Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,418 members, 7,954,657 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:18 AM

Internships With Google - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Internships With Google (4297 Views)

Internships /jobs For Computer Engineer /scientists / Android Programming With Google Cloud Chat - Expert / Help With Google Merchant Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internships With Google by skydancer: 9:43pm On Oct 11, 2011
Just to inform you guys, if you're interested in the Google Internship programs, you might want to perform a test on Codility. Just got inside information that they may use the site to test for credibility of your programming skills. smiley
Re: Internships With Google by skydancer: 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2011
Try this challenge cheesy

A zero-indexed array A consisting of N integers is given. An equilibrium index of this array is any integer P such that 0 ≤ P < N and the sum of elements of lower indices is equal to the sum of elements of higher indices, i.e.
A[0] + A[1] + , + A[P−1] = A[P+1] + , + A[N−2] + A[N−1].
Sum of zero elements is assumed to be equal to 0. This can happen if P = 0 or if P = N−1.
For example, consider the following array A consisting of N = 7 elements:
A[0] = -7 A[1] = 1 A[2] = 5
A[3] = 2 A[4] = -4 A[5] = 3
A[6] = 0
P = 3 is an equilibrium index of this array, because A[0] + A[1] + A[2] = A[4] + A[5] + A[6].
P = 6 is also an equilibrium index, because: A[0] + A[1] + A[2] + A[3] + A[4] + A[5] = 0 and there are no elements with indices greater than 6.
P = 7 is not an equilibrium index, because it does not fulfill the condition 0 ≤ P < N.
Write a function
class Solution { public int equi(int[] A); }
that, given a zero-indexed array A consisting of N integers, returns any of its equilibrium indices. The function should return −1 if no equilibrium index exists.
Assume that:
N is an integer within the range [0, 10,000,000];
each element of array A is an integer within the range [−2,147,483,648, 2,147,483,647].
For example, given array A such that
A[0] = -7 A[1] = 1 A[2] = 5
A[3] = 2 A[4] = -4 A[5] = 3
A[6] = 0
the function may return 3 or 6, as explained above.
Complexity:
expected worst-case time complexity is O(N);
expected worst-case space complexity is O(N), beyond input storage (not counting the storage required for input arguments).
Re: Internships With Google by ektbear: 4:27am On Oct 12, 2011
Err.

So conceptually couldn't I just:

1) Set i=0.
2) calculate the sum to the left and right of index i, producing two numbers A_i and B_i. I can compute the sums in O(N) time, of course (A_i=0 and requires no computation, B_i equals the sum of the list minus A[0] and takes O(N) time to compute.)
3) Then for k=(i+1). . .  (N-1), compute A_k and B_k. Note that I can do this cheaply just be adding/subtracting components from the original array. So I pay constant time to do each update on an iteration.
4) If I find an equilibrium index when looping from k=(i+1). . . (N-1), then halt the loop and output it.

I pay at most O(N) time in stage (2), and O(N) in stage 3. Throughout this problem, I'm also using only a constant amount of space beyond the original N length list.

I think the above algorithm is correct. All that would be left would be to implement it in Java (shouldn't be too hard.)
Re: Internships With Google by naijaswag1: 10:31pm On Oct 13, 2011
good thinking good product.nice pseudocode,i followed it and came up with the code below.dealing with p=0 and p = n-1.i know it doesnt run in o(n) time.i have problem analyzing my own code's running time.

public class Solution {

/**
* @param args
*/

public static int equi(int[] A){
int sum = A[0],sum2 = 0;
int p = -1;

for(int i=2;i<A.length;i++){
sum2 += A[i];
}

if((sum2 + A[1]) == 0)
return 0;
if(((sum2 + A[0] + A[1])-A[A.length-1]) == 0)
return p = A.length-1;

if(sum == sum2)
return 1;

for(int k=2;k<A.length;k++){
sum += A[k-1];
sum2 -= A[k];

if(sum==sum2)
return k;
}

return p;

}
public static void main(String[] args) {
// TODO Auto-generated method stub

int[] A = {-7,1,5,2,-4,3,0};

System.out.println(equi(A));

}

}
Re: Internships With Google by ektbear: 4:46am On Oct 15, 2011
^-- cool!
Re: Internships With Google by Danyl(m): 5:33am On Oct 15, 2011
Is there any programming buk that can take u thru this array programming?
Re: Internships With Google by naijaswag1: 9:46pm On Oct 15, 2011
@Danyl

Most data structures and algorithms book always start with a study on arrays because it is a basic data structure that is very handy and is used to build other abstract data structures.

I have some algorithms books (sedgewick and goodrich) in java.
Re: Internships With Google by ektbear: 10:10am On Oct 16, 2011
^-- I've heard good things about the Sedgewick book, though never used it.

I can personally recommend using "Data Structures and Algorithms in Java" by Lafore. Nice, clear explanations.
Re: Internships With Google by naijaswag1: 2:36pm On Oct 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- I've heard good things about the Sedgewick book, though never used it.

I can personally recommend using "Data Structures and Algorithms in Java" by Lafore. Nice, clear explanations.

Lafore is good but i prefer Goodrich and lately sedgewick which is next to knuth's in levels of abstraction while i read skiena for practical and programming challanges purposes.

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Learn Programming In Delta State / Dual Boot IOS 8 On Android ( NO ROOT) / Deep Learning And Machine Learning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.