. We need results not half baked excuses.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by edicolove: 11:05pm On Oct 11, 2011
^^^Exactly what results do you need or did you expect within the duration he has spent that you havent got? Please be specific.

And please Singapore and Malaysia never went thru the destructive phases that Nigeria went thru. Countries that went thru similar experiences took multiple years to come out of it. Some, like Russia are still grappling with it.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 11, 2011
Bad Luck
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by Olaone1: 11:29pm On Oct 11, 2011
4 Play:

Whether its telecom services or fuel products, a deregulated market will not give rise to a cabal as market competition drives pricing.

I respect you view on economics but this is NOT entirely true.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by Nobody: 11:30pm On Oct 11, 2011
edicolove:

^^^Exactly what results do you need or dod you expect within the duration he has spent that you havent got? Please be specific.

We expected better quality in ministerial and other appontments. For instance what does Stella, the owner of SPG that imports and sells petroleum products, know about aviation?
We expected to see the Salami case handled differently.
We expected massive rail and road projects to have started to give jobs and reduce money available for politicians to steal. Drive through Lagos to Benin, Ikot Ekpene to Odukpani, PH to Enugu and you will see that quick intervention is required.
What about FEED (front end engineering design) contract for the 2nd Niger bridge
We thought he will stop police extortion on our roads; it doesn't take removal of subsidy to achieve that.
How about setting up curruption courts and putting scores of guilty politicians behind bars for a long time.
Don't even get me started on security
How about reducing the cost of running this government? Don't you think that N1.6m daily to feed some people in the presidency as proposed is insensitive?

I can go on and on but i am sure you get the drift.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by Nobody: 11:42pm On Oct 11, 2011
edicolove:

And please Singapore and Malaysia never went thru the destructive phases that Nigeria went thru. Countries that went thru similar experiences took multiple years to come out of it. Some, like Russia are still grappling with it.

Sorry I missed this part.
You may be right but those countries also did not earn the humongous oil revenue that Nigeria earned after the destructive phases (whatever that means). Germany and Japan had to re-build from scratch after the 2nd world war; look where they are now. In fact there is enough evidence to indicate that war and strife can serve as catalysts for development.
So i believe Singapore and Malaysia are good comparison for Nigeria.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by maasoap(m): 11:48pm On Oct 11, 2011
It really saddens my heart whenever I see my people swallowing govt deceits hook, line and floater. The only responsibility of the FGN in Nigeria is the subsidy on fuel. By removing subsidy completely, they claim it will free #1.2trillion into govt purse. But where will this money end up when corruption is still the order of the day? Even in economically developed nations, govt still help the masses apart from provision of infrastructural facilities. These include unemployment benefits, social welfare packages for the elderly, food stamps, etc. It is a pity that, up till this moment, we haven't learnt that Nigeria has always had best policy formulation but worst policy implementation. 2,3,4 years after this new policy, they will come back to tell us why we didn't see the positive results we're being promised now.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by ziccoit: 12:00am On Oct 12, 2011
edicolove:

Why do you guys enjoy peddling rumours? There are plans to deregulate the oil sector but no one has announced how much fuel will sell after deregulation so where did you guys get the 142 or 150 figures from? The price will simply be determined by several market forces including local refineries capacity and others. Why do you guys enjoy peddling falsehood about your country? It is sad. God bless Nigeria and if you dont like Nigeria, please relocate. We dont need your evil wishes.

Just to add that Lybia and Saudi both produce and refine crude oil and have refineries working at full capacity. That is exactly what will happen to Nigeria when we have refineries that can cater for the nations needs.

Baba, oil sector is already partially deregulated. If I don't know all, I know that kerosine is fully deregulate. But, b4 kerosine was fully deregulated, it was always available at a cheaper price. What do we have after the full deregulation? The price shoot up and kerosine scarcity crawled in.
What would make the case of PMS(petrol) different after full deregulation? My brother, we don't have a Nigeria leader. They are all rulers. Likewise, we are yet to start practising democracy but civilian rule. Anyway, who vote them in? They rigged themselves in. So we don't expect them to be responsible.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by maasoap(m): 12:06am On Oct 12, 2011
@blackwind, I think the simple question we need to ask @edicolove is where does he leave at the moment? This will help us to know how to respond to his pro-subsidy removal posts. FGN annual budget has hit #4trillion, 75% on recurrent expenditure and out of the remaining 25% for capital projects, the capital budget implementation has never exceeded 50% while budget implementation for recurrent expenditures has been consistently above 90%. Apart from putting infrastructural facilities in place, we know the social responsibilities of many nations both developed and developing. But the question is: what will be the social responsibility of the FGN after the removal of fuel subsidy?
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by edicolove: 12:12am On Oct 12, 2011
Iam sorry I dont get any drifts because all your listed expectations are either illogical, unachievable or irrational. Some even fantasy

We expected better quality in ministerial and other appontments. For instance what does Stella, the owner of SPG
that imports and sells petroleum products, know about aviation?

You cannot determine who is qualified or who is not, in terms of ministerial appointments. You do not have the resources to determine that. Only those with access to their CVs and those who interviewed them can determine that. Most of the dissents in ministerial appointments are partisan. It is a case of people not happy their own was not chosen. That someone sells petroleum doesnt mean thats all they know. I have about 3 different careers i can naturally pursue

We expected to see the Salami case handled differently.

Nigerians didnt expect to see the Salami case handled differently. The ACN and CPC and their supporters did. That is another partisan example. Salami was obviously a compromised judge. It was too obvious. If he was really popular in the Judiciary, you would have seen many judges support him.

We expected massive rail and road projects to have started to give jobs and reduce money available for politicians to steal. Drive through Lagos to Benin, Ikot Ekpene to Odukpani, PH to Enugu and you will see that quick intervention is required.

Except you are fantasizing, rail projects are not done in 5 or 6 months. Major road projects too. The last time I travelled the Benin road, work was on going and some major parts have been done. I cannot defend the speed and quality of the project though. I think it is not as fast as should be. But I dont see how that is a reason to call GEJ a failure.

What about FEED (front end engineering design) contract for the 2nd Niger bridge

So you expect the 2nd Niger bridge to have started already? You see why I called some of your expectations fantasy?

We thought he will stop police extortion on our roads; it doesn't take removal of subsidy to achieve that.

This is one realistic expectation. I can support you on this one but I am also realistic to know that the presidents hands have been full from day one. Some things take time. It is like expecting Obama to end racial police incidences withing 6 months. He has not even been able to do it in close to 4 years in office. Some problems are institutional. You cant just change them by the wave of your hand. But like I said, it is a realistic expectation and I concurr

How about setting up corruption courts and putting scores of guilty politicians behind bars for a long time.

This is one that makes me laugh. Many people kept saying Buhari would have put people behind bars. The presidnet cannot put any one behind bars. The law courts are the only ones empowered to do that. The president cannot even arrest anyone until there is an established case or the courts will throw out the case. That is why the EFCC has been told to do their home work before arresting anyone henceforth else the case will drag on and on in court. You cannot send a man to jail just because public opinion says he is corrupt. You can only send a man to jail iof substantial evidence pronounces him as guilty.

Don't even get me started on security

There is nothing to start on security, Terrorism is a world wide problem. Norway woke up one morning to a terrible terrorist massacre. Was it because of GEJ? These are modern problems the world has to grapple with. You cannot just roll out tanks to Maiduguri and start to shoot everyone. It doesnt work that way. The same guys like you are still berating OBJ for destroying Udi. The key to tackling terrorism is intelligence. The police and other security outfits have never encountered this kind of enemy before. It is a learning process for them considering their under-funding all these years. It is easy to critisize but you must understand the problem before you do.

How about reducing the cost of running this government? Don't you think that N1.6m daily to feed some people in the presidency as proposed is insensitive?

This I cannot defend or refute. I dont know where you got your figures from and I dont know how many people this budget takes care of. But I do know that Aso rock standard is like Nicon Hilton or Sheraton standard. The average cost of a meal in an environment like Aso rock will be in the region of 3 to 5 thousand naira. If you have ever stayed in a 5 star hotel, you will know what I am talking about. Aso rock standard is actually more than a normal 5 start hotel. Presidents of countries use up big budgets for their upkeep. It is the reality of the day. An Obama trip abroad can cost as much as a  whooping 200, 000 dollars a day. You can check that out.

So please give me some solid stuff to back your point as these are way off
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by edicolove: 12:25am On Oct 12, 2011
maasoap:

It really saddens my heart whenever I see my people swallowing govt deceits hook, line and floater. The only responsibility of the FGN in Nigeria is the subsidy on fuel. By removing subsidy completely, they claim it will free #1.2trillion into govt purse. But where will this money end up when corruption is still the order of the day? Even in economically developed nations, govt still help the masses apart from provision of infrastructural facilities. These include unemployment benefits, social welfare packages for the elderly, food stamps, etc. It is a pity that, up till this moment, we haven't learnt that Nigeria has always had best policy formulation but worst policy implementation. 2,3,4 years after this new policy, they will come back to tell us why we didn't see the positive results we're being promised now.

You keep repeating the falsehood that subsidy helps the masses. It doesnt. It help the marketers. why is that so difficult for you to see. The money that pays for subsidy is not free money. It is money meants for the peoples development. We are currently giving it to marketers freely. That has to stop. You talk about corruption as if it is not easier for GEJ to connive with the marketers. It is more difficult for GEJ to embezzle the money after it enters the federation account than for him to embezzle the money thru the marketers. Isnt that obvious enough?

maasoap:

@blackwind, I think the simple question we need to ask @edicolove is where does he leave at the moment? This will help us to know how to respond to his pro-subsidy removal posts. FGN annual budget has hit #4trillion, 75% on recurrent expenditure and out of the remaining 25% for capital projects, the capital budget implementation has never exceeded 50% while budget implementation for recurrent expenditures has been consistently above 90%. Apart from putting infrastructural facilities in place, we know the social responsibilities of many nations both developed and developing. But the question is: what will be the social responsibility of the FGN after the removal of fuel subsidy?

I live right here in Lagos. I will feel the pinch of removal of subsidy in my car and other areas, maybe even more than you. But I dont believe in government handouts. I believe Nigerians and their mentality must change in other for the country to change. It is like the "Take back wall street demonstrations in the US". Those lazy ass government leeches will prefer to demonstrate for one week living on government food stamps than to go look for a job. liberalism is destroying the world and God help us when we become indoctrinated.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by ziccoit: 12:28am On Oct 12, 2011
@edicolove is a Nigerian politician in making. Promised people what you could not do and prepare to tell them why they couldn't be done.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by edicolove: 12:32am On Oct 12, 2011
^^^The only people that promised to fix Nigeria in six months are the ones that didnt win because most people knew they were lying. No one, except God, can fix Nigeria in 6 months and no one promised you that. You are really fantasizing.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by Thatdave(m): 12:38am On Oct 12, 2011
A-HA:

JOHN 11 : 35
JESUS WEPT.

If Jesus were in Nigeria today, He will still weep for nigeria, because of the suffering of the Masses.
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

You sound like pastor bakare.
This must be the type of bible they preach at later rain.

If they think that removing fuel subsidy will save the nigerian crisis let them go ahead.
I dont even know where these hausa nairalanders are getting the N142 after-fuel-subsidy price.

REVEOLUTION REVOLUTIOn
they are just wishing they could put Saint Ayotalla buhari on the throne.
Unfortunately, even bokoharam is not finding it easy.

Any day you people start that useless youth-copper-killing revolution again, you will see what we will do to all these shoe makers, suya sellers and one handed sharia victims.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by msb247(m): 12:59am On Oct 12, 2011
GUYS 4GET ABOUT LIBYA AND STOP COMPARING. LET'S ALL FOCUS ON HOW WE CAN MAKE THINGS BETTER FOR OUR DEAR COUNTRY!
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by macroworld: 1:00am On Oct 12, 2011
On another note, the UK price is extremely high ! Having said that, there is a high tax element in their price/ litre.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by msb247(m): 1:00am On Oct 12, 2011
All fingers are not equal and can never be!
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by msb247(m): 1:01am On Oct 12, 2011
As for UK, its kind of expected but what of Naija? with all the crude oil cry
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by ebere1712: 2:25am On Oct 12, 2011
Guys I would go with the government on this one. I don't really care about free money, because they would still steal the money. However, we cant successfully deregulate that sector without removing that subsidy. If the deregulation is going to be complete; in that they wouldn't arrest people operating small scale refineries, but instead work with them to meet all the requirements, then I'm in. Take a look at everything that government tries to control; they are always failures. I want the onus to go back to average Joe to extract and refine oil. It would create business opportunities and conserve our depleting foreign reserves. But Gej should channel that money into some kind of state welfare. If I was in his position I will kill two birds with one stone.
1) the corrupt OPEC would go and I trust Nigerians would invest in small scale refineries if they are helped towards the right direction. Prices can only genuinely come down this way. Prices would not go down from any other means. If we wait for big bureaucratic monopolies, they wouldn't bring the prices down, that's if they come. This would also reduce the influence of multi-nationals in Nigeria. Telecoms in Nigeria is growing and its an example of a successful semi-deregulated sector. But telecoms prices are still very high and this is because it's controlled by big monopolies. If we manage to get oil giants to invest in refineries in Nigeria, we would have less scarcities but there wouldn't be much of a price reduction. We need to go many small scales and not few big scales.
2) I would lure people into registering their identity in the government system with the offer of some kind of social welfare (health, money, food or education loans). This is good for stuff like law enforcement, patriotism, election, and much more. This would be done using the money freed up from the subsidy removal. This way people can use the welfare money to add up and buy fuel.
Re: Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre by otokx(m): 4:16am On Oct 12, 2011
GEJ is a weakling and would not remove the subsidy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Business Can I Invest 100,000 Naira / Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa / Segun Agbaje's Performance As Guarantee Trust Bank (GTB) MD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.